Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sorceress is going to be revealed as Teela's mom, right? Is that what the mad babies thought was a lesbian moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Teela's shortcomings are that she holds a grudge and has trouble reconciling challenges to her world view. It's especially fitting when you look at who doesn't see that.

In Episode 1, Sorceress is like "I've halted time to look at you one last time, Teela" and Teela's like "...wut?" I think that's the scene "fans" are interpreting as a woke lesbian thing because that's what the internet has primed them for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I love how nobody wants to tell Teela about it In the context of her meltdown over Prince Adam's secret. I'm pretty sure at least three other characters know.

"You all knew that my best friend was He-Man?! WTF! gently caress you all!"
"Teela, about the Sorceress-"
"No time for that!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Panfilo posted:

One thing some of them complained about, is this stereotype in what they think is feminist-wokist media that any and all male characters have to be incompetent and bad.

I was thinking of that during the sequence where Man At Arms does everything right and is a badass after defying Teela.

They're complaining about an imaginary version of the show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

tsob posted:

I mean, that scene is worth complaining about, because there's really no reason those people should have needed rescue from that situation by someone else.

It served to show that they weren't totally ready for the challenges ahead. As their first encounter, it established that things might be more dangerous for this super-group of MotU all-stars. It effectively raised the stakes for the next scene imo.

But my point is that the manchild complaints were about some unaired/ reverse version of the show where Teela shows up and saves Man At Arms because he's a dumb fumbling man. in the name of girl power.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's still better than if he'd actually gone to babysit the Sorceress because she's old and a woman.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

tsob posted:

I wouldn't call having one other person there to help hold off a literal army "babysitting".

This was after that scene, when literally nobody was attacking her castle because there was nothing there to steal and no armies left.

It was "oh what if the guy we just defeated uh wants to go check if there's anything left in Sorceress's basement."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You've got the sequence of events very wrong.

E: Ih I think i see what you're saying, but while that might make real-world tactical sense it would be lovely writing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It effectively conveys something you disagree with. It's fine to acknowledge, but doesn't make it bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

tsob posted:

Of course it's fine to acknowledge if that's true, but as I said, I don't think it is because I don't think that scene effectively does the thing people have said it's there for and I don't think that scene adds anything of note. I think it's poo poo not because it's doing a thing I disagree with, but because it's doing a thing I don't think is necessary and doing it badly to boot.

Oh ok.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FWIW: GI Joe, Jem!, and The Real Ghostbusters have all held up astonishingly well. He-Man was always a bit of a clunker, I think it was aimed at a much younger audience.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought someone put googly eyes on Man at Arms' shoulder.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That looks very much like a phone game I wouldn't install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think it's also the "Masters Babies" thing. Instead of airbrushed wizard-van mighty heroic fantasy, it's tweens living in cyberpunk who discover that they're all he-mans.

It's not "making GBS threads on my childhood" or whatever, but it's very clearly intended for kids instead of me, and that's fine.