Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Panfilo posted:

So is clownfish TV just blowing it all out of proportion? I'm surprised they got so mad, I saw the first few episodes and I could totally recognize the goofy vehicles that were originally toys from 35 years ago.

Clownfish TV is a antiwoke clickbait channel. Channels like that have opinions on media that tend to be very pedestrian and reactionary, because they're trying to pander to a particular narrative about media, to the tonedeaf exclusion of anything of value in a work they're raging about. People of that mentality are also ~extremely online~ and in spite of being vocal enough to reviewbomb and downvote, don't really matter in the scheme of things as they are only a very small number of the people who will actually watch the show. Most regular people (and kids) are going to watch the show and enjoy it on its own terms.

I do think it's hilarious though, that the same people who raged for years claiming that Rey in Star Wars & MCU Captain Marvel are Mary Sues are mad that Kevin Smith didn't make HMR into a Gary Stu vehicle. I think a lot of these people have lost all perspective.

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff in this first season that is layered, texutred, and interesting - setting up HUGE stakes that will pay off later. They also pulled off making He-man/Adam as more of an actual hero who means something, to the world and to the other characters, rather than just be a shallow boy scout. I was genuinely impressed.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I think it's very much a taste thing.

They made an entire narrative emotional arc out of a question that kids have been asking since the original show, which is why doesn't Adam tell Teela he is He-man. So the first season is actually really clever narrative arc of the fallout and reconciliation from that question. A lot of the negative-review-bombing dorks raging about the show don't see just how deeply loving clever starting off the first half of the series that way is.

I was completely invested in Teela - they pulled off giving her weight to her character, and she carried the show. The best scene in the show by far was her being terrorized by and then facing down scare-glow. Scare-glow's voice actor was amazing and gave Teela's character something terrifying & meaningful to overcome.

This is a story that has weight, teeth and texture to it the same way that a campy but well-written young adult fantasy novel does. Which is a loving amazing feat, considering this is a show that came out of a corny toy infomercial.

Edit: Also anyone who doesn't see that the series is setting up Andra as becoming a new 'Champion of Grayskull' which will mean Teela is the new Man-At-Arms mentor/sidekick to her He-man should probably have their head examined. There's frequent talk of passing the torch to new champions in the show, and Andra seems to be showing qualities that will make her a good hero when she takes center stage later. The line with Skeletor going 'who are you?' in particular at the end, insulting this new face, seems like a moment of hubris on skeletor's part that is going to come back to rather satisfyingly bite him in the rear end. Anyway, we can look forward to the antiwoke manchildren raging again when that audience-telegraph gets revealed. :laugh:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 24, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Also imagine my shock that angry manchildren are repulsed by yet another narrative where the core thematic thread is "grow the gently caress up, get your poo poo together, and stop living in the past." :rolleyes:

It's like there's some sort of trend going on here...

My response to people like that is to tell them to log off and go see an opera or go to a museum or something.

As in, get some culture and perspective outside of navel-gazing at your nostalgia-media hoard.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Szmitten posted:

There was never a perspective, they just want the lovely status quo from 40 years ago to continue.

Also most people talking about this I guarantee either weren't alive when the original series aired or hadn't thought about He-Man for years until they smelled something to bait chuds with.

Not even that. I don't think these people even know what they want.

If it was more like the original, it would have also been seen as 'too woke' and 'virtue signaling' too because...well. Just look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBqEgnyb68o

If things were too edgy, they would have complained it is too edgy. If things set up surprisingly mature emotional stakes that don't give the easy fanservice answer, it's 'woke.'

What possible form could this have taken that wouldn't have resulted in some kind of backlash from these bozos.

The only thing I can think of is if they basically just made a really boring dungeon crawl with pretty animation, but no serious conflict or emotional stakes. Which could still potentially invite backlash for being too shallow.

That's the problem with the fandom menace mob - if you want to make meaningful work or a take that isn't just shallow fanservice specifically aimed at 'pleasing the fandom menace' types, there's not really any pleasing them. They want to feel like THEIR subset is being pandered to - even though their tastes are inherently contradictory to what they object to. (Also, remember that these are the same morons who even turned on Zack Snyder after he trashed them for being toxic philistine reactionaries.) Any work whose creators aren't going out of their way to court and pander to them and their antiwoke narrative specifically is going to invite their backlash no matter what it does.

That's why there's no pleasing them. They're going to rage no matter what - and the fandom menace clickbait youtubers who have built careers out of that outrage have a monetary incentive to be as negative as possible. That's also why their lovely opinions are irrelevant.

It just sucks that they are going to make a lot of negative noise on social media that is outsize to their actual very-niche size.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 24, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

One of the show's main writers confirmed that Adam is not dead, just wounded, and will be coming back in the second half of the season. Kevin Smith also further confirmed that He-man will be back as well. So yeah, the show is just setting up really dire stakes.

Article with that info here: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-man-masters-of-the-universe-revelation-kevin-smith-netflix-1235026831/

The Last Call posted:

The part that fascinated me the most:

The show has always been a combination of fantasy and sci fi so what happens when the fantasy element begins to fail? Tri-Klops creating some crazy technology based religion made a lot of sense. I mean if one aspect of life fails and you got this other side to everything why wouldn't you lean into that as some sort of salvation or a way to keep going forward. I really want to know what was that stuff he had people drinking. Is there something else behind it all? I really wanted to know more.

I also liked that Roboto is the counterpoint to Tri-Klops's technocult. He really is a transhuman - a being created out of the neuropathways of his creators - but he's compassionate, caring, and accepting of others different from himself. I'm vaguely wondering if Tri-Klops or his ilk might wind up humbling himself to this Robot Jesus making a possible miraculous 'return' in season 2. But yeah, Roboto shows that even with magic failing, maybe the technology can still offer hope - and in fact, he offers hope when he fuses magic with technology....which uh, makes me wonder if the magic fused with him might make him really do a Robot Jesus.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If you want a dose of reality of just how miniscule the people raging & review-bombing on RT about MOTU:R are, take a look at the replies to this tweet by Kevin Smith.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1419324002468827138
It's overwhelmingly positive responses that seem very sincere, and a lot of people talking about how moved they were by the show. This is more than likely how most of the people who watched the show reacted to it.

It's easy to get gaslit by reactionary types in fandom circles, to be lead to believe their views are somehow representative of the norm. When in fact, they are extremely niche - especially in this case.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the people who gave the show a fair chance but didn't care for it (and might have measured criticism to make of it) - I'm talking about the people whose reaction is mostly shaped by internet/fandom culture war related nonsense. Many of them are also those self-appointed Truefans(tm) whose understanding and appreciation of a thing seems more rooted in gatekeeping & reactionary nostalgia than sincere enjoyment.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 26, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A big thing in these dumb internet culture wars about entertainment: You can also just 'not like something that isn't for you,' it doesn't have to be this ritualized song-and-dance about woke/antiwoke nonsense or whatever other ideological culture war poo poo you need to pump up your ego over for 'not liking thing.'

Also these dumb pitched battles over this stuff is fundamentally meaningless - it's people on the internet who think freaking out about entertainment on social media is activism. The most that ever happens is show creators or journalists get harassed (which loving sucks, don't get me wrong) and a few people make money off of farming nerd moral panics.

It's a big stupid distraction by people who are just poised to make themselves endlessly miserable over hyperconsumerist pop-cultural dead-ends. No matter how much nostalgia and sincere love you have for them, the cultural stakes couldn't be lower than escapist media franchises that were made to sell toys and games. (Edit: Okay, I've got one lower; mascots made to sell junkfood to kids.)

I dunno - maybe the void in these people's lives is filled by basically LARPing that they're in a meaningful war over this poo poo. Maybe the fake culture war IS the escapism now for them.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 26, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Here's a small-time youtuber who enjoyed the show; one of the positive voices being drowned out by the algorithm of negative clickbait attacking this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkwg3nEPEk

He makes note of a lot of details that are nice touches that really dedicated fans would pick up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

That comes in handy since a lot of the outrage miners are calling it the worst betrayal SINCE Last Jedi.

There's also a small but spirited effort to talk about the 'controversy.'

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1420565042274111492

Imagine trying to say 'because somebody called the Critical Drinker said it was bad!'

I like how the wikipedia editors are really merciless with emphasizing just how small and insignificant the creators and audience of rage-bait rumor mill youtube clickbait channels are.

They really are too - in spite of them flooding youtube with rage-bait vids attacking the series and Kevin Smith, most people enjoy the show. The people raging on youtube and in comments sections about this series are incredibly itty bitty.

Also, :lol:

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1419292912752410625

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, that small edit war on Wikipedia over MotU:R to talk about the "controversy" which included the amazing phrase 'establishment of feminism' is now over, it having been scrubbed and instead has reviews from places like the AV Club and Daily Beast and not, you know, the Quartering and the Critical Drinker. They also talk about the review-bombing. I'm sure we'll get more 'content' over it but it's mostly a Dennis Nedry "See, nobody cares" situation now.

Best-case scenario in part 2 of the series is there is nothing for the antiwoke ragebait youtubers to really go after with Prince Adam / He-man getting more screentime, so the fake ginned up 'controversy' just kinda peters off and gets forgotten.

But there will probably be some clever Kevin Smith twist that sends them into a frenzy.

Or they'll just make something up to be mad about. Who cares with these fuckin psychos.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 2, 2021