Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I haven't read all of them, or even enough to give more than a general description, but I really enjoy Storm whenever I read one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(Don_Lawrence)

Astronaut flies into some anomaly, returns a few hundred years later to a post-apocalyptic Earth.
Not the most original story, but I really dug the art since it reminded me of those gorgeous Chris Foss scifi covers.

The one that stuck with me the most was the Von Neumann Machine where they investigate the titular machine and find (I don't remember how) a life-size replica of Dante's Inferno built underground.
They have to traverse it, walking over frozen lakes with the legs of liars sticking out, enormous demons guarding gates, etc. It was amazing.

The Incal was already mentioned, but I thought The Metabarons was way better and definitely a classic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabarons

The story follows multiple generations of Metabarons, unstoppable warriors who have such improbable powers that they single-handedly destroy entire spaceship armadas.
It would have been easy to turn this into a mindless action spectacle, but the story itself very much follows the pattern of Greek epos, dealing way more with telling legends than just showing fights.
There is still a lot of gorgeous violence, but it has so much more to it.

If you've seen Jodorowsky's Dune (if you haven't, what is wrong with you?) this is a very enjoyable experience, because all those ideas he failed to put to film were poured into The Metabarons instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread