Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You probably have upwards of a million games in your Steam list if you're anything like me, haha and you haven't played any of them.

That changes today.

This is the thread for you to promise that you're going to finish (as in see the ending screen, don't need to 100% it or anything) up to five games before you buy (or buy/play) any other games.

Post in this thread with the list of games and :toxx: to it because that's how we know you're serious. You can post your Steamid if you like, but it's not obligatory.

END ME SCOOB posted:

A really good tool for this which I force myself through is Steam Completionist. You can set up to 10 games and fill them in yourself or randomly assign them to slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'll go in on this to knock down the list some. Purchasing nothing more until I complete:

As you can see some of these are a lot closer than others.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
2+ hours of loving about with trains later, Cat Machine is clear. Woo.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I give myself till January.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I should really be sleeping but gently caress it! That's Bleed 2 down as well before bed. I was a moron to not knock two tiny games like this off my backlog for years of installation (I bought B2 at launch)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think this is a pretty neat idea for a thread where you set more actual goals for what games you are going to focus on next and the like, but there is already a general backlog one:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387318

I think this idea of sorta self-toxxing is neat though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ah! Hadn't seen that one. This is slightly different, so I'll just leave it up and let the fates play out.

Me, I'm going to finish Prey, Tyranny and Deus Ex HR before buying any more games. They're mostly done (apart from Tyranny).

:toxx:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

One more down, and that's probably the last one I can go through really quickly with Sonic Forces done now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice work!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I legitimately cannot tell if I've changed in my tastes so much since the original released, or if it's just that Rock of Ages 2 is a lame followup, but either way, I beat God at foosball and that's got me down to one more before the toxx ends.

Now I just have to finish... a whole JRPG, yaaaaaaaay...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Just one JRPG?

I have started trying to finish games lately, after looking at all the games I've bought over the years and not played near enough of. It's been really fun, and I have finished a whole bunch of things I probably wouldn't have before. For example, Persona 5, a game in a series I love, which ended up being the first one of them I've finished.

That, plus last year's exercise in catching up on Yakuza before 6 came out (I'd only ever finished 3), now has me looking at how many series I buy and don't finish (or in some cases, even play). The worst of them are:

SMT/Persona: owned 17, finished 1.
Spiderweb games: owned 14, finished 0.
Atelier: owned 7, finished 1.
Nihon Falcom: owned 9, finished 0.

(I've finished enough Final Fantasy and Assassin's Creed games to keep them off this list, for now.)

So I'm going to pick sets of games from these lines. Before I purchase a new game, I have to finish two braces, with the following exceptions: games filling in holes in sets (I don't own the middle Atelier Dusk or Mysterious games, for example) and physical copies of games I collect that have Steelbook cases or art books or whatever for the first run. I still can't play those, though, until I would've been able to buy them, and they count as an allowed purchase.

Braces:

Atelier Arland trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru)
Atelier Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie)
Atelier Mysterious trilogy (Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle)
Avernum I, II, III (remake)
Avernum IV, V, VI (older remakes)
Nethergate, Xanadu Next
Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Persona 3, Persona 4
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1, 2
SMT: IV, SMT: IV Apocalypse
SMT: Soul Hackers, SMT: Strange Journey
Trails in the Sky 1, 2, 3
Trails of Cold Steel 1, 2
Ys: Origins, Ys: Oath in Felghana

:toxx: (gulp)

https://steamcommunity.com/id/rdominick/

I'll post updates here.

I'm already working on the first brace; Atelier Rorona is completed at 21 hours, and I've started Totori. Yeah, I just got the plain ending, because I didn't manage character friendship levels very well, and my popularity wasn't very good.

I didn't think to screenshot the ending, so here's my clear save:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Finished deus ex mankind divided, i can see the jagged slashes where they cut it off from the sequel but it was really very solid apart from that. Prey next.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'd love to do this but it'd have to be PS4. Is there a similar tool for that?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Joke's on you sucker, I already did this. :smug: Sometime last year I started only buying games if I knew I'd play them then and there, and started crunching through my Steam list. That did mean that I missed out on some real bangers at the time, notably Prey and Nier:A, but as of a couple months ago I am free from the weight of my backlog. I mean, yeah, there are a few games in my Steam library I know I'll never play due to lack of interest. Plus there's also Fallout 4 and Alien Isolation, both gifts, and the former I'm still unsure about, and the latter I need to be in a certain mood to get into but there you go.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going overseas for two weeks and packing my 3DS and a bunch of un-beaten games for the plane rides/layovers. In no particular order:
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Bravely Default
Pokemon X
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Monster Hunter Generations (single-player campaign)
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest
A Link Between Worlds (Hero Mode)
WarioWare Gold

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, and that's Atelier Totori finished. Got the plain normal ending in about 24 hours. Originally, I spent too much time trying to level up and ran out of time just when I was about to hit the event that prevents the Bad End. Decided to roll back to an earlier save and work at it more methodically, and there you go. Still, man, screw that final boss fight.

The Steam Controller chord that is supposed to take a screenshot...didn't. Ah, well, abandoned hardware.

Already started Meruru.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

And just in time for the new sale I've knocked off my toxx.

...Maybe I'll do another batch of 5 after I pick one or two games on discount. But in that other thread.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

And there's Meruru finished, I suppose. I got a plain ending, probably because my planning was bad at the end. Took about 27 hours. If you kept more in the NG+ mode I might go ahead and do it now, but it drops you all the way back at the beginning with only the new equipment you had synthesized; it's just too much to play again.

Anyhow. There we go, first slice finished. Half-way to one new game next year.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

And there's Atelier Ayesha done. For the first time, I actually got one of the character endings! Ah, Wilbell...

Promptly started Escha and Logy. So many nice things in how that one is set up; it's got the just-one-more-thing going on something fierce. Had to pull myself away from it for a little while.

I played some of Avernum, but just got bogged down somewhere around 1/3 of the way in, a mix of exasperation and work pressures. I'll return to it another time.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Turns out I forgot something in my original post. With sebmojo's kind permission, I'm going to add a brace for "Any three games I backed on Kickstarter", including ones that might come out in 2019. Of the 50-or-so games I've backed on Kickstarter, I've finished two (Night in the Woods and Broken Age). (To be fair, I've played a lot of Dungeonmans, but never really got anywhere, so that's going on the list. I love roguelikes but am terrible at them.)

Games that count towards this brace: Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga, Shadowrun, Grim Dawn, Moebius, Gabriel Knight, Grey Matter, Chuck's Challenge 3D, Legends of Eisenwald, Carmageddon, Word Realms, Knock-knock, Broken Sword: the Serpent's Curse (plus all previous games), Expeditions: Conquistador, Mercenary Kings, Pillars of Eternity, Maia, Barkley 2 (yeah, right), Full Bore, Meriwether: An American Epic, Radio the Universe (...), Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake, Torment: Tides of Mahnamahna, Divinity: Original Sin, Infinite Space III, Dungeonmans, Death Road to Canada, Hot Tin Roof, Sunless Sea, Neverending Nightmares, Dropsy, Interstellaria, La-Mulana 2, Darkest Dungeon, Bear Simulator, Heart Forth, Alicia, Pathologic, Pathologic 2, Sethian, Gibbous, Hypnospace Outlaw, Super Tony Land, The Good Life, Harm Other, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, The Procession to Calvary, Boyfriend Dungeon, Nighthawks.

Phew!

No, I have never finished a Gabriel Knight game, nor any of the Broken Swords. I am appropriately ashamed, I assure you.

Edit: Ha, went to install Word Realms, since it's a good coffee-break game, and the Air-based installer is so old you have to set your clock back five years just to install it.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 1, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I completed 9 games in January. :kiddo: Some of which I have been working on for sometime now. They are not all Steam titles though, but the list is as follows in order of completion:

Detroit: Become Human
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
Persona 4 Arena
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Gris
TangleDeep
Forza Motorsport 7

For February I am working on Red Dead Redemption 2, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, strike Word Realms from the list, I guess; at 78% complete I ran into a bug where my game is locked in the inventory screen and I can't close it. Bummer.

As far as the game goes, well, it's Asymmetric's first try at a non-Kingdom-of-Loathing game, and it shows. It's nowhere near as good as West of Loathing. There are bits where the writing shows the flash that drives West, but most of it just plods along, and the game overall is just a slower and less fun Boookworm Adventures. So there's no way I'm playing 4/5ths of the game again just in case I don't encounter the same bug.

So I guess the big question is: does this count? I would've finished if I could.

Next up from the Kickstarter list: I think I'll tackle Full Bore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah i think honest attempts stymied by computers being dumb count, I'll allow it.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
steam -> view -> settings -> view account details -> view purchase history

now go through all the games you never finished in chronological order. You might only be able to go back to about 2007 but that should be enough.

Have fun

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I know a lot of people love it, but I totally stalled out on Atelier Escha & Logy. And whoever decided Full Bore needed to have mandatory action-y timed puzzle segments in it is a monster.

Hypnospace Outlaw, however, was a delight, both as an investigative game and a pitch-perfect love letter to a certain time online. There was a certain point where I just... couldn't... stop... playing.

It makes me sad I've never played Dropsy, which, actually, is a problem easily remedied.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, Dropsy's done, finishing off a set of Kickstarter games. I also dusted off some old saves for FF13, finished that, and then played a lot of FF13-2. That game, though, is one of those games where it's all, sure, go ahead to the final area and finish off the game, but when I did that it was like, oh, no, honey, you were clearly meant to grind and do some side content first. I'm going to put it aside for a while, but I do want to finish it and move on to Lightning Returns.

Last week I downloaded and played the Zanki Zero demo on PS4 and was intrigued, so that's what I'm using my first credit on. I happened to wake up last night just after it unlocked, so I went down and finished off the dungeon the demo stopped during. That'll be my obsession over the next couple of weeks, I'm sure.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I got a couple of games for my birthday -- mostly small stuff like Frost and Islanders, both of which I need to play more, but also a copy of The Caligula Effect: Overdose. I just wrapped it up, after about 32 hours, and my feelings about it are... complicated. It's one of those frustrating games that are almost really good, but don't follow through on things very well. For everything to like about the game -- like a Frozen-Synapse-style battle system where you program your next couple of moves to a simulation of what's going to happen -- there's a cool idea that doesn't quite work out (crossfading between instrumental dungeon music and vocal tracks during battles, but it effectively means you're listening to one song for hours on end) or something indefensible (the Causality Matrix, this game's Social-Link-like -- because yes, it is trying to be Persona in some ways -- has over 500 characters you have to talk to multiple times before you can do one of, like, four types of quests for them to get a very minor bonus; it's the very definition of busywork). There's no enemy variety -- from start to end, all the enemies look basically the same, except for bosses. It's also very, very easy; you barely ever need the level of tactical planning the combat system gives you to jam through encounters.

And yet... the character episodes, far more fleshed out SL-style capsule stories, are (mostly) very interesting, and one set of them was actually excellent. Storytelling goes a long way with me, and I really wanted to see what happened at the end. I was kinda miffed, because I managed to miss one of the episodes somehow, and the 'net was saying you had to have them all to get the epilogue, so I just bum-rushed through the last dungeon and, well, I got the epilogue anyhow. And then I watched the bad ending on YouTube.

I was so, so tired of playing this game by the time it was all over. Hopefully whatever I play next won't outstay its welcome in quite the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Haven't posted for a while. Finished off FF XII-2, and then played Trails in the Sky FC. (I'd started it a couple of times before.) I wasn't going to play SC right away, but after that ending, I kind of had to... and then the announcement of BG3 made me remember I hadn't ever finished an Infinity engine game ever either, so I'm also plugging along in Baldur's Gate: EE.