Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So its probably cheating but since everyone will say onion or garlic they're not included. I think I'd go with broccoli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If we're going for a main-dish veggie that's not, say, a part of mirepoix or the Trinity, I'd have to go with cabbage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Broccoli is solid but I think I'd do asparagus.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
I've recently fallen in love with water spinach. Think I could eat it every day at this point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

If we're going for a main-dish veggie that's not, say, a part of mirepoix or the Trinity, I'd have to go with cabbage.

It's only onion and garlic. Carrot and celery aren't included

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Potatoes.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Would be a coin toss between cabbage or potatoes

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tomatoes (Or are you considering that a fruit for the purpose of this exercise?)

If tomatoes don't count, then probably black beans.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

brassica oleracea

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My first candidate is cabbage. But depending on the definition of vegetable used here, I might go for something else.
If you are excluding onions with the meaning that I can have onions with my vegetable I would seriously consider going for green beans or maybe tomatoes instead.
If you treat things like rice as a vegetable, I would choose peas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Tomatoes (Or are you considering that a fruit for the purpose of this exercise?)

If tomatoes don't count, then probably black beans.

they're 100% a fruit

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Sweet potatoes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Butts

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Absolutely same here

edit: prooobably a chinese cabbage? I'm generally fonder of savoy but I think chinese cabbage is a bit more versatile.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Sweet potatoes.

Yeah, probably this for versatility. Carrots and regular potatoes (time for the Penn Jillette diet!) would be the other two choices I could see myself handling.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Peppers. Gotta have my peppers. Spicy or sweet, they make a meal complete. Half of my meals have peppers of some kind. I'd seriously miss all the other veggies through, but at least

WAIT ARE THE CHICKPEAS STILL OK

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is a solved problem:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Have to go with peppers even though my family won't tolerate any spice.

E: potatoes ain't got a thing on some good bread.

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
Gotta go with potatoes. Baked, french fried, mashed are just too tasty to give up.
There's endless variety!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ONions and garlic. gently caress you

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Can you define the question? Onions and garlic don't count, but what about wheat? Corn? Tomatoes are botanically a fruit, but culinarily a vegetable; why would they not be included, assuming squash and cucumbers are?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Can you define the question? Onions and garlic don't count, but what about wheat? Corn? Tomatoes are botanically a fruit, but culinarily a vegetable; why would they not be included, assuming squash and cucumbers are?

Broccoli, cabbage, etc are all the same species, so it's an easy choice if we're being ultra-pedantic. Potatoes are only technically vegetables anyway- in practice they're just weird grain

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Castor beans

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
beets

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

poverty goat posted:

Broccoli, cabbage, etc are all the same species, so it's an easy choice if we're being ultra-pedantic. Potatoes are only technically vegetables anyway- in practice they're just weird grain

Wrong as usual. Potatoes are a sandwich

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Soy beans so that I can keep miso etc.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Wait, are legumes a vegetable? Do I have to choose between beans, potatoes, and brassicas? OP please help, this is driving me to an existential crisis

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The answer is potatoes op.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I wanted to call all of you buffoons for not choosing tomatoes until it was pointed out that they're botanically fruits and it turns out I'm owned.

My girlfriend is torn between broccoli and asparagus. I have been swayed by the arguments for potatoes and broccoli.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
carrots or parsnips

probably would pick parsnips over carrots

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 28, 2018

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Have to go with peppers even though my family won't tolerate any spice.

E: potatoes ain't got a thing on some good bread.

Good news is peppers are technically fruit, so is avacodo, so we got guac covered.

I was leaning towards garbonzo beans for hummus until i realized its pointless without garlic.

I'm gonna have to settle on cabbage. I would rather die than live without the slaw

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Noslo posted:

Good news is peppers are technically fruit, so is avacodo, so we got guac covered.

I was leaning towards garbonzo beans for hummus until i realized its pointless without garlic.

I'm gonna have to settle on cabbage. I would rather die than live without the slaw

I see we have a slaw abiding citizen here

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
For real though, tomatoes and peppers are berries, beans are legumes and since onions and garlic are exempt per op then yeah, potatoes man.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pizza is a vegetable right

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Pizza is a vegetable right

put this on my gravestone

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
As long as mushrooms are considered a fungus rather than a vegetable, I have to go with celery.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Coasterphreak posted:

As long as mushrooms are considered a fungus rather than a vegetable, I have to go with celery.

What the gently caress? Don’t get me wrong, I like celery, but I can’t imagine it ever being the only vegetable I ever ate.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Scientastic posted:

What the gently caress? Don’t get me wrong, I like celery, but I can’t imagine it ever being the only vegetable I ever ate.

I would have suggested people that watch Fox News, but that seemed in poor taste.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"Technically, any plant food is of the vegetable family."

Soy beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
All you potato morons are forgetting turnips. You get all the versatility of the potato, and also delicious greens