Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Prav posted:

NOD's whole deal is subverting state control. PRC may well still be on the security council, but what does that matter if the countryside is full of people doing favors for NOD?

This is especially important to think about because none of the maps (unless I'm blanking on something) have taken place in a very urban setting. Sure, there are cutscenes with more densely populated areas as targets or subjects but, we've only really encountered small towns and villages in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I always took the maps to mean the amount of influence NOD has in any given area, rather than government control.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is especially important to think about because none of the maps (unless I'm blanking on something) have taken place in a very urban setting. Sure, there are cutscenes with more densely populated areas as targets or subjects but, we've only really encountered small towns and villages in-game.

There's something pretty cool about this that I appreciate today, but probably didn't when I was a kid. Sure, a lot of it is probably due to Westwood not having the tech to depict cities in a way that was realistic and believable enough for them to be comfortable with, but when the other poster pointed out that around this time IRL a lot of poo poo was going down in the Balkans it makes a lot of sense how things are depicted in C&C.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how losing funding is played up as this big thing and then the commander just goes out and harvests all the money they use like normal.

eh well, that's gameplay and story segregation for you

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I always took the maps to mean the amount of influence NOD has in any given area, rather than government control.

There's something pretty cool about this that I appreciate today, but probably didn't when I was a kid. Sure, a lot of it is probably due to Westwood not having the tech to depict cities in a way that was realistic and believable enough for them to be comfortable with, but when the other poster pointed out that around this time IRL a lot of poo poo was going down in the Balkans it makes a lot of sense how things are depicted in C&C.

oh god, i'm getting nervous shakes from imagining urban maps mixed with this game's unit pathfinding

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

drkeiscool posted:

oh god, i'm getting nervous shakes from imagining urban maps mixed with this game's unit pathfinding

It's not the best, but I would take C&C's pathfinding over Starcraft's anyday.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

wedgekree posted:

Then again given production is somehow based on tiberium in-universe (I'm not sure exactly as to how mined ores translate to credits used to make forces outside of game mechanics) might have the idea of significant forward bases a la RTS physics to be a thing other than needing the equipment setup for them to be put in place and personnel put there.

Well, considering that Tiberium hoovers up minerals, that probably includes both precious and rare metals. Nod refineries likely instantly ship them off to be sold so they can buy more weapons, in GDI's case, I imagine their merit probably also includes containing the spread of tiberium/cleaning it up, so rather than using tiberium directly for building with, maybe they get a performance bonus or something that they use to fund their actual warfare.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

For me the Dawn of War games still win the anti-prize for lovely pathfinding any day of the week.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Remembering the utter horror of trying to get more then one Goliath or Dragoon up or down a ramp... *shutters*

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

UED Special Ops posted:

Remembering the utter horror of trying to get more then one Goliath or Dragoon up or down a ramp... *shutters*

Yeah, ramps or sharp turns were the bane of Startcraft's pathfinding existence. Nothing like sending a bunch of marines around a sharp turn and watching them run around in a circle as they one by one figure out how to navigate a 90 degree bend!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, ramps or sharp turns were the bane of Startcraft's pathfinding existence. Nothing like sending a bunch of marines around a sharp turn and watching them run around in a circle as they one by one figure out how to navigate a 90 degree bend!
Well they are marines.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mhh hmm, have many a memory of units dancing back and forth for half a minute as they try to single-file sort themselves out to ever so slowly get down a single ramp. Least C&C1 AI seems to at least hug the terrain, so it might take a bit for them to get there, but there will be a minimum of dancing around doing nothing. Harvesers though, they just flat out break sometimes, as seen in several videos now, and are a whole other joy of AI pathfinding.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

PurpleXVI posted:

For me the Dawn of War games still win the anti-prize for lovely pathfinding any day of the week.

Oh yes, DoW1 definitely had the worst pathfinding in any RTS. Didn't stop me from loving the hell out of that game, though (especially Dark Crusade)!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Come to think of it, the Engineer is also a pretty C&C specific mechanic. Other series have some ways to take over enemy units like Warcraft's Banshees or Priests in Age of Empires but those are all high end speciality units whereas in this game they're available from your tier 1 recruitment structure for both factions from the second mission of the campaign onwards and priced below all but entry level vehicles. Capturing enemy stuff is far more intrinsically tied to the core game loop than other games where it's more of a rare endgame ability.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

Come to think of it, the Engineer is also a pretty C&C specific mechanic. Other series have some ways to take over enemy units like Warcraft's Banshees or Priests in Age of Empires but those are all high end speciality units whereas in this game they're available from your tier 1 recruitment structure for both factions from the second mission of the campaign onwards and priced below all but entry level vehicles. Capturing enemy stuff is far more intrinsically tied to the core game loop than other games where it's more of a rare endgame ability.
Engineers are specialty; CnC's predecessor Dune 2 let you capture with basic infantry.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't remind me, I played the last man standing mode so much in those and the most powerful enemy was the pathfinding or lack thereof.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Can engineers take over offensive structures like SAM sites?

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

8 Ball posted:

I don't think so - consider how most of them work! They're either totally automated and not something you could capture without disabling it, or manned by people (like the guard posts) which, again, can't really be captured without killing everyone inside.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

I hope its not spoilers to say that C&C Generals will allow you to see just that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

8 Ball posted:

Nope, engineers cannot capture defensive structures.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

drkeiscool posted:

I've actually played skirmish matches in maps that have dense urban areas (I say dense, but TD only really has small civilian structures like houses and such), the pathfinding does okay most of the time.

Those kinds of maps also show that TD handles collateral damage in street to street warfare fairly realistically too. After a couple battles urban areas get torn to shreds and most civilian bystanders don't last long.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, considering that Tiberium hoovers up minerals, that probably includes both precious and rare metals. Nod refineries likely instantly ship them off to be sold so they can buy more weapons, in GDI's case, I imagine their merit probably also includes containing the spread of tiberium/cleaning it up, so rather than using tiberium directly for building with, maybe they get a performance bonus or something that they use to fund their actual warfare.

I'm not sure that by this time GDI and the world at large have done more than just begin to realize the effects of tiberium. It seems to be a fairly recent thing judging by the sudden casualties from exposure and lack of public knowledge. If Möbius is giving any indication. Would help explain why Nod has control on a majority of supply; it has been impacting third world countries more heavily and as such the tiberium's problems have been out of sight for most of the more powerful nations.

Or maybe not I dunno.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

keep in mind that ground zero for tiberium is rome, which makes the whole hypertoxic ecological disaster bit kind of a big deal

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see the GruntMods edition of Dune 2000 mentioned in the thread. It seems to be a lot more functional than the OpenRA version: it features all three campaigns (not just mission selects) and includes all the FMV's. With John Rhys-Davies! It runs flawlessly for me on windows 10.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI Mission 06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ikb4ffO0AM
GDI Mission 06

CZECH REPUBLIC
Population: 10,400,000
Geographic Area: 30,449 Square Miles
Capital: Prague
Government: Republic
Gross Domestic Product: $120 Billion
Point of Conflict: Ostrava
Military Power: National Guard

Apparently, Nod is jamming communications and Carter needs our help. Or maybe the cut funding is messing with our comms?

Objective: Use the Commando to infiltrate the Nod base and destroy the... damnit.

Briefing: Use a GDI Commando to infiltrate the Nod base. **** ** destroy the ********** so that the base is incapacitated. Get in, hit it, and get the **** out.

Author's note: Another commando mission!

Name: Commander Carter
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Bill Collins

Author's note: We've had quite a bit of back and forth with Carter, and sometimes I wonder if he's supposed to be the main character with the GDI. Certainly more personable than Sheppard.

TRANSPORT “CHINOOK” HELICOPTER
ARMOR: MEDIUM
COST: 1500
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 100
RANGE: N/A
WEAPON: NONE
Provides field transportation for all infantry, rapidly deploying new troops into, or out of battle. This unit is basically an aerial version of the APC without the weapon.

Author's note: Great if your opponent is missing air defense weapons in critical areas, and even better if you can combine it with attacks to distract. Its usually a one-way trip for this unit, when moving into an enemy base.

COMMANDO*
ARMOR: NONE
COST: 1000
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 67
RANGE: LONG
WEAPON: SNIPER RIFLE AND C-4 EXPLOSIVE PACKS
The Commando is part of the GDI Elite Forces Unit. This unit uses a Raptor 50cal. assault rifle with suppressor that is able to take out infantry units from extreme range. In addition, the Commando carries C-4 explosives.
When placed in enemy structures, these explosives will level the target structure in seconds.

Author's note: The lore text here is why I think that Nod has one Commando, whereas GDI has an entire team of them. GDI also started out as a SpecOps group. Maybe one of them defected to Nod? Its all headcanon, loosely based on text from the manual, which could just be an error/typo anyways, but I like the interpretation.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I loving hated this mission as a kid

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Aces High posted:

loving same. Across multiple tries, like over half of the SAM sites would poop out a minigunner and welp that's damage on the commando

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
JEsus that looked painful to play through.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Aces High posted:

Fish Noise posted:

loving same. Across multiple tries, like over half of the SAM sites would poop out a minigunner and welp that's damage on the commando

I don't think anyone who played this game would feel any different. I don't think I personally ever got past this mission, and had to watch my more experienced cousin play past it instead.

Still, Commando is a pretty cool dude, eh blows up buildings and doesn't afraid of anything.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 13, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hate replaying stuff like Dongs.exe or IWBTG and this mission seems especially bullshit.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I seem to recall that if you pick a specific mission path through the game you can skip this level. Because I did beat the GDI campaign, and I don’t think I ever beat this level.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I hope its not spoilers to say that

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS AT ALL ABOUT ANYTHING!

I would say that it is.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh GDI mission 6, how trial and error you are. I am almost convinced that the reason why NOD eventually rushes you if based on number of units killed, as I remember that when I beat this mission way back I didn't have NOD empty their base like that. And yeah, having units pop out of buildings destroyed by C-4 is a real dick move, and I saved before destroying each SAM Site just to try and minimize damage on the Commando from spawned infantry. Also, the way you got the commando into the base was the only way I managed to do it as well, tank the SAM Site hit and then hope you target the right building. Weird how those tanks were up that ridge though, I think all the tanks are supposed to be in that empty barbed wire fence area near the western base entrance.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Commandos are fun. Too bad about the huge cost, since as fun as they are they are still not as useful as an Engineer (capping buildings and letting you start pumping out units in the enemy base or throwing up a cheeky Obelisk or Advanced Guard Tower) or vehicles. It's pretty embarrassing to have your elite supercommando squashed by a light tank because he simply can't kill vehicles for poo poo, or get shot by a cheapo infantry unit. The older C&C games rewarded massive blobs of tanks more than any kind of mixed unit forces, another strike against the commando.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI Tutorial [Part 1]

Mission 1 posted:

Mission Tutorials

MISSION ONE
The first thing you may want to do when the mission starts is to slow the game down. Doing this will give you a chance to get used to the way the game functions. To slow the game down, click on the tab at the top of the screen that is labeled “Options”. (You can also hit the ESC key or Space Bar.)

When you do this, the game will pause and a menu will pop up in the middle of the screen. Here you will see several options, including a box labeled “Game Controls.” Left click on this box. Doing this will bring up another box that has two sliders on it.
One is labeled “Game Speed” the other is labeled “Scroll Speed”. Left click and hold the bar in the middle of the Game Speed slider. Moving the bar to the right will increase the game speed, moving the bar to the left will slow the game down. Move the bar all the way to the left. You can also adjust the rate at which the map scrolls around.

The game’s default Scroll Speed it pretty good, so only change it if you don’t like the way it feels. To exit the Game Controls Screen, left click on the box labeled “Options Menu”. When that screen disappears, left click on the box labeled “Resume Mission”. You can also exit this screen by hitting the ESC key twice.

SCOUTING THE
TERRITORY
When the mission begins you will see several things. In the water to the south, a GDI Gunboat is firing on a Nod Turret. To the north of this are your troops, four GDI Infantry and a GDI Mobile Construction Vehicle (MCV). You will also see the immediate terrain around your units but won’t see any more of the play area. This dark area is called the “Unrevealed Terrain”. As you move your units around the battlefield, they will reveal the terrain. Every unit reveals terrain as it moves, but not every unit can “see” the same distance. For instance, infantry cannot see as far as Humm Vees, so use the Humm Vees to scout with.

Don’t worry about the Gunboat.

It will automatically fire on the Nod Turret. Concentrate on deploying your MCV. Do this by left clicking on it twice. The first click brings up a “Deploy” cursor and the second click deploys the MCV into the construction yard. The MCV creates a fairly large building when it deploys, so it needs to have a clear area around it in order to deploy. If you attempt to deploy the MCV and it doesn’t deploy, check around the MCV for things that might get in the MCV’s way. It could be an Infantry unit, a cliff, a tree, etc. In this mission, the MCV starts in a clear area and will deploy as long as you don’t move it and as long as the an enemy unit doesn’t get in the way.

Watch out now.

A Nod Minigunner from the north will begin attacking your MCV. Move your Infantry northward to protect your Construction Yard. Do this by left clicking on the unit you want to move, then moving the cursor to the location you wish the unit to move to and left clicking again. For instance, if you want a unit to move to the north of the MCV, left click on the unit, then left click on the terrain to the north of the MCV and the unit will move there. If there is something in his way, he will try to get as close to the region you clicked on as possible.

Move the unit to the north (above your Construction Yard) to protect it. To directly attack an enemy unit, left click on one of your units, then left click on the enemy unit you want to attack. Your unit will move to get in range of the target you selected and then attack. (Infantry troops will attack automatically either if they are being fired on directly, or if the target is within their own attack range. Infantry will not fire automatically if the enemy unit firing on them is out of the Infantry’s range.)

Now try moving a group of Infantry at once. To select a group of units, left click and hold the mouse button near the group that you want selected. While holding the mouse button, move the mouse cursor across the group you want selected. You will notice that a box is being created as you move the mouse cursor. Expand the box to include all the units you want in the group. Now let go of the mouse button. All of the units in the box are now selected and will move as a group. Left click on the enemy unit you want to attack. Your troops will move towards the targeted enemy and engage them. (Tip: Try to have several infantry gang up on particular targets.)

SOPHISTICATED SCOUTING
If you want to direct a unit to look for anything coming at it and engage it automatically, you can put it into “Guard” mode. (See Advanced Play, Page 30)

BUILDING YOUR BASE
When the MCV is deployed, a sidebar appears on the right side of your screen. Your construction options appear here. The only building you can build right now is the Power Plant. Left click on the Power Plant icon in the sidebar. The Power Plant will begin building and the cost of the Power Plant will be deducted from your credits total at the top of the screen. When it’s done, a “Ready” message will appear. Now place the building. Do this by left clicking on the Power Plant icon which will give you a placement grid. Throughout the game, the grid must be all white in order to place a building. To get the all-white grid, you must meet two conditions. First, you can’t place the grid on top of existing units or terrain obstacles (cliffs, trees, mountains, etc.). Second, you have to place the new building adjacent to one of your existing structures.

MEASURING POWER EFFICIENCY
Power is essential for your base to operate efficiently. Look at the sidebar section of your screen. The thin vertical area next to the construction icons is your power bar. The blue dividing bar shows you how much power your base is currently using, and the vertical bar shows your available power. As long as the bar is in the green, your base has enough power to operate everything at maximum efficiency. If the bar drops into the yellow or red, your base is under-powered. As described earlier in the manual, when the base is under-powered, construction will take much longer than usual, and many of the high-tech structures will shut down.

BUILDING OTHER STRUCTURES
With your Power Plant in place, you will now notice a Barracks icon has appeared in the sidebar. Build the Barracks the same way you built the Power Plant. Once the Barracks is placed, you will be able to build Minigun Infantry. This will help you supplement your troops.

KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN
While you were building up your base, you were probably attacked a few times by Nod troops. They attack quickly, so fight them off with the reinforcements you will receive periodically. Most of the attacks will come from the north and the west,
so place troops on these sides of your base. Once you have eliminated all of the immediate threats, hunt down all the remaining Nod troops. Create a sizable force of at least eight-to-ten Minigun Infantry. Move the group westward into the forest above the cliffs and eliminate the Nod troops there.

Now, move your troops directly north of the forest, where you will encounter a couple more Nod troops on patrol. Once you have defeated them, head to the east and slightly south where the last Nod group is stationed. When you have destroyed these, your mission should be complete. If the mission does not end, it means that there are a few more Nod units hiding or structures like the Turret that haven’t been eliminated. Explore the map and make sure to destroy all the Nod units and
structures on the map.

KEEPING SCORE
Whether you’re playing Nod or GDI, at the end of each mission, the score screen will appear. This will rate your performance based on several factors: how long you took for the mission, how much money you ended with, compared to what you started with, and the number of units and structures that you lost, compared to the number that you built. Also listed is the high score table. The high score table will keep track of the seven highest scores on any given mission. This is useful if you and your friends are competing for high scores. When you finish entering your name, the screen will clear.

CONTINUING THE WAR
After a mission is done, you will get a map selection screen where you will choose your next mission. Sometimes, you only have one choice for the mission, but other times there will be multiple arrows shown. This means that there is more than one mission available for you to play in that area. To select the mission that you want to play, left click on the head of any one of the arrows. Whichever one that you clicked on will then be the mission that you will play.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

So due to an ad on a phone game, it has come to my attention that a week ago, there has been the first release in the C&C series since 2012 (which was a free to play MMO browsergame): I could right now download a free to play C&C MOBILE game. My excitement knows no bounds.

Did anyone even notice? I suspect even if, most people wouldn't care for it, but it's still a bit shameful. Wonder if I should try it for shits and giggles, but it's billed as competitive against other people only and that sounds super loving terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz_mcAxtI-M

That's how it was announced. I missed bits and pieces of it, so I was wondering why on earth there are people shoutcasting a MOBILE game.

Until the logo at the end. This is from EA's press conference.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That is garbage and I am sad that it is in this good game's thread.

Also for those who dont know that vid spoils some units and I know its a poo poo mobile game but please keep that in mind when looking up that video. Yes I know I prob wont get to the relevant games for quite some time, thats not the point tho.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 13, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI Mission 07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZGwATmdMs
GDI Mission 07

CZECH REPUBLIC
Population: 10,400,000
Geographic Area: 30,449 Square Miles
Capital: Prague
Government: Republic
Gross Domestic Product: $120 Billion
Point of Conflict: Ostrava
Military Power: National Guard

Author's note: No change is made to Czech Republic's information since the last mission.

Carter is a little miffed that we blew up the comms center. Apparently, the real target was the airstrip... or the Nod base in its entirety?

Objective: Wipe out the Nod base in the area.

Briefing: Previous mission objective not complete. Airfield was to be targeted. New objective: Build up a base and Destroy remaining Nod structures and units. Reinforcements will be provided.

Author's note: The map is the same as the last, but the devs throw a curveball by starting you slightly to the left of the left edge of the last map.

Name: Commander Carter
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Bill Collins

Its unknown if Commander Carter is of an equal rank as the GDI Commander, nor if he's Navy, Army, or something else. Regardless, he and the GDI Commander have worked together on numerous occasions, to good effect. Is believed to be the originator of the "the naughties" [Sometimes said "Noddies"] term.

Author's note: Carter mentions Tiberium poisoning, which seems odd. He's also annoyed at us for only taking out the building, losing a chinook helicopter, and a highly-trained special forces commando. Maybe you should invest in better comms infrastructure, you jerk!

N/A

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Too bad you can't knock down trees, since that northern area would have been a much better position for the base, but since you are stuck building adjacent to each other (a trait shared by Warcraft 1, though it had a road system which was even more irritating to manage) the trees would break that up a lot. Really condensed, uneven, and ugly base designs offend my sensibilities, but there's just not much to be done about it in C&C 1. Meanwhile, the AI can start off with nice, well organized, and pretty bases...

Wish artillery was more of a thing in C&C - Nod artillery has such short range that it's insulting, and the only other artillery-like attacks are superweapons. No bombarding the base from half the map away, which is my preferred style wherever I can do it!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Have really mixed opinions on this mission. On the one hand its pretty cool expanding the map a bit to fit in a build up and destroy mission. And as a very nice touch, the building you destroyed on mission 06 will permanently be missing for this mission. Which means if the refinery was taken out, the mission becomes a bit of a joke as once NOD burns though its starting money it can't really do anything. Plus having a mission to finish up an incomplete objective from the previous one is pretty unique.

On the other hand, the whole Tiberium field issue comes up massively, and you either build by the small field and have huge delays in income later on, or you fight through the numerous NOD units to your north to get access to the larger northern field, although as mentioned, the trees really make building further north annoying due to the build distance limits of C&C1. Plus you still have to hunt down all but the island SAM sites again, only now with some turrets added in as well. Also, looks like the map progression at the start of missions 6 and 7 have been reversed, but think that was mentioned earlier.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Your clue about the airstrip is the number of asterisks in the previous mission description. I forget what happens if you do guess right, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

PurpleXVI posted:

JEsus that looked painful to play through.

I remember thinking I was a freaking genius when I finally beat this one as a younger homosapien. And then being ticked as crap at Carter yelling at me for screwing it up.