Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI Mission 08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZCfoXkiIJ0
GDI Mission 08

AUSTRIA
Population: 7,867,000
Geographic Area: 32,377 Square Miles
Capital: Vienna
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
Gross Domestic Product: $164 Billion
Point of Conflict: Jelgava
Military Power: National Guard

EVA only talks about repairing units, but there's clearly more to this mission than that. We can't let NOD keep a presence in this area.

Objective: Keep your units alive and destroy the Nod base in the area.

Briefing: U.N. Sanction has cut funding to the Global Defense Initiative. Field Units are helpless. Use the repair facility to keep your units in the field long enough to destroy the Nod base in this region. All Nod units and structures must be destroyed.

Author's note: This is the map I was referring to in mission 5. The only difference is that you start with your base revealed this time.

Name: EVA(?)
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Kia Huntzinger

EVA appears to be the central command for GDI.

Author's note: Not much to really say about EVA, still.

MOBILE ROCKET LAUNCH SYSTEM (MRLS)
ARMOR: LIGHT
COST: 800
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 53
RANGE: LONG
WEAPON: 227MM MISSILES
Mobile devastation. GDI’s longest-range attacker fires 227mm rockets and is effective against just about everything, including aerial threats. With no short-range fighting ability, this unit needs close-quarter backup. This is an attack only vehicle. Keep it in the background and don’t let enemies in close to it.

Author's note: This unit is entirely forgettable in GDI's unit lineup and I think I forget about it until like... 4 missions from now. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
"Maybe if hide in these trees long enough, GDI will just give up and go home."
-That lone surviving Nod soldier.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, that was a very effective, if bloody, blitz of the NOD base. I remember taking a lot of time on this mission, once again being afraid to send my tanks and stuff out for fear of losing em. Still, love how EVA shows a Mammoth Tank during the briefing but of course none are on the map. As for A10s, I am pretty sure the number of them isn't based on time or anything like that but how far you are in the campaign. In the NOD missions, GDI only used a single A10 for a while before upgrading to two, so the same is true here, with enough missions down, two A10s are now part of the strike. Shame that it seems that most of the time a SAM Site or two tends to be directly inside the NOD base so by the time you get access to A10s the mission is almost done. Really detracts from their usefulness, especially combined with the whole lack of unit tracking of the player directed ones.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If NOD has access to air power in enough strength to create dogfight situations and draw the media's attention to GDI-NOD pitched battles then i don't think its correct to say NOD is taking over by influence in places like Germany or Denmark. That speaks of actual military presence outside of the cities

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slaan posted:

If NOD has access to air power in enough strength to create dogfight situations and draw the media's attention to GDI-NOD pitched battles then i don't think its correct to say NOD is taking over by influence in places like Germany or Denmark. That speaks of actual military presence outside of the cities

Rogue pilots! >_>

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

It could be fighters belonging to the regular national military from a country Nod is influential in/has subverted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

It could be fighters belonging to the regular national military from a country Nod is influential in/has subverted.

Yeah, its not unreasonable to suggest that a pilot has defected to Nod for [insert reason here]

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

as much as I like GDI I feel that the reason I didn't get past this mission is that it was another base mission with no Con yard. Missions like that always stressed me out because losing a single building seemed like a failure

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The mobile rocket launchers have a minimal attack range of two squares, which made me feel very smart as a kid, as I had discovered that a lonely soldier staying just before them will be able to destroy one without danger - as long as it doesn't decide to just run him over, that is.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Randomly can you just click on several units to have them use the service depot? like, just have several vehicles, click on it, and it repairs them in turn, soon as one finishes next goe son? That seems like time saver so you don't forget you're repairing stuff and lose track when one finishes and several others are just idling. And requires micro'ing of doing them one at a time. Or the game nto let you do this?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure in C&C1 it isn't possible to queue up units like that, has to be manual one at a time. Heck, units don't even get off the repair facility once healed. Also, interesting fact, the repair facility repair speed is affected by its condition. If the facility drops into yellow or red health, its repair rate drops massively. On the plus side, units can still attack while being repaired, which might come in handy rarely.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

Okay I took the bait and tried to install Tiberian Sun because I bought it when it came out and never finished. And I don't have any sound in game! The cutscenes work fine, though. Any ideas?

the only i can think of is to look at the pcgamingwiki page for the game: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer:_Tiberian_Sun

the only other thing is if you're playing on linux: set the sound in Wine to "emulation"

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How accurate is it to think of Tiberium as conflict diamonds? The mineral leeching suggests that it's what allows for equipment to be constructed in the field, but then Nod has to fly in their tanks. Maybe it's both, with GDI being able to make tanks but Nod having to trade it in for bigger stuff since they're an illicit paramilitary death squad, not one operating with UN sanction.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
That's actually an apt comparison for Nod. Technically, the GDI is funded by the UN. Although, right now, they're also using tiberium to fund their war effort, so the comparison also works for them. The GDI don't commit as many war crimes, though.

Tiberium isn't actually used to make things on the battlefield. It's being sold to buyers all over the world because it's loaded up with yummy rare earth minerals and poo poo that would be prohibitively expensive to mine otherwise. It's like if gold and uranium just started growing out of ground, while also being incredibly toxic to human life.

Nod is using those funds to, er, fund their war effort. GDI would normally be using it for... science, maybe? but the commander is cut off from the normal channels right now, so they're probably also just selling it to random buyers.

All of this is probably thinking about it a lot harder than the developers did though, at least for the time the game was made.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Much as I love the idea of GDI using the same funding method as Nod, I think the explanation is they receive more UN funding for providing Tiberium towards SCIENCE efforts.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I find the discussion of C&C geopolitics to be equal parts interesting and hilarious. I remember just basically thinking that tiberium was mysterious, dangerous, and insanely valuable. And the two sides are fighting over it. And that's pretty much it. Which is probably what Westwood did, as has been averred -- but who really knows how deep they thought into it.

Also, this LP continues to menace with spikes of awesome, but being as I am an annoying twirp, I must still raise another point of order.

Jobbo Fett posted:

(in the video, with notable indignance) Kane is taunting us, and thankfully absolves us of killing an orphanage - because it was a church we blew up! - c'mon, get the facts straight

Yes, let's get the facts straight.

Greg Burdette, in the video segment immediately preceding Kane's appearance in which he made this statement posted:

… this is Greg Burdette, standing in front of what GDI terrorists have left of the St. Alofsky(?) orphanage

Just sayin'. Kane had his facts straight :).

As for the mission, goodness did I ever play this one way too many times. My rampaging OCD compelled me to repair every stinking building I had and lose none of them and save as many vehicles as I could, regardless of the fact that it is of course better to sell the silos for cash right away, etc.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Randomly can you just click on several units to have them use the service depot? like, just have several vehicles, click on it, and it repairs them in turn, soon as one finishes next goe son? That seems like time saver so you don't forget you're repairing stuff and lose track when one finishes and several others are just idling. And requires micro'ing of doing them one at a time. Or the game nto let you do this?

Nope, queueing stuff at the service depot isn't a thing, you have tho manage the entire repair process for everyone. Thats one of the main reasons why, as much as I find the depot useful, I don't use it nearly as much as one 'should'.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thotimx posted:

I find the discussion of C&C geopolitics to be equal parts interesting and hilarious. I remember just basically thinking that tiberium was mysterious, dangerous, and insanely valuable. And the two sides are fighting over it. And that's pretty much it. Which is probably what Westwood did, as has been averred -- but who really knows how deep they thought into it.

Also, this LP continues to menace with spikes of awesome, but being as I am an annoying twirp, I must still raise another point of order.

Yes, let's get the facts straight.

Just sayin'. Kane had his facts straight :).

As for the mission, goodness did I ever play this one way too many times. My rampaging OCD compelled me to repair every stinking building I had and lose none of them and save as many vehicles as I could, regardless of the fact that it is of course better to sell the silos for cash right away, etc.

No no, I blew up a church, in the last mission :P.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Obviously the church was a secret Nod temple. :pseudo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

Obviously the church was a secret Nod temple. :pseudo:

*takes notes for the upcoming news conference*

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the good old "they were using that school to store missiles".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"GDI is... for religious tolerance"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That church orphanage attacked us. It was self defense. We can't help NOD uses child soldiers launching RPGs from their cribs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

considering there's always money in the church, I'm sure an argument could be made for emergency fund requisitions. Hey it worked during the Crusades, maybe it will work again :v:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

It really says something that the most memorable cutscene so far for GDI is the one in which Kane skyped us.

Well, maybe aside from
"It's time for for your briefing on the Brotherhood of Nod. This is Kane. [kane.jpg]
Welp, time to deploy."
because that one is just really funny.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mordja posted:

I just remembered another way to sort of play Tiberian Dawn in a sort of more modern engine: Dawn of the Tiberium Age. Though now that I look, while it boasts about its campaigns, I don't know whether those are the original missions or new ones. :shrug:

How have I never heard of this before? This looks amazing. Definitely installing this poo poo tonight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

wedgekree posted:

You can't even load soldiers into APCs automatically, it all has to be done by hand one at a time. The mission where you have ten guys and two APCs needed to bring them over Tiberium patches needs the patience of a saint.

In fact, if you just send all five of them at once into the APC, you bet your rear end the guy farthest from the APC is the one who decides "okay guess it's my turn first", walks into his buddies, can't pass them and stops. The APC stands there rear end open and nothing happens. Then you decide to click manually only on the nearest guy to the APC, click for him to enter it...and nothing happens again, because the APC is still waiting for the first idiot to enter.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

everyone posted:

Queuing talk
Aw yeah, this sorta first generation is extremely manual. You gotta manage everything yourself. Just yesterday I grabbed that Gruntmods Dune 2000 and hhhhhhodang these games are rough. IIRC later games try to implement some things but the early efforts were finicky.

I wanted to say it's hard to go to back now, but to be honest, it was already hard to go to back to after The Year Of The RTS.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

At least you could control more than one unit at a time, right? For all it's clunky old controls and features, that alone makes it a lot easier to play and manage than, say, Warcraft 1.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, there's no selection limit in C&C, a limitation that for Blizzard continued up to and including Warcraft 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, there's no selection limit in C&C, a limitation that for Blizzard continued up to and including Warcraft 3.

SC2 also, though it's higher. gently caress Blizzard.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Chronische posted:

At least you could control more than one unit at a time, right? For all it's clunky old controls and features, that alone makes it a lot easier to play and manage than, say, Warcraft 1.
Yeah, they got that right at least, important for games as Unit Blob-y as C&C.

Although even Westwood didn't get it on the first shot, since Dune II.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The 12 unit selection limit in Startcraft was terrible. Never really played any other Blizzard RTS games but I can't believe they still have some sort of limit in SC2.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

WC3 did have the advantage of being able to swap through groups of units, which was very important when dealing with all the spellcasting options and abilities units could have. Even then, of course, it wasn't the most efficient use of all your dudes mana or abilities. The game would have been way better without heroes on top of everything else, but that's an old complaint now. Also, due to the pop limits in Warcraft, you could never really make true blobby armies in any event.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The 12 unit selection limit in Startcraft was terrible. Never really played any other Blizzard RTS games but I can't believe they still have some sort of limit in SC2.

Its 255 units or something huge that will never be a problem outside of some custom maps.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Prav posted:

hi i'm 8 years old and the best GDI unit is definitely two dozen orcas

I was 12 years old and the most powerful unit was the sandbag.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Hank Morgan posted:

I was 12 years old and the most powerful unit was the sandbag.

The strategic use of sandbags is critical to GDI operations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

The strategic use of sandbags is critical to GDI operations.

As is blowing up orphanages churches.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

As is blowing up orphanages churches.

Look, one of them MIGHT contain a money crate or something. You have to be sure! It's for the greater good and all that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
sometimes, you just gotta blow up an orphanage a church in order to save it