Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What is the allure of see it played at a lower resolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Enjoy the sprite graphics.
The graphics was designed to be viewed at low resolution, so you visually lose detail by showing it small sizes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Slaan posted:

What I'm trying to say here is Full Luxury Gay Bronze Age Cannibalism-powered Communism NOW!

This is the Command and Conquer thread, not the Original War one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well with enough super weapons :shrug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NewMars posted:

This is the Command and Conquer thread, not the Original War one.
Waaay before the Bronze Age.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

Thanks for doing the work for me, I hope it works - it's weird how older games work without much problems, though.

The linked stuff might fix the problems I had last time but if the final problem you have is the same as mine you'll get the game to run, the custom resolution (or whatever you set it to) will be fine, but as soon as you click any of the main menu buttons the game will appear to freeze. Well the game isn't actually freezing but in fact its the pop-up menus not appearing. You can still click on the menus as if they were visible but it's annoying nonetheless. I got that problem fixed by following the big post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Command-and-Conquer-Tiberian-Sun/td-p/1130506/page/2 and downloading that linked file. It says Windows 8 but it worked for me on Windows 10. The menus still occasionally vanish when I navigate between them during a mission but most of the time it works and its easy enough to click where the you think the button is.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xenoborg posted:

because you can literally see nothing at the huge resolution and it's a good looking game but it looks pretty garbage at modern resolution

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to Red Alert! The game is a marked improvement over Tiberium Dawn even if it doesn't bring a huge number of 'new' things to the table. The UI is better, most of the issues of Tiberium Dawn were tweaked, and there's a bit more variation in what's avialable.

It's still very blatantly on the Command and Conquer engine and tons of stuff is just reskins, mind. But it still (to me) is a much better and funner game than Tiberian Dawn for the tweaks it's gotten in on the game and smoothing out th eissues that a first game of any series will almost always have and learning from feedback

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The linked stuff might fix the problems I had last time but if the final problem you have is the same as mine you'll get the game to run, the custom resolution (or whatever you set it to) will be fine, but as soon as you click any of the main menu buttons the game will appear to freeze. Well the game isn't actually freezing but in fact its the pop-up menus not appearing. You can still click on the menus as if they were visible but it's annoying nonetheless. I got that problem fixed by following the big post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Command-and-Conquer-Tiberian-Sun/td-p/1130506/page/2 and downloading that linked file. It says Windows 8 but it worked for me on Windows 10. The menus still occasionally vanish when I navigate between them during a mission but most of the time it works and its easy enough to click where the you think the button is.

I've tried to run both games and thankfully with the previous patches both seem to run fine, even if the resolution being higher only seems to make the game screen smaller, but I can live with that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was gonna make a joke about how I was choosing which side based solely on alphabetical order and that GDI's actual title is "Murderers" but that's still before NOD.

Thankfully, they are the Brotherhood of Nod, so it still works :smuggo:

War Criminals comes after Nod

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looks like I'll be playing 800x600!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

SVGA 4LIFE :whatup:

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looks like I'll be playing 800x600!

LP forum sages advise you to upscale your video before uploading to Youtube. In the case of 800x600, I think the setting should be 1600x1200, nearest neighbor?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

cuc posted:

LP forum sages advise you to upscale your video before uploading to Youtube. In the case of 800x600, I think the setting should be 1600x1200, nearest neighbor?

You wanted 800x600, you will receive 800x600.

*a fingers curls on a monkey's paw*

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
make sure to discuss your authentic video settings in detail at the start of each video :v:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

play on a crt and use a film camera to capture the footage

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can somebody post a link to the new thread when it goes live? I navigate from my bookmarked threads and hardly ever just go browsing boards.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Prav posted:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

Nah, dig up a computer and monitor from the mid-90s and having it running windows 95 to really capture the pure authentic experience of classic Red Alert 1.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

Can somebody post a link to the new thread when it goes live? I navigate from my bookmarked threads and hardly ever just go browsing boards.

I will be doing that, so no need to worry :)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You wanted 800x600, you will receive 800x600.

*a fingers curls on a monkey's paw*

It better be footage from a camera aimed at a CRT too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It will not because I still play in windowed mode and I dont want you to see the trainers and cheats I have running in the background

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Two CRT monitors, you coward. On a period-appropriate PC. Recorded to tape, then digitised.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll record off my phone while playing one-handed

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Vertical format, please.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Vertical format, please.

The game already comes in top-down view

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Vertical format, please.

you monster

everything else was fine, but this is going too far!

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
I remember a GDI bonus map (maybe on the N64 version) that had you starting with just a Commando landing on a beach in the bottom left, blowing up some SAM sites, then a MCV would land and you had to build up a base and beat the rest of the map.

As a kid, we never had the patience for the whole campaign, but would play that map again and again.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

fluffykittys posted:

I remember a GDI bonus map (maybe on the N64 version) that had you starting with just a Commando landing on a beach in the bottom left, blowing up some SAM sites, then a MCV would land and you had to build up a base and beat the rest of the map.

As a kid, we never had the patience for the whole campaign, but would play that map again and again.

This is the mission you are thinking of.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

N64 - GDI Mission 01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2E07WJQGhU
N64 - GDI Mission 01

UNKNOWN

Objective: Set up a base in the area before destroying the Nod biochemical laboratory.

Briefing: Nod is experimenting on civilians with Tiberium. Use the commando to take out the SAM sites surrounding the dropoff area. With the SAM's gone you will then get an airstrike. Take out the Obelisk and an MCV will be delivered to help you to locate and destroy the biochem facility.

Author's note: A great setup, early airstrike, and access to good sources of income (on top of a lot of starting funds). Fun!

And yeah, also played that mission a ton. Was nice how 3/4 of the N64 bonus missions were actually really solid. Still not sure how I actually manged to beat most of the missions on the N64, especially with the... "unique" N64 controller and lack of key options, like game speed settings, though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:siren::siren::siren::siren:
Red Alert Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879498&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post491584942
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

For those of you who want a playlist of every Tiberian Dawn cutscene I could get my hands on, convert, and upload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LnwVjxG4I8

And one last shout-out to Spookydonut who, sadly, never finished his LP of the game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

So, why not have it all centralized in one thread? As the thread says, it is "every" C&C game!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chronische posted:

So, why not have it all centralized in one thread? As the thread says, it is "every" C&C game!

Because it would be too hectic to manage every unit, building, story element and character in one thread.

Sorry :shrug:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For purposes of archiving afterwards, it may also make it easier to archive each as a single game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

For purposes of archiving afterwards, it may also make it easier to archive each as a single game.

That too, yes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Patsux was the first Covert Ops map I ever played.

It was also the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tithin posted:

Patsux was the first Covert Ops map I ever played.

It was also the last one.

Thats awful :(.

I hqd a similqr experience qhen getting footage for the LP. Its why I don't bother playing it, haha.