Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So why is GDI fighting Nod? White neo-Nazis that are attempting to conquer the third world to extract rare (non)-earth materials? Would have thought they'd have just given them a contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah Red Alert only has 2 expansions. Retaliation is a console version, which I have to double check some stuff about, as its in a similar boat as Sole Survivor.

Retaliation was a compilation of RA1, CounterStrike, and Aftermath with added FMV's for the CounterStrike and Aftermath missions, plus some other minor additions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

I think if he had just cooperated with the police, that wouldn't have happened. The Orcas probably felt threatened by his Pistol He Was Armed With.

On one hand yes, on the other hand we are now his second in command, so if it's just an act to get the grunts in line he should have told us by now. I'm pretty sure Kane is a true believer (in himself), the only question is...do we believe?

Are we technically second in command though? Seth dying doesn't mean we necessarily filled his spot, and what if Seth was simply boasting that he was Kane's right-hand man?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So why is GDI fighting Nod? White neo-Nazis that are attempting to conquer the third world to extract rare (non)-earth materials? Would have thought they'd have just given them a contract.

According to rumours and unconfirmed reports, the Brotherhood of NOD was founded before 1800 B.C., so its entirely possible that, in the year 199X, the Brotherhood has evolved to a state where its able to conduct terrorism on a global scale. GDI was created as a response to that threat, and what to do about Tiberium.

There are very few dates to pin down where or how the Tiberium timeline plays out, but based on the manual, we know for certain that GDI was founded on 12 October 1995.

Oh and the text for the Brotherhood of NOD explicitly states that its really for neo-fascists.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Retaliation was a compilation of RA1, CounterStrike, and Aftermath with added FMV's for the CounterStrike and Aftermath missions, plus some other minor additions.

Acknowledged. I'll look into the minor additions and make sure they get added, like I'll be doing with SS

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Are we technically second in command though? Seth dying doesn't mean we necessarily filled his spot, and what if Seth was simply boasting that he was Kane's right-hand man?
Usually "you just got promoted" after watching a guy get executed means you get his job. And Seth could have been lying, but here we are taking orders directly from the man himself, if we're not THE right-hand man, we're pretty drat close I reckon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

Usually "you just got promoted" after watching a guy get executed means you get his job. And Seth could have been lying, but here we are taking orders directly from the man himself, if we're not THE right-hand man, we're pretty drat close I reckon.

What the video of Seth's execution doesn't show is that the noise in the background was from Kane closing our well-regarded TPS report on the current state of NOD's Africa campaign and we were promoted for our merits rather than the untimely death of a fellow co-worker.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What the video of Seth's execution doesn't show is that the noise in the background was from Kane closing our well-regarded TPS report on the current state of NOD's Africa campaign and we were promoted for our merits rather than the untimely death of a fellow co-worker.

There's plenty of room for 'right hand men' when you're a global organization after all! An unfortunate death is simply a happy coincidence. Of course, Kane has very high standards of quality among his inner circle, so you now have to worry about becoming another 'happy coincidence' for some other up and coming commander... but hey, it's all for Kane, right?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Perhaps, in following the Rome model, we are now the magistrate for the African sphere now that Seth has been "relieved". We aren't Kane's right hand man as in we are his #1 but since we are in charge of all the forces in this area we think we are pretty important.

There is only one emperor and there is only one Kane

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There is only one Kane. If you see someone who appears to be Kane but is lacking entirely in charisma and displaying a plastic skull, call for flame tank support immediately.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Simply Simon posted:

On the other hand, the player commander's responsibilities remain the same. We're still just a bit commander following orders to run specific missions in Africa. We're not managing field commanders or planning theatre wide strategy or anything like that.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
I'm surprised that no one pointed out the fact that Frank Klepacki voice the lines for the commando yet.

Also glad to finally see the NOD campaign, I only had the GDI Disc when I was playing this on my sega saturn some 18 years ago. Now if only openra would finish converting all the missions to their engine.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There is only one Kane. If you see someone who appears to be Kane but is lacking entirely in charisma and displaying a plastic skull, call for flame tank support immediately.

The plastic skull is indeed a dead giveaway, dispatch an assassin to eliminate.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
In response to your question in the video about speeding things up:

I think your pacing so far has been pretty good, especially since you're able to maintain commentary over the entire video. It might be worth it to speed up segments where little is going on but movement in the future, especially if you think you're running out of things to say.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, this is an awesome thing to wake up after surgery to. CnC is probably my favorite game series of all time and I've been a devotee of Nod since about eight years old. Mostly on the account of a dubiously useful but incredibly cool unit we have not seen yet.

You're doing God Kane's work, Jobbo.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
This LP makes me want to get the Ultimate Collection from Origins, but it seems like there're a lot of issues for the game that still pop up. Anyone ITT have any issues with the collection?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

White Coke posted:

This LP makes me want to get the Ultimate Collection from Origins, but it seems like there're a lot of issues for the game that still pop up. Anyone ITT have any issues with the collection?

I don’t have any details off the top of my head, but last time I had them installed on my new-ish laptop with Windows 10 they worked fine with some fan made patches/hot fixes I had to download (if you google them you should be able to find them; I think Tiberian Sun wouldn’t even run without some sort of hot fix that the internet suggested). The biggest issues for the older games are playing them at super-high resolutions which were much higher than they were ever meant to be played, so everything looks pretty small, and game speed was a bit of an issue too (I had to play the original C&C and Red Alert at minimum speed because anything higher moved lighting fast). Other than that, everything worked fine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

The Command And Conquer Tiberian Dawn game fucks up... constantly.

Got it to work once and it just refuses to go to the main menu. I should make a post about it, but thats what I'll be using for this mega-LP.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

The technical issues are why I can't wait for this upcoming remaster of Tiberian Dawn/Red Alert. I really hope it leads to a remaster of Tiberian Sun some day, since it's my favorite RTS ever.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Crazy Achmed posted:

It took me a while to realise that the intro is meant to be - I think - the player character watching future-TV and having their regular scheduled viewing hijacked by GDI and NOD, both trying to recruit us to their cause. There really need to be more games that have a totally seamless and in-universe experience from install to taking control.

All 80s+90s games at some level were about some random guy lounging about their house and getting sucked into events bigger than themselves.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Hank Morgan posted:

All 80s+90s games at some level were about some random guy lounging about their house and getting sucked into events bigger than themselves.
My god, the intro to Nox was Westwood ripping itself off :eyepop:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Hank Morgan posted:

Doesn’t it seem mildly concerning that GDI, the global military arm of the United Nations, would recruit couch potatoes through their TVs to command troops in battle? :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hank Morgan posted:

Yeah, Nox was pretty cool.

E:

ArchWizard posted:

My god, the intro to Nox was Westwood ripping itself off :eyepop:

Dammit!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
See also: Ultima.

You even got robbed while you were off on your fantastical adventures!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD Mission 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVtDG2JFGE
NOD Mission 11

MOZAMBIQUE
Population: 15,469,000
Expendability: 65%
Capital: Maputo
Government: Republic
Govt Corruptability: 52%
Net Worth: $1.7 Billion
Point of Conflict: Xai-Xai
Military Strength: Laughable
Military Resistance: 84%

Retrieve "Ezekiel's Wheel" from the GDI forces and eliminate all enemy forces in the area.

Objective: Find the Brotherhood's tech center and recover the Stealth Tank designs, then eliminate all GDI presence in the area.

Briefing: GDI has captured one of our technology centers. You must recapture the base and recover the stolen information. Our forces in the area don't have time to find a way across the river, so you will have to control the two forces separately.

Author's note: I'm going to have to look up Ezekiel's Wheel now... Also, it would've been really cool if we'd had received some Stealth Tanks from the get-go.

!!Somehow I saw $1500 as the ST's price point, I was wrong. Oops! !! $900 ain't bad for permanently cloaked tanks, but it does suck that they could lose 1v1 a Humvee at that price point...

Name: Kane
Aliases: Caine, Jacob; al-Quayym, Amir
Affiliation: NOD
Voiced/Played by: Joseph D. Kucan

The leader of the Brotherhood of Nod, Kane is shrouded by mystery. No one knows much about him, and the mythos surrounding him tells of tales of alternate identities, immortality, or simply rumours and hearsay. Murdered Seth after he tried to usurp control of the Brotherhood of Nod. Discoverer of Tiberium (Unsubstantiated) and believes it is the future of mankind. Appears to always carry a pistol at his side, a Beretta 92FS.

OBELISK OF LIGHT
ARMOR: MEDIUM
COST: 1500
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 100
POWER USAGE: 150
PURPOSE: LASER-EQUIPPED BASE DEFENSE
This high-power laser effectively destroys troops and armament at long range. It is the most powerful on-board weapon in the game. Its slow recharge time means that it cannot be the only weapon defending your base, however. Make sure you have excess power before building these, because damage to your power plants will keep the obelisks off-line.

Author's note: These can totally be the only base defense you build, manual :colbert:. The only two weaknesses for the Obelisk are that it can be destroyed a little too easily in my opinion, and that it requires a large amount of power to maintain.

STEALTH TANK
ARMOR: LIGHT
COST: 900
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 60
RANGE: MEDIUM
WEAPON: DRAGON TOW ROCKETS
This lightly-armored tank is equipped with the Lazarus shield, cloaking it from enemy sight. This shield is neutralized during firing, giving the tanks the ability to “appear” out of thin air. Although vehicles and most structures are not able to see the tank while cloaked, infantry and Guard Towers will reveal the tank if it gets too close to them.

Author's note: Great for scouting, ambushes, and hit-and-run attacks, the Stealth Tank is one of the better NOD weapons in the Commander's arsenal. However, the ability to remain permanently cloaked (under normal conditions) does come at a price of being weak defensively. Works best in numbers.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 7, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Realtalk, there are two reasons why people like nod so much: 1 is Kane. 2... is the obelisk of light. God drat I don't know if anyone else has ever pulled off a turret being so distinctive.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stealth tanks were so much fun in multiplayer. Harassing before we knew what that was, hiding units and damaging them just enough that they’d get damaged to yellow and spontaneously decloak... crushing Surges with your friends and landing on crates that turned regular tanks stealthy!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ill be honest, after years of taking abuse from Grenadiers, the flamethrower infsntry and tank are growing on me the more i use em.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Killing your own soldiers because they're no longer useful to you is an extremely Nod thing to do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ArchWizard posted:

Killing your own soldiers because they're no longer useful to you is an extremely Nod thing to do.

I learned it from you, Dad Kane! I learned it from you!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

flamethrower troops are surprisingly powerful, they just melt buildings

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Was surprised at how effective the Stealth Tanks were, had totally forgotten that they could fire over walls like that. And yeah, I am pretty sure that the AI can know where stealthed Stealth Tanks are but not directly attack them, hence the A10s bee-lining for em and the Mammoth Tank rolling after them right into the base. Good old fashioned AI cheating to make up for being dumb.

Oh, and did find it amusing that the technicians that spawned from the destroyed silos almost took down a Stealth Tank, crappy pistols can actually do something vs paper-thin armor looks like.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

NewMars posted:

Realtalk, there are two reasons why people like nod so much: 1 is Kane. 2... is the obelisk of light.

Yes.

This is the building that made me turn green with envy when I played the C&C demo.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I vaguely remember the mammoth tank only shooting rockets while its gun is not pointed on the target. I remember trying to alternate between targets or even to move away a bit when my mammoths were fighting infantry, to get it to use the rockets instead of the gun. Not sure if it really worked or not.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Stealth tanks are great - just require paying attention to and micro'ing to use them effectivley. Figure stealth tanks for recon and then flame tanks as your primary is a good bread and butter for NOD once you get your economy going. Recon + Heavy Hitters. downside is you have no real great.. Well, tanky sorts to take damage or put in front of the charge.

And I forgot how overwhelming GDI airpower was and how few counters (if any) NOD had to it other than baiting i away with sacrificial targets. Two strafing runs by ground attack craft seem to kill anything and everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And here it is, the unit that kept me with Nod for all these years despite having some less useful incarnations over the games. The Stealth Tank is pretty much the best RTS unit ever, the first ambusher, the most satisfying unit to use, the coolest thing about CnC (screw obelisks - at least until they get their incredibly cheesy visual makeover in TS). The only issue is that it's pretty drat weak and cost-inefficient but that never really stopped anyone in CnC.

Uh, did I mention I love stealth tanks?

wedgekree posted:

And I forgot how overwhelming GDI airpower was and how few counters (if any) NOD had to it other than baiting i away with sacrificial targets. Two strafing runs by ground attack craft seem to kill anything and everything.
This really always felt out of character to me, given the hit-and-run nature of planes in CnC, Nod should by all accounts have some stealth bombers (I know). GDI air is terrifying and there are missions you can win pretty easily with nothing but Orcas.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 7, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

NewMars posted:

Realtalk, there are two reasons why people like nod so much: 1 is Kane. 2... is the obelisk of light. God drat I don't know if anyone else has ever pulled off a turret being so distinctive.
Ain't that the truth.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I need to raise a point of order regarding SAM sites. The problem isn't completely that they suck. I understand the criticisms that have been leveled against them in this LP, and they are accurate - but also misleading. The thing is, it's true that there's really no point in building one. 3-4 at a time though are pretty effective. On the second attempt here at around 14 mins, the comment was made that the lone SAM did absolutely nothing. Well no, it shot two missiles at the A-10 bombing run. Things would have gone much differently if we'd had time to, or later invested in, building a trio of them or more. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of them would have taken out at least one and possibly both of the A-10s. Maybe not worth it in some instances, but they aren't useless - when used as designed :).

Meanwhile, I'm weird and never liked the stealth tanks much. Whose got time for stealth when you have the option of absurdly overwhelming firepower (eventually).

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 7, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

This really always felt out of character to me, given the hit-and-run nature of planes in CnC, Nod should by all accounts have some stealth bombers (I know). GDI air is terrifying and there are missions you can win pretty easily with nothing but Orcas.

GDI at this point in the Nod campaign has air supremacy. Nod has no real air units that are effective or good anti-air. So GDI can at this point in the game attack with near impunity with airstrikes and all Nod can really do is dig in and try and hit the airbases GDI has to counter it or bait bombers away.

(Very) broad RL approximation - air attacks by the USAAF on Japan in 1944 and 1945 where Japan has no real effective AA and bombers can strike with minimal interference from fighters or interceptors and the country can be bombed with nigh leisure.

For now, Nod has no real ability to stop airstrikes or inflict their own so I can't really fault it that much (game balance of course aside).

And (to Thotmix) 3-4 SAM sites have to be clustered together close enough to all get missiles off, take a lot of power to keep online, and are an expensive investment to build. But, they do pretty much neutralize air attack and deal with anything that comes in pretty effectively. Also you can just keep a ton of in-game rocket troopers and position them around the base - far enough apart they can't be collateral damage in strafing runs and some ofthem can get missiles off. Cheaper investment but not as effective counter.

Also stealth tanks are awesome yes. I think they're better when part of a mixed force. But, combined arms. Stealth tanks scout and flank, send in heavier units to inflict the damage, use stealth tanks to peel off the enemy and harrass, and hit and run. Throw in huge tank forces and you've got an answer to anything!

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 7, 2018

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Excellent LP so far.

I only played Tiberian Dawn when I got the First Decade compilation in 2005, so I started with Red Alert in the 1990s, skipped Tiberian Sun and went to Red Alert 2. Didn't complete the campaign either, and I'm impressed to see that it's just as difficult - if not more so - than the Red Alert ones. Micro-managing units is really tough in the early installments of the series; good thing they made it easier from Red Alert 2.

The execution of Seth is also one of the most hilarious cut-scenes in the entire series. I couldn't stop laughing when I first watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thotimx posted:

I need to raise a point of order regarding SAM sites. The problem isn't completely that they suck. I understand the criticisms that have been leveled against them in this LP, and they are accurate - but also misleading. The thing is, it's true that there's really no point in building one. 3-4 at a time though are pretty effective. On the second attempt here at around 14 mins, the comment was made that the lone SAM did absolutely nothing. Well no, it shot two missiles at the A-10 bombing run. Things would have gone much differently if we'd had time to, or later invested in, building a trio of them or more. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of them would have taken out at least one and possibly both of the A-10s. Maybe not worth it in some instances, but they aren't useless - when used as designed :).

Meanwhile, I'm weird and never liked the stealth tanks much. Whose got time for stealth when you have the option of absurdly overwhelming firepower (eventually).

Yeah, I'm being a little overly critical of them, but the other issue that creeps up is that their range isn't amazing either so large bases need even more sam sites to defend. And since theA-10s can technically come from anywhere, I find that the monetary investment required to successfully defend from them is useless when compared to just buying an Obelisk of Light or a few rocket troops, to either soak up damage or be sacrifced