Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ooh, looking forward to this thread.

Are the RA3 servers still up? That could cause some issues down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Generals is amazing, but boy howdy does the c&c branding they gave it not make sense.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

One thing I think I noticed in the video. Taking the gdi barracks didn't give you a gdi trooper option in the build menu. Was stealing the opposing tech tree not a thing in the first game?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, this series is kind of funny, when I think about it. I can remember it so clearly, and I think I've played basically every installment of it... but if someone asked me to talk about the actual mechanics, I'd have basically nothing but complaints for most of the C&C games. So I'm not sure it is what made them so playable and memorable. Was it really just the soundtrack and the hammy FMV acting that caught my imagination like crazy?

There's also a lot of stuff that's broken in fun ways though. And they were always visually a treat, so even if they weren't the most balanced games ever it was still fun to build a swarm of dudes and then watch them smash into an enemy swarm of dudes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The harvester?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

UED Special Ops posted:

Hmm, never actually thought of that, always assumed it was some minor noise from Kane nearing wherever Seth's command post was.

Kane was clearly listening in on the conversation for a bit given that he mockingly quotes seth after the murder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Usually "you just got promoted" after watching a guy get executed means you get his job. And Seth could have been lying, but here we are taking orders directly from the man himself, if we're not THE right-hand man, we're pretty drat close I reckon.

On the other hand, the player commander's responsibilities remain the same. We're still just a bit commander following orders to run specific missions in Africa. We're not managing field commanders or planning theatre wide strategy or anything like that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think it's just that nod tends to have the poorer countries and gdi tends to have the wealthier ones. Look at their stat tracking: nod just cares about whether they can establish a foothold, but gdi looks at what they get out of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah the faster build speed for multiple structures was in from the start. Its come up a few times, but he's usually blocked by funds not time and there aren't any advance bases to build/capture so he hasn't taken too much advantage of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

New page brought up the poll results and showed me that as things stand, Kane is ever so slightly more the best than Frank Klepacki

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

UED Special Ops posted:

And don't forget almost half of Ukraine as well. Things not looking too good for GDI at the moment, but hey, least we have APCs now. As for no-base missions, yeah, it all comes down to how they are designed. I'll give Westwood a bit credit for this mission though, if you follow the roads they lead right to the NOD base with only a handful of troops in the way. Plus the written briefing pretty much says to use the APCs to drive past NOD infantry to get to the create. Go off-road though and buggies and even a transport chopper have to be taken out for no real gain. Problem is that unit vision range is so small that you usually don't know the road is going to end until you have driven past it right into half a dozen rocket infantry.

Yeah, but they also hand you a bunch of apcs and infantry with multiple paths that go through tiberium fields. It went against my every instinct that those side paths led to a dead end and not a much less guarded back door into the base.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hey guys! We're making a generals 2! And it's being made by bioware prior to people hating bioware!

The game is now free to play!

It's just command and conquer, we're stripping generals from it.

Oh and the single player campaign too, that's going.

You guys wanted single player? Uh.... I guess we can add it in later

Here try our demo!

*Game is cancelled because it's bad and nobody liked it*

How did this happen!?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like how losing funding is played up as this big thing and then the commander just goes out and harvests all the money they use like normal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I kinda figured the point of this was to take out the building causing the jamming.

I feel like this mission wouldn't be nearly as bad if it either a) was a normal build base -> rout mission or b) actually told you the objective. As it is you have to shoot at/blow up everything that moves until you win because you dont know what to surgical strike. But you only have the ability to surgical strike.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The 12 unit selection limit in Startcraft was terrible. Never really played any other Blizzard RTS games but I can't believe they still have some sort of limit in SC2.

Its 255 units or something huge that will never be a problem outside of some custom maps.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

man, the ion cannon is such a wet fart of a super weapon in this one. You go down the entire tech tree, wait 10 minutes, and then after all that investment get to delete 1 building. maybe. some buildings can survive it.

Meanwhile nod dropped a nuke on your base and wiped half of it out in a single strike.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I like to imagine the last staunch Nod officer is the player from the Nod campaign. He has FAITH. hired some really lovely engineers to build the African temple of nod.

Fixed. Kane was all ready to "your archnemisis is in another temple" Shepard, but lost everything to poor choice in contract labor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

I can feel the potential Loss energy in this.

Also wall shenanigans have suddenly and violently reminded me of Metal Fatigue.

I had completely forgotten about that crazy rear end game before you said that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Did any of these maps get different briefings? The objectives look close enough that they could be reused.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is that when its spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise?

During a front flip, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We never saw Carter's body :colbert: