Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Oh heck yes. Thank you for doing this, both for the nostalgia, and to save me from the impulse to do it at some point in the future :P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

PS: Nod 4 lyfe.

A certain character from Tiberian Sun will soon be making your acquaintance. A struggle to submit to thread rules and not quote them here, but I shall resist the temptation.

Quality goon though you are, personally find this statement heresy.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

JobboFett posted:

Author's note: I always hear Seth's claim as being very boastful, as if he's hiding something. Anyone else get that vibe?

I always thought of it as more Seth reminding you how much more important he is. Not just in a boastful way, but a more a 'make sure you mind your place you greenhorn' kind of thing.

Also, I was curious if you've given any thought to alternating between the two campaigns, as opposed to going through one in sequence and then starting the other? I recollect that's how I used to play it and the contrast illuminates some things that happen. Or perhaps you have a good reason I've missed to do things as you are.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Totally forgot about Mechanical Man. Far catchier than it has any right to be.

Jobbo Fett posted:

Author's note: Seriously, what's Seth's deal?

Once again I interpreted this differently. There's IMO a clearer view of his arrogance, which is basically the only reason I know of to throw in the 'while I was at a top-level briefing with Kane' line. I really started to see him as a smarmy, slippery weasel at this point. I didn't find the rest of what he said to be nearly as odd though. As Kane's right-hand man, he wouldn't be the personal commander; I don't see either one of them as field commanders. It always struck me as more the idea that the personal commander would be Kane's most trusted man in the field, directing his most capable troops - like Napoleon's Old Guard or the Sacred Band of ancient Carthage - on missions vital enough to commit them to which Kane would naturally directly oversee himself. Seth, from this POV, would be the administrative person Kane hands off most less-important matters to, and he probably has others to delegate further on down the chain of command. I can imagine a NOD Leadership Council or whatever of sorts, where they would go over the key happenings in each operational theatre, and Kane 'suggesting' that the player-commander be given the Lagos AirBase Assault task. The reason Seth might say 'do not fail me' is that he's stuck his neck out in mentioning the player. Knowing what we know about Seth, I'm sure it wasn't for our benefit, but to further his own ambitions and stature and probably brag about the fact that Seth 'discovered' us. Having done so, and established the player as his protégé/golden boy/whathaveyou, Seth would have egg on his face and his judgement called into question if we fail. I also think it reveals that, to Seth, his personal ambition trumps the furthering of Nod's goals.

Or maybe I just put way too much thought into this.

Also, I notice that it doesn't particularly concern you to be low on power. I thought this made buildings run less efficiently - i.e., not build units as fast, etc. I know it does so in later games, or in the original here does it not affect much other than knocking the communications building off-line? I never had the engineer issue - so long as I was building a bunch of tanks to defeat the enemy base anyway, I would pretty much just smash the whole thing with them and not bother with the capturing part. .

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 30, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I like the GDI forces better simply because they have better tanks - which our illustrious LPer has already shown and talked about. I was always the turtle kind of player. Defend, build up your economy, get a stupid-large amount of tanks, flatten everything in sight. You can do that with either side, but NOD's light tank isn't nearly as good at it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I had no idea that Kane wasn't a real actor. There's … how do I say this nonspoilery … a moment that comes up at some point - that should be vague enough - where he really appears to have the gravitas to be one, and is one of my biggest memories of the series. Also, hasta la vista Seth! I always basically felt 'good riddance' at this point, and thought it was cool that the game was totally ok with offing your main link to the NOD command structure this far into the game. And of course waiting that long for us to actually see Kane and know it's him - there's a picture in an earlier briefing, but it's not revealed at that time who it is (the one with EVA).

Jobbo Fett posted:

Be sure that no GDI forces remain aliev.

Not picking on typos, this just made me chuckle. What means this??

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 3, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I need to raise a point of order regarding SAM sites. The problem isn't completely that they suck. I understand the criticisms that have been leveled against them in this LP, and they are accurate - but also misleading. The thing is, it's true that there's really no point in building one. 3-4 at a time though are pretty effective. On the second attempt here at around 14 mins, the comment was made that the lone SAM did absolutely nothing. Well no, it shot two missiles at the A-10 bombing run. Things would have gone much differently if we'd had time to, or later invested in, building a trio of them or more. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of them would have taken out at least one and possibly both of the A-10s. Maybe not worth it in some instances, but they aren't useless - when used as designed :).

Meanwhile, I'm weird and never liked the stealth tanks much. Whose got time for stealth when you have the option of absurdly overwhelming firepower (eventually).

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 7, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

NOD has some badass repair crews. They don't even have to see what they are repairing anyway. You'd think the tank commander would deactivate the stealth camouflage at the service depot.

ETA: Also, I'm not quite sure I fully understand the official opinion of grenadiers here. Are you trying to say you hate them?

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 8, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

LOL'd @ Jobbo getting simultaneously annoyed that the northern gunship 'might sprout 13 extra guns and mulch on his base' AND that the southern one wasn't shooting at him anymore.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

GDI are the 'good guys'. It's pretty much always a safe bet that the 'canon' result is for the 'good guys' to win.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Purple XVII posted:

it's yet more evidence that Nod is actually the heroes in this setting. After all, GDI only cares about material things, Nod cares about the people and how well they're governed.

Um, no. There's a reason why they are interested in corruptability. Both groups ultimately want power, they just have different ways of achieving it. 'Caring about the people' doesn't exactly square with 'defaulting to slaughtering villagers' - or with a number of other things vis a vis NOD.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

"Look at those grenadiers go to work. Beautiful. Best unit in the game by the way."

Well played, sir. I got a kick out of this.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

Don't the Orcs win in Warcraft 1? That's a pretty high-tier counterexample.

That's actually a good point - Warcraft II was one of the first games I played, I've only briefly seen the original. I would still say that it's a generally safe bet, but exception noted.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

JEsus that looked painful to play through.

I remember thinking I was a freaking genius when I finally beat this one as a younger homosapien. And then being ticked as crap at Carter yelling at me for screwing it up.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I find the discussion of C&C geopolitics to be equal parts interesting and hilarious. I remember just basically thinking that tiberium was mysterious, dangerous, and insanely valuable. And the two sides are fighting over it. And that's pretty much it. Which is probably what Westwood did, as has been averred -- but who really knows how deep they thought into it.

Also, this LP continues to menace with spikes of awesome, but being as I am an annoying twirp, I must still raise another point of order.

Jobbo Fett posted:

(in the video, with notable indignance) Kane is taunting us, and thankfully absolves us of killing an orphanage - because it was a church we blew up! - c'mon, get the facts straight

Yes, let's get the facts straight.

Greg Burdette, in the video segment immediately preceding Kane's appearance in which he made this statement posted:

… this is Greg Burdette, standing in front of what GDI terrorists have left of the St. Alofsky(?) orphanage

Just sayin'. Kane had his facts straight :).

As for the mission, goodness did I ever play this one way too many times. My rampaging OCD compelled me to repair every stinking building I had and lose none of them and save as many vehicles as I could, regardless of the fact that it is of course better to sell the silos for cash right away, etc.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

As fearsome as the OoL is, for my own use I actually prefer the Advanced Guard Tower for the flexibility.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I never saw this mission when I was younger, because of not being able to beat the previous one. I basically would be able to take over the secondary NOD base but would slowly get beaten back after that, although I didn't try that hard. Was really surprised by this follow-up, esp. bc it appears the GDI campaign is longer than the NOD one because reasons? I also think that stealth tank at the hand is a complete jerk move.

I view the two campaigns as being alternate versions of the war, not stuff that happens simultaneously. Regardless of other things, Kane can't be in Africa and Europe at the same time. I.e., without the player commander, whose brilliant skills of following basic directions and fairly low-level critical thinking are totally unmatched anywhere else in the human race, either NOD or GDI will not succeed in their campaigns in the 'other' theatre.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 19, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

6A is the one I usually played - at the time I didn't know there were even different options. Racing down to that area at the bottom was always nerve-wracking, and it took me a while to figure out that GDI had too many forces to just smash their base.

Counterpoint on the story & Gen. Sheppard. It's true that he's not as cool/charismatic as Kane; but I don't think he's supposed to be. I view him as the 'company man' type, not particularly excitable personally but highly capable. At the UN press conference, I didn't see him as 'bored' but rather contemptuous of the reporters who just didn't get it. His unraveling at the end of the campaign enhances Kane & NOD, by demonstrating what a threat he views them to be, to the point that he views it as necessary to burn the candle at both ends and risk everything to take them out now. Not in five minutes, not after breakfast, but NOW. I think if Sheppard was just GDI's version of Kane or whatever it would have been bad for the story. They have a different agenda than NOD, different organizational structure - it wouldn't make any sense for them to not have different leaders as well. It's mostly a by-the-numbers role, but I don't find it to be a disappointing one most of the time - and I think that after Seth is out of the way, the NOD side of things has its issues as well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Corbeau posted:

if people just plain cannot help themselves then maybe it'd be better to package alt runs/events at the end of the relevant mission videos.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop people from posting stuff about games that haven't happened yet, etc. I'm in favor of short-term probations, length increasing with repeated violations by the same person. An innocent, or relatively so, mistake can happen but clearly the 'please don't post spoilers' has way beyond run its course, and hasn't really gotten the message through enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

CommisarMega posted:

I'll agree that RA2 (with its expansion included) is the best in the series, but anyone who says RA3 shouldn't follow directly after is living in denial

It ain't just a river in Egypt! I think RA3 is one of the worst games of the series. The second iteration of both sides was clearly the best overall IMO - with TS significantly above RA2 - but I'd happily play anything C&C prior to RA3 over it