Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ethiser posted:

I liked V,X and T, but man did I really like the cast of T. The original cast was pretty meh

????

T's cast is the best original cast since Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

edit: also im assuming anyone who didnt think the t cast were the best OGs ever didnt use sagiri

Yeah, this is my assumption too.

Sagiri is easily my favorite original character and I wish she had a cooler robot to go with being all-around rad and having a support team that plays well off her.

Admittedly I think the entire V-X-T line is relatively strong assuming you go Female-Male-Female because their counterparts all kinda are meh, though I really enjoyed the Huckbein/Grungust duo except for the fact that if you don't have the preorder DLC they get massively shafted.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this is my assumption too.

Sagiri is easily my favorite original character and I wish she had a cooler robot to go with being all-around rad and having a support team that plays well off her.

Admittedly I think the entire V-X-T line is relatively strong assuming you go Female-Male-Female because their counterparts all kinda are meh, though I really enjoyed the Huckbein/Grungust duo except for the fact that if you don't have the preorder DLC they get massively shafted.

As I've said before (and might have to say again), I suspect most people who say Saizo is lame didn't play much with Saizo.

I'll grant that he's a more comedic character than Sagiri, but that leads into a lot of solid gags, and he also puts a different spin on his archetype than most.

Usually, when you've got someone who's got as... unusual a worldview as Saizo, the comedy comes from his inability to process standard social situations. (See: Full Metal Panic). But with Saizo, he's completely able to understand how things work. He's got professional ethics, he understands not everyone sees the world the way he does, and he's completely functional even in absurd situations. It's just that his method of processing just about everything is "How would the ideal salaryman handle this situation?"

He's also got better responses to the big reveals. Sagiri telling Presbund to go to hell is just her being a bit more pissed than usual. Saizo telling him to kiss his rear end is a stronger moment since, well, he doesn't do that. He also gets a scene where he says "Oh, yeah. I knew the boss was an rear end in a top hat this whole time. He didn't remember my name. A good boss always remembers his employee's names." in the most casual way.

I always love when a player character gets to respond to a big plot reveal with "Saw that one coming."

They're both very good, even if they're both not particularly interesting as the second character.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

To me a big part of what makes a good OG character is a good robot and the robot in T is aggressively boring.

If anything the guy character is better because the robot looks like it’s wearing a suit which really fits his salaryman brain.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 14, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saizo isnt terrible or anything, hes fine, but sagiri is an explicitly bi female lead in a game with gundam and votoms in

Edit: the tyrano is kinda dull but its better than a lot of Real originals because it at least leans into being dull a bit rather than being a bland knockoff seed/00 gundm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

As I've said before (and might have to say again), I suspect most people who say Saizo is lame didn't play much with Saizo.

I'll grant that he's a more comedic character than Sagiri, but that leads into a lot of solid gags, and he also puts a different spin on his archetype than most.

Usually, when you've got someone who's got as... unusual a worldview as Saizo, the comedy comes from his inability to process standard social situations. (See: Full Metal Panic). But with Saizo, he's completely able to understand how things work. He's got professional ethics, he understands not everyone sees the world the way he does, and he's completely functional even in absurd situations. It's just that his method of processing just about everything is "How would the ideal salaryman handle this situation?"

He's also got better responses to the big reveals. Sagiri telling Presbund to go to hell is just her being a bit more pissed than usual. Saizo telling him to kiss his rear end is a stronger moment since, well, he doesn't do that. He also gets a scene where he says "Oh, yeah. I knew the boss was an rear end in a top hat this whole time. He didn't remember my name. A good boss always remembers his employee's names." in the most casual way.

I always love when a player character gets to respond to a big plot reveal with "Saw that one coming."

They're both very good, even if they're both not particularly interesting as the second character.

I specifically went back and tried all the other characters on my recent replay. I came away with a better impression of X's male lead and the same impression of the other two. I don't think Saizo's interplay with the other characters is remotely as interesting or enjoyable nor do I find his overall plot as sympathetic as Sagiri's. Sagiri's plot is about having to deal with lovely work situations you hate because of capitalism and Saizo's is Salaryman Power and of the two I'll take the first every single time.

Also Sagiri being able to go "Y'know, I'm dating girls now" is infinitely cooler than anything Saizo can do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
13 Sentinels is still absolutely engrossing. I had heard things here and there on the internet that said so, and they were right. The combat part is all in symbols, but The characters and robots and stuff are visually established in the adventure part in pretty amazing ways. I haven't seen anything else like it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 14, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not that Saizo is lame per se, but if you connect with Sagiri she's really really good. Saizo's unflappable principle thing is fine but Sagiri's sass is a delight (especially with dramata's writing), and also refreshing after Chitose and Amari - and I prefer Chitose as much as the rest of the thread.

Also, there's this reverse-V situation going on. Individually, Soji's and Chitose's personalities are both all right - Soji is chill, Chitose is earnest - but their dynamics with Nine are what tilt things towards Chitose because she has a sisterly growing-up-together relationship that's fresher than Soji's closer to a normal dude with the magic robot girl in the back seat. Rami and Saizo are a decent wacky-mentor shtick but Rami's arc with Sagiri is a really sweet blossoming crush that builds up her self-confidence over the course of the game.

KoB
May 1, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Im pretty sure Sagiri gets this scene too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

It's not that Saizo is lame per se, but if you connect with Sagiri she's really really good. Saizo's unflappable principle thing is fine but Sagiri's sass is a delight (especially with dramata's writing), and also refreshing after Chitose and Amari - and I prefer Chitose as much as the rest of the thread.

Also, there's this reverse-V situation going on. Individually, Soji's and Chitose's personalities are both all right - Soji is chill, Chitose is earnest - but their dynamics with Nine are what tilt things towards Chitose because she has a sisterly growing-up-together relationship that's fresher than Soji's closer to a normal dude with the magic robot girl in the back seat. Rami and Saizo are a decent wacky-mentor shtick but Rami's arc with Sagiri is a really sweet blossoming crush that builds up her self-confidence over the course of the game.

Yeah, a big reason I feel the way I do is the character's relationships with their subpilots. Soji and Nine just don't quite mesh as well, Amari doesn't the full bird sass which both makes him a weaker character and makes the various twists around him feel more out of place, and Rami and Sagiri are really fun together both in a mentor/new employee fashion and in the ever-increasing blatant crush that Rami gets on Sagiri.

Also I genuinely feel like the opposite characters make more sense with how they end up in the secondary robots. Soji feeling like it is his only choice really feels right for the character and Saizo being the dude who pilots the Geshpenst feels like it fits his character better. Amari isn't necessarily *better* in the co-pilot seat but both characters make about the same sense.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

KoB posted:

Im pretty sure Sagiri gets this scene too.

She does.

And yeah, put me down for finding Sagiri's route stronger than Saizo's. And if you have the Gespenst from early on, Saizo fits the wacky rival role far better than Sagiri fits it on his route, because his weirdo salaryman thing jumps across incredibly well.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Amari is just kind of weak in general. Weak presence, weak relationships (and not just the bird), doesn't fit the robot, obviously only there because there needs to be a selectable girl character and they just swapped in the actual hero's girlfriend. Not in a cool way like Kusuha and Bullet, either. It's not like her relationship with Hopes is a black mark on an otherwise functional protagonist in the same way as Chitose/Nine gives her an edge and Sagiri/Rami seals the deal on an already strong personality.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can see it having a PS5 version but it doesn't seem overly likely they wouldn't pull a Persona and do PS4 and Switch too, especially if they keep doing English versions. (Please keep doing English versions.)

Even if it is coming for PS4, I hear Sony is mandating all PS4 games after a certain date also release for PS5.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Saizo isnt terrible or anything, hes fine, but sagiri is an explicitly bi female lead in a game with gundam and votoms in

Edit: the tyrano is kinda dull but its better than a lot of Real originals because it at least leans into being dull a bit rather than being a bland knockoff seed/00 gundm.

Well, there has been a bi Gundam pilot and a bi female lead in a Gundam series. Not like it's a poor fit.

And I will say that the Tyrano, while dull, is a giant robot with a tie, and I have to respect that.

(As for the overall character discussion, when people say that Sagiri is better, I have no issue with it. I had a bit more fun with Saizo, but they're both good, and Sagiri's much more relatable as a character in a lot of ways. Someone saying she's better is a pretty defensible position.

It's Saizo being called lame that I object to, because the psycho grin and shades sprite alone justifies his route.)

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yeah i’m fine with all the OG characters, the only “lame” one is Amari. And I really wanted to like her.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/1272036845522546688

When will we get the dream of the Daicon IV Macross

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/1272036845522546688

When will we get the dream of the Daicon IV Macross
Probably when Harmony Gold are dead, buried, the corpse set on fire, and then buried again.

Oh, and they'd have to come up with a plausible in-universe reason for the Macross to even need to replace its arms with the Yamato and the Arcadia. That'd probably slow things down a bit. And then find a way to rebalance Harlock and Okita (and their respective bridge crews) to work with the Macross' stats since now it'd be a three captain show with those two and Global as the pilots.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
For V, any tips on what to spend my tacp on?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wdarkk posted:

I always immediate rush the tree that grants passives. Makes sure at level 2 to pick the one that gives you extra TacP based on how many enemies you downed in the chapter as it scales hilariously better than the option to get money or the hybrid one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, save up the global upgrades and rush the extra TacP one.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Also other than the above, 'Potential' is stupidly cheap for characters that can get good use out of it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Yeah i’m fine with all the OG characters, the only “lame” one is Amari. And I really wanted to like her.

I guess I'm a weird person who liked Amari a lot. I liked her trying to be in charge even a little and just being out of her depth completely. And also I just liked her piloting a kungfu magic robot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Still on V, I noticed that characters join with non-zero kill counts. Do these count towards the acquisition of secrets? If I was on a new game+, would kills from the previous playthrough count?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wdarkk posted:

Still on V, I noticed that characters join with non-zero kill counts. Do these count towards the acquisition of secrets? If I was on a new game+, would kills from the previous playthrough count?

Yep, secrets that have kill requirements are totally transparent no BX bullshit with having to track it all on a spreadsheet or anything

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Zore posted:

Yep, secrets that have kill requirements are totally transparent no BX bullshit with having to track it all on a spreadsheet or anything

That's good. What do people normally get for tier 3/4? I'm feeling a little intimidated by the "can't change it" bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

That's good. What do people normally get for tier 3/4? I'm feeling a little intimidated by the "can't change it" bit.
None of VTX are that hard so it really doesnt matter. Plus all of the options are pretty good. That said I think accel boost (+1 movement permanently when you get to 3 ExC) and SP Burst (+20 SP at start of map) are the obvious best ones.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

wdarkk posted:

I want with crit damage at 3, and will at 4. The crit kicks in at the same time you have enough SP to do the every attack this round crits EX skill, which works even for valor/soul attacks, which means bigger damage, plus not having one unit in a group you want to stick together get ahead of the rest because they got an extra kill early. +10 will to start is also nice, since it means your death roll can get started faster. Any of them at 4 can work though, if you lean into them. I don't use SP or EXC as much as just facerolling things for the most part, so starting a bit faster made most sense to me.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Pumping Stats is also very high value for your back in TacP for V that was nerfed in the games that followed after.

My preferred order is unlocking the global upgrades interweaved with purchasing a small handful of the equippable items that strike your fancy, then going all in on the attack stat on certain pilots like the Yamato's captain

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kchama posted:

I guess I'm a weird person who liked Amari a lot. I liked her trying to be in charge even a little and just being out of her depth completely. And also I just liked her piloting a kungfu magic robot.

Amari herself is fine.

The problem's Spero interacting with Amari.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Supremezero posted:

Amari herself is fine.

The problem's Spero interacting with Amari.

I could have played the game without Spero being there and been okay.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's a Maxiburst ON network test on the PS store right now. I don't know when the actual service starts, other than that it's not yet. I guess I'll give it a try, but when it comes down to it, I know that any match that I play online will be a against a bunch of decades old grizzled veterans who are playing the game in a different world than me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a Maxiburst ON network test on the PS store right now. I don't know when the actual service starts, other than that it's not yet. I guess I'll give it a try, but when it comes down to it, I know that any match that I play online will be a against a bunch of decades old grizzled veterans who are playing the game in a different world than me.

I participated in the closed network test a few weeks ago and that was pretty much my experience. It's a fun game but there's no way I'll ever play it with anyone but a private group of people of similar level.

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

It'll be free to play starting this weekend, continuing every weekend until the game's launch at the end of July. You'll also be able to play arcade mode offline. Pretty snazzyyy https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/gundam...=GundamMBON_OAB

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

deets posted:

It'll be free to play starting this weekend, continuing every weekend until the game's launch at the end of July. You'll also be able to play arcade mode offline. Pretty snazzyyy https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/gundam...=GundamMBON_OAB

Hmmm it's not showing up in my play store

Edit : found it when i google searched it but it wouldnt show up when i typed in Gundam, Mobile suit, or maxi boost

Tythas fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 20, 2020

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Heads up for interested folks, Gundam VS Maxiboost ON preorders are up now on EU and SEA PSN. Only the normal version is up on EU, but there looks to be a Premium Sound version as well on SEA which claims to be in English/Japanese. The open access for that region also says English/Japanese on the store, so it's probably worth downloading that to be 100% sure beforehand, if anyone's interested in checking to see if it's actually got English for that region.

The normal and premium versions are 90 and 120 Singapore Dollars respectively, and there's a list of what extra tracks are included over here:
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/mobile-suit-gundam-extreme-vs-maxiboost-on-launches-july-30-closed-network-test-set-for-april-25-to-26

Preorders also look to get you an extra day of access a week as well, which is nice if you wanna get in some extra play time overall.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
PM me for a link if you want to hang out on a tiny little Discord.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 24, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I heard about what was going on and I literally came here about to ask if there was a discord; there’s a lot of smaller SRW groups around the net, and I really don’t want to go to /m to talk about this stuff, so this works perfectly

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Got to have some kind of backup connection to the people here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hokuto posted:

PM me for a link if you want to hang out on a tiny little Discord.

I don't have pms :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't have pms :smith:

I'm in the same channel. If you're on discord already, hit me up on Brunom1#5942.