Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Droyer posted:

Gonna be a tough choice between the Braves on Earth (presumably) and MJP in space.

Yeah this is like the first time in a while I've actually had to think about which split to pick and I might have to play this one twice over even if there isn't an NG+. In most of the recent games it's like "Do you want to hang with Mazinger and Getter, or do you want to hang with Gundam SEED?" Or it's like "Do you want to hang with Cross Ange or do you want to do literally anything else?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Yeah this is like the first time in a while I've actually had to think about which split to pick and I might have to play this one twice over even if there isn't an NG+. In most of the recent games it's like "Do you want to hang with Mazinger and Getter, or do you want to hang with Gundam SEED?" Or it's like "Do you want to hang with Cross Ange or do you want to do literally anything else?"

I'll take Ange in that split, all the time :colbert:

Seriously though, when they have a relatively well defined real-super split, choosing between taking all my high movement dodge tanks away and replacing them with low movement supers, I've always found it a pretty easy choice. It's the splits where they split off like, the FMP units and the Gundams or Ange and Geass units on separate sides of a route split that are the painful choices :negative:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I never pick cross ange because I hated that show and even if SRW makes it less bad, I still can't stand it and it's one of the few series I actively wind up mashing buttons through the plot scenes of. At least it's not Buddy Complex :shepface:

I prefer splits of "units I like vs ones I don't like" over hard super and real splits. The worst are when it's like in X where one route has like three unlockable units and the other just doesn't have anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait do people not just do saves before route splits and then do both before moving on?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I have never done that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly if you mashed through cross ange's plot scenes then srwv must have sucked rear end, cross ange contains like everything interesting in that game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait do people not just do saves before route splits and then do both before moving on?

No, why would I do that? That's the entire point of NG+! I'll play the other routes with a far more powerful army!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:emptyquote:

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I guess that doing multiple routes through save-reloading makes sense if you want to only play through the game once, but I'm definitely in the camp where I want to replay SRWs. There's always more units I want to use than there's space for even just in the series protagonists, never mind all the other characters I like. I feel like I wouldn't have picked up the same kind of affection for Cross Ange, for example, if it hadn't specifically ended up as a central point of my second V playthrough due to the routes I picked first time around, but it's not like everyone has that kind of time.

It'll be interesting to see how 30's Tactical Area Select system handles team splits. I wonder if it'll just be like MX but with optional grinding stages or if there will be some real impact to the order you pick certain stages.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I never reload a save to do another route split.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I used to do that, but now I just tell myself I'm gonna play through twice and then I don't.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The only SRW I have not played at least twice in a row is SRW GC cause it has no route splits nor exclusive secrets.

Just different interactions for MC you choose at the start

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Droyer posted:

Gonna be a tough choice between the Braves on Earth (presumably) and MJP in space.

I looked up the video and it is Combattler + J-Decker on Earth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I might go Gundam routes for once to go for the Victory story.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

First time I won't because I usually play a second time. If there's a third route I might do the save/load thing on the second playthrough or wait a couple of years and do one where I save/reload every route to see everything all at the same time.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
one day when we finally reach the end of this Thread hopefully due to an influx of new fans im thinking about yelling "Ciela Lapana... Purify us!" at the very last page :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

one day when we finally reach the end of this Thread hopefully due to an influx of new fans im thinking about yelling "Ciela Lapana... Purify us!" at the very last page :v:

I like this.

Anyway new SRW threads tend to come with announcements/releases of new games. I'm way too busy to craft a new OP and will likely stay that way until the fall, but if anyone else wants to make one (and/or reuse the OPs from this thread) take my blessings and let your ambitions ride on your steel frame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I thought half the splits in T were pretty good. The regulars had Gunbuster, the irregulars had the Getter, and both sides had a lot of cool, crazy poo poo going down.

The other splits were just "Hey, ZZ Gundam.", and there was a fair chance you needed them if you wanted Ple points. That kinda sucked. Especially the mission where you had to give kills to all Judau's friends for the skill point.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

anime industry is cowards

a DavidPro-esque adaptation of the Getter Robo manga please?

while I'm still alive?:smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Getter Robo (atleast from the Manga side?) was more Ken Ishikawa's baby then Nagai's and it unfortunately died along with him

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Getter Robo (atleast from the Manga side?) was more Ken Ishikawa's baby then Nagai's and it unfortunately died along with him

Getter Robo Hien was a new manga in Ishikawa's Getter manga continuity, and after that we've had Dash/Darkness, High, Dino Getter, and Devolution which has even got an English release. Getter Robo's been doing well compared to pretty much any of its peers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Getter Robo Hien was a new manga in Ishikawa's Getter manga continuity, and after that we've had Dash/Darkness, High, Dino Getter, and Devolution which has even got an English release. Getter Robo's been doing well compared to pretty much any of its peers.

We're even getting a new anime directly(ish) adapting a nearly 20 year old manga. It's not the best looking one out there, but it's still going.

Sure, you compare to Gundam and Eva, it doesn't look so great. Billion plus yen box office, tons of merch, regular headlines, it makes Getter look smalltime. But compare it to Mars, Raideen, Combattler, or even Mazinger, it's in pretty respectable shape.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 22, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

The other splits were just "Hey, ZZ Gundam.", and there was a fair chance you needed them if you wanted Ple points. That kinda sucked. Especially the mission where you had to give kills to all Judau's friends for the skill point.

Only if you actually deployed them :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

However, Ishikawa's big magnum opus, Void War Chronicle, has barely been fanslated. :negative:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

i thought those were alternate universe stuff. like I'd thought the consensus was that Arc was the end of any actual "canon" considering Ishikawa's passing. if I'm wrong, I'm wrong

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hien is written to be able to fit in between Go and Arc but is vague enough about it that it works fine as it's own thing, every other Manga not done by Ishikawa is it's own thing like all the animes and games are

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i thought those were alternate universe stuff. like I'd thought the consensus was that Arc was the end of any actual "canon" considering Ishikawa's passing. if I'm wrong, I'm wrong

As mentioned, Hien is supposedly based on Ishikawa's notes, taking place between Go and Arc. The anthology, Will of Evolution, is mostly AU stuff, but at least one chapter is set up as taking place between parts of the saga. Meanwhile, Devolution is an AU, but it goes in... directions that imply connection to the original Getter saga.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

As mentioned, Hien is supposedly based on Ishikawa's notes, taking place between Go and Arc. The anthology, Will of Evolution, is mostly AU stuff, but at least one chapter is set up as taking place between parts of the saga. Meanwhile, Devolution is an AU, but it goes in... directions that imply connection to the original Getter saga.

they have literally been teasing this Secret Wars-esque poo poo for nearly 25 years now

can't even get a crappy OAV of it (the actual war):smith:

Wheel Of Time that poo poo again!

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 22, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

they have literally been teasing this Secret Wars-esque poo poo for nearly 25 years now

can't even get a crappy OAV of it (the actual war):smith:

Wheel Of Time that poo poo again!

To be clear, by "implications", I mean

Devolution ends with the Getter Emperor appearing and fighting the manga's main Getter team, who've synced their Getter with every single human being alive to maximize the machine's potential. (This particular Getter team is the result of the real Getter team running an evolutionary simulation using the power of the Emperor to create the ultimate Getter Robo. The pilots just managed to force the simulation to recognize them as a necessary component, forcing them into the "real" world. This kind of pisses off the real Ryoma.)

Getter Emperor loses, and the heroes vanish, reshaping the multiverse to repeat the legend throughout time and space, ending on a panel of Ryoma holding up a picture of his father, just like in the first Getter Robo.

So, it went past teasing to actual poo poo going down. Still might not be to your satisfaction, but it actually tried to do something rather than just talk about how something was going to happen.

Also, we're getting Arc right now, which is presumably going to actually end the story rather than stop at a cliffhanger.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do I need proud ace to get ace bonuses? Or does the skill just lower the kill count required?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Do I need proud ace to get ace bonuses? Or does the skill just lower the kill count required?

The latter. Proud Ace is a waste of TacP.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Seriously though, when they have a relatively well defined real-super split, choosing between taking all my high movement dodge tanks away and replacing them with low movement supers, I've always found it a pretty easy choice.
I feel like in theory if a designer knows that a split is only going to have relatively slow moving units then the missions in that route should be designed around the known limitations, and heck it matters less for SRW given stuff like parts granting flight / increased movement and all that.

But then I thought "who am I kidding they probably just draw a piece of land and then slap down 30 mooks willy nilly no matter the scenario"

edit:

Hunter Noventa posted:

No kidding, it looks useful but the game just kinda drowns you in kills.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Proud Ace is just there if you're missing a few Aces before the True Ending check.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

What's the kill count without proud ace?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the kill count without proud ace?

60 for Ace, 80 for Great Ace.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Welp, I feel stupid for buying as many as I did. Glad I asked though, three stages down and chirico is almost at 50 kills.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm about 2/3 through my second run of T and absolutely everyone is aced, just from the 'get kills' suborder between stages and the free kills from route splits

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Also the name Proud Ace implies that it makes your Aces better, but instead it makes it easier to become an Ace so it's like... the opposite of pride. It should be renamed to something like Easy Ace or just make it a paid bonus to the pilot killcount but that comes across as comically dark.

Like imagine Fa coldly going to the TacP store and paying Nine to go murder 10 people in her name to pad her stats.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

honestly you get so much TacP at times though, depending on which game specifically it can be easy as hell to give everyone proud ace and not be hurting. X, which was the last one I played through recently, with its DLC and bonus stages just kind of vomits out TacP at you to the point where I was struggling to find things to spend it on after a while because I didn't want to just dump it all into stats since my dudes were already so beefy only bosses weren't being overkilled, and even then it was a pretty narrow margin.

Anyway I've been watching Victory gundam, and I love the Haro in this show. It'll never happen, but I'd love it if they brought the giant Haro mech from the SD Gundam games over and gave it to that little guy as a secret unit. I suppose I'll have to settle for it co-piloting with Uso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Proud Ace works as a name if it's a skill certain pilots to join with and some enemies have. It might technically be bad TacP value, but most VXT ace bonuses are big enough boosts that I never begrudged paying to get them online sooner.