Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Goddamn that key visual. Rayearth front and center, as it should be.

Also,

quote:

Magic Knight Rayearth is a magical girl series, and the original manga doesn’t have mechas,

Yes it does. The hell, Terada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hellioning posted:

Also,

Yes it does. The hell, Terada?

Terada is a Fake mecha fan

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bet he's getting killed for that on Twitter or somewhere.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Have to pander to overseas since video game sales are worse every un Japan, arent they? How the gently caress do they not like GGG, ya tasteless bastards

Also PLEEAAAASE give us a Hell and Heaven Burning Finger duo attack :allears:
See, I look at that statement as the newest chapter in the continuing saga of Bandai Namco realizing their products have fanbases outside of Japan. Hopefully this means that they're also making sure the English translation is continually being improved on.

Also, shame on you for not wanting Doble Infierno y Cielo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Samurai Sanders posted:

I bet he's getting killed for that on Twitter or somewhere.

I can think of one person I follow on Twitter that pointed it out.

https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1067295130875502592

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can think of one person I follow on Twitter that pointed it out.

Yeah I just opened up my manga and took a quick picture of a random shot of the mechs on the first page I found with them. They are certainly not absent from the manga. The whole point of it being called Rayearth is that that's the robot name.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Rascyc posted:

I really cannot imagine English speaking overseas sales are still much of anything in the grand scheme of things? I still find this direction really strange if it's really targeting the west.

It could be an effort to see if they can generate some more interest in the western import markets. Not massive gains but angling for some growth by hitting it out with some old favourites in the west isn't a bad idea.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember reading G-Reco was popular with kids and grandmas instead of "normal" Gundam fans.

I love G-Reco so all I can say is where do I gotta go to hang out with cool mecha loving grandmas and talk about the show?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I love G-Reco so all I can say is where do I gotta go to hang out with cool mecha loving grandmas and talk about the show?

I'm right here.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait, Nadesico is in this? If this is one serious I am utterly and completely EXHAUSTED of seeing it's loving Nadesico. Stop clogging up my roster with 10 of the same loving robot

God Gundam standing next to GGG is loving glorious tho

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, shame on you for not wanting Doble Infierno y Cielo.

Haha, yesssssssss

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Plus, it was the first Gundam that wasn’t in the Universal Century, so it had that against it as well.

Also, the most likely combo attack is going to be between Gaogaigar and Might Gaine (Same franchise, plus same voice actor for their leads.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait, Nadesico is in this? If this is one serious I am utterly and completely EXHAUSTED of seeing it's loving Nadesico. Stop clogging up my roster with 10 of the same loving robot

God Gundam standing next to GGG is loving glorious tho

Nadesico has had maybe three units and one ship since V? :confused:

It's been a long time since J.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, Nadesico barely shows up these days and when it does it's just the Prince of Darkness movie.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Plus it's mostly Prince of Darkness now because Yūji Ueda can't scream anymore and Akito barely emotes in that. Listening to him try to scream in BX was just kind of sad.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Just let him voice Crowe forever.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Super Robot Wars: This is Complete Nonsense... and Absolutely Amazing

I recorded one more thing from Alpha 2 before I took another break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOmfA1VS-lc

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Prince of Darkness was pretty good in V so I don't really mind seeing it again in T if its used similarly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Prince of Darkness was pretty good in V so I don't really mind seeing it again in T if its used similarly.

How was it used? Because as far as I'm concerned, Prince of Darkness is just bad source material.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The big thing for me is that they bring Akito to a midpoint between his PoD characterization and his TV characterization, so while he's still silent guy at times, you also get him defending the honor of elaborate Super Robot transformation sequences and so on.

Also they make Yurkika a subpilot of the Nadesico.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The plot is concluded and Akito joins ASAP, Yurika is saved and hangs out on the Nadesico as a subpilot, and everyone hangs out with Akito and he relearns not to be a sadsack.

Also Ange gets a battle quote where she calls the PoD badguys a bunch of complete losers.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

If you're looking for SRW Games to play on the PC, there's my fangames, which are cool and fun, features series that only a grand total of 3 people would know of and makes you ponder important questions like whether Happiness can be achieved without Sacrifice. Most of them are fairly short so you can knock them out within a couple of days.

SRW DB / SRW GR / SRC Collab Blitz

------
There's a particular Japanese chart going around that shows that the sales of each SRW game has been declining since Alpha 3, if you put any credence to it. Trying to push SRW overseas seems less of a "Come on, it's extra money for a bit more effort!" thing and more of a "this needs to succeed or we're slowly going to bleed to death because Japanese kids think robots are old-fashioned"

I always figured they meant Southeast Asia when they talk overseas and not Westerners. However, back in the V days, there's an interview where Terada states V's overseas push was mostly success, but the sales in the West was lacking (I presume they took into account that it wasn't actually released in the West for that), and he was looking into ways to try to boost it, name dropping the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe on an international scale. This might be it, but the only real series I can think of that fits the criteria is Cowboy Bebop, which as far as I know was only a real success in the West and merely a cult following in Japan (some rumors say it financially bombed in Japan, if you believe it).

CB might very well be popular in other SEA countries though. Still, I figured if you were going to Western pander it would be Evangelion and Gundam Wing. T's Cast List still reads to me to be more of an SEA thing.

Speaking of PoD, I wonder if Izumi and the other Hikaru is going to be promoted to playables from their current status as Summons.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the best part of V prince of darkness is post-recovery akito just making GBS threads on the edgelord villains

an actual conversation in-game is a main villain going "YOUR MECH IS A BLACK SHELL LIKE YOUR SOUL" and his response being "actually it's just effective camouflage in space"

also he thinks everything about might gaine is the coolest, it's great

Hellioning posted:

personally I would be satisfied if all I had was a picture of dann and nothing else

gun x sword rules

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I love it when Asuka is just "That's so cliche" about Might Gaine, and Akito responds "That's what makes it amazing." Akito is happy and his love of the classics is still there. Also Nine coming up with a way for Akito to regain his sense of taste and, iirc, her being sad that it's over time and not right away but Akito just smiling and thanking her anyways.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hey Netflix US is doing a live action Cowboy Bebop. I wonder if the SRW folks knew...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

Oh hey Netflix US is doing a live action Cowboy Bebop. I wonder if the SRW folks knew...
It is an odd coincidence yeah, but maybe just that. After all, the new CB is going to be a mostly American deal right?

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Getsuya posted:

Personally I think it's a coincidence born from being about the 20th anniversary of Cowboy Bebop (it aired between 1997 and 1998). They probably decided to add Cowboy Bebop for that reason, while Netflix started signing the papers to get the live action project greenlit for the same reason.
I'd compare it to how in 2015-2016 there was the Sanada Maru drama on NHK for the 400th anniversary of Yukimura Sanada's death, and at the same time Capcom made a special Yukimura-den version of Sengoku Basara, while Koei also made their own special Spirit of Sanada version of Samurai Warriors.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Getsuya posted:

Is it gonna have Keanu Reeves? Because he really wanted to make that live-action movie back in the day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

There's no way TV Eva wouldn' be in this game if they knew what was going on at netflix.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

well good news that isnt going to happen :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think J and W were the only games to use all the Aestis, because W was where they started using PoD.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Caphi posted:

I think J and W were the only games to use all the Aestis, because W was where they started using PoD.

Also A and R

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah V just had 2 Aestis and Black Selena. And the Aestis suuuuucked and we're never force deployed so it was really just the Black Selena and Nadesico most of the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Wait, W was the first use of PoD? That explains why Akito joins so stupidly late, but at the same time, the Nadesico plot is changed and it affects PoD so we have post-timeskip Gai Daigoji, I'm surprised they went that far on the first use of a series/movie, terrible as it may be (and goddamn is it terrible).

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Nah the first time POD appeared was R and it was only for the first 3 stages before you went back in time. MX was the first “real” time it was used though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Also Saburouta says "looks like we rustled their jimmies" or something like that in one of the DLCs. It's good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked PoD in W because time-skip Gai and Akito can still do their gekiganger combo.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Impact used a lot of Aestivalis units, FWIW. Frames and everything.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Escalayer always cracks me up in that image. It reminds me of a 4chan thread where where people were coming up with SRW ideas. Escalayer gets badly censored to "holding hands".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Impact used a lot of Aestivalis units, FWIW. Frames and everything.
Impact's also the only time Yurika was playable as an Aestivalis pilot, right?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tae posted:

I liked PoD in W because time-skip Gai and Akito can still do their gekiganger combo.

It's too bad there's so many good reals vying for the leftover spots after you field all the supers since they're hilariously broken in W.

I think having all the aestis would work if you don't have a mainline Gundam also filling your roster with a bunch of reals. Maybe have Turn A be your Gundam rep.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Impact's also the only time Yurika was playable as an Aestivalis pilot, right?

I don't remember this...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Hokuto posted:

I don't remember this...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxPKJRiFeJQ