Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Welcome to the Super Robot Wars thread, your home for burning passion and giant robots beating up other giant robots! Do you have a heart filled with justice? Then this is the thread for you!

What is Super Robot Wars?
Super Robot Wars is a long-running tactical RPG series centered around just about any mecha anime you can imagine, all being thrown together into a fanfiction blender. Depending on the game, you can control robots ranging from Gundams to Valkyries to Evangelions to Voltron, and you move units around on a grid and perform attacks with Fire Emblem-style animations.

What do you mean, depending on the game?
Every SRW title has its own individual series roster with one or two dozen different anime series being featured in a given game. It's largely the interplay of different series (read: crossover fanfiction) that dictates the story and pace of a given game. For example, sometimes you get Evangelion plot overlapping with RahXephon. But Evangelion never coexists with Voltron (so far).

If these games aren't available in the US, where does that leave me?
Due to many complicated factors, licensed SRW games have never been released in the US or Europe. But in the past few years, Bandai-Namco has been on a steady trend of releasing English language versions of their SRW titles for Southeast Asia, and these games can be imported from online sellers or purchased online for direct download via the Singapore PSN Store.

What's this OG thing I sometimes see mentioned?
OG is short for Original Generation. The devs that put out SRW games sometimes branch out and make SRW titles that have nothing but original content and characters, and this series of games is called Original Generation. Oftentimes, the original characters that get created to serve as protagonists or villains for licensed SRW titles end up getting a second lease on life as characters in the OG series. This series is notable for being long-running—Five games so far plus direct tie-ins from connected games like ACE:R and Endless Frontier. So it can get kind of convoluted and baggage-heavy if you try to just jump in at the latest title, but it's a solid series with an enjoyable cast of characters and robots.

What are my English game options?

LICENSED OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars V (PS4/Vita) (Series list here!) - Featuring Space Battleship Yamato, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion movies, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSaCrx_pZYQ

Super Robot Wars X (PS4/Vita) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Nadia, and Mashin Hero Wataru, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

Super Robot Wars T (PS4/Switch, due out 2019) (Series list here!) - Featuring Cowboy Bebop, Magic Knight Rayearth, Gun X Sword, Captain Harlock, and GaoGaiGar, among others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpemgQu1c5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH_eWGd5_Bc

LICENSED FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, Xabungle, Braiger, and Macross Plus, among others.
Super Robot Wars J (GBA) (Series list here!) - Featuring Tekkaman Blade, Nadesico, Layzner, and Mazinkaiser, among others.
Super Robot Wars Advance Portable (PSP) (Series list here!) - Featuring Dragonar, Daimos, and G Gundam, among others.
Super Robot Wars (GB) (Series list here!) - The original game for Game Boy, featuring Gundam, Mazinger Z, and Getter Robo.
Super Robot Wars 2 (NES) (Series list here!) - The sequel to the Game Boy original, featuring UFO Robo Grendizer.
Super Robot Wars 3 (SNES) (Series list here!) - The third installment in the original story, featuring Daitarn 3, Raideen, Gundam 0083, and Combattler V.

ORIGINAL-ONLY OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Moon Dwellers (PS4/PS3) - The fifth entry in the long-running OG series. Word of warning, the translation is rough around the edges, to put it kindly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFYueSOCuE
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (GBA) - The first OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 (GBA) - The second OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.

ORIGINAL-ONLY FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords, AKA Masoukishin (SNES) - An SNES fantasy strategy RPG featuring all-original robots called Elementals and Elemental Lords.

What's the best game for a beginner to start with?
It really depends on your taste in mecha anime, and that's why the series list is so front-and-center in each of the listings above. What series do you like or remember fondly? If you love Robotech, you can find Macross and Macross Plus in Alpha Gaiden. If you're more of an Evangelion person, then V is definitely the game for you. And the upcoming T is going to have all kinds of peak 90s anime entries that people have been clamoring for, like Magic Knight Rayearth and the return of GaoGaiGar. The point is, read the series list for each game and decide which one speaks to you personally. And don't be intimidated by there being a bunch of shows you don't know. None of us knows every single entry in a game, and discovering shows you haven't seen through the game is half the fun!

How do I actually get the games?
For official releases, you can purchase physical copies at import retailers like Nippon-Yasan or Play-Asia. EMS shipping is recommended for overseas sellers like these; It's expensive, but your alternative is letting it get shipped for 3+ weeks by boat.

If you don't care about owning physical media, the newer PS4 entries can be purchased on the Singapore PSN store. To do this, first you set up a PSN account based in Singapore, then you go back to one of the above-mentioned online retailers and purchase a Singapore-based PSN Store money card code. This will allow you to buy things on the Singapore PSN Store and download them directly to your PS4, no region controls necessary.

For Vita users, it's a bit more restrictive. The Vita is hard-locked to the account that you set it up with, and the only way to change that account (and thus, your region) is to factory reset your Vita. Not recommended unless you're ready to give up your current games/saves and permanently embrace your Vita being tied to a Singapore account.

Switch online purchasing tutorial forthcoming.

I can read Japanese and I don't want to be restricted to English options. What's the WHOLE spectrum of games?
You can find a full list of SRW titles HERE, and each game links to an associated series list. It's a lot of stuff!

This game is complicated and I barely know who anyone is. When is a question too stupid to ask in this thread?
Never! Please ask anything you want, no matter how basic it seems. We all started out somewhere, and you'll find a lot of chill people here who are more than happy to break things down for newcomers.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
These people play SRW games so you don't have to!

A number of SA regulars have completed exhaustive screenshot Let's Play threads of different SRW titles, including Brunom1, Caphi, Dr. Pepper, and Tobias Grant. Everything except the Alpha Gaiden LP is a translation LP, meaning the poster plays through the game in Japanese and translates the plot and dialogue as they go. If you want to see how ridiculous these stories get over time, or just get a glimpse of an SRW title that you probably wouldn't play yourself due to language barriers, feel free to read through one or all of these!

Super Robot Wars Z by Brunom1, Dr. Pepper, and Caphi

Super Robot Wars Z2.1: Destruction by Caphi

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden by Tobias Grant

Super Robot Wars MX by Brunom1

Super Robot Wars W by Brunom1

Super Robot Wars L by Brunom1

Super Robot Wars UX by Brunom1

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 19, 2019

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
PLACEHOLDER POST

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hell yeah bring on the robots and space pirates and space pirate robots!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I miss ye olden Dynamic Pro shows in these games. rip Final Dynamic Special

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if T will have anything about it's gameplay standing out.

Bye old thread

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 25, 2019

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

I miss ye olden Dynamic Pro shows in these games. rip Final Dynamic Special

I just want old fashioned Getter.

Or something non-Armageddon. I dislike it's version of Shin Getter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if T will have anything about it's gameplay standing out.
The letter for the game is T. Therefore, we'll be getting the grand return of the TRI system. Or something else with the letter T that somehow doubles as a groan-worthy pun because Japan. Or it's a pun because Izumi is in the game.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

AradoBalanga posted:

The letter for the game is T. Therefore, we'll be getting the grand return of the TRI system. Or something else with the letter T that somehow doubles as a groan-worthy pun because Japan. Or it's a pun because Izumi is in the game.

The final boss is voiced by Terada.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's super space Tomino here to kill everyone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for making the new thread. I'll close the old one.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
T's cast list is looking quite nice. Very excited.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks for making the new thread. I'll close the old one.

Thanks, Space Samurai :v:

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 25, 2018

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Come on Banpresto just give me original Dancouga again. You went through all the trouble of making animations for it in Z2.2 and then haven't reused it since.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ethiser posted:

Come on Banpresto just give me original Dancouga again. You went through all the trouble of making animations for it in Z2.2 and then haven't reused it since.

The fact that we only got one game of the Dancouga-Brofist is a crime.

Man, I've got a hankering to replay some old SRW games. I think I might do Z following along with Brunom's LP so I actually know the plot this time.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've never played a SRW game, but I want to - I also don't have enough attachment to any mecha anime to choose based on that, so my question is: which (translated) entry is the most bad rear end?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Relax Or DIE posted:

I've never played a SRW game, but I want to - I also don't have enough attachment to any mecha anime to choose based on that, so my question is: which (translated) entry is the most bad rear end?

Whatever is newest will always have the flashiest animations so V or X.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SRW T is lookin' great! Which is why I just ordered X off eBay. Buying these games almost a year after release seems to work out pretty well for me!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Policenaut posted:

SRW T is lookin' great! Which is why I just ordered X off eBay. Buying these games almost a year after release seems to work out pretty well for me!

Same, though instead of ordering X I should get back into V.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Getsuya posted:

And T will probably surpass those, since the system holding it back is the Switch instead of a PSP. Plus, it's got G Gundam, so the flashy badass stuff is pretty much guaranteed.

Master Asia fights Mobile Suits on foot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uh excuse me, it's the Vita that you're thinking of, not the PSP you jerk.

Give the Vita the dignity in death it didn't have in life. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

I disagree. I think OG's blows away V and X and also Z3. Z2's are also better I think.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I disagree. I think OG's blows away V and X and also Z3. Z2's are also better I think.

Ah, I haven’t played any of the OGs since PS2, but I may pick them up while I’m over in Japan at the end of the month.

Also going to pick up Super Hero Generation. I haven’t seen almost any of the series in it but that’s par for the course with me.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Relax Or DIE posted:

V and X are both stand-alone games you can get into without any prior knowledge. If you're willing to go for portable or emulation, OG1 and OG2 for GBA are older entry points (from around 2002) that don't feature any licensed mecha anime at all, but still hold up nicely in terms of gameplay and story.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

V and X are both stand-alone games you can get into without any prior knowledge. If you're willing to go for portable or emulation, OG1 and OG2 for GBA are older entry points (from around 2002) that don't feature any licensed mecha anime at all, but still hold up nicely in terms of gameplay and story.

OG1 is horrible to learn on. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just starting out and it has made me rethink my enthusiasm for SRW.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As someone who got into SRW with OG1 GBA, can confirm it was a slog. Especially if you started with Ryusei route.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

As someone who got into SRW with OG1 GBA, can confirm it was a slog. Especially if you started with Ryusei route.

What, don't you love water stages with no water mechs?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
OG was also my start and those stages were rough

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Relax Or DIE posted:

I was basically in the same situation and I had a good time starting with V. Though if you want to play an English SRW, X would probably be just as good a starting point.

Just take a look at the original protagonists and their mechs for both games and go with whichever seems cooler.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I still find it funny Rayearth comes to SRW one game after the magic world setting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hellioning posted:

What, don't you love water stages with no water mechs?

Hey, the gespenst were water mechs

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Pureauthor posted:

I still find it funny Rayearth comes to SRW one game after the magic world setting.

My brother is still upset that X had a fantasy world setting and didn't include Knights & Magic.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I genuinely would like more games on the power level of OG1, the only thing I would complain about is the lack of Getter 3 to use during the water stages and maybe some of the Barrelion placements.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

I genuinely would like more games on the power level of OG1, the only thing I would complain about is the lack of Getter 3 to use during the water stages and maybe some of the Barrelion placements.

I'd be all for a low-power SRW but at the same time I have no idea which series you could use for it, and doing OG1 again would be kind of boring.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think you could do an interesting scifi setting around Z1's lawless frontier aesthetic. Set the outlands on Mars or something and lean into the whole "Federation is dicks, the badlands are awful" situation a touch more than Z where the Federation was kind of dicks but they were also extremely manipulated. Ignore Crono and Big O and just base your ongoing civil war Earthnoids-vs-Spacenoids thing on that.

Basically OG by way of IBO instead of UC. Hell, throw in W at this point, now that you have an OG setting that's actually interplanetary instead of "we have one decent spaceship and some colonies no one ever talks about."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still want another post-apoc SRW game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, I'd love to see Xabungle and King Gainer return.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still want another post-apoc SRW game.

It would also be a perfect game to slot Xenogears into.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The most buckwild idea I want to see is a proper SRW set in the world(s) of Endless Frontier.

Failing that, Golion and Netflix Voltron getting a brofist team-up.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd be all for a low-power SRW but at the same time I have no idea which series you could use for it, and doing OG1 again would be kind of boring.

Gameplay-wise, power level is somewhat arbitrary, as any game with Chirico shooting the Anti-Spiral to death can attest. However, the aesthetic would be achievable with a lot of scrappy rebel reals like OYW Gundam, Nadesico, and VOTOMS backed with supers that need a home base like Getter Robo Go, Godannar, and Jeeg.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

HitTheTargets posted:

The most buckwild idea I want to see is a proper SRW set in the world(s) of Endless Frontier.

Failing that, Golion and Netflix Voltron getting a brofist team-up.

Gameplay-wise, power level is somewhat arbitrary, as any game with Chirico shooting the Anti-Spiral to death can attest. However, the aesthetic would be achievable with a lot of scrappy rebel reals like OYW Gundam, Nadesico, and VOTOMS backed with supers that need a home base like Getter Robo Go, Godannar, and Jeeg.

If it were possible, classic Mazinger would work. Gets stats, a couple more attacks and its main upgrade is the Jet Scrander, giving it flight and space capability.