Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think you could do an interesting scifi setting around Z1's lawless frontier aesthetic. Set the outlands on Mars or something and lean into the whole "Federation is dicks, the badlands are awful" situation a touch more than Z where the Federation was kind of dicks but they were also extremely manipulated. Ignore Crono and Big O and just base your ongoing civil war Earthnoids-vs-Spacenoids thing on that.

Basically OG by way of IBO instead of UC. Hell, throw in W at this point, now that you have an OG setting that's actually interplanetary instead of "we have one decent spaceship and some colonies no one ever talks about."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Or a super robot's trashy jet mode you mainly use because it has one extra square of speed.

On the other hand, OG1 had Cybuster.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

Know that you bring it up I’m surprised we’ve never had a Combattler/Getter/Gravion style original where it’s a combination of multiple smaller vehicles.

The Valguard includes a ship (and a thing with a jet form), and the Valzacard includes an extra of each to be a quad combiner.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Grungust 3 is a tank and a jet. Compatikaiser combines with the G Thunder Gate.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A Dancouga attack that starts another, smaller SRW map in which you play the components entering the enemy mech and breaking random internals while shooting down security.

That can't have just been Nova, right?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Rascyc posted:

I really cannot imagine English speaking overseas sales are still much of anything in the grand scheme of things? I still find this direction really strange if it's really targeting the west.

I mean, they're paying for English localization for the third year in a row (I have to assume MD was localized on the dirt cheap, if not somehow in-house, but I'd be surprised if T went back to that after all this). It may not be a lot, but neither is SRW in general - foreign sales are at least pulling enough weight to justify themselves.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait, Nadesico is in this? If this is one serious I am utterly and completely EXHAUSTED of seeing it's loving Nadesico. Stop clogging up my roster with 10 of the same loving robot

God Gundam standing next to GGG is loving glorious tho

Nadesico has had maybe three units and one ship since V? :confused:

It's been a long time since J.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think J and W were the only games to use all the Aestis, because W was where they started using PoD.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I was trying to stop saying "play Neo" and "make Neo again" for everything but then terrainchat happened?!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
She announced it when X came out. That explains why it's good!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I played X in Japanese but I am very interested in English translations of stuff I like/play and I haven't ever seen anything in X that gives me even a bit of pause. And there were one or two things in V, as ecstatic as we all were that it... wasn't MD.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Eh, neither SRW nor the English SRW community are big enough for news to diffuse easily. The mere fact that you're reading this thread puts you close to a center of it (not least because an official translator posts here). As soon as V came out and wasn't a complete HK job, you'd have heard.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Guys. I restarted Neo. It's so good. I've been this annoying about how good it is and I forgot half of it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe it'll have two good OGs this time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh poo poo I forgot about the Gravity Antenna.

Learnable/mass-producible skills are weird. I do wish SRW had more unique skills that really set individual pilots apart and gave them gimmicks to play with. My favorite is when everyone loved OG making Squad Commander as a way to differentiate frontline leaders from people with Command auras, so the next game they renamed it Maximum Break and let you just throw it on anyone.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure the game won't let you buy skills that can't be used on sub pilots, just SP related stuff.

OG has a fair share of pilots who can learn main pilot skills but will practically be subpilots 95% of the time, like Sleygh, Shoko, Rim, and whoever gets stuck in the G-Bison.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like getting the unique 50% bonuses and that's enough.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think in Z it's possible to get Chirico, who has monstrous skill as it is, up to like 80% give or take base crit on all his weapons.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
T please be good.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Repair skill allows you to use the Repair command, if the mech has it, to restore 50% more HP than otherwise. The Resupply skill allows you to use the Resupply command, if the mech has it, after moving on the same turn.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The thing about the pilot skills for repair/supply is that they aren't actually just called the same thing, but are called 修理技能 or 修理スキル ("Repair Skill") in the sense of Repair Expertise or Repair Know-How.

I'm not saying this is a translation fuckup or anything, it's probably something to do with space limitations.

e: "Mechanic" and "Supplier"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Just woke up, quick thoughts on the PV:
  • drat, I wanted to hear BGM Tank
  • GGG... yikes, and they're making whole new attacks for it too (what's the angle about the Dividing Driver attack, anyway)
  • YOU BASTARDS YOU SAVED THE NEW GETTER FOR LAST DIDN'T YOU
  • OCs look nice, I'm kind of behind the robot future office vibe (stop being weird, it's a black office skirt with a pink butt, there've been weirder fashion choices in SRW)
  • the new Nine (is that the new Nine?) is cute
  • what's going on with the other lady, her whole thing says support crew but her design says boss
  • even the robot is getting in on the industrial look, I like the plane wings
  • since the sub-OC pilots the Gespenst, and you can have the Gespenst early, maybe there won't be any weird traitor shenanigans going on - now if only they don't also fall tritely in love
  • support command system seems interesting, v hype for Ed to be gameplay-relevant
  • Tread on the Tiger's Tail

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In addition to getting to unlock three more Sub Order slots you can just send anyone on a Sub Order now regardless of who you used, lol who gives a poo poo anymore.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to make Spike destroy the Z-Master.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It took me way too long to realize the robot was holding a sword in its hand and it wasn't just yet another fin, goddamn.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Depends on the game! Z1 is portals but good, Z2 and 3 are portals but bad, many older games try to get everything into the same universe and tying their histories and politics together with varying degrees of effort and success, and we've actually just had a spate of games where the shows are divvied up into a small handful of sub-crossovers that are all separate but internally consistent and get brought together by the events of the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Isn't Z1 the one where NPC Kira shows up with permanent Mercy, which means that all he's really doing is leaving whoever it is both operational and prone to get blown up by the next enemy who glances at them (this may or may not be intentional)?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
GGG-Reco
Bebop Complex
Rune God Hero Wataru

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Eeyup that's the same character designer as Nine. I guess he just has a thing for puffy lips.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Rejected Z3 design for Titty.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I had her figured for a mechanic but there's a robot it says is hers so I guess so.

She was a mechanic but they found out she has psychic powers and put her in a robot.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 27, 2019

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Just how horny is this DD originals dump? Well,

even the robots.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There isn't. We're basically all waiting for clarification from the publisher. Even if you can import the cartridge, there's the question of DLC, which possibly includes the preorder Gespenst.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If I can buy this game once and have dual language that's honestly a huge sell for the Switch version for me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Touga from Gravion absolutely thinks he's a Gundam ace in Z. If I remember right there are two specific subpilots pick up all the slack. (He gets Courage eventually... I think?)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
free my post from the Time Prison

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You're thinking of the Genion.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's so good it's disappointing that it's not actually 2FA. The two factors are "something you know" and "something you have," so if someone intercepts your data they still have to mug you for the key or card or whatever, and if you lose the thing it's useless without the password. This is just two keys.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't know if you've seen Infinity, but Great's probably going to leave for a little while.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's no SEA eShop so it's going to have to be physical for Switch, which I assume is what Revolver Bunker meant.

On the SEA PSN, it's SGD 90, which will probably work out to about USD 70 in account codes.

I want it for Switch too but I might go with PSN just because I don't know that we know how English Switch DLC (including the Gespenst, which Play-Asia is promising) will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
For me it's less the Gespenst itself (though I do want the full VTX team on board, dammit) so much as tipping the scales on how inferior the Switch version really is. You can't get DLC. You can't change the music. You have to physically import, which I really don't feel like doing again after waiting for EMS to get me all my PS3 games and moving to all digital when I got a PS4.

The Switch's form factor is a huge sell, but the odds are just stacked against it. I'd like the BGM feature, I wouldn't mind Saizo being relevant, and I don't have to wait two weeks for the package to fly halfway around the world.