Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Whatever is newest will always have the flashiest animations so V or X.

And T will probably surpass those, since the system holding it back is the Switch instead of a PSP. Plus, it's got G Gundam, so the flashy badass stuff is pretty much guaranteed.

Master Asia fights Mobile Suits on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

SEED alongside literally any other Gundam show makes no goddamned sense because of the whole 'Only Coordinators can use mobile suits' deal for like, half the plot or whatever. But oh wait, Gundam Fighters.

And the painfully straight way SEED is played in J doesn't really help, as you said.

G, I'd say it's even more amazing.

"We've genetically engineered the ultimate human! All limitations have been surpassed! Truly, this is the future of the species!"

"GASP! He must mean the seven foot tall Russian space pirate, who can punch through a train!"

"Err... no."

"Ah. I see. The blue haired girl with a superhuman rage mode, a martial arts prodigy continually monitored by expert scientists. That explains things."

"...No."

"You can't mean... The Undefeated of the East himself?!? Yes, that explains everything. Mere martial arts would never let a man punch a skyscraper into the air and fire Kamehamehas."

"...It did. We meant George Glenn. He's good at football and also science."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Brains AND brawn. That's impressive, right?"

"How many trains can he punch through?"

"...none."

"Oh. Because Kyoji Kasshu can do Nobel prize level mobile suit engineering and punch through a train. He's also a ninja. Is George Glenn a ninja?"

"...no."

"I'm sure you tried very hard. We'll go back to meditating under waterfalls now."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Oh poo poo we’re actually being pandered to! Makes me sad japan doesn’t seem to care about GGG though, and I remember G Gundam is usually at the bottom of popularity polls there.

Nowhere close to the bottom. The recent big Gundam poll had it in eighth, between Wing and Unicorn. Several characters and suit designs also made their lists, including Master Asia as the 13th most popular character. While it's not at Zeta or SEED levels of popularity, there's a lot of love for it around. Probably more then when it first came out in a lot of ways, since now it can be the fun oddball of the franchise, instead of making people worry that the grim war setting are gone for good in favor of more super robot stuff.

The bottom of the poll is Igloo 2: The Gravity Front, but AGE, Try, and G-Reco are also down there. If you want to see a real gap in reception, though, you can look at Thunderbolt.

US Gundam discussions tend to like it a lot, while in the Japanese rankings, it's down below double Zeta and the TV cut of Unicorn.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Jesus. I can’t imagine the kind of fury you’d get telling a Western Gundam fan that Turn A is only one slot above Destiny.

Wtf are you doing down there Best Gundam Ever AKA Build Fighters?

Edit: I remember a smug Gundam fan telling me this stupid urban legend about the Seed/Destiny staff begging Tomino to help with the plot only for him to say ‘Go watch Turn A’ :smug:

That does sound stupid. Especially considering how things stood at the time. Turn A wasn't Gundam's biggest flop ever, but it wasn't exactly a smash success. Meanwhile, SEED was a big enough success that the rumors say Bandai was considering having it replace the UC as the main Gundam setting, and Destiny drew record ratings early on.

I mean, I like seeing Anno poo poo-talk SEED in the intro to The Origin as much as the next guy, but facts are facts.

(Also, that doesn't sound much like Tomino anyway, considering how self-effacing he tends to be in interviews.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

K does but it's terrible and not any fun at all. Coming from the guy who played it like 3 times, K is a very bad game.

Seems to have a kind of weak series list, too.

I mean, we talk about how often the UC shows up, but there have been, what, eight shows there? There's plenty of room to have different main focuses aside from the contractual "Also Char". The DS games switching to SEED as the focus makes them work with a smaller, worse pool for their Gundam options, which is amplified by the whole "SEED makes no sense with other Reals" problem restricting the pool more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Maybe it's some selective male gaze on my part, but I don't notice weird outfits in anime/manga so much as I do Minerva X getting all kinds of vibrated in Mazinger's cockpit.

I'm not surprised you didn't notice Sayaka's clothes in those scenes, seeing as there were hardly any to notice in the first place.

I'd agree that what I've read of Zero hasn't been that good, but I'd say there's a bit of the reverse angle, too.

It doesn't lean hard enough into the looping. It starts with that, but then it settles into one reality for chapter after chapter, treating stakes within that timeline as important when it previously established the complete annihilation of the human race as a regular Saturday Night thing.

When you have a time loop, the rule of thumb is to focus on what stays constant between loops, because that's what's important. So, Minerva and Kyoji, with more emphasis on Kyoji picking his memories back up.

I'd also say it messes up by not giving the reader a good viewpoint position. Every single character has a ton of knowledge (later revealed in poorly paced flashbacks) that the reader is ignorant of, stuff that they'd consider incredibly obvious, but the reader has to pick it up in multi-chapter expo-dumps. It makes it harder to feel anchored.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I forgot the Shirogane gets shot down twice in one game. Shu and Viletta should high-five for that.

That's not wholly different from Gundam, either. The UC calendar is generally assumed to start somewhere in the late 2000s or early 2100s. With colony construction beginning as early as right the gently caress now.

That's nothing. In Gunbuster, we should have FTL and be in the middle of a war with aliens right now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

SciFi is always so optimistic about how fast technology changes. I guess it's an inherent part of the genre.

Have you ever seen "Forbidden Planet"?

On the one hand, it had mankind reaching other planets by the present day. On the other hand, if memory serves, it also didn't have a successful moon mission until the 90s.

Some things we assume are easy are incredibly difficult, but some things assumed to be nearly impossible are relatively easy. Such is life.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Now we accept Bright is the best and he can kill whoever he wants, regardless of series, species or plot.

Weren't we talking about how almost every mech anime had a reason that their mech was the only solution to the bad guy of the series?

Because those all have "And also, Bright isn't here right now" as a chaser.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kchama posted:

Yeah, agreed one hundred percent. Why the gently caress is Gato always the one recruitable?

At least G Gen DS got this right.

Probably because Gato's really popular for... some reason.

Maybe because he tells Nina he doesn't give a poo poo about her. Gato may be a mass murdering space Nazi, but at least he realizes Nina Purpleton sucks.

Anyway, latest popularity polls put Cima above Kou, so I like her odds if there's more 0083.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

As if I needed more reasons to love Kai

T's gonna be my first since actual purchase of a SRW game since OG2, so I'm super stoked/crossing my fingers.

Well, Kai has to compete with Kai Shiden for "the guy you think of when you hear the name Kai" in a Super Robot Wars context.

You really need to bring your A game if that's the goal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect Cowboy will be some variation on the "make extra money from kills" skill

We can't rule out the possibility it lets the Stingray ride Fuunsaiki.

I mean, it's more likely than the Bebop crew earning a profit from a job.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I never watched Macross Delta, but I hope they didn't explain or go into detail as to the fate of Megaroad 1 other than "they went to the center of the galaxy" ; that thing is one of those cool mysteries best left untouched.

They didn't, but they kept hinting that they were planning to.

Which is more obnoxious in some ways. Leaving mysteries untouched is neat and makes the setting feel bigger, but pretending like you're going to give an answer and then... not doing that makes the mystery feel artificial.

(Of course, in a Super Robot Wars context, the center of the galaxy is likely full of Space Monsters if it hasn't been blown up by a bomb combining Jupiter and Australia, so if someone went there and didn't come back... there are some pretty reasonable guesses available.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

You just made me imagine all the teen pilots trying to attend an actual high school. Which is just FMP, to be fair, but still it's weird to imagine Arado and Seolla acting like real people.

It also happens in Gundam Wing. Heero still doesn't act like a normal person. But then again, no-one in Wing does.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I became a gundam fan recently, right after the first Build Fighters ended (2013 I think?) As a way to participate in forum discussion, I watched every piece of gundam show I could find. G Gundam is the only series I had to force myself to keep watching, and I marathoned all of Seed and Seed Destiny. I may have to go back and give it a second chance because I loved the design of the Devil Gundam.

G Gundam's probably the most different Gundam show, aside from the SD and Build stuff, which might explain some of the difficulty.

It's not a war story, or even a mob war story. It's a martial arts romance, complete with long lost relatives, treacherous mentors, and rivalries that can only be settled with honorable combat.

It also has a lot of fight-of-the-week episodes, which might be another factor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KoB posted:

Didnt V also note that the F91/XBone people noticed that while their suits should be leagues ahead of Z/ZZ, theyre not? Like tech was different in this universe?

Yep.

That was, as it turned out, Kaname Chidori's fault. Full Metal Panic's whispered deal was in play in that universe, and Black Technology meant that mech technology advanced much faster.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Vorlent and Granteed are indeed hilariously broken, especially the Vorlent once Orgone Cloud gets running. Granteed is essentially an instant delete button in its own right, but it does take a little bit of a climb to get it running (which was perfectly adapted in Moon Dwellers).

But yes, J does indeed have a case of "lack of series cohesion" that hurts things in the long run. The game is set in the Cosmic Era timeline, yet the G Gundam cast with their nuclear reactor-powered Gundams function just fine. Speaking of which, G Gundam is the one entry that really stands out as not belonging in this world, as many of the characters are introduced as "X from Neo-[Country of Origin]", and the rest of the cast barely blink at this news. Like, nobody raises the question of "Wait, what do you mean by 'Neo-Italy' or 'Neo-England'?" when Chapman and Michelo first appear. They all just shrug and go, "okay, time to fight the weird Gundam dudes". It comes off like G got crowbarred into the plot much later on in development and nobody went back to smooth things out and make things flow better.

I know I mentioned it last time it came up, but the funniest thing about G being in the game for me is that the genetically engineered superhumans whose presence inspired a war... are basically 98 pound weaklings in comparison to the regular human Gundam pilots.

Rain could probably break George Glenn in two with her bare hands.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Listen.

He's the Undefeated of the East. By definition his kung fu is the strongest.

Every single member of the cast instantly understands that this is what happens when your kung fu gets strong enough and know to no longer question it.

Objection!

He's only the Undefeated of the East. Until he's defeated the champions of North, South, West, and Center, and become SUPER ASIA, his kung fu is not proven to be the strongest, but can only be, at most, assumed to be so.

Otherwise, this logic is solid.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I was thinking about T today and I realized that not a single one of the series that first appeared in X are in the game. That seems like a weird move. Looking at what those series were it kind of makes since, but it just isn't something I'd expect from Banpresto, especially with all the G-Reco sprites they created.

Well, the fact G-Reco isn't terribly popular with the typical SRW audience is probably a factor. It was barely above AGE in the big Gundam poll last year. Once it doesn't have the new show bonus, it's difficult to justify bringing it back.

It's also an awkward fit for the world idea they're working with, which isn't a guaranteed no (Rayearth), but it does mean it needs a little more reason to be included than it would otherwise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

When I think Reconguista and Turn-A, I don't think "instant post-apocalyptic" but rather, "stuff happened and now we've rebuilt society more or less hosed than it was". There is mention in the Reguld century canon of a time when people were bred in vats just to be turned to food.

Yeah, I was going to say that if Reco and Turn A were post apoc, IBO would get a look-in too. That one's also got merciless scavenger protagonists, even if the overall setting is pretty well recovered.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I like how even in SD form, Mikazuki's giving mooks the worst death.

Interesting that everyone else was using their upgraded suit while Mika just had Barbatos form four.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

There's a decent number, I guess, but not a lot of actual variety. Wing has three Heavyarmses, for example.

The hilarious thing is that even if you do go into side stories, you're just gonna get more Heavyarms. I don't think any of these series has the equivalent of, like, a GM.

By GM, do you mean good guy grunt, or do you mean grunt with hundreds of variations?

Because the Io Frame Shiden only had four variations I know of, but it did serve basic GM narrative functions for its time on screen. Meanwhile, although it's mostly used by antagonists, there's a ton of Graze variations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Considering the got Devilman in DD, it makes sense for the designs to go full horny.

Needs more manservice for people who like that.

Well, they got Tekkadan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

There's a bunch that are super robot shows that have a bunch of real robot elements and vice versa. Don't think too hard about it. Whatever your gut says will normally get it.

Which, when you think about it, is a very super robot way to figure out the distinction.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Ideon is sidereal

The F-22 is Strangereal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechaX posted:

Couldn't like 5% of KOS-MOS blow up a sun or some poo poo

It's been over a decade since I've played through any of the Xenosaga games

Like that would stop a series where you can get the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and deploy it side-by-side with a Scopedog.

Hell, we were talking about Nono when she came up, and the Earth Imperial Space Force Sol System Direct Support Squadron, Sixth Generation Interstellar Cruise Weapon of Last Resort can kick apart black holes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I would play and become addicted to a game where I'm put in the shoes of a broken super robot, travelling around the world smashing entire armies and other robots.

Yeah, Zone of the Enders 2 is pretty good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hokuto posted:

Official SRW Twitter account has been posting screenshots this past week.

https://twitter.com/srw_game/status/1099942072965128194

I love the two replies to this one in Japanese just going "Vaaaan! (*´Д`*)"

Which Van?

Van the Unemployed?

Van the Freeloader?

Van that Weird Guy who Helped Out?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kchama posted:

I will fight people to death defending Wufei in SRW nearly as hard as I will fight people to death about Ibis.

I'm up for it.

Gundam Wing teaches that someone promising to kill you is the best way to guarantee your own survival.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Okay, I'm convinced. Got a copy coming in the mail now.

I'm glad that Van gets all the expressions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Merilan posted:

I think my favorite factoid keylink you can hit Square and look up in these games is when Sumeragi dramatically says 'that time I was a drunk' and it's all underlined and hyperlinked

poor sumeragi

Poor Sumeragi? At least she doesn't remember most of it.

Bright had to deal with all of his poo poo stone cold sober.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If I have one big complaint about T it is that Exiled From Paradise adds almost nothing to the game and I don't think you would have lost much by not including it.

At minimum, it adds a newer mech anime, meaning all the new adds aren't classics or based on old shows.

Genuine fresh blood is nice, and having something compact means it doesn't throw off the rest of the game too much.

Also, Frontier Settler is indeed a good robot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kchama posted:

I'm not super familiar but I assume it came up/happened in the Arcadia of the Youth movie that SSX is a sequel to. I'm not super familiar because wow, Arcadia of my Youth SSX is such a bad show.

Care to go into more detail? I was kind of considering checking it out to round out my awareness of the shows in T, and it would be nice to know the kind of bullet I'd be dodging by skipping it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Kind of wish we'd gotten Rebuild of Eva in this instead of Mightgaine. Never been a big fan of it but in this game it seems particularly out of place and only there to pal along with GGG while offering nothing of its own. At least with Eva it has obvious ties into the overall theme/plot for the whole thing. Then again I'd have gladly given up Mightgaine, Votoms, and Rayearth/Aura Battler Dunbine easily to get Rebuild of Evangelion, FMP!, and Cross Ange in. Cross Ange at least would thematically fit better even if it would also be a third-time-in-a-row series. I also kind of enjoy Ange as the little rage golem she is and the cast probably would have been fun to have interacting with the original cast and some others as well. Hell, Gundam 00 returning would have been a good fit for things too. Despite how solid a fit IBO might have been it's easy to see why they left it out, even if I'd have loved to have Barbatos Lupus ripping and tearing along with Getter and Gunbuster. Mika compared against the Rayearth crew, original characters, and Gunbuster crew in particular would have been hilarious.

I'm sure Mika and the Gunbuster crew would get along great.

Noriko works out all the time, Mika works out all the time. Noriko is worried about proving herself to Kazumi, Mika will do whatever Orga says. Noriko lost her dad, Mika's an orphan. Noriko gets into a non-functional panic? Well, Mika's great at snapping people out of those!

He's even all about hard work and guts.

(It's just the guts are spread all over the enemy mobile suit cockpits.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Getting Mika, Heero, Setsuna, and Souske together can't happen soon enough. Add in Rei, Van, and PoD Akito for even more awkward dotdotdot sessions.

Can you imagine the cast of pretty much any SRW reacting to the honor duel on the train tracks and Mika's handling of it? Pretty much just Ryoma cheering him on while everyone else is varying degrees of horrified to straight up puking. Maybe I just like the idea of some Gunbuster/Eva/Daitarn size super robot trying to stop him by putting a hand in front of the Barbatos and having that hand lose all its fingers before he runs off like the little feral murder monster he is. The Cross Ange crew post-rebellion would probably get right along with the Tekkadan bunch, thinking about it. Both are a bunch of "gently caress the world we'll burn it down rather than suffer its indignities anymore" sorts that are/were mercs populated mostly with teens that have suffered since birth just due to being born. That and I want to be able to smash Embryo's head in with a huge loving spiked mace at least once. Embryo is pretty much the peak of villains it's just plain fun to beat the poo poo out of over and over, especially with how many lines were dedicated in V and X to letting every single female character on your side in the game dunk all over him while it's happening.

The Cross Ange crew meeting Tekkadan would also mean pairing an almost all girl group of horny teens with an almost all guy group of horny teens. That's pretty much an 80s teen comedy, only here the heroes doing incredibly illegal and morally questionable things would actually be on purpose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kchama posted:

I actually think that's unfair to Ryoma. He hates the poo poo out of Hayato for good reason but isn't particularly murderous otherwise. He even has a lot of lines in SRW to the tune of "No pilot? No mercy!"

ANGE, on the other hand, would have no problem.

EDIT: Though honestly I don't see that scene getting to happen. The others would definitely stop Mika.

Also I'd want Carta recruitable anyways since she's one of the few people I actually liked in IBO.

The others would probably stop him on the secret route where Biscuit lives.

On the regular route? God himself would have to intervene. Nothing else would stop the Devil's own.

It's a horrific scene, sure, but it's also one of the most iconic moments for the show, one that explains Who Tekkadan Is. Removing it because it feels morally sketchy is ignoring that, in IBO, the moral ambiguity is one of the main points.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

super-redguy posted:

Didn't Domon have an on-foot moment in 64 as well?

Domon, Master Asia, and Allenby all had on foot combat sprites in Shin. But Master Asia was an alien there, so it's kinda less impressive.

One of the most fun things about Mellowlink in comparison to the others in a SRW context, though, is that he's just... this guy. No superpowers, no kung fu, no cyborg parts. He gets by with planning, good aim, hard work, and guts. It's the same reason Chirico's pistol is so funny. Something that makes sense in the root anime being exaggerated into absurdity.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Like other people in this thread, I'd like to see Gridman, but it would take a tiny bit of finagling to fit in right, considering the twists there.

Of course, it'd be a good match if they insisted on putting Gundam Build Divers in a SRW for some obscene reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kchama posted:

I'd be up for SEED/G-Reco/IBO for sheer lunacy.

And then add in Victory Gundam and Gaia Gear.

I've said it before, but Kira and the Tekkadan crew would have some really interesting dynamics. The obvious surface one is that Kira goes for disabling shot where Mika is all about brutal murder, but it's much more interesting how different their backgrounds are.

Kira was born with a deck stacked ridiculously in his favor. Rich neutral colony, blood ties to national leadership, genetically engineered to succeed at everything. He didn't even lose either of his adopted parents, as far as I can tell. His abilities even derive from that. Because his dad spent a ton of money on him, he's gifted.. Kira's an ace mech pilot because he's great at everything.

Meanwhile, Tekkadan is a bunch of hardscrabble orphans whose main edge is that they'll do whatever it takes to win. Balls out plans, horrifying surgery, ruthless action, you name it, they'll do it. Mikazuki's an ace mech pilot because there's nothing else he can be.

It sets up some inherent conflict, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kchama posted:

To be fair, and this actually plays into the dynamic, but Mikazuki's piloting skills are derived from his... whatever they're called that were implanted in him. He got a lot so he has the super best connection and that makes him the best pilot. So they both have great abilities implanted in them without their consent, more or less. Mika'a is melee focused and Kira is range focused.

Except Mikazuki volunteered.

One whisker, like everyone else in Tekkadan, was pretty much necessary to get a job at all, but the other two were his choice in pursuit of being Orga's weapon, whether or not Orga wanted it. He took a sixty four percent chance of being crippled for life, because it offered better chances.

There's a big deal made about how being a Coordinator or not is set at birth, but anyone in Tekkadan could have Mika's augs if they were just willing to bet their lives on a painful coin flip a couple more times.

It's not innate advantage, although Mika's shown to be a talented pilot. It was just more stomach for desperate risk.