Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Relax Or DIE posted:

I've never played a SRW game, but I want to - I also don't have enough attachment to any mecha anime to choose based on that, so my question is: which (translated) entry is the most bad rear end?

I was basically in the same situation and I had a good time starting with V. Though if you want to play an English SRW, X would probably be just as good a starting point.

Just take a look at the original protagonists and their mechs for both games and go with whichever seems cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it like common Mecha knowledge that Japan dislikes GGG or something? Because I can’t see that in the article.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm also making my way through Moon Dwellers with only like 1 other games worth of SRW experience under my belt and what i've learnt is if there's an SR point that looks really annoying or overly difficult it's best to just ignore it completely. Sure you can spend an extra 5 turns bringing bosses as close to the retreat point as possible switching out twins and manoeuvring Support Attacks to maximise damage while save scumming a 50% chance to hit because you're out of SP and somehow forgot to bring anyone with Inspire, but it never feels completely worth it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like twins because it means double the units get Accelerate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I had read half an lp of OGs and watched Hokuto's 2ndOG stream by the time I started MD so I basically understood absolutely everything. Just a whole lot of robots and alien robots and at least 3 other dimensions, yep I definitely understood all of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Here's part 1.5 of the OG story guide, in which I exposit about characters and factions in the post-OG1, pre-OG2 space. I'm going to have to do way more namedropping in OG2 so it's important to have some baseline familiarity going in, I think.

Only 1 game in and man there's a lot of characters.

Thanks for the writeup, especially for some of the non playable characters. It's good to get a bunch of background for characters I only really remember as indistinct talking heads.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for the writeups Hokuto. I think I might even know what an Einst is now!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Salaryman is an interesting aesthetic for the originals.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clearly your robots are getting hacked to make them stronger.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Still very early in the game but making the OGs just Office Workers doing their 9 to 5 was an inspired decision. They make a very good first impression.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I picked Sagiri and she just wants that cash. Which is a very relatable way to approach work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Tyranado is cool because it has a tie.

Bad name though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now that they’re making Switch games they should put in Kirby.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

I wish units got Friends/Lovers/Rivals cross-series more often. I think Kamina and Lelouch had a rival bonus in Z2?

I had no idea they'd ever done that before. I always thought it was a missed opportunity. Same with cross series combo attacks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wasn’t that guy like a random college dropout? At least Mr Zone is like a vaguely accomplished loser.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If we're talking about suspension of disbelief SRW rams it's face against this constantly every game, at about every second, with sometimes only the loosest of justifications for how all these series with wildly different power scales can co-exist.

Spike just has a jet and he's one of the best units in T. The only explanation for this is "The jet was made in the Golden Age, it's a really good jet". Most SRW games will run into things like this because the games aren't really concerned with managing a power scale between completely different series and types of shows. How many robots just gain space functionality in these games regardless of whether it makes sense with the tech they use?

I guess can imagine this being an issue to some people and breaking immersion or whatever, but I feel its weird to single out only a few series for it rather than it being something that's tied to the whole concept of Super Robot Wars.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Arhan's strongest attack is really good though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rudi is cool and has a good name. I will enjoy having her as a secret unit in the 6th Super Robot Wars OGs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I honestly find OGs a little easier to get into because I haven't really watched a whole lot of mecha anime, and it's a lot easier to read a summary of like the last 2 OGs games than it is to read up on every series in any given SRW game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh yeah, from the ones i've played i've definitely enjoyed the mainline games over the OG games (though I haven't really played any of the best received OG games).

I just think there's like less barrier to entry or whatever for OGs, if only because I feel there's a whole lot more moving parts with the main games just by virtue of there being way more things crossing over. At least from my perspective.

Edit: Like every SRW game has the UC Gundams and I still don't think I really understand a single thing about that universe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Caphi posted:

You don't need to know every single series to enjoy the plot of an SRW. I've never seen Cross Ange or Rayearth and they're some of my favorite characters in the games they're in. Z got me to watch Dai-Guard and now it's one of my favorite mecha anime ever.

OG, on the other hand, is very much a continuity tangle, and it's only getting more tangled as the series gets more visibly apathetic about fitting new entries into the established universe but still insists they were around the whole time, honest. And unlike, say, SEED in Alpha 3 or FMP in Z2.2, they will never go away.

e: like how many different franchises do you have to have followed to understand who Axel Almer is and what exactly he's doing here, that is not the case for Maito Senpuji even when he's been in three consecutive games and one is technically post-plot

Sure, Axel is probably a more complicated character than most Super Robot show protagonists and OGs is likely more of a mess plot wise than the anime that show up in the main game but like playing Moon Dwellers I don't think there's really any stage where he's a force deploy and you fight an antagonist Impact who is back for revenge or something. While in T while Might Gaine is post-series there's still stages where like Black Noir shows up or Joe is there and there's a lot of different minor characters who might appear as enemies or bosses. And while you know they're pretty simple characters and you don't need full context to understand their deal they're more relevant to what's going on.

Like I don't mean to say OGs is better or even more coherent but I feel there's a lot more going on in your average Super Robot Wars title. A lot more characters and stories matter even if only for a little bit and while OGs has as big a cast and more characters with protagonist level backstory and history, most don't really seem to matter a whole lot. The mainline games feel to me like they've got way more crossover elements and there's more characters doing important things compared to the OG games. At least having most recently come off Moon Dwellers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Don't they just reuse voice lines for people they can't recast? I thought I heard that's what they do with Judau at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

1 - Zone of the Enders would be cool, it would fit with a lot of mars/jupiter focused mecha series like nadesico, ironblooded orphans, AGE, etc, has cool mech designs and good music, and even the anime spinoffs that nobody watched have some okay ideas. Sadly Konami would never play ball.

2 - Darling in the Franxx. Really striking mech designs and some great characters but completely falls off a cliff when it tries to actually have a plot and its resolution has no idea what its trying to say, but both of those things could be fixed by integration with other series and a redo of the ending to allow for a SRW finale.

Granblue somehow got a ZotE crossover so I guess it’s not totally impossible. Maybe only for X-Omega though.

Anyway they should put Kirby in SRW. Kirby has a mech and a battleship and terrible abominations from deep space. So I think it could fit in well. On the other hand it has absolutely no chance of getting in.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

While the Touhous are girls that use magic I don't think they are really Magical Girls.

Other than Flandre of course

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That sounds ok imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also, Seed has better music than UC.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mostly watch animations when I want to change the music tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I only really started playing SRW games with this advent of official translations and V and T both came off as really strong emtries. I kinda bounced off X. It didn't grab me early and reception of it just seemed to settle it as good but not great, though the fact I went into it right after stalling out on MD might have contributed to me being tired of the game.

I think Banpresto's done a pretty solid job with this trilogy of international games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd probably like T more than V if I played it first but as it is I was already tired of some of the series by the end of V and then oh no more gundams.

Definitely a stronger original cast though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Or SRW itself outside of smartphone games.

But I guess we've been through this before.

It hasn’t even been a year since the last game?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I only started playing the games with the english translations so I don't know what the release times used to be but I feel like SRW games come out really frequently.

One game a year is pretty crazy imo. It's probably helped from reusing quite a few animations and such but drat that's still a pretty rapid schedule.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It used to be even more frequent than that, if you can believe it. In the 2000s, most years had two SRWs released.

That's actually crazy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I always do a save before a route split and play both and secrets aside, Cross Ange stuff was usually more interesting than Unicorn.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

counterpoint, use closeau and melissa because they're cool, unlike amuro or koji

Look, you can't expect me to abandon Mazinger Zero. It's a really cool robot!!

I did use Closseau when playing through V though. He was actually really solid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Embryo is a goddamn creep and every scene he’s in is uncomfortable, but the game understands why he loving sucks and the scenes of everyone dunking on him are very good.

The creepiest stuff in V was Marida calling people master, because unlike anything with Embryo the game never seemed to realise how weird and gross that was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Weren't most of the OG games only released in Japan anyway?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s cool when stories have an ending imo.

Not that Alpha 3 needs to be that ending or anything but but the current OG story reaching like an actual conclusion seems to me like something that should eventually happen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That reminds me that the last game to do anything with Daitarn 3 was...Alpha 2 I think. And then Z3 teased doing it and did it offscreen instead! :argh:

It kind of plays a role in V!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know it's not exactly irrelevant or anything but it's kinda weird to single out the SRW thread of all things to jump into and explain how some games that haven't even been announced yet will probably be delayed.

Like yeah, obviously the coronavirus is having a huge impact on Japan and i'm glad there seems to be something of a sense of prioritising safety over work, but like its affect on SRW production is rather insignificant on the grand scale of things the pandemic will hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why would they bother unless they really wanted to destroy a video game?

I mean, it's a fairly harmless homage.