Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a bunch of bacon fat from making bacon for my one kid who only eats bacon and Graham's Crackers.

am I right in presuming I can peel, dice, boil some potatoes and then roast them in a Dutch oven (where the bacon fat is residing) at 400F and they'll get crispy and tasty?

I'm tired of tossing bacon fat.

the answer is yes you can do exactly that.

I moved it higher in the oven for the last ten minutes and turned on the high broil setting to crisp it up.

heck yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I have a bunch of bacon fat from making bacon for my one kid who only eats bacon and Graham's Crackers.

am I right in presuming I can peel, dice, boil some potatoes and then roast them in a Dutch oven (where the bacon fat is residing) at 400F and they'll get crispy and tasty?

I'm tired of tossing bacon fat.

children need a varied diet of protein, vegetables, fruit, grains :science:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my brother bought a legit pro tier fryer and he's gonna bring it over.

what should we fry?

I'm already gonna do the chicken nuggets I typically oven bake for my kids just to see how much better they are fried. will do the same with the frozen French fries I buy.

the other thing I want to do is make a legit bloomin onion

but let's get stupid. what is fun to fry?

snickers bars. put them on a kabob stick, freeze them, beer batter them, and fry them. serve with ice cream.

cheesecake. cut it up or roll it into bite size chunks/balls. freeze them, beer batter them, and fry them. serve with ice cream.

fish!

inject with or slice open and stuff with cheese some hot dogs, wrap them in bacon, and throw them in the fryer.

get a big ol' deli-size chunk of mozz cheese, like, if your local grocer lets you buy a whole commercial size thing, just buy one of those up and cut it into mozz sticks,v then do a standard egg wash and bread crumb batter and freeze them

you can do onion rings the exact same way as mozz sticks

if you want to make chips (american style, crisps i think the brits call them), slice them, let them soak in cool water overnight, rinse them, then fry them. the extra starchiness can impede the ability to crisp up when frying

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bedshaped posted:

children need a varied diet of protein, vegetables, fruit, grains :science:

yeah he's got a shitload of allergies like dairy eggs oats and rice so I'm doing what I can. thanks though.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

bananas, motherfuckin bananas in the fryer. hit 'em with some cinnamon and sugar and drop them in there

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

bananas, motherfuckin bananas in the fryer. hit 'em with some cinnamon and sugar and drop them in there

oh yeah bananas give him rashes. same with eggs.

it was a real shame too because before we figured that one out he was happy to eat bananas all day.

turns out they make his skin creases bleed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

refried beans will eat up any excess drippings you have

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i typed a long drawn out post about the magic of making this last night, but decided it was too much. then i changed my mind today and wanted to share.

skin a chicken with your hands, by gently getting your fingers between the meat and the skin and peeling it. the goal is to get the entire skin off in one piece without any tears. iirc there's usually holes for the legs that you can't avoid sometimes, but you need a sheet of chicken basically.

next, skinless boneless chicken breast mousse. ratio is one pound of chicken, one cup of cream, uhh...half a teaspoon of salt. puree it until smooth af and put in a bagpipe. that's what i call a piping bag(not really)

get some boneless skinless chicken breasts, and cut them in half

lay your chicken skin down on a bed of plastic wrap and gently pipe half of your chicken mousse across it you can probably just use a spoon come to thing of it, gently caress it, right? or just clip the corner off a ziplock bag, that works

put the pieces of chicken on top of the mousse and sprinkle with kosher salt, and pipe the rest of the mousse on top

gently roll that motherfucker up, and once you've got the chicken skin wrapped around the breast and the mousse, roll it up into the plastic wrap like it's a burrito. a pure chicken burrito. what has science loving done? i'll loving tell you.

wrap that beauty in 3 more layers of plastic wrap, and put in a sous vide bath at 165 for like 2 or 2.5 hours or something. can't overcook it a sous vide, and you don't want it undercooked. take it out, let it rest for 15 minutes before take it out of the plastic wrap.

pat it dry.

oh. you thought you were done?

no, put it in the deep fryer now.

gently lower your magnificent creation into the oil, with maybe some tongs, and kinda swirl it for 30 seconds in the oil before letting it go down into the basket. be sure it agitate it gently to prevent the chicken skin from sticking to the basket.

since it's completely cooked on the inside, all you have to do now is wait for it to turn a beautiful golden brown.

when it's golden and brown and delicious to your liking, it out and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.

hell yeah. you loving did it. slice that fucker with your sharpest knife. put it on a plate and pour some gravy over it. you'll have plenty of time to make stock from the carcass and some gravy while the chicken log is sous viding.

that's what i would do with the deep fryer, at least. this ended up being longer than i meant it to be, but i guess there's a lot of steps and i try to not skip any important details to not make a mess of things. i hope you enjoyed my :words:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good god

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

always be grilling

:hmmyes:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

no...no gods..

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I love making wings but I don't like how I have to see the craving coming 8-12 hours in advance to make them right.

tomorrow, though, I'm gonna demolish these bad boys with a stupid sandwich on the side.

I've also tracked down a copycat Outback Steakhouse bloomin onion sauce so we are in the clear to make some fried apps in that fryer. probably doing that next week if it clears up outside.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

it's just such a stupid amount of cheese

e: cheez snipe

wow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I cut it into single pound blocks after I verified that no charges were on my bank statements for five pounds of cheese I definitely didn't ask for.

yesterday morning an entire food order got delivered to my neighbors side yard (watched this happen) and nobody on my block knows whose it is.

I took it into my house and donated it to the food bank this afternoon.

my house is turning into a weird fantasy novel where stuff just shows up with the wind.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Chronicles posted:

clean your stove!

This gives it flavor

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
plop the chicken mousse directly into the frier, make chicken funnel cakes

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my brother bought a legit pro tier fryer and he's gonna bring it over.

what should we fry?

I'm already gonna do the chicken nuggets I typically oven bake for my kids just to see how much better they are fried. will do the same with the frozen French fries I buy.

the other thing I want to do is make a legit bloomin onion

but let's get stupid. what is fun to fry?

Plantains

Twinkies

Bacon wrapped jalapenos with some kind of cream cheese filling

Beer battered fish and onion rings

Always use canola oil, it's worth the extra few bucks. If you fry any seafood, do it last.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

it's just such a stupid amount of cheese

e: cheez snipe

That's a lot of any cheese, and a WHOLE LOT of a stinkard like aged brick.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i miss cheese so much. about the only one I can eat is Parma. even just downing pills way in excesses of recommended dosage.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I made chocolate cinnamon bread for breakfast, fast and tasty. Pretty sure I put enough chocolate in it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the fryer has arrived. it's a 5L Cuisinart and I am ready to devote an entire day to fried foods.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's cold and miserable, time to take the quarantine rack of shortribs from the freezer and make a stew

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

the fryer has arrived. it's a 5L Cuisinart and I am ready to devote an entire day to fried foods.

Yes ha ha ha yes.. maillard reaction on every surface, indentation and crevice :twisted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just finished my 2nd bagel batch and I feel like I greatly improved. Went with just salt and chedder for flavors.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

made pizza last night

pep n cheese

“margherita” pizza

white base (honey, olive oil, and balsamic glaze) w/ mozz, goat cheese, olives, and mushrooms. i top mine with some arugula. its some good bougie pizza.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
drat tasty looking pizza

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

made some stress biscuits hell yeah

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also today I figured out you can cook an egg or scramble in an oversized muffin pan and it makes them perfectly biscuit sized.

Cooked them in a little melted butter at 425F and finished them with a broil to toast the top of the egg.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice bunz :grin:

what recipe did you use

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I honestly forget where I got it but it's a basic milk/butter/flour/sugar/salt/baking powder recipe.

aside from quality ingredients, the three things that make a good biscuit are:

1) frozen, grated unsalted butter

2) rolling the dough out and folding it on top of itself four or five times (rotating 90 degrees each time you fold it)

3) flour your biscuit cutter and DONT twist when you push it down

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

drat if I had American cheese this would be almost identical to a Jack In The Box breakfast sandwich

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i have a big bag of black beans

how do i make black beans the way cubans make black beans

i loving love black beans and rice

what kind of rice is best for cuban cooking? i usually use jasmine because it's cheap and quick to cook but it doesn't have the same feel as when my neighbor brings us home made cuban food

i'd ask her but my spanish is worse than her english. we mostly speak in the international language of holding a big plate of food out when the other comes to the door.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

i have a big bag of black beans

how do i make black beans the way cubans make black beans

i loving love black beans and rice

what kind of rice is best for cuban cooking? i usually use jasmine because it's cheap and quick to cook but it doesn't have the same feel as when my neighbor brings us home made cuban food

i'd ask her but my spanish is worse than her english. we mostly speak in the international language of holding a big plate of food out when the other comes to the door.

I dice up onion/garlic/maybe a jalapeño if I have one, hit it with a bit of salt and sauté , hit it with cumin and fry a bit more. separately strain the beans and lightly rinse, saving whatever bean juice I can. add strained beans and some more salt to the veggies, cook for like a minute, then add bean juices and reduce down to the desired consistency

no idea on making moros though, shits magical and never tastes the same outside miami

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

I dice up onion/garlic/maybe a jalapeño if I have one, hit it with a bit of salt and sauté , hit it with cumin and fry a bit more. separately strain the beans and lightly rinse, saving whatever bean juice I can. add strained beans and some more salt to the veggies, cook for like a minute, then add bean juices and reduce down to the desired consistency

no idea on making moros though, shits magical and never tastes the same outside miami

I think his beans are dry

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah they're dry beans

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah they're dry beans

🤦‍♂️ never mind then, I usually make them as a v spur of them moment thing. I’ve got this recipe saved from someone in gws, but I haven’t made it in a bit:

* 1 14-oz package dried black beans
* 2 quarts water
* 1/8 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. ground oregano
* 2 tsp. ground cumin
* 1 green pepper, cleaned and cut into quarters (I've used yellow, orange, etc. bell peppers, they're fine too)
* 1/2 onion, finely chopped
* 2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
* 1/4 cup pure Spanish olive oil
* 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup dry white Sherry wine
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin (yes, again)
* 6 cups cooked white rice

Directions
Rinse beans and discard any stones and debris. In a large pot, soak beans overnight in water with baking soda, oregano, cumin (ed. note: the first 2 tsp. amount) and green pepper.

The next day cook beans in the same water on medium-low heat for about 3 hours or until the beans are very tender and liquid is reduced, and somewhat thickened. Make sure liquid in pot does not entirely boil away. To prevent beans from burning, add more water when necessary.

In a small pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent and begins to brown. Add several large spoonfuls of the black beans to this mixture and stir, simmering several minutes. Return this mixture of onions and black beans to the large pot of beans. Mix well and add vinegar, wine, salt and remaining cumin. Cook another 20 minutes. Serve over white rice on individual plates or in individual side bowls.

Serves 6.

I think I usually add more than the 1 tsp of salt, but do so to taste of course. I also add plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Otherwise, I pretty well follow it to a T. Hope you goons try it and enjoy it!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I've been following the Youtube channel Chinese Cooking Demystified

If you have access to a good pan-asian market I highly recommend their channel

it's extremely good food that is easy to make and if you go to an asian market is actually pretty cheap

I've started doing a lot of my normal grocery shopping at my local asian market because the prices on produce are so much better than the local grocery store

today I had just steamed white rice with green onions and some chopped up dace and then a pork bao and goddamn it was good poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fry Day is upon us. Blanching some fresh cut potatoes now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gently caress bloomin onions are harder to recreate at home than previously thought. this is gonna take a few more tries.

I gotta say, peeling and slicing lame rear end regular potatoes and frying them into legit good as hell French fries is the most satisfying thing I've done in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

how do noodle shops typically prepare their sliced meat cuts for things like ramen or pho?

on a whim I just thin-sliced a rare tritip I had in my fridge from last night and I tossed the slices into the broth after I got it into the bowl.

it worked surprisingly well but now I want to try it again with a super rare steak with a nice sear on it. the hot broth is plenty to cook it up past that.