Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can't wait to see what the next obvious in hindsight revelation is going to be for my cooking journey

you can drink the cooking sherry and cook with the drinking sherry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

The Voice of Labor posted:

you can drink the cooking sherry

This is violence

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

you can drink the cooking sherry and cook with the drinking sherry

ah, the julia child method

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

This is violence

i think i'd stick with the fourloko i have right now than switch to cooking sherry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hey guys just noticed that there's an entire forum for cooking. wtf? check it out sometime! https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=161 :eyepop:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
just get a bread machine imo. got one 27 dolalrs off ebay thing thing powns

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i say swears online posted:

whole fish rule. there's a jamaican place next to me that does a whole red snapper and it's so good

When I lived in florida when me and my brother had a good day on the boat one of the asian places we sold to would do some pretty showy meals with a medium sized Mutton where they'd cook it whole. Good stuff.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lord of Pie posted:

ah, the julia child method

she was cia though

Smythe posted:

hey guys just noticed that there's an entire forum for cooking. wtf? check it out sometime! https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=161 :eyepop:

so is this narc

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Smythe posted:

Thanks Ralph but cspam isn't a d&d sub any more. We don't have to play by your balkanization rul-oh hey Smythe sorry didn't realize that was you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Secret Aardvark is good stuff on lentils and rice, surprising amount of tingle for how low down the list of ingredients habaneros are, what else should I use it on. Next round of regional sauces will be that Bobbie's Boat Sauce

the selection locally is severely lacking and getting worse by the day, it's baffling, I should set up a kiosk just selling the stuff

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

drat now I need a new fish sauce in my pantry? OK FINE ILL DO IT

You can just use east asian fish sauce, that just makes it San-Fran style garlic noodles instead of colatura. It's basically the same dish.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

When I lived in florida when me and my brother had a good day on the boat one of the asian places we sold to would do some pretty showy meals with a medium sized Mutton where they'd cook it whole. Good stuff.

whole bbq goat (cabrito) looks really cool in northeast mexico but i'm not much of a goat meat person so never tried it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Secret Aardvark is good stuff on lentils and rice, surprising amount of tingle for how low down the list of ingredients habaneros are, what else should I use it on. Next round of regional sauces will be that Bobbie's Boat Sauce

the selection locally is severely lacking and getting worse by the day, it's baffling, I should set up a kiosk just selling the stuff

it's excellent on eggs

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i say swears online posted:

whole bbq goat (cabrito) looks really cool in northeast mexico but i'm not much of a goat meat person so never tried it

goats good but has the same gaminess sheep does but moreso. it tastes a bit like how clean goat fur smells. thats kind of the dealbreaker for most people. my extended family growing up were texas hill country folk so I probably ate more of it than is normal for an american. including a few mountain goats. honestly one of the few things i miss about america is the game and fish. lambs good but when's the next time i'm gonna get fresh jelly rolls?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Retromancer posted:

You can just use east asian fish sauce, that just makes it San-Fran style garlic noodles instead of colatura. It's basically the same dish.

I guess where I get tripped up is a recipe calling for multiple teaspoons of it when the bottle has an eye dropper in the lid.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I guess where I get tripped up is a recipe calling for multiple teaspoons of it when the bottle has an eye dropper in the lid.

I guess your fish sauce is more concentrated than what I use? Three crabs just has a soy sauce style top on it. I've made Kenji Lopez-Alt's garlic noodles with it before and it's great.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Depending on the maker of the colatura it can be concentrated into a dark syrup or more liquid like a fish sauce. Best just to start small and build up, though the recipes I've seen for it also say that despite it being precious, if you are going to use it for a dish then you should go all out and really let it shine so if it's a flavor you enjoy, definitely go for it.

I used about a tablespoon of the Agostino Recca bottle I got in some vodka sauce tonight and it definitely isn't overwhelming it. I probably could've used more.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

when's the next time i'm gonna get fresh jelly rolls?

stop by the texas d&d thread, it's like 20% arguing about kolaches

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have come into possession of a secret receipt. would anyone like to see it?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How secret

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Smythe posted:

i have come into possession of a secret receipt. would anyone like to see it?

:goatsecx:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think its funny that smythe thinks im going to take cooking advice from imperialists and liberals

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

THS posted:

i think its funny that smythe thinks im going to take cooking advice from imperialists and liberals

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Its very secret.

Not sure how to interpret this.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Smythe posted:

Not sure how to interpret this.

have you, perchance, thought of bringing your message of "there's a whole entire sub for that" over to the gun thread?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is it a receipt for a gun?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

smythe is confused by the concept of posting with your posting friends and gets mad lol. Sad! smythe whats your favorite fish sauce

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like Three Crabs better than Red Boat for fish sauce. I feel like a lot of the love for Red Boat is just PR done through mommybloggers. Big DH strikes again!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the brand in my fridge is Thai Kitchen so maybe I got the gringo packaging

it's not like it's thicker than soy sauce. if just has the tiniest little dribble hole in the top.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

angerbeet posted:

I like Three Crabs better than Red Boat for fish sauce. I feel like a lot of the love for Red Boat is just PR done through mommybloggers. Big DH strikes again!

fish purity. the ingredient list for red boat is two entries long: anchovies and sea salt

three crabs is anchovy extract (like, what the gently caress even is that), water, salt and fructose

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the brand in my fridge is Thai Kitchen so maybe I got the gringo packaging

it's not like it's thicker than soy sauce. if just has the tiniest little dribble hole in the top.

yeah that brand sucks for pretty much everything. it's got the tiniest dropper thing because it's made for people who are scared of flavor

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

have you, perchance, thought of bringing your message of "there's a whole entire sub for that" over to the gun thread?

youd have to be crazy or suicidal to troll the cspam gun thread lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THS posted:

smythe is confused by the concept of posting with your posting friends and gets mad lol. Sad! smythe whats your favorite fish sauce

dunno but im open to suggestions.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thinking of trying this red boat stuff tbh

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Smythe posted:

no kidding. a bunch of remfs fiercely protective of their handguns and tiny, trumphand like rifles

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

had to look this up but its pretty cool thanks

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

THS posted:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Smythe posted:

i do all my cooking on my machine gun barrel like ted cruz. it is a normal thing.to do. do NOT gently caress with me, the cooking gun cspam guy. i post in both threads

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

i... gently caress... me... gun... i post in both threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like to toss a handful of ammo into the grill when I'm cooking. Really livens things up and adds a nice amount of tasty tasty lead to everything