Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Great times call for great men

Make sure you get you cholesterol checked before you start cooking with bacon fat on the regular though. It's tasty but don't die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

So then what do I do with the excess? I don't think I'd use this much on the regular?
Or beef fat?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

they also serve who only
stand and wait

HootTheOwl posted:

So then what do I do with the excess? I don't think I'd use this much on the regular?
Or beef fat?

make bird feeders out of it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

WHY BE A FATCAT WHEN YOU CAN BE A SMOKERAT?

COOL ZONE HERO, ASK ME ABOUT MY LIVESTREAMS

HootTheOwl posted:

Or beef fat?

it lasts a long, long time in the fridge, you don't have to use it all up in a few days or anything. just put it in a container and use a spoonful of it when you want

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All things in moderation is all I'm saying. No one wants to end up like the fitness goon who ate all his meals cooked in excess bacon fat because it was "keto" and had a heart attack

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

medio de fonte leporum surgo amariter

otoh, use bacon fat instead of shortening in things. cut a third of the butter out of chocolate chip cookies and replace with bacon fat. it's incredible. also try with skillet cornbread, see this recipe with a unique twist on when to add it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

It's pretty awesome in pancakes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I use butter a lot, maybe I'll try some substations there.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Bacon fat is great for a sofrito, which can then be used in black beans over rice, or refried beans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I use butter a lot, maybe I'll try some substations there.

if you substitute 1:1 i think things can get too chewy, but i throw a tablespoon into tons of stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also y'all just suck it up and get a block of manteca for tostadas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I bought some dried bonito flakes (a bit for me and a bit for my cats) and mixed some in with my stir fry today

western cooking has so much to learn

it's like a free smoky salty flavor you can use like a goddamned condiment