Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

new question: what happens if I pound out some flayed chicken breasts and then soak them in pepperoncini brine before breading and deep frying them? is that a terrible idea?

brines aren't usually vinegar based. vinegar gives off some serious fumes when it's cooking, if you soak your meat long enough to pick up a vinegar flavor, there's a good chance sublimating it instantly by way of immersion into boiling oil might very well make your kitchen air kinda chokey and teary. vinegar might also prevent the egg and flour from forming an adhesive. otoh, it might be the best thing ever, but I'd do a real small test batch first to make sure the batter holds and I'd make sure the frydaddy is squarely under a functional hood or possibly outdoors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i would make some ethiopian black eyed pea stew. berberre is a must though, and i would probably increase it to 3 tsp but i love berberre and also i find most online recipes to be underspiced in general and usually increase them all by at least 50%. i forgot which recipe i used but something similar to this https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/black-eyed-peas-coconut-milk-and-ethiopian-spices

if you don't like black eyed peas (me) you can use peanuts and make groundnut stew as well

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/african_chicken_peanut_stew/

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
it’s good enough for a Bloody Mary, do it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Voice of Labor posted:

brines aren't usually vinegar based. vinegar gives off some serious fumes when it's cooking, if you soak your meat long enough to pick up a vinegar flavor, there's a good chance sublimating it instantly by way of immersion into boiling oil might very well make your kitchen air kinda chokey and teary. vinegar might also prevent the egg and flour from forming an adhesive. otoh, it might be the best thing ever, but I'd do a real small test batch first to make sure the batter holds and I'd make sure the frydaddy is squarely under a functional hood or possibly outdoors

i guess my dumbass question then is how is pepperoncini brine different than pickle brine?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i say swears online posted:

speaking of toaster ovens, this beast is on super-sale righ tnow, it's my big kitchen purchase of the year and i can shoehorn it in as a sorta-gift to my roommate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K0W8LTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a similar breville and it has completely replaced my usual oven unless I need the space. Heats up faster and more evenly

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i guess my dumbass question then is how is pepperoncini brine different than pickle brine?

one is going to be hotter. otherwise they’d basically be the same, salt, water, and vinegar.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's not so much composition as quantity, where on the spectrum of "a kiss of pickle" <-> "by golly, this chicken tastes just like a pepperoncini" are you looking to end up?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Doesn't Chick-fil-A brine their chicken in pickle juice? I feel like that's a thing

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i tried a cfa sandwich recipe i found online some time ago. it used thighs instead of breasts and a quick soak in pickle brine. i remember it turning out well.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a pickle brine would not actually have any vinegar in it, just salt

the acid would be lactic acid that develops as the vegetables ferment in the brine

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Dustcat posted:

a pickle brine would not actually have any vinegar in it, just salt

the acid would be lactic acid that develops as the vegetables ferment in the brine

yeah but most recipes that call for a pickle brine soak specifically mention draining a jar of already made pickles.

i dunno, maybe I'll do a 25/75 mix just for a kick.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

made some roasted potatoes and they Fuckin slayed me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got a springform pan. it's time to get fat

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
got a taiyaki pan for christmas, im gonna make so many fish waffles

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's for dinner? can a, can b, and can c heated under fire for 20 minutes

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Vvw3Cy_Rw

Industrial cooking is pretty fascinating to watch in action.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
The planning and stuff is interesting, but day to day industrial cooking is the most boring job I've ever had.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

spiral sliced ham for christmas, kimchee fried rice with julienned spiral slice ham for breakfast today

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh that's the best. ham leftovers are so much more fun to work with than turkey

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

i say swears online posted:

ugh that's the best. ham leftovers are so much more fun to work with than turkey

I've got some ham & beans in the slow cooker now and they smell so drat good.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Xaris posted:

i would make some ethiopian black eyed pea stew. berberre is a must though, and i would probably increase it to 3 tsp but i love berberre and also i find most online recipes to be underspiced in general and usually increase them all by at least 50%. i forgot which recipe i used but something similar to this https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/black-eyed-peas-coconut-milk-and-ethiopian-spices

following up: i did this recipe and increased the berbere to 1 tbsp and the tumeric to 1.5 tsp and holy poo poo, this is good

i was a little skittish about the habanero but definitely adds a pop the dish needs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Vvw3Cy_Rw

Industrial cooking is pretty fascinating to watch in action.

this was cool

I want to eat the five grilled meats

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Business Gorillas posted:

following up: i did this recipe and increased the berbere to 1 tbsp and the tumeric to 1.5 tsp and holy poo poo, this is good

i was a little skittish about the habanero but definitely adds a pop the dish needs

hell yeah. glad it worked out. gunna make it myself again i think, just gotta grab a 'hab. honestly habs without seeds are not really spicy at all, especially when its cooked down in a stew for awhile that they can go in pretty much anything without making it 'spicy'

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Tuna kimchi mac and cheese, delicious pantry meal

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I forget what thread it was in but someone clued me into these tonkotsu soup base packets on Amazon and they are goddamn amazing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

happy new year and tamales to all of you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip my contributions to this thread until i get abs

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

got a taiyaki pan for christmas, im gonna make so many fish waffles

:toot:
i dont have any red bean paste so i cant judge this definitively, but i've decided that jelly taiyaki are superior to chocolate taiyaki

this might change if I ever decide to buy actual nutella instead of just melting chocolate & butter in the microwave

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

:toot:
i dont have any red bean paste so i cant judge this definitively, but i've decided that jelly taiyaki are superior to chocolate taiyaki

this might change if I ever decide to buy actual nutella instead of just melting chocolate & butter in the microwave

Chocolate and butter sounds better than hazelnut flavored palm oil imho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

those fish waffles are the cutest things.

my brother got me two of the Takashi Murakami x Smart Magazine pancake pans with the flowers on them and while I did not ask for them and would not have bought them myself, I'm happy to make my kids pancakes on them.

these are the two I got:

https://stockx.com/takashi-murakami-x-smart-magazine-flower-pancake-maker

https://stockx.com/takashi-murakami-x-smart-magazine-pixel-flower-pancake-maker-teal

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Jan 1, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I attempted this recipe, my first ever breads
https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/286/Hard_Rolls7162.shtml

I wanted more of an italian hard roll sorta thing with really dense texture but these are super crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside. Still good. I'm happy I proved to myself even a slapdash cook can do a bread

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

made a Kentucky butter cake last night

it's interesting because you make a syrup with butter, white sugar, rum (or bourbon) and vanilla that you pour over it in the pan. when you turn it out it crystallizes into a crunchy shell around the booze-and-butter-soaked cake.

I did the trick where you turn the cake out while still hot, pour half the glaze into the pan, then put the cake back in. that way both sides of the cake get a nice soaking.

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Jan 15, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

made a Kentucky butter cake last night

it's interesting because you make a syrup with butter, white sugar, rum (or bourbon) and vanilla that you pour over it in the pan. when you turn it out it crystallizes into a crunchy shell around the booze-and-butter-soaked cake.

I did the trick where you turn the cake out while still hot, pour half the glaze into the pan, then put the cake bake in. that way both sides of the cake get a nice soaking.

My Grandma had a thing where she was making these for a while and they own so hard, looks good

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Schmeichy posted:

Tuna kimchi mac and cheese, delicious pantry meal

hell yeah to pantry meals

improv stir fry with leftover rice, frozen veggies, can of tuna, egg

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

defrosted the thanksgiving hambone and made ham split peas and lintels in the slow cooker. came out fine if a little bland

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

highly recommend doing red beans and rice with ham bones if you're not a split pea soup fan

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

was actually holding the sack of red beans in one hand and the split peas in the other, weighing the two, comparing use by dates, judging them

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

there are so many different things u can do with leftover ham and u choose to make pea soup

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Blaziken386 posted:

there are so many different things u can do with leftover ham and u choose to make pea soup

it's the best soup though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's not soup. soup's generally watery. this is split peas and lentils. it's more like a paste