Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Chard posted:

i know its not the accepted Truth, but i almost never use pine nuts in my pestos. walnuts work great for example

Sunflower seeds work equally well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ginger-soy marinaded steak tips, fried rice with leftover marinade, and pear+cuke pickle salad w/ toasted sesame seeds.

I don't cook meat much and hosed up the steak a lil but it was still very good.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

oh that pear and cuke salad looks great

lately we've been making smashed cucumber salad and it's so drat good, simple, cheap, and healthy, huzzah

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah that salad whips and reminded me I have cucumbers in the fridge so I made salads for my wife and I for lunch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Awwww poo poo when did CSPAM get a food thread

currently cleaning out the pandemic meals I put in the freezer

some shakshuka I made a year ago, along with a soft boiled egg and some toast buttered with duck fat

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Improvised a vegetable+shrimp soup that turned out a lot better than I was expecting. (Also turned out to yield a fair bit more soup than I was expecting.) (Onion, bell peppers/anaheim peppers/habaneros, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, shrimp and black-eyed peas in some chicken stock and half-and-half.) I'm a little grumpy because I wanted tail-off shrimp but it's so good I don't even mind.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I started a giant pot of pinto beans but its taking way longer to get creamy than the recipe suggested. So I audibled into some poached cod which came out divine

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been on a bit of a baking kick the last week and made some cinnamon rolls and berry granola muffins

I think I need to put my baked goods higher up in the oven maybe to get the muffins to brown? Regardless they are delicious.

With the cinnamon rolls I also made some cream cheese icing. And was able to freeze half the recipe for a few weekends from now :D

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I started a giant pot of pinto beans but its taking way longer to get creamy than the recipe suggested. So I audibled into some poached cod which came out divine

god I love capers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Been on a bit of a baking kick the last week and made some cinnamon rolls and berry granola muffins

I think I need to put my baked goods higher up in the oven maybe to get the muffins to brown? Regardless they are delicious.

With the cinnamon rolls I also made some cream cheese icing. And was able to freeze half the recipe for a few weekends from now :D

the cinnamon rolls look great!

middle of the oven is the usual spot but browning can be due to a few factors, a big one can be the pan material: dark coated metal pan, steel or aluminum, glass or silicone. some recipes are written for one type that specific may not even make it into the recipe notes. dark coatings tend to cause more browning

cake pans article but some of the same conclusions apply to other baked goods:

https://www.seriouseats.com/guide-to-best-cake-pans

and another article about a bunch of other pans and products

https://www.seriouseats.com/guide-to-essential-baking-tools

OBAMNA PHONE has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Jan 31, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BraveUlysses posted:

the cinnamon rolls look great!

middle of the oven is the usual spot but browning can be due to a few factors, a big one can be the pan material: dark coated metal pan, steel or aluminum, glass or silicone. some recipes are written for one type that specific may not even make it into the recipe notes. dark coatings tend to cause more browning

cake pans article but some of the same conclusions apply to other baked goods:

https://www.seriouseats.com/guide-to-best-cake-pans

and another article about a bunch of other pans and products

https://www.seriouseats.com/guide-to-essential-baking-tools

Interesting. I used a dark coated aluminum pan in the middle of the oven for the muffins so that makes sense. Usually i'd have muffin cups or something but mine smelled off so i threw them away. Been a while since I made muffins. Like 5+ years lol.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

god I love capers.

Hell yeah dude. They played so well in this one. Here's it plated.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

You should be proud of the spiral you got on those rolls. Great job!

I made a lemon pudding “cake” this weekend. Think a chocolate lava cake, but with lemon instead. It all got et before I could take a pic, which is okay because it wasn’t very photogenic. Delicious, tho.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
made some pan fried chicken

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

turnip and mustard greens I grew in my shed
ham onion mushrooms rice salt pepper butter

also featured,: back of a crystal hot sauce w garlic bottle which is the best hot sauce

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i am harry posted:

turnip and mustard greens I grew in my shed
ham onion mushrooms rice salt pepper butter

also featured,: back of a crystal hot sauce w garlic bottle which is the best hot sauce

:hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

made some pan fried chicken

very nice. did you brine it at all beforehand?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

very nice. did you brine it at all beforehand?

no actually. i did air-dry it in the fridge overnight then I split the breasts and pounded them thin with a heavy skillet.

the coating is just flour/egg/panko. turned out delicious.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I regretfully got some chicken from a restaurant near by on takeout and it was gross af and im wishing that I had your chicken

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I have a piece of paper angrily stuck to the fridge called “Chinese places that don’t do good crispy food” and on it I angrily write down the names of every local place that give us takeout in sealed plastic boxes that steam all the food as soon as the lid goes on

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that's a deep pizza pie

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that's a deep pizza pie

okay, how are you making your dough because when i make deep dish pizza it never rises up that high and that's what i'm looking for

maybe i just need more of it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the SeriousEats recipe claims it makes two pizzas but I disagree. i usually use like 3/4 if it for one pie and then the rest I make into a small pan of breadsticks for my son who can't have dairy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the SeriousEats recipe claims it makes two pizzas but I disagree. i usually use like 3/4 if it for one pie and then the rest I make into a small pan of breadsticks for my son who can't have dairy.

okay, yeah, then i just need more dough. thanks! looks incredible, btw.

that blackened deep dish crust is what i crave

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lasagna time.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i made jalapeno poppers, but instead of putting the cream cheese in the jalapeno, i put the jalapeno in the cream cheese, and then i rolled it up in chicken breasts pounded flat

it worked out pretty good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sesame soba with fish sausage

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rendang, which came out so good I can't stop eating it cold right from the refrigerator:

Shrimp fried rice, this was very good, I used some shaoxing wine and leftover lime leaves along with the usual sesame oil and soy sauce with black white and chili:

and then i wanted breakfast so I made muffins with leftover blueberries

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sesame soba with fish sausage

that fish sausage sounds delicious, what spices were used?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Waffle House posted:

Rendang, which came out so good I can't stop eating it cold right from the refrigerator:

recipe please

my local indonesian place was sold and the new owners took all the good stuff off the menu :(

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Waffle House posted:

that fish sausage sounds delicious, what spices were used?

This was just soy/rice vinegar/toasted sesame oil/miso/honey all mixed together to make the sauce. Then beni shoga and cilantro (because I have no scallions and needed something to lighten it up a bit... would've been better with the green onions but the flavors worked alright)
I used buckwheat soba so went with a relatively simple recipe to keep them and the fish flavor standing out

unless you were asking specifically about the sausage in which case I should clarify it's more of like a spam-adjacent fish type snack that I picked up at the local H Mart - I just read they're popular to also fry up and put in things.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

recipe please

my local indonesian place was sold and the new owners took all the good stuff off the menu :(

https://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/

This one ^^^^^

I bought flank with a bunch of silver still on it, did a lovely job of trimming, and it still came out so tender it isn't even funny. Don't even bother half and half'ing water and coconut milk IMO, just do 16oz/500ml coconut milk; you can ++ the spices easily, but be careful with pounding the lemongrass, it's fibrous; might be better blended into pulp. Tamarind and lime leaves do be slammin' tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hello

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

2tbsp oil, fridge rice, soy sauce sesame, spices, and I guess the shaoxing wine works really well, but then just like in the picture grill the fajita veggies first and then drop the fresh stuff like carrots and peas in after you scramble the egg.

rice comes after egg and veggies/meat so you get good browning and then pour the saucy stuff on top as you spoon it all together. I love fried rice, it keeps well for the week.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Aldi only had those lovely thin bagels left so I learned to make a breakfast sandwich.

2 eggs mixed in a cup.
1oz ham cubed.
Shred cheese on top of omelette that's squared to bagel size.
spread cream cheese on bagel
sprinkle something sweet on cream cheese like syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg
fry two of those frozen hash browns while you're there and grind some pepper on top!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that's a deep pizza pie

don't eat magma it's not good for you

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Happy Valentine's Day goons!

Top row is spam musubi flavor, bottom row is honey-lemon umeboshi.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Waffle House posted:

Happy Valentine's Day goons!

Top row is spam musubi flavor, bottom row is honey-lemon umeboshi.

these are adorable
did you use a mold or are these hand made

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

these are adorable
did you use a mold or are these hand made

They are hand made, you can make the normal triangle shapes and then beep the top a little bit to make an indentation for a heart!

A wooden press mold might not be difficult to carve though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

okay, how are you making your dough because when i make deep dish pizza it never rises up that high and that's what i'm looking for

maybe i just need more of it

actually if you just make the SE recipe at 150% proportions it's perfect for two deep pies so try that.