Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

AxGrap posted:

Nice, thanks all, I'll prob try get some of the water out of the soy sauce. Maybe I'll toast some sesame seeds and toss them in too. Love this sauce over linguini noodles with some toppings.

I find that dried stuff in sauces tend to work and last without getting weird. However fresh onion or garlic in salsa or any sort of sauce, they get weird after a short while. Onion powder/granules and garlic too, those are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I normally quick pickle stuff because I can’t get enough of vinegar but a friend of mine got into fermenting their veggies and it ruled so I had to give it a go

jalapeños, red onion, garlic and spices in one set of jars, cucumbers, red onion, garlic, habaneros, and spices in the other.

see y’all in four days at least!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

a ferment will take a lot longer than 4 days. you will have better luck with ceramic crocks than Mason jars. are you using followers there?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Red Baron posted:

I normally quick pickle stuff because I can’t get enough of vinegar but a friend of mine got into fermenting their veggies and it ruled so I had to give it a go

jalapeños, red onion, garlic and spices in one set of jars, cucumbers, red onion, garlic, habaneros, and spices in the other.

if you get into this, look for Korean fermenting vessels because they are absolutely the most enthusiastic fermentation fans. The "Crazy Korean" brand on Amazon has good stuff.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a ferment will take a lot longer than 4 days. you will have better luck with ceramic crocks than Mason jars. are you using followers there?

four days is when I was told to check them and make sure nothing seems off, make sure the flavor doesn’t seem bad.

not sure what a ceramic crock is (a dish I’m assuming, like the kind in the crockpot) but this is what I have for now. also not sure what a follower is, I’ll have to look that up.

e: oh followers are weights! no, that’s why there is water in bags on top of the jars, to keep the floaters down.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

emfive posted:

if you get into this, look for Korean fermenting vessels because they are absolutely the most enthusiastic fermentation fans. The "Crazy Korean" brand on Amazon has good stuff.

if this works I’m absolutely making my own kimchi

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Red Baron posted:

gently caress yes. Spicy green beans and spicy cauliflower is my fave.

Red Baron posted:

DO IT

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you want to make kimchi, before getting into serious kimchi you could also try making lightly fermented green cabbage kimchi. It's very easy/fast and its still pretty decent.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

I definitely think the first step to kimchi is to make sauerkraut and go from there.

good news is that they’re both delicious!

AxGrap posted:

gently caress yes. Spicy green beans and spicy cauliflower is my fave.

DO IT

:hmmyes:

spicy green beans and cauliflower sound awesome

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Red Baron posted:

not sure what a ceramic crock is (a dish I’m assuming, like the kind in the crockpot) but this is what I have for now. also not sure what a follower is, I’ll have to look that up.

these

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/canning/accessories-and-prep/6169072

I found my success rate in jars was about 50-50. crocks i haven’t had a bad ferment yet.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Red Baron posted:

Absolutely do this. Kimchi is way easier and more forgiving than nearly any other fermentation project imo and the juice is great to keep around as a lactofermentation starter

then get weird with it (my mother in law makes this every summer and it loving slaps)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the GWS canning thread has fermenting talk from time to time too.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I definitely have to agree that fermentation is not something that should be overthought. A 3% brine will ferment pretty much anything under mild, consistent temperatures. Just keep the solids submerged and allow some one way gas purging via a water lock or gasket. I use a bunch of gallon jars with the rubber clamp lids every year and they come out perfectly.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Red Baron posted:

Koreans have complete kimchi/fermented-stuff systems, fermentation and storage vessels that stack and pack into refrigerators specifically designed for the purpose.

Maangchi has at least a couple of kimchi videos. It's not hard but the ingredient list is bigger than you might think.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The problem with kimchi is that it stinks up your fridge. I want a separate fridge for it.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

then get weird with it (my mother in law makes this every summer and it loving slaps)

:yeeclaw:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Sounds gross, but all the watermelon we get have very chemical tasting rinds that are probably sprayed with all kinds of poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Finally bought a tofu press.

Worth every penny. Put a firm block in this morning, threw it in the fridge. At 3 i took it out, cubed it up into 2 meals worth - 1 for tonight 1 for tomorrow. Marinated them both. Made a stir fry and it was significantly better texture than when i've tried just hand pressing out as much water as I could. Tonight was gochugang tofu stir fry over rice. Having a thai peanut tofu fried rice tomorrow with the other half :D

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

silicone thrills posted:

Finally bought a tofu press.

Worth every penny. Put a firm block in this morning, threw it in the fridge. At 3 i took it out, cubed it up into 2 meals worth - 1 for tonight 1 for tomorrow. Marinated them both. Made a stir fry and it was significantly better texture than when i've tried just hand pressing out as much water as I could. Tonight was gochugang tofu stir fry over rice. Having a thai peanut tofu fried rice tomorrow with the other half :D

I've never been able to understand the benefit over pressing it with something heavy. You put it in the fridge in the press?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AxGrap posted:

I've never been able to understand the benefit over pressing it with something heavy. You put it in the fridge in the press?

I did. I left it there for a while. idk i just don't tend to have the right shaped stuff to just leave around pressin it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

AxGrap posted:

Smaller footprint/less cleanup. It takes up little more space than a mug and the beefy spring means that it's always applying the maximum pressure the block will take. I usually only do it for 30 minutes and it's like a whole different food than I was using before pressing it. No clue if that's slower or faster than using towels and textbooks.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

freezing firm tofu before use is also a really good idea. The ice opens up "crevasses" in the tofu and it's great for soaking up sauce.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i drunk bought a bag of szechuan peppercorns (never had them) and these things are incredible, i've just been eating them one at a time right out of the bag all afternoon

tongue go bzzzzzz

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chard posted:

i drunk bought a bag of szechuan peppercorns (never had them) and these things are incredible, i've just been eating them one at a time right out of the bag all afternoon

tongue go bzzzzzz
I think I did all sorts of dumb stuff with them the first time I tried them a long time ago

Probably the stupidest was to add an absurd amount of hot sauce to stuff and then see if I could make it edible again by adding a large quantity of szechuan peppercorns. I do not recommend doing this unless you want to make your mouth extremely unhappy.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

using those peppercorns and a bunch of other stuff to make your own spicy red oil for stir fries is a really good idea, it lasts a while and it's better than stuff you buy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Every time I try and make something with tofu it doesn't come out well. What are some thread favorite tofu recipes?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

net work error posted:

Every time I try and make something with tofu it doesn't come out well. What are some thread favorite tofu recipes?

My kind of general advice is get good at baking it by tossing it in soy sauce and sesame oil or a neutral oil, and a little bit of cornstarch for crispiness. Get your timing and thickness consistent and then you can just add it in at the end of any kind of stir fry or soup or dish you have.

Frying it is obviously better and also obviously less healthy

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

net work error posted:

If you make a good sauce for like a curry, or a Thai curry sauce, frozen-then-thawed firm tofu cut into blocks can just be dropped in. It soaks up the sauce and is delicious.

Or go to youtube and type "Maangchi Tofu" into the search bar.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I usually just press tofu, cube it, marinate it for a while in my sauce of choice - usually some combo of soy, rice wine, gochugang, and brown sugar - pan fry that for about 8 minutes total then saute some veg, pour left over marinaid in and then combine the tofu back in. Serve over rice or maybe integrate some noodles.

Lazy as all hell and works.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
There is a market by me that does fresh tofu fried daily for real cheap and it's kinda spoiling me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

if you are trying for crispy tofu, corn starch the cubes before you fry, use a lot of oil or deep fry, and use either wok, non stick, or cast iron.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the amount of cornstarch takes some practice to get right too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The bag shaking methodology ala shake n bake is effective.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

also sauté diced onions and diced jalepino, mix with chili crisp or a chunky pepper oil, put that on crispy salt and pepper tofu.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I also made a sort of tofu chicken knock off for a bbq chicken pizza once by doing corn starch + ranch dressing herbs and baked em for like 20 min in the convection oven. not bad. also added some into a sort of knock off fettuccini alfredo situation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we’ve been doing salt and pepper (usually use creole seasoning) tofu on rice with kimchi and chili crisp a lot

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
could you deep fry tofu and glaze it in syrup or honey for a bean fritter? want to know the limits of this stuff

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Malleum posted:

could you deep fry tofu and glaze it in syrup or honey for a bean fritter? want to know the limits of this stuff

Tofu can taste pretty drat good sweetened so probably.

I went to nobu like a decade ago and they made a tofu cheese cake that was incredible. really was an eye opening moment for my southern fried rear end

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don’t see why not crispy holds up to sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022
Cool, a cooking thread in C-SPAM? Sign me up.

I really like this tofu recipe and I probably make it a couple of times a month: Korean Tofu Jjageuli. It's one of my go-to meals when I'm feeling lazy and want something decent. It does mention spam as an optional ingredient but I don't think I've ever used it for this specific recipe (it's just not something I ever have on hand). I have added stuff like shredded chicken or pork and that's come out pretty tasty. I've also added chopped bok choy or spinach and that rocked too.

I've had good luck with this recipe for crispy tofu: Cripsy Baked Tofu. It comes out best when I press the tofu for at least eight to ten hours. I've been experimenting with using a combo of potato starch and corn starch and I've been happy with the results so far.

Edited to add:

I've had a hard time finding kimchi lately so I've started making my own. I've made this one a few times and it's a good starter recipe for someone who has zero kimchi experience: Green Cabbage Kimchi.

As an Empath... has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Jan 22, 2023