Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
this thread gets lonely

PyPy posted in the TRemp thread about a meatball sandwich made from home-made meatballs, and it made me want to drop my meatball knowledge here. I don't make meatballs now because meat hates me, but I got pretty good at it.

You can find a good base "recipe" on Serious Eats, or find old articles about "A16 meatballs" from some restaurant in Seattle or somewhere like that. It's not so much a "recipe" as a process and a checklist.

You can use whatever meats your dietary thing suggests. Personally even though it's not traditional I found 1:1 ground pork:ground turkey made very light meatballs. Pork and beef is more traditional, some people also mix in veal, really do whatever you want.

In addition to the primary meat, it's good to have some fatty stuff minced up. You can use pancetta (Italian pork belly bacon except not smoked), guanciale (pork face bacon, also not smoked), or else if you have a decent deli some mortadella (like balogna except bigger chunks of fat). Probably about 1/3 the primary meat amount (per meat; so like for a pound of pork and a pound of beef, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 pound of the fatty stuff, well-minced).

Bread chunks are important, personally stale white or whole-wheat "cheap" bread works great. When it's a little stale it's easier to mince with a knife. Then soak it in a little milk or stock, doesn't really matter, just enough to make it a little soggy. Panko is ok but I think slightly bigger (bean-sized) chunks of bread are better. This is not a huge deal, use whatever you have. How much? Well it depends on how much meat, definitely some bread and not a weird amount, again this is not critical. The bread soaked in liquid adds moisture, and the bread also soaks up some of the rendered fat while they cook.

Now you need eggs and aromatics and seasoning. I like to lightly brown minced onion and garlic before adding them to the mix, but that's not mandatory. I love herbs etc but too much herb-y flavor gets weird in meatballs, so a little thyme and maybe dried basil, but just a little. Of course do what you want.

I also like adding two or three big dollops of ricotta cheese. You can also add grated hard cheese but remember that those are salty.

To mix this (and I got this idea from somewhere on the net), what works good is to reserve a lump of the main meat, and then forcibly mix the rest of the meats, a couple eggs (depending on how big a batch you're making), the onion, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, maybe onion and garlic powder (everything is better with granulated garlic), etc. Mix that up with gusto to form a pasty mix. (Chinese cooks say to always work meat mixtures like that in one direction. I don't know why.) When it seems well-blended, then you can more gently mix in the rest of the main meats. By doing that, you distribute the seasonings around but still get "meaty" meatballs.

At this point I liked to semi-cook the meatballs in a hot oven (like 425 or 450) to get them to "set" before cooking them in a sauce or stock or whatever. To do this, my greatest secret is to use an aluminum "cake ball" pan. It's of course not necessary, and they're kind-of hard to find (I stumbled on mine in a Williams-Sonoma a long time ago, on the "poo poo nobody wants" rack.) A plain cookie sheet is fine. Blast them in the hot oven for about 20 minutes.

After that, you can add them to a sauce, or transfer them to a roasting pan with chopped tomato and onion and garlic and bake them for another 40 minutes or so (at maybe 350) to finish them as a main dish.

Notes: this is for Italian meatballs, if that's not obvious. Other kinds are different.

Italians think meatballs with spaghetti (specifically that pasta shape, spaghetti) is weird. With linguine, it's fine. Makes zero sense.

OK that's it I think.

You can make these small or large; that A16 place made tennis-ball sized meatballs and served them as a main dish.

emfive has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
perfect combination of an incredibly detailed helpful post and a probated poster, no notes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cloks posted:

perfect combination of an incredibly detailed helpful post and a probated poster, no notes

previous probation was ramen related.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Free emfive (I'm thawing some beef and have some old bread so I am trying this tomorrow)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The real top tier secret meatball ingredient is lime zest, and in a pinch, lemon zest.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

tofu is great i love it every way. Ive been doing a marinade lately of boiling water and the fake chicken better than bouillon plus any other spices that sound good. Cut the tofu into 1cm slabs and soak for around 20 minutes. Then pat dry cover in flour and bread crumbs and fry. Makes a great sandwich

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Suplex Liberace posted:

tofu is great i love it every way. Ive been doing a marinade lately of boiling water and the fake chicken better than bouillon plus any other spices that sound good. Cut the tofu into 1cm slabs and soak for around 20 minutes. Then pat dry cover in flour and bread crumbs and fry. Makes a great sandwich

my wife had some oral surgery whose details I don't want to know, but I got some soft tofu to mix into banana/apple smoothies

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

hey btw in the meatball thing, the mushed bread goes in when you're mixing up the meat into a meat paste.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

AxGrap posted:

Free emfive (I'm thawing some beef and have some old bread so I am trying this tomorrow)

I hope you enjoy success.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Em, I had to use my chicken first so meatballs have to wait a min

This is the dead easy chicken on cabbage that I thought to make when this thread made me hungry for cabbage a bit ago.

Chicken rubbed down with butter on cabbage steaks

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's a very dirty oven.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

thotsky posted:

Clean my oven 🖕hehe

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

thotsky posted:

Ovens are supposed to be dirty

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im super sus if you say you cook a lot and your stove/oven doesn't have little splatters all over it. No one has time to clean that poo poo erry day

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A spatter guard over your frying pan will change your life. Which reminds me, I need to clean mine.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mllaneza posted:

A spatter guard over your frying pan will change your life. Which reminds me, I need to clean mine.

I have one. IT STILL ESCAPES

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just take the scars imo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I fry a lot of bacon because my children are monsters and long ago I just went in on a cast iron Dutch oven because I was sick of cleaning up splatters all the time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What do you all do about the smell/smoke when using the berners?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
if I'm doing something that is actually smokey I'll crack a window but I try to manage with just the overhead vent if I can. I haven't smoked my house out from cooking bacon in years.

or if it's not a terrible day I'll try to cook whatever it is outside on the grill (like smash burgers on the baking steel for instance).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

emfive posted:

my wife had some oral surgery whose details I don't want to know, but I got some soft tofu to mix into banana/apple smoothies

i once had a surgery whose details you don't want to know, and my advice is instant mashed potatoes with like 2-3 times the water. instant breakfasts and things are also good, but sometimes you crave something savory during those awful days/weeks

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I had to be on a liquid diet for a few months post esophageal surgery and god i'd just want literally anything other than loving ensure or cream of wheat sometimes and I took to throwing just random foods into the blender with extra liquid. If it kind of tastes like it, it counts right?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Chard posted:

i once had a surgery whose details you don't want to know, and my advice is instant mashed potatoes with like 2-3 times the water. instant breakfasts and things are also good, but sometimes you crave something savory during those awful days/weeks

I made her some tomato aspic and while it's not a great source of calories it's delicious. Also I made some Venezuelan avocado sauce (guasacaca) and it goes great with the aspic. But she's desperate for more calories, I think hummus is the next thing (with as little lemon juice as possible).

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

emfive posted:

I made her some tomato aspic and while it's not a great source of calories it's delicious. Also I made some Venezuelan avocado sauce (guasacaca) and it goes great with the aspic. But she's desperate for more calories, I think hummus is the next thing (with as little lemon juice as possible).

e: but yea mashed potatoes with a huge amount of butter and maybe some blue cheese and roasted (totally-mushed up) garlic would be good too. Also on that topic I discovered that steaming potatoes for making mashed is way better than boiling, they come out perfect and then all your additional liquid can be butter and cream etc.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All kinds of soups would work well, with lots of pureed vegetables. Pumpkin soup is delicious and filling, also cauliflower soup

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

All kinds of soups would work well, with lots of pureed vegetables. Pumpkin soup is delicious and filling, also cauliflower soup

yea except being cold is also necessary, but cauliflower could be real good. Cold basically means it has to be saltier. Oh also cucumber soup is delicious no matter what your oral situation is.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

hell even steamed and mashed cucumber and carrot is delicious, with lots of butter.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Refried beans are great - just put a little extra broth to make em more liquidy instead of pasty.

You wanna go wild - throw some nacho cheese in there.

I didnt start doing that until I was like a month in though.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

Refried beans are great - just put a little extra broth to make em more liquidy instead of pasty.

You wanna go wild - throw some nacho cheese in there.

I didnt start doing that until I was like a month in though.

yea I think "rich" is OK but anything remotely like sour or spicy or too salty is probably not a good idea.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nothing beats low-sodium bone broth and a funnel in these situations

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i say swears online posted:

nothing beats low-sodium bone broth and a funnel in these situations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

using google maps to find the best dessert sushi restaurants in the world

mystes
May 31, 2006

the what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mystes posted:

the what

The sushi which guards the cake.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

The sushi which guards the cake.

this post caused a question to form in my head, which was "is there an anime about schoolgirls who are also different kinds of sushi rolls" but I decided not to ask it.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I fry a lot of bacon because my children are monsters and long ago I just went in on a cast iron Dutch oven because I was sick of cleaning up splatters all the time.

foil over oven pan, lay bacon in single layer, put in oven and turn up to 420, flip bacon halfway through

will come out crisp every time and cleanup or grease harvest are now trivial

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1619803730521759745

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ekuNNN posted:

lmao
jordanbpeterson/status/

"medium"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I do not buy the fancy beef lest I gently caress up like this.