Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i say swears online posted:

I wonder if that helps alfredo with old-rear end crystallized parmesan

cheap rear end ground dried Parma works pretty good for alfredo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

really? i found the pre-ground cheap stuff doesn't melt nearly as well as off the block. it's got the same powdery feel as pre-shredded regular cheese does

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

really? i found the pre-ground cheap stuff doesn't melt nearly as well as off the block. it's got the same powdery feel as pre-shredded regular cheese does

pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents in it that makes it a bitch to use in sauces

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah i've tried an alfredo with that once and it was gritty and gross

the only thing i use pregrated parm for is a recipe my wife found for gluten free parmesan crusted chicken thighs, where the cellulose actually helps bind the crust

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

huh wonder what I’m doing differently, on the other hand won’t ever do it again with the lactose intolerance anyway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents in it that makes it a bitch to use in sauces

yeah i grew up on "mexican blend" and i'll never buy pre-shredded cheese again. i get giant grocery store blocks of cheddar for most things and then monterrey jack and white american for queso

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

are you all talking just pre grated or cheap rear end Kraft plastic shakers?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm not sure i've seen real just-shredded parmesan, just the kraft pizza topping

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a salted pork butt chilling in the fridge overnight because I'm planning to make pulled pork in a Dutch oven instead of a pressure cooker because I'm tired of making wet meat slop with no texture or char to it.

wish me luck.

I've been doing this too, it's way better. After taking the pork out of the oven, I pan fried it on the stove top for quesadillas over the weekend

e: also, I finally stopped wasting my time on overnight pork dry rubs and only seasoned the meat with salt just before placing it in the Dutch oven

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Apr 21, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ActNormalOrElse/status/1386388891175989248

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

true

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

BISCUITS:

RECIPE:
https://www.momontimeout.com/perfect-biscuits-every-time-recipe/

TIPS: I sifted the dry ingredients and then used a cheese grater to shred the butter to pea-size per the above recipe and then turned it out onto floured surface with no kneading.
LEARNED'S: Next time I will use something other than an old fashioned glass to cut the dough circles out, they were a little wide but this is fine I'll make breakfast sandwiches with them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah the trick to giant rise biscuits is a sharp floured metal circle and no twisting in the punch-down.

those look good as heck though.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

yeah the trick to giant rise biscuits is a sharp floured metal circle and no twisting in the punch-down.

those look good as heck though.

this is one of those few times I feel like I nailed something decently on a first try and so encouraged can make minor adjustments to my method, the most difficult part was the arm workout involved in cheesegrating a stick and a half of butter

baking now interests me

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Waffle House posted:

this is one of those few times I feel like I nailed something decently on a first try and so encouraged can make minor adjustments to my method, the most difficult part was the arm workout involved in cheesegrating a stick and a half of butter

baking now interests me

You can cube the cold butter and squish it into the flour with your fingers if you don't like the cheesegrating method

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's taken years for me to get biscuits i'm happy with. they're expert-tier foods no matter what anyone says

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Schmeichy posted:

You can cube the cold butter and squish it into the flour with your fingers if you don't like the cheesegrating method

I *was* going to do it this way and go buy a pastry cutter but the cheesegrater method garnered better results IMO and I will be using it in the future for recipes where SOME FUCKIN COLDASS BUTTER is necessary for dough consistency

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm a heathen and just do drop biscuits :shrug:

namely this recipe: https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nation/cheddar-bay-biscuits-thrillist-recipes

I make them plain too, just remove the cheese and seasonings obv

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Waffle House posted:

I *was* going to do it this way and go buy a pastry cutter but the cheesegrater method garnered better results IMO and I will be using it in the future for recipes where SOME FUCKIN COLDASS BUTTER is necessary for dough consistency

my cheese grater bends when i try it so i just get the butter really cold and then do maybe 1/8th-inch slices with a knife. it's difficult but works great since those slices kinda split themselves up if it's cold enough

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
now I want to try to mandolin some frozen butter for biscuits.

fwiw I tried to do cubed butter once and it didn't turn out right (I didn't use a pastry cutter to mix it though).

grated frozen unsalted butter is the key

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

grated frozen butter is key to pie crust too

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Smooshing the butter flat with your fingers is nice and results in a flaky biscuit if you work it all into small flat pieces and do the roll out and fold method a few times. I'm sure the grater works better but I'm lazy about washing extra dishes.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

my cheese grater bends when i try it so i just get the butter really cold and then do maybe 1/8th-inch slices with a knife. it's difficult but works great since those slices kinda split themselves up if it's cold enough

I got this one from the HEB near me for about this price when I moved into my new place, I kinda like having the removable tray

https://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Pr...389160855&psc=1

Crusty Nutsack posted:

grated frozen butter is key to pie crust too

I found this out last I did a savory crust with butter/bacon fat, it really pays to have the fats cold for that nice laminar flaking.

Schmeichy posted:

Smooshing the butter flat with your fingers is nice and results in a flaky biscuit if you work it all into small flat pieces and do the roll out and fold method a few times. I'm sure the grater works better but I'm lazy about washing extra dishes.

I did have to flake some of the butter manually because the frozen butter tends to clump unless you empty it promptly, but it was necessary to use a fork and my fingers for dough mixing so it worked out okay.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

awesome looking biscuits! thanks for posting the recipe too, i'll have to give that a try

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

god dammit I grated a block of gruyere and forgot to put it in a recipe. what the hell do I do with a bunch of grated gruyere?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
kenjis hasslebeck potatoes

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

mac and cheese, croque monsieur/madame, gratin anything

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

serious eats sodium citrate mac and cheese is fantastic. I bust out the food processor to shred my cheese and it is a super easy (and super unhealthy) weeknight meal

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it was for Mac and cheese

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'll do potatoes with it tomorrow. it shall be done.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

god dammit I grated a block of gruyere and forgot to put it in a recipe. what the hell do I do with a bunch of grated gruyere?

Garnish and/or eat it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was for Mac and cheese

so did it just become mac

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
First time smoking ribs. Dry rub and three hours in the smoker. Came out really good!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

so did it just become mac

fortunately no

there's a later step where you stir the grated gruyere into the melted sharp cheddar I just got distracted by pork and jalapeños.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Think Less posted:

First time smoking ribs. Dry rub and three hours in the smoker. Came out really good!

looks good, decent smoke ring too

What kind of smoker do you have?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I made tea eggs, I didn't realize how good they get after a week soaking in the liquid. I only have 1 left and they're only now getting good. I'm going to have to make a full dozen batch this week

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

quiche

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

looks good, decent smoke ring too

What kind of smoker do you have?

Pit Barrel Cooker. Picked it up this weekend and have done wings, ribs, and chicken thighs so far. I'm new to smoking meat, and the PBC is has been really great.

One downside I've discovered though is that the charcoal takes forever to extinguish since it doesn't seal all the way

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Think Less posted:

Pit Barrel Cooker. Picked it up this weekend and have done wings, ribs, and chicken thighs so far. I'm new to smoking meat, and the PBC is has been really great.

One downside I've discovered though is that the charcoal takes forever to extinguish since it doesn't seal all the way

I think there's probably some trick to sealing those upright smokers. I have a weber propane smoker which is pretty decent but it doesn't seal. I can still get good smoke rings out of it by keeping it well stocked with big chunks of wood. I've heard you can seal them with like silicone but I've been too scared and lazy to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Do a pork butt you'll learn a lot and it's difficult to gently caress it up and everyone is impressed by pulled pork