Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh hey there's a cooking thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

I went to the hot sauce store for another giant haul of hot sauces. I got some secret aardvark jerk marinade and some Caribbean hot sauce, so now I need some Caribbean recipes! Who can help me with that?

hot sauce store? Jungle Jim's?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

noice

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oh poo poo whenever they have this in, pick it up. Fatalii peppers are my fav

https://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/products/cajohns-select-fatalii-puree?variant=25736104328

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

do i put the sardines in the lentils or the lentils in the sardines or what how does this work

you can if you want but if ur cooking with sardines you're best off by making some fisherman's eggs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Is anyone familiar with a variety of lentils or beans that might be described as "grey"

I was reading an old book and they kept mentioning grey beans

sounds to me like just regular/green lentils

puy lentils maybe?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

The lighting in my apartment is still all hosed up until maintenance shows up, but here's what I made tonight:

bulgogi sandwiches with spinach, caramelized red onions and spicy mayo. I made the marinade a little too salty, but other than that it's great.

good poo poo op

I did a trial run of my corned beef/cabbage/taters/whatever else I decide to cook in the juices last night and it's real fuckin good

no pics tho because I was also real fuckin drunk

the instant pot is just incredible for turning big tough cuts of meat into tender deliciousness

oh that reminds me, gonna make a couple pounds of black eyed peas too, how much baking soda should I soak it in overnight so peeps ain't farting up a storm?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Woah is that a thing you can do?? If I could fart less I would eat way more beans

haven't done it personally but I've read it a lot and am willing to try it out

overnight soaking is supposed to help and baking soda apparently helps even more

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pro tip: if you get a hand mixer, which you should, get one with dough hooks included

these things loving rule for hot water cornbread recipes, and also other things probably

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

I was wrong about the cheese

It didn't age, it didn't rot, but it's pretty gross now and I would say that the expiration date was probably correct

always trust ur nose

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

What are traditional new year's food in your region, C-Spam? I am going to a dinner and need to bring something. In exchange for your info, I will offer you a New Year's recipe from where I live.

Oliebollen are traditional in the Netherlands for New Years, and are said to be the precursor of the American doughnut, which came to America via New Amsterdam. They are annoying to make and unhealthy, but tasty as hell. A mixer with dough hooks would be helpful. Be sure to sprinkle them with powdered sugar.

black eyed peas, corned beef, pork, boiled greens, and sauerkraut for whateve rreason

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Pretty shocked at the uniformity of the answers, as I have never heard of this tradition before, though it seems to be a southern thing. Wikipedia says:

When I lived in New York I remember we would all trade coats with each other at midnight

yep,

grew up in the south so all this is burned into my memory...i tend to substitute corned beef for pork tho

as for the origin story, lost of poo poo about the south around the civil war has been totally made up, slaver scum deserved far worse than they got. They weren't hard up and oppressed folk they were immediately put back in power by reactionary politicians leveraging a system designed from the bottom up to empower an apartheid minority with no aim higher than the literal ownership of other humans

ain't no american skipping cornbread as animal feed lol, it was grown in the north lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the only "culturally african american" foods acknowledged in the south are racist as hell like watermelon and fried chicken (things easily grown by sharecroppers in their personal plots), no southerner will be able to tell you that black eyed peas originated as the luck of un-enslaved folk and would probably actually start yelling at you if you said that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

:d2a:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Yeah, that story is bullshit for various reasons, who the hell feeds salt pork to animals, you would never find fields of unharvested peas in December, etc.

What I found most unusual was how symbolic all the ingredients seem to be. Green for dollar bills, corn for gold, swelling of peas for success. I read this sort of stuff about foods from other cultures, but it's not typical of American ceremonial meals.

What is symbolized by the components of a Thanksgiving meal? You don't eat turkey because it is predictable, or cranberry sauce because it is purple like the mountains majesty or whatever, it's just "that's Indian food sorta" and that's as far as the symbolism goes.

What is the symbolic meaning of ketchup on a 4th of July hotdog? Or the symbolic meaning of the Old Bay seasoning splattered all over a Memorial Day Crab Bake?

America's culture of food is deeply psychotic

7/4 stuff is symbolic in that it's traditionally "american" stuff

Thanksgiving is a mish-mash of poo poo and doesn't really have a broadly coherent ideology but generally speaking it's fall stuff you see in the NE and midwest. I pretty commonly see wild turkeys near the highway when I'm driving home to see my family around then for example. Cranberries are a common crop in the original 13 states, and the rest is generally just straight up stolen from the natives like most of everything else about this nation

anything involving seafood is supremely regional and if you bring it up with most americans they'll tell you it's stupid poo poo for idiots, because 99% of the country doesn't give a hot poo poo about crabs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

It's weird to me that people buy collards. They grow like weeds most of the US. Which is why they became a culinary thing. It's literally "poor people food" like a lot of traditional peasant dishes.

the rich turn poor people food into haute cuisine because it rides alongside the impulse they have to turn poor people's labor into rich people profit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sauerkraut rules without exception, death to all who do not acknowledge its majesty

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

so for this challenge, how are things grown by friends and gifted to me counted? It's not like, a whole side of beef or anything, but rather some favored peppers which retail at like a couple bucks per

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also does it have to be a burger

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Loutre posted:

I vote you have to sub the price of whatever the grocery store equivalent would be. Kinda pointless challenge if I can use an entire garden to make a "free" meal

I'm not even sure fatalii peppers HAVE a store price lol, whatever I'll count'em as habaneros which helpfully Kroger allows to be purchased by the pound so they're like a nickel each

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

emfive posted:

there's a commercial hot sauce called "Fatalii Fire" that's extremely hot but also extremely good. It's surprisingly expensive though.

ya it's a niche pepper even among pepper heads, which is a shame because it's also the best

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

emfive posted:

is a "patty melt" a burger

*dives into bunker*

ya it is, meat or meat analogue in between bread with other poo poo top and bottom

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

I'd say if you got it for free but didn't specifically ask for it for this challenge (I'm assuming nobody cares that much) then you're fine.

No, it can be anything you can cook that costs less than a big mac.

awesome, I've got a lot to contribute then, many will attest my open contempt for expensive foods and my love of poverty cooking

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

good thing my entry is gonna be so incredible that it will power past the fact that my kitchen is poorly lit and I only have a cameraphone

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BRB ordering a Mac with 27 extra patties so I can make gold foil covered foie gras

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I also recommend Italian Grandma Cooking ASMR

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

looks like im picking up a gat dang big mac on the way back from the gym so I can see how much it is

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

you can also get 2 for $5 10 piece McNuggets and sit in the parking lot shoving them up your rear end one at a time

is there room for them between all the revolvers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

take the revolvers out first.

also legally you have to tell the McDonald’s clerk what you’re going to do with them because they get taxed differently as a non food item.

you must spend a lot of time shuffling things around in ur rear end to make room for even more things, godspeed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

round 1 of making a simple ginger syrup for drinkmate drinks is a success, quite good but I think the new canister didn't carbonate it as well because it's insufficiently fizzy. May need to do a couple cycles of chilling and shaking to get it REALLY fizzy

used 3:1 erythritol and sugar because I wanted it sweet but also didn't want many calories from it

edit - no pics but just imagine a resealable mead bottle full of dark piss

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

is super troopers as good a film as i remember or was i just an idiot before i turned into the idiot i am now

it's a pretty funny movie

not a cinematic masterpiece but nowadays the spoof/romp genre is universally lovely because even that low bar requires more creativity and risk taking than what is the norm nowadays, so something like Half Baked and Super Troopers basically instantly gets cult status because there's nothing else

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

The genre spoof peaked with blazing saddles

Aged surprisingly well too.

not only did it age well, but it keeps getting rehashed as the prime example of "movie that couldn't be made today because of THOSE SJWS" despite the fact that it's made at least a couple times a year, it's just hard to make a good crude parody movie

a proper example of this type for them to whine about would be Last Tango in Paris

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

chili was good and i ate 2lbs of it

all things instant pot are good

gotta be careful with some veggies and most fish tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

instant pot hard boiled eggs are supreme

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

man I hope the stores aren't loving insane today, forgot some ingredients

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HERE IT COMES MOTHERFUCKERS

Too many of you are focusing on simplicity and modest quantities of high quality ingredients, so to contrast this I present to you:

EHF'S HOBO BACHELOR BUFFET

chef's note: the lentils and chicken i cooked in larger batches and portioned down for this recipe

It is, essentially, one big meal with three sides. The first, is the lentils:

I cook it with a bit of oil and a halved habanero, which I remove when it's done. Gives the lentils a bit of spice.

Into that goes the frozen veggies, in this case broccoli and peas, and 3/4 of the grilled onion. Mix it all up, and it's done, set it aside

Up next is what is colloquially referred to as "hot water cornbread." To make this I mix up 1.5 cups of cornmeal and a dash of salt+oil with boiling water until thick, and mix it up. Let it sit for awhile because the hot water does part of the cooking. I added the diced jalapenos and the remaining grilled onion. Mix it all up and spread it out on a pan, bake for ~40 minutes at 375. Near the end, add 2 oz of cheese:

The last part is the protein, in this case chicken thighs. Pretty simple, normally I'll slow cook them with salsa and shred in the container, but I was pressed for time so I pressure cooked them instead and shredded them in a mixing bowl:

But them all together aaaaaaaand:

THREE pounds of mothafuckin food, all home made and high quality. This actually ended up coming out to 4.22 instead of the 4.36 my big mac would cost, so I included 14 cents worth of grapes that I already had out and was snacking on while making my food.

The expenses:
1.00 - 8oz chicken
0.43 - hot water cornmeal (1.5 cups)
0.10 - jalapeno and habanero and oil
0.32 - lentils (1 cup dry)
1.00 - frozen veggies (1 bag worth)
0.50 - small onion (pan seared)
0.32 - 4oz salsa (any old garbage brand is fine)
0.55 - 2oz cheese (shredded mexican storebrand)
0.14 - handful o' grapes

TOTAL = $4.36

You can halve the cornmeal and end up with less food but more budget but I wanted the Hungry Man cadre to be represented. Alternately you can make cornbread hushpuppies by frying instead but I prefer flattening it out and baking.

And for those who are curious:

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Jan 12, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Peanut President posted:

I'm gonna bodyslam you into a port-o-john for that horrific abomination you call corn bread

that's why I qualified it as not really cornbread!

who's got time to wait for it to rise and poo poo, just gimme dat flatbread style cornbread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Peanut President posted:

corn bread doesn't have yeast in it you loving jackass gently caress you

wow next you'll say I'm supposed to use baking powder instead of my Drinkmate

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Where'd you get the nutrion calculator?

That recipe owns

Shocked that you included lentils tho

Don't have the link on me but just search "meal nutrition calculator" and pick the spark people one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lamentable dustman posted:

I feel like I'm getting ripped off on my chicken thighs, they are almost 3 dollars a pound in SC.

Chicken breast and chicken thighs don't often go over 2.29 here, they're loss leaders

twoday posted:

How thin was the cornbread?

More corn pone really, basically maybe twice as thick as normal flat bread. When I fry it instead I form it into what are basically burger patties