Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i say swears online posted:

whole fish rule. there's a jamaican place next to me that does a whole red snapper and it's so good

When I lived in florida when me and my brother had a good day on the boat one of the asian places we sold to would do some pretty showy meals with a medium sized Mutton where they'd cook it whole. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

whole bbq goat (cabrito) looks really cool in northeast mexico but i'm not much of a goat meat person so never tried it

goats good but has the same gaminess sheep does but moreso. it tastes a bit like how clean goat fur smells. thats kind of the dealbreaker for most people. my extended family growing up were texas hill country folk so I probably ate more of it than is normal for an american. including a few mountain goats. honestly one of the few things i miss about america is the game and fish. lambs good but when's the next time i'm gonna get fresh jelly rolls?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

stop by the texas d&d thread, it's like 20% arguing about kolaches

i like kolaches, but jelly rolls are

i used to take em as payment for dressing gators that local morons killed

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
if you debone a gator tail what your left with is a big piece of meat that looks like a big fish filet, and then two tapering tubes which I used to describe as being “like” the filet but I think they might actually just be the filet. pound em out a bit, skewer them, and baste with a Thai peanut sauce.

e: skinning and deboning the fuckers is a pain. It's easy if they bring you the carcass whole because you can use an airpump to strip the entire hide, but usually they've already taken a stab at dressing the lizard themselves and mangled the skin or worse, just lopped the loving tail off.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 14:14 on May 5, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Epic High Five posted:

that skin still sell pretty well if you get it off in good shape?

not even remotely worth the effort to sell it. if your doing it as a proper business maybe but as an opportunistic occurrence no. you want the skin intact because the way you skin it involves blowing them up like a balloon and tears interfere.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
no sumac and no long pepper and no cardamom
thats 0 for 3 i'm afraid you get a zero on this exam brahsky

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
eh they probably shouldn't be there longer than 6 months. also go wild with your pickles. like a plant product? pickle it.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
also don't be afraid to experiment with different kinds of vinegar and spice mixtures. I had a pretty good batch of green tomatoes in balsamic vingar that were pretty good on sandwiches

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
pickling is meant to get produce to the next season not the next decade

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
it's good to see people improve on traditional dishes.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

The Voice of Labor posted:

tongue's the best part of the cow. it also used to be one of the cheapest. this is how you cook it

get yourself one of these

put it in a crock pot, or just a big pot on the stove

add onions, celery, salt, rosemary and bailiff. these are kinda optional, I was intending to use the tongue water as a stock, but if you just want the tongue you can omit everything except the salt (though adding the other stuff in will make your house smell nice when the tongue's cooking)

add ample water to cover and then some

you could add some of this too. I didn't but you totally could and no one would say you were wrong to have done so

boil that meat for like 4-6 hours. you should be able to shove a fork through the thickest part, encounter a tiny little bit of resistance and not have any resistance pulling it out. I don't know what that translates to in terms of internal temperature or what ever you nerds go by when you're cooking meat. you can't over cook a tongue, but you can leach too much of that tongue goodness out into its cooking water

peel the thick outer layer of skin off

peel or cut the inner layer of skin off too. a lot of taquerias don't do this, but you really really should. note that the base part of the tongue will have some ligamenty veiny stuff in it that should also be removed prior to serving

slice it up, fry it in olive oil with some garlic and salt and serve it with dijon or vinaigrette

end result is a bit like meat tofu where the outside is super crisp (because of all the tongue oil) and the inside it just melty and soft. note that if you boil it longer, you don't need to fry it afterwards, you can skin it and just eat it hot or cold, but not over cooking it when you're boiling it and giving it a searing looks better and tastes better

tongue is great more people should eat tongue

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
whats the best roux for a good gumbo? i finally got sick of "lol america food is hamburger" comments and wanna make something good.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
if I visit America soon I’ll make that recipe for family but half that ingredients list is unavailable right now so I will have to make do with replacements I’m afraid.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
GENTLEMEN!
I have made gumbo using a water buffalo fat roux and fermented turkish sausage!

And I'm going to feed it to my friday morning chess club!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

baking powder + convection oven or air fryer makes great wings

but oh my god are they overpriced. most restaurants around here charge $1 per when i could get $.25 wings anywhere a decade ago. grocery stores are like $3.99/lb or so here

Rich people 'discovering' poor people food is a plague. I used to make my own stocks before the whole foods crowd discovered "bone broth". Last time I was in the states bones were more expensive than some steak cuts.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Retromancer posted:

lol remember when skirt/flank steak was trash meat that you could get dirt cheap?

Skirts were my high school protein because I could afford it with my lunch money. That and shoplifted publix sushi.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i want a bunch of shrimp rn

fuuuck i used to buy rock shrimp straight from the boat for like a couple bucks a pound
the only upside to istanbul over miami seafood wise is the cephalopod quality is considerably better. and i kinda have a thing for monkfish stews

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm gonna make the sour creamiest twice baked potato today and aint nothing gonna stop me.

Bacon, cheese, scallions, the works.

Might even loosely wrap it in foil and then walk up to the kitchen window and have my partner hand it to me wearing a red wig.

hell yeah brother

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
no its just your average everyday ortakoy kumpir
your given a little checklist to fill out and then they bring you a two thousand calorie starchbomb

the same places do the same thing with waffles and it's traditional to eat one then the other in succession
for whatever reason it's an incredibly popular datenight activity because nothing puts a turkish woman in the mood to shag like 5000 calories in carbs

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I’m curious about what the “American salad (Russian salad)” is.

There used to be a restaurant that sold kumpir near me. They closed, but I’m wondering if they could have one better with different marketing (and waffles). That thing you posted looked amazeballs

It's some kind of potato salad as I recall.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

I figured it'd be coleslaw, potato salad on a baked potato is hubris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad
This apparently. I've seen it at Raki bars. Never seen anyone eat it. Never saw it in America either, even at the McZedhe clan gathering in the Texas hill country which had every kind of starchy miracle whip smothered "salad" you could imagine.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Celebrating the formal end of a stupid idiotic war with a bowl of alevi style Ashure.
Not the best tasting thing in the world, but thats just keeping with the theme imo.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Made some pretzels for game day

Why are they screaming at me?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
gently caress you and your clever wordplay.

also yeah fry the spices in a bit of oil. Spices are little motes of woody matter filled with flavor. gotta get that flavor OUT otherwise its just gonna scrape across your tongue and your gonna get barely anything

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
how can you make the bottom of a pot of rice all caramelized and crunchy in some bullshit rice cooker?
goons never fail to disgust

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
also five weeks is nothing for Christmas recipes. I made a bunch of nog last November that was a big hit after six weeks and still have two bottles of it for this year.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
gonna be spending a few weeks back in florida and being able to reliably get fresh mussels for dirt cheap is like, the one good thing about the state
you'd think with mussels on literally every street corner you'd be able to get them in Istanbul, but alas

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

we made 100 wings tonight, all flats. buffalo, jalapeno, periperi and habanero. also rice krispie treats

bourgeois decadence

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

used to have a bad selection of peppers but now im glad to have a Korean grocery nearby with like 12 kinds of peppers of different colors and spiciness.

Istanbuls pepper selection is schizophrenic. 99% of places have the same selection of:
two colors of long bell peppers
the weird skinny green pepper that isn't spicy
the weird skinny green pepper that melts your butthole (neither I, any turks I know, or the grocers themselves are able to tell these two apart so sometimes you get the other one on accident randomly)
what i think is a hungarian wax pepper
vague chilli lookin thing?

and then there will be random places that have 50 million provincial varieties of peppers delivered fresh weekly by korsun taxi and also some yellow chunky milk that tastes like abrosia
the peppers are sold by the kg and the prices haven't gone up since 2010

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

lol at the loan words of loan words. they just took "salçalı kıyma" (salcha, sauce, and kıyma, both of which are also loan words).

pretty much all of the greek language is mispronouncing a turkish loanword from persian/arabic and pretending your speaking the language of homer

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

in America they live in the lap of luxury. back in the old country, you eat bread and onion when you are poor.
mercimek yesterday, mercimek today, and blimey, if it don't look like mercimek again tomorrow

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Eat This Glob posted:

i had never heard of that dish before but hot drat that sounds delicious. i could always stand to eat more legumes

its actually pretty decent as a staple dish, but at dig sites it becomes a "twice a day, every day" dish and 40 days is a long time for lentil slurry to be 75% of your calories

great for losing weight without losing too much muscle mass tho

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

The Voice of Labor posted:

adolf hitler is holding a gun to your head and barking orders at you in broken english. he is demanding that you make the most inauthentic ethnic cuisine you can. what do you do?

“freshmex”

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
it's pronounced "jajuk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've cooking and eating my own lentil soup for about a week and now have amazing poops.

nice