Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here is the brine recipe I like to use for chicken. This makes 2 quarts of brine and is intended for a whole chicken or enough cut chicken to feed a family. If you're making less chicken cut the recipe down accordingly.

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 T coarse ground pepper
6 cloves of garlic, crushed. You can leave the skins on.
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 bay leaf, crushed
5 whole fresh parsley sprigs, chopped
1 ts dried oregano
1 ts dried thyme
1 ts dried rosemary

In a 4 quart bowl or pot fill with water, salt, and pepper. Stir the salt until it's completely dissolved in the water. add the onion and the garlic, mix up the chopped fresh and dried herbs add to the brine. Add chicken to the brine and refrigerate for the times listed below. Try not to go over these times or your chicken will turn out saltier than you want to eat.

boneless chicken breasts: 30 minutes
bone-in chicken parts: 40 minutes
whole chicken: 60 minutes.

Make sure when you remove the chicken from the brine you rinse the meat thoroughly. If you plan to grill boneless chicken breasts after brining, try flattening the breasts so they cook more evenly. Cuts down on grilling time too.

That should help out with your dry chicken.

:hf: single bay leaf buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

there's a visual appeal to a beautiful loaf of bread that almost no other food item can match

now i want to start a sourdough but this seems like a bad time to discard flour

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Chard posted:

you don't have to discard the discard. pour into a little hot oil in a pan and top with spices for easy flatbread, make pancakes, etc. you can also feed the starter with a lot less flour/water than most recipes call for, and less frequently.

guerrilla sourdough. i like it.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the bread pics made me hungry for bread last night and although i didn't start a sourdough, i left a regular yeast starter bubbling overnight

rise
slice
breadtimes!

also making a lamb stew for dinner to sop my bread in

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

day 3 of quarantine, eating good while we can still taste food

dehydrated vegetable mix is my secret weapon for stews when i don't have the proper stock -- just use water and half a cup of that stuff, and it magically turns into flavorful vegetable stock!

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

snoo posted:

recipe pls thank u I bought more flour and yeasts

pretty bread

french bread is the simplest bread there is, so it's just bread flour, water, yeast, and salt

- combine 1 cup warm (110 degree) water, 1 cup flour, and 1-2 teaspoons of dry yeast, let bubble overnight or longer
- add 1 more cup warm water, 2 tsp salt, and around 4-5 cups flour and knead until the dough is silky and springy
- let rise, then form into four loaves and let those rise
- preheating oven to 450 degrees
- make some 1/4 inch cuts on top of the loaves and stick in the oven, reduce heat to 400 and bake for ~40 minutes until golden brown
- for a better crust, you can put a small pan of water in the oven to make steam, but make sure it's not so big as to lower the temperature

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

snoo posted:

my kimchi is getting a little fizzy :3: very fishy and spicy, but i added too much salt i feel

thank you

can i do all of this in my stand mixer's metal mixing bowl? is that fine for letting it go overnight?

i can do it in a plastic or glass bowl and knead by hand, i've just had to wash my hands so much lately that avoiding getting them dirty on purpose is nice

i like to keep the starter in a glass bowl overnight because i know it won't react or leach anything out, but i'm sure stainless steel is fine too

a stand mixer will definitely save you a lot of work kneading!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

la cigale of our age

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i cooked a pound of pinto beans with bacon, onion, garlic, tomato, chipotle, cumin and cilantro yesterday and they turned out p good

i froze half though, because i don't want to overdose on beans so soon into the quarantine

today, bean quesadillas for lunch!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

ok plinkey you win, i wouldn't turn down your cheezer I GUESS

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

tastes good

combine

1.5 cups instant oats
2 tsp salt
1 Tsp butter
4 Tsp honey
2 cups boiling water

mix and allow to cool, then add

1 egg, whisked
2 Tsp dry yeast proofed in a bit of warm water
~4 cups bread flour

knead, rise, and shape into loaves, rise and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes

mine came out kinda runty because it turned out i had too much dough for one pan but not quite enough for two. adjust as necessary.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

thawed out the ham bone from last christmas and gave it an hour in the instant pot

plenty of meat left on that thing, and even more cartilage. the bones were still hard (should have gone 2 hours i guess) so i stuck them back in...

with a pound of split peas and some garlic and dehydrated onion

after slow cooking for a few hours, take out the bones and add the finely chopped ham, about two tablespoons of coarsely ground mustard seed soaked in cold water, and some fresh marjoram from the garden

p dece

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

what are some good Indian dishes? I'm always making saag paneer or rogan josht and I want to mix it up a bit. Any naan tips?

i've made naan precisely twice but here's what i learned:

all purpose flour is better than bread flour, you want a soft wet dough with plenty of oil/fat in it (1.5-2 tbsp per cup of liquid) and not too much kneading

cook in a dry pan over medium to medium-high heat, and let the top bubble up a little bit but not too much before flipping, because the bubbles will turn into char spots, and you don't want too much of those

i also tried brushing a thin coat of oil on before each bread, but it isn't really needed unless you're worried about the seasoning on your cast iron pan. i reserve one pan for breads and pizzas and other dry things, so the seasoning is always poor on it, but it doesn't matter

e: also i've had the idea for a while to try heating up a pizza stone and then sticking it under the broiler to try to emulate a tandoor, but it's been too hot here lately to heat up the kitchen like that

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Apr 9, 2020

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

I would assume a pizza stone is best, but I haven't tried in years

What is bread flour?

it's wheat flour with a higher gluten level, producing a chewier result, which you don't want for naan

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Bert Roberge posted:

Made some Swedish saffron bread with vanilla cream filling.

Messed up the braiding a bit, but the bread was good.

https://www.delscookingtwist.com/swedish-saffron-braided-bread-with-vanilla-cream/

ooh that's one of those things where it's just too elaborate for me to ever bother making but i would eat half of that in a sitting

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

I roasted some bones and ate the marrow, and then boiled the bones and drank the bone juice

now just grind them to make your bread and your transformation into a giant is complete

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

comrades, i want to take a moment to proselytize for mustard greens!

if you've got mustard seeds in your pantry that aren't too many years old, chances are good that they will actually sprout. soak them for a few hours in warm water and then plant them 1/4 inch deep, and they should come up in a couple of days

plant them fairly densely, several seeds per square inch, and in a week, you'll have beautiful microgreens. thin them out and use them as garnishes or mix into salads, they're spicy and sweet

as they grow, keep thinning them, and in two weeks you'll have big ol' mustard leaves maybe an inch apart:

these are still tender enough to eat as salads and garnishes, such as these hot dogs with mustard, relish, and mustard

at this age, they still have that sweet, spicy mustard taste, although a few of them have also developed a bitterness, much like with cucumbers

i'm planning to keep eating and thinning these and seeing what happens. should they get too tough to eat raw, a mess of mustard greens with bacon is the backstop plan.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

seattle plague rat posted:

dope gotta try this, what are they growing under in the pic?

it's a plant light I got from amazon with four 4-foot T5 bulbs. i have it set up on a rail shelf system so i can adjust the distance between the light and the shelf, and of course you can use boxes to adjust heights when you have different sized plants under it

it gets fairly warm, so i added a fan at the end pointed at the lights, which keeps the temperature down, and the jostling also helps the plants develop stronger stems. the fan is powered from a socket on the light, so it goes on and off on the same timer, which is convenient

i hung foil on the wall to so i can mist things without worrying about the paint, and also to reflect the light. i also made a little curtain for the front to keep from glaring into the kitchen, because it's quite bright

seattle plague rat posted:

also post them reccipes its finally outdoor oven season &i found the gas valve

i've never heard of outdoor oven season, but it sounds delicious!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Had a bunch of extra carrots I didn't know what to do with, but this recipe was a great use of them. I was out of eggs so used flax eggs as a substitute, and they worked out fine. They're huge, hearty breakfast muffins that you can stretch for several days.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/morning-glory-muffins.html

ooh, those look pretty dang good

also, i never heard of flax eggs before, gonna try that sometime, and chia eggs too! we're okay for eggs rn but who knows how long that'll last

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

mustard greens update:

still tasting great. the stems are thick enough now to be a bit tough for eating raw, but sauteeing them for a few minutes fixes that. i've been eating them mixed into scrambled eggs like you would spinach, and they're nice. gonna finish these guys over the next few days and start a new batch.

meanwhile, the beet greens are getting big enough to start eating:

right now they're wonderfully tender eaten raw and have a mild earthy beety flavor. these would go great with some goat cheese and a dash of balsamic vinegar

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Spoondick posted:

smoking a rack of pork ribs today... made a dry rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder and let the ribs sit overnight in the fridge

people spend lots of money on fancy smokers but it's not necessary to get good results, i use a basic weber charcoal grill... i fill a pan with water for humidity and thermal ballast and put that up against one side on the lower grill, light charcoal in a chimney starter and pour it in on the side opposite of the water pan, put the top grill in place, fully open the bottom vent and start with the top vent half open, adjust top vent until temperature reaches 200 to 250 then put the ribs in

once an hour i check temps, flip the ribs, add a few hickory chips and some charcoal to keep it going and adjust the top vent to keep it in temperature range, usually smoke them for 8 hours or so... when they're done i brush bbq sauce on both sides, let them rest 30 minutes, then slice the ribs

looking good! i use the same grill, but i do three at a time to save effort, using one of these racks:

my grill doesn't want to stay lit under 280, so i smoke baby backs for 3 hours, at which point they're not quite fall apart tender but just enough that the meat will come off the bone. i like to cut them in half and freeze, and then thaw them out by simmering on top of bbq beans. they get as tender as you like while the beans absorb the smoky pork fat and get super delicious

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

ryanrs posted:

How long does it take them to grow that big from seed?

i think those were at about three weeks, but you can start eating the mustards in earnest in two (and little microgreens in as little as a week as you thin them out)

the beets grow a little slower and now look like this:

while the mustard greens all got eaten with eggs like this:

and a new batch was started three days ago:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

nice pizza! i'm envious because my lunch is

a salad of tender beet greens, arugula, goat cheese and walnuts, with an aged balsamic vinaigrette

which, while very nice, is not very filling. might have to follow up with a hot dog or something

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

my brekky/lunch today was a gouda grilled cheese with homemade sourdough bread.

this looks like it was delicious

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

DarkEuphoria posted:

I just got a big pile of chanterelle mushrooms from a friend, and am not sure quite what to make with them!

Thinking about a mushroom supreme sauce, but am looking for other ideas as well, if anyone has any great mushroom recipes

oh man chanterelles are the best

if i had a big pile of fresh chanterelles i would use them as a topping on a white pizza, eat them butter fried with scrambled eggs, and top pork chops or steaks with them

dried chanterelles can go in stews and gravies but with fresh ones you want to really celebrate them

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

oh and pasta with a chanterelle cream sauce or alfredo with mild cheese. chanterelles love butter and cream, put some calories on those babies

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

donald trump's america

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

this is why i like to keep the fire outside, in a device specifically designed to contain it

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

obviously rinse your beans if they're going in a salad, don't rinse if you're making bbq beans or whatever

beans are not rocket science

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i accidentally broiled a $400 fish without cleaning it first and also it caught fire somehow plase halp am i using the wrong brand of diesel fuel

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

thick cut bacon is the biggest bullshit product on the planet. nobody wants that garbage. gently caress off.

preach

i can't even get thin cut at my grocery store here in texas and I swear the "regular" cut is what USED to be called thick cut like ten years ago

wrapping jalapeno poppers in a four millimeter layer of fat is hosed

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

You can make some pretty killer homemade bacon at home. Pork belly, salt, honey, spices, and a ziplocj bag.

Then you can cut it as thick as you want, you mongrel.

If I ever get around to building a cold smoker this will be a thing I'm gonna try right after smoking some fish, but for now, for me, bacon is an ingredient that comes from the store.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Giga Gaia posted:

im more tired of dishes. if i could just cook all day while someone cleaned up my filthy pans, heaven.

why not start a restaurant

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I mean, you're probably not going to like this, but Vitamix

you won't ever need to buy another blender, though. just the one will last you the rest of your life lol

yeah this is the truth

i went 15 years buying crappy blenders and never being happy with them and therefore never using them, but a good blender actually works and will do a soup or a bearnaise sauce or a margarita and it'll always just work

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

if you need fat in a hot soup, it really doesn't matter much what kind it is, since it'll be all melted and in a pureed soup emulsified anyway

i wouldn't try to push ghee on someone with dire allergies lol

e: also if you want the melting qualities of butter, unrefined coconut oil is fairly close but does taste of coconut a bit

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

I have been running some tests today; the fridge has a knob with numbers 1-5 on it, and if I set it to 2 it already starts freezing stuff in the fridge section (not the freezer)

do you really not have a thermometer that can measure a subzero temperature? a standard outdoor one should do the job

also a lot of electronic probe thermometers will go well below freezing even though that's not their usual use because why not

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Look at the pumpkin I bought at the farmer's market today

did they give you a discount or did you have to pay extra

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

It took half an hour but I managed to defeat the coconuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1d-fy0JaXA&t=230s

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

coconuts need the right tools to access, but then they're not hard, just drill two holes on opposite sides to first drain the coconut water, then put it on the ground and whack it with a hammer until it yields its delicious treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i think the safest way to dispose of a swan's heart without invoking a curse would be to send it to the queen of england to eat