Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love cooking, usually a mix of fresh and frozen poo poo. i'll make lots of sandwiches like BLTs, chicken fried steak, grilled cheese, phillies or reubens. dinners are lots of ny strips and baked potatoes, chicken alfredo, stir fries or just a blue cheese salad. i used to make ribs a lot since they're so easy, but i realized i'm not that into the taste as much. the only pork i really buy is bacon, and that's almost as much for the grease as the meat itself. beef stew is really easy to make and super good. real-rear end chili is a lot harder to make but is probably the best thing i do. this is my favorite recipe on the planet, note the lack of beans and even tomatoes. it's the best possible topping on cornbread or fritos

Doc Walrus posted:

Globalist Endgame Creamy Coconut Biryani

whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hot take: roma tomatoes are the best tasting and cheapest

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

help i can't stop making breakfast. i just made a giant skillet full of hash browns, sausage and scrambled egg i'm using for breakfast tacos, but now i'm thinking of using the leftover sausage for sausage patties. i have a green pepper that i'll cut into rings; i'll brown each side of the ring and then fry an egg in the middle. combined with a biscuit or english muffin, that's a dang good sandwich

also thinking about trying out my new black friday $7 waffle iron before i go to bed

Doc Walrus posted:

I thought the listeria risk was from leaving it on the counter overnight. Leaving cooked rice in the fridge overnight is considered standard practice for cooking fried rice.

yeah i even leave the lid off so it gets drier

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stir fry tip: buy a bag of MSG, it loving owns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh water crackers are so expensive but they're the best thing to eat with cheese

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i made salmon a few days ago. it was on sale for like $6/lb and it baked really, really well. made it similar to your first recipe

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so how much is that lil hunk of blubber

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

OK I get it it, I won't post any more fish.

frankly i didn't even know they farmed bluefin, or any other larger ocean fish. i thought we were still just on crawdads and tilapia, since that's all that's around here

also in your first post i thought you were potentially in japan at an illegal sale lol, but you'd have paid ten times the price

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twoday posted:

If you want to ball out on seafood, eat oysters and thereby encourage oyster farming, having more oysters in the seas filters out a lot of the ambient pollution and encourages a healthier overall biome

i can imagine they use different metrics for each type of seafood because there aren't a lot of studies or data, but that's still annoying for a standard of Worst Seafood

also yeah, all shellfish are absolutely amazing for the ocean environment

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

the secret to doing a $5 challenge is Stealing. cheers

have you done that in china yet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm the sort of person who makes big batches of stuff so I only have to cook twice a week and I've never had a problem with it.
For best results make sure to blend half of it and pour it back in, ends up super creamy despite containing exactly 0 cream.

this is a must for any potato soup. it's so good

but also add cream

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is garlic spicy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

are you my old roommate

you're implying you left this person alive lmbo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whoa

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

today's menu: BLTs, tacos, asian brussels sprouts, peanut brittle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have stuff for sausage balls too, but that's too much cooking

sausage balls own tho, they're extremely simple to make

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

Stew complete! It tastes like magic. And brandy.

has an apartment super or any stranger ever seen your desktop pic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

regular cooked spinach: awful

spinach in any other preparation: p good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emfive posted:

Seems like a 5 ounce smash cheeseburger with minimal accoutrements and a supermarket bun could be done for less than $4, even with decent ground beef (20% fat is pretty cheap even if it's not bulk factory-ground beef).

I mean it doesn't have to be two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun does it?

it's a good price point and easily attainable. i'll start with an eight pack of burger buns and see where I end up in cost:

buns: $2
2 lbs 80/20 chuck: $7
cheese: $2
veggies: $2
random stuff i use like bacon grease or butter, seasonings, condiments, etc: $2
electricity: $1

i can't think of anything else, and at 8 burgers that's two bucks per. $4 is pretty generous for a single entree, pretty good for a whole meal for one person

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone use packets or mixes? when i first started cooking i refused just so i could see how stuff is made, but just because of time i've shifted over to using lots of them. cornbread, gravy, taco seasoning, ranch dip powder, self rising flour, bisquik, waffle mix. i got it all now. i still cook a lot from scratch, but it's nice being able to go from zero to cornbread in like 25 minutes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Big Macs are 2 for $5 you c-spam mods.

it's a limited-time promotion, unlike poverty that only relents upon the sweet release of death

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm going to make chicken tostadas that cost exactly $.69

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That ricotta trick is super cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have a waffle maker and i think the end product is too soft, especially just going by the "it's done" light. do i leave 'em in there until they're crispy?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

okay, advanced question: why does the first pancake/crepe always suck

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a deadly balance

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hate modern "deconstructed" food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love cooking boring poo poo

the ny strip is huge, it turned out to be three servings or so except i have a fuckton of salad left. definitely under five bucks a serving

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never bought actual horseradish but i have a lil jar of sauce i use every time i make roast, looks like tahini

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

horseradish isn’t tahini they’re not even remotely similar

"hazelnut? those are eyes you loving dunce, not an indehiscent seed fruit"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that makes good stew-dippin' bread, buttered bread, and french toast when it goes stale

i'll slice the second half of the loaf and leave it for a few hours 'til it goes a bit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I work third shift so that was a late dinner

I've just started to get good at gravy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Or, you can brown the sausage, add flour to the drippings and saute a few minutes before gradually stirring in milk until it's at the thickness you want (I like wallpaper paste).

Yep. I brown the sausage and remove it from the pan. Usually theres not enough drippings, so I add a tablespoon of bacon grease and flour to make the roux. I dont cook that though, if you burn the flour it will turn out brown. Add the milk and bring to a boil, then its ready. Add salt and a fuckton of black pepper.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

the most righteous dinner ticket i ever cooked in 7 years on the line was a new york strip for guy who was in town to get open heart surgery in 2 days and requested no salt or seasoning of any kind whatsoever, but to baste that motherfucker in all the butter we had.

with the right kind of ears you could hear strains of the star spangled motherfuckin' banner wafting back through the flow hood as that gorgeous bitch swam in the saute pan.

I do strips in my cast iron, basted with half butter half bacon grease with garlic and black pepper. When it's done I scrape the skillet and use the drippings on a baked potato.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pizza dough is insanely easy to make by hand

however, I would strangle a puppy for a large teal kitchenaid mixer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

even if you had free infinite plastic, i'm not sure you could make fake rice that's cheaper than real rice

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

and before you ask me what the difference between an herb and a spice is; the difference is whether it was grown at the east or west of the silk road. i'm not kidding. thats literally it, thats the entire difference lol.

i never knew this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

sardines are NUMERO UNO

enjoy 'em while you can lol