Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
*back literally sore for 3 weeks afterward for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Stupid cheap plastic. Snapped one thing in two places with my baby Huey dummy strength

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
-Buys white lights so I can leave them up all year without them weathering like painted bulbs-

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bradzilla posted:

These suburban dad threads are always so good. So many sad and bitter middle aged goons.

Incel sour grapes

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
After installing 500ft of lights, I get the to very end to discover I'm 30 feet short of finishing the roof properly. Drive to 3 different home improvement stores in 2 different cities looking for an exact match to the bulbs I bought. No luck. I try a different brand, they're all made in China on the same assembly line anyway.

No... No... They're just a shade off. Just a shade... No... IT's fine it's...

I'm leaving work early tomorrow to drive to the Home Depot in Franklin. I know it's 2 hours away, but their website says they have them in stock and I don't have time to order them online for home delivery because if they send us the wrong ones we're back to square one, anyway!

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Charles Bukowski posted:

-Buys white lights so I can leave them up all year without them weathering like painted bulbs-

Hello fellow "I overpainted the preLED era clear christmas bulbs" goon. I hope you didn't make the same mistake I did by using spraypaint cans instead of paint brushes on the bulbs.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
* hangs 20 strings before checking they work *

gently caress

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
*pays Ramirez down the street fifteen hundred to do it*

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

is accidentally hanging yourself a thing with xmas lights? I didn't see any on google but have to imagine it's common

even if sometimes it's "accidentally"

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

500 good dogs posted:

is accidentally hanging yourself a thing with xmas lights? I didn't see any on google but have to imagine it's common

even if sometimes it's "accidentally"

Head first off the roof caused from "light headedness" is the optimal Google search

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

After installing 500ft of lights, I get the to very end to discover I'm 30 feet short of finishing the roof properly. Drive to 3 different home improvement stores in 2 different cities looking for an exact match to the bulbs I bought. No luck. I try a different brand, they're all made in China on the same assembly line anyway.

No... No... They're just a shade off. Just a shade... No... IT's fine it's...

I'm leaving work early tomorrow to drive to the Home Depot in Franklin. I know it's 2 hours away, but their website says they have them in stock and I don't have time to order them online for home delivery because if they send us the wrong ones we're back to square one, anyway!

Oh God this is me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

You're gonna get a letter from your Home OwO'wner's Association, they tend to notice things like this.

Probably not in this case IYKWIM.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
*Someone in the neighborhood paired the outdoor lights with the built-in bluetooth speakers to their phone or something and are using them to blare neo-Nazi speeches when I'm not home.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

dudeness posted:

*never took the Christmas lights from last year down so now I don't have to do anything*

This guy is living in year 3000 over here.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
*Throws a fit when the 4ft tall plastic, faded, light-up Santa my dad bought in 1986 disintegrates in my hands as I'm trying to replace the bulb while I'm on the roof. After the rage subsides, I sit with vacant thoughts up there for about 30 minutes as I start thinking of Jack Nicholson in The Shining and find myself laughing hysterically at every memory of that movie as the snow starts to fall.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

*Someone in the neighborhood paired the outdoor lights with the built-in bluetooth speakers to their phone or something and are using them to blare neo-Nazi speeches when I'm not home.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
*Did up a Die Hard-themed Christmas display outside my home. The police and the internet forced me to take it down as it was seen as offensive, disturbing and threatening.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

*outlines 5/8s of the roof with mixed strings of warm white and cool white LED icicle lights*

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
We still have a string up from like 4 years ago. maybe more I can't remember

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

*has no problems putting up lights, likes doing it*

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

bradzilla posted:

*has no problems putting up lights, likes doing it, is insane*

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
*Drinks on roof, enjoying hours of peace + quiet after it only took 20 minutes to hang the lights. Complain about sore back once I get down and take nap. (back not really sore)*

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
loving hell, Pauline. Where's me AC power converter? This loving house! gently caress off, Pauline!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bradzilla posted:

These suburban dad threads are always so good. So many sad and bitter middle aged goons.

i had easily the most insane christmas light dad growing up but didn't want to type it all out just to get owned by bradzilla

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hey Autumn, babe, can you toss me up the duct tape? Autumn? AUTUMN???? Jesus Christ where did my wife go?

*slowly climbs down tree while making exaggerated "Woah!" noises*

WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU? Oh, you're got bored and went inside? Did you think... did you MAYBE think you should have told me? I was stuck in the tree and I needed the loving DUCT TAPE to make sure that last string of lights stayed on the tree. So MAYBE, just MAYBE it would have been nice to know you were still alive out there!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph if it was up to me I wouldn't put a loving THING out for Christmas, but noooooo. We live in a loving society here where my wife just has to have a pretty house for Christmas. Well you know what? Do it yourself. I'm loving done, hail Satan, that's my thing now. Maybe I'll go hang a pentagram, how's that? Doot doot doot hail Satan and all his stuff, that's what I'm doing this year instead of hanging Christmas lights. Because I already know your sister is just going to BOMBARD us with pictures of her giant house and all those lights. How'd she get that house again, huh? Oh yeah, she loving spread her legs for some moldy old rich bastard. Jesus Christ I wish I could do that, I really do. I'd do it, too, I'd do it right now. If some rich man will have me, I'm here, I swear to God just take me right now.

Oh God honey I'm sorry, you know I love you. Don't.... please don't pack up the suitcase again. Please please please. Oh poo poo I think the kids are home, oh my God please don't let them see the suitcase, please babe PLEASE.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Oh look, children, the whole strand just went out. Fifty bulbs, one goes out, takes the rest out with it. Kids, sometimes I feel like this family is a string of Christmas lights

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

*pulls out scrap of paper with "design plans" for the lights hastily scribbled*

Thank God I did this last year, this was the smartest move I've ever made.

So this circle is the Santa... wait. Wait wait wait. The circle is the extension cord with 3 outlets? Why did I make that a circle? Oh wait, I see.... yeah, I put a little 3 in there. Okay so circles are extension cords. What's that triangle mean? Why didn't I make a legend here? Wait a minute, is this the tree or the light post? Oh my god that loving square is the driveway, not the house. Oh my God I completely hosed up. This piece of poo poo paper, the goddamn kids must have scribbled all over it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*is neighbor kid*

"Mister why do you have a fat butt?"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
just pretend this post is every joke from Christmas vacation

*looks up*

ah poo poo, beaten!!

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

extra stout posted:

i had easily the most insane christmas light dad growing up but didn't want to type it all out just to get owned by bradzilla

I used to work with a guy who looked like the clown from that Rob zombie movie and had the temper of a piss drunk Scotsman. He would take a week off before Thanksgiving to hang the 9000 strands of lights all over his house so it was visible from space.

He is the inspiration for this thread.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alan Smithee posted:

*is neighbor kid*

*farts in kid's face*

Kid's hair is blown back by the force of the fart

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I swear Margaret, one of these days I'll hang myself with these damned lights, and see how you like that!

*Slips and falls from the roof, ends up quadriplegic*

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

crispix posted:

I wear my special doin stuff cargo pants and jacket with all pockets on like John Goodman's in Big Lebowski and kneepads and steel capped boots and I enjoy having the opportunity to use my electronic-powered staple gun that makes a very fetching whizzing noise and I secretly pretend that I am riveting a space-ship of some kind in a futuristic setting

This is my favorite thing to do!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

*is neighbor kid*

Well son, sometimes people make mistakes in life, okay? Sometimes people decide to.... well, they decide to do something stupid in college. And maybe they don't get to finish college because they have to get married now. And then they end up working at their Father in Law's car dealership instead of getting that degree in accounting.

And maybe that car salesman works really hard, but he realizes that his father in law is basically just giving his daughter an allowance through that salesman's salary, so the salesman starts drinking a lot to deal with that. And then that kid? That kid who was born because GOD FORBID you put a child up for an abortion in 1992, that kid turns out to be a pretty big fuckup.

Sorry kid, you've heard that word before, don't lie to me. So that kid, that ruined his old man's life? He's still living at home. He's 26 and he's in that window right there! Because ol' Grampa spoils the poo poo out of him, just like his old lady! And dear ol' Daddy, who hosed up because he wanted his dick to tickle a little more, he's basically an indentured servant! You know what that is? It means that I have to drop everything to take care of my father in law, because he's convinced I'm a complete fuckup as a father and husband! And he's probably right! Because I'm too loving scared to quit a job I hate!

And maybe I drink a little too much to deal with that, and maybe I stress eat a bit, too. You'd do it too, if your 85 year old father-in-law was around you almost every hour of every day. Always judging, always "tut-tutting" every little thing I do. I've thought about hitting him with a tire iron, you know that? Some people dream about winning the lottery, I loving dream about murdering my father in law and being free. I'd be fine with rotting in jail, really I would. But I doubt any jury in the world would convict me when I told them the circumstances.

You know what Thanksgiving was like, kid? My fat loving wife, who hates me, just sat on her rear end and complained about everything. My father-in-law spit out the food I made and said it was disgusting. Then he flashed that big loving wallet and took everyone out to some fancy restaurant. He made me come, too. Everybody had a great time, oh they sure did! Except for me, because I just knew this was going to be a topic of conversation for months to come.

So forgive me, PLEASE, for having a fat butt? Because Christ knows I haven't earned a piece of cake every once in a blue moon.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
*opens bin full of hastily packed and heavily tangled lights*

"what kind of idiot put these away like this?!"

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I don't bother much with Christmas lights but I do all the heavy lifting putting out my parents' 50 year old nativity scene every year.

This year, I went to shift Mary over a few inches in the creche and, well, her head popped like a brittle plastic melon. Try explaining that one to your 71 year-old, very Catholic mother. "Mom, I, uh, decapitated Mary."

Better than last year, when my dad's utter lack of understanding wrt basic electricity resulted in me getting zapped by the damned star that had shorted out to its metal post. "NO DAD, YOU CAN'T JUST WRAP A COMPLETELY DRY ROTTED WIRE IN ELECTRICAL TAPE AND CALL IT A DAY!"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

goddam MILLENIALS

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Im the apo’stroph’e in dad’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

*eyes neighborhood kids as they ride by on their bikes with suspicion, mumbles under breath*