Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Basically I flew into Mexico (Cancun) about 11 days ago. As part of the trip, we crossed over to Belize to do snorkelling and crossed over to Guatemala to see Tikal. Then we'd head back in to Mexico and fly out from Cancun. I had to surrender my original FMM when we crossed over to Belize and was scammed with an exit fee, but that's beside the point.

When I crossed over into Mexico via Belize, the immigration officer only gave me 7 days on my FMM. I only realized this afterwards, which sucks.

My flight out of Cancun won't be for another 1.5 weeks or so. Which means I'll be basically overstaying the FMM.

Any idea on what happens when I try to fly out? Do I get fined or have to pay a fee? Everything I've read online has been so inconsistent or threads go into weird tangents. (Wtf TripAdvisor) Any insight would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Update on this, but a brief summary on the FMM (tourist card) first:

- I flew from Canada to Cancun, like all flights from the US/Canada to Mexico, the FMM is already paid for as part of the ticket

- When leaving Mexico into Belize, you're required to give up the FMM.

What happens here though, is that the border officials will scam you into paying for the FMM even though it's already paid for. It'll cost 533 pesos. No amount of arguing will prevent this other than a detailed receipt from your airline indicating that the Mexico tourist tax was part of the ticket price. The example given to us by the border official was a price breakdown of a United Airlines ticket showing an itemized fee for the airport departure fee. Which means the whole thing is bullshit considering the departure fee is NOT the Tourist Tax fee. Assholes.

- When entering Mexico via a land border, the border agent will give you a FMM card upon entry.

What's supposed to happen here is that the border agent is supposed to ask you how long you're staying in Mexico and they'll put that number (up to 180 days) on the card. If you stay less than 7 days, then the FMM is free. If you stay more than 7 days, the FMM will cost 533 pesos and will have to be paid either at the bank or the immigration office. Both will have a receipt and a stamp that you'd need to keep with your FMM as proof after you've paid. In my case, since I was coming in with a group of people in a bus, the border agent didn't even bother asking how many days I was staying and just gave me the "free" FMM and put 7 days on it. This is so that the line goes smooth and less questioning and paperwork for the guy, I guess. You are forced to deal with the consequences at another border or at the airport

- When flying out of Mexico, you're required to give up your FMM.

Since I now have a new FMM that only had 7 days on it, and I overstayed those 7 days since my flight was much later, I had to first go through the immigration office before I could check in to my flight. At the immigration office, if you're at a major airport, they're pretty lenient. It seems that as long as your overstay isn't any longer than 180 days (original amount of time the original FMM is typically given for), then they'll just charge you the price of the FMM at 533 pesos. They'll stamp it and give you a receipt that indicates you paid and you're to fly out that very day.

Overall, pretty lovely that I ended up paying for the FMM 3 times (one as part of the flight ticket, two as a border scam, and three when flying out) But I guess it's better than paying any other additional fine per day. This combined with Belize exit fees led to pretty expensive border crossings, but at least I had a great time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Couple weeks ago we were driving from Guanajuato to Mexico City to fly home and got pulled over by the state police (not the federales) and told that due to my excessive speed (:rolleyes:) I had to surrender the car registration and see the judge two days from then, despite the fact that we had a flight in four hours. We'd be responsible for the impoundment and towing of the rental vehicle plus court fees and a taxi to pick us up off the side of the highway and take us into CDMX.

Or...we could pay the fine right then. :wtc:

It was a shakedown and they took every peso we had (around 5300). Great trip, other than the horseshit at the end. Glad you made it through your encounter with Mexican bureaucracy corruption relatively unscathed.