Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

basic hitler posted:

That would rule. If Bernie got noninated and instead of it being a masturbatory coronation where delegates get replaced by actors for being too uppity, he uses it as a platform to sieze the party and loving threaten all the succ thats forced to clap and smile to the sincere cheering adoration of all delegates present

I've maintained for a while that the best way for Bernie to have a lasting legacy is for him to ostentatiously declare that he is the Democratic Party present and his platform, which is more or less the official 2016 platform, is what Dems stand for now and will stand for in the future.

Basically dare leadership to challenge him. Just lol if you think that Schumer and Pelosi are suddenly gonna grow a spine. Pelosi, if she makes Speaker, is gonna owe it to the progressive caucus and she knows they could take her out whenever. Schumer has no cred with voters and only still has the job because no one else wants to spend the next two years getting clowned on by McConnell.

Bernie's already out stumping for Dems nationwide who run on his platform and has literally nothing to fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the best part of the dem primary is every single thing trump says about whatever nominee will dominate the news for a week

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

anime was right posted:

the best part of the dem primary is every single thing trump says about whatever nominee will dominate the news for a week

this is my 2nd most look forward to part

the first is celebrating the ascension of 46th president, bernie "bernie" sanders

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Everybody fantasizing about Bernie seizing control of the Democrats to turn it into a social democratic party should look at the struggle within UK Labour. Corbyn is positioned to be the next PM and has made Labour the biggest party in Europe, but all the succ libs in the party are still fighting to the death to kick him out.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the UK labour party specifically had changed its rules and already had a structure that made something like a corbyn takeover possible. the democratic party is locked up wayyyy tighter than that and can hold out in a siege

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

THS posted:

the UK labour party specifically had changed its rules and already had a structure that made something like a corbyn takeover possible. the democratic party is locked up wayyyy tighter than that and can hold out in a siege

hey they're already calling AOC antisemitic for voicing less than enthusiastic support for israel

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

THS posted:

yeah but theyre doing it really badly and have gotten nowhere

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

I've maintained for a while that the best way for Bernie to have a lasting legacy is for him to ostentatiously declare that he is the Democratic Party present and his platform, which is more or less the official 2016 platform, is what Dems stand for now and will stand for in the future.

Basically dare leadership to challenge him. Just lol if you think that Schumer and Pelosi are suddenly gonna grow a spine. Pelosi, if she makes Speaker, is gonna owe it to the progressive caucus and she knows they could take her out whenever. Schumer has no cred with voters and only still has the job because no one else wants to spend the next two years getting clowned on by McConnell.

Bernie's already out stumping for Dems nationwide who run on his platform and has literally nothing to fear.

I wish Bernie was as cool as Corbyn is. :smith:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah but theyre doing it really badly and have gotten nowhere

And seriously, how would kicking Bernie out of the Democratic Party even work? If he holds elected office that is. poo poo, Zell Miller was a GWB cheerleader up until he retired and he was on TV all the drat time with a D next to his name.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

And seriously, how would kicking Bernie out of the Democratic Party even work? If he holds elected office that is. poo poo, Zell Miller was a GWB cheerleader up until he retired and he was on TV all the drat time with a D next to his name.

Yeah but they don't kick you out of the Democratic Party for liking GWB, ya dingus.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah but they don't kick you out of the Democratic Party for liking GWB, ya dingus.

In 2004 "Dubya bad" was literally all the Democrats could muster for a message. He wasn't cheerleading the Iraq War when it was starting up like most Dems, he was cheerleading Dubya after it all went to poo poo when the rest of the Dems had turned on him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azathoth posted:

In 2004 "Dubya bad" was literally all the Democrats could muster for a message. He wasn't cheerleading the Iraq War when it was starting up like most Dems, he was cheerleading Dubya after it all went to poo poo when the rest of the Dems had turned on him.

It was a joke about them normalizing GWB.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

It was a joke about them normalizing GWB.

:sweatdrop:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zell Miller challenged Chris Matthews to a duel on the air.

I just like to bring that up sometimes.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's gonna be Beto and frankly I'm perfectly okay with that. Make Bernie Senate Majority Leader.

pokemon go to israel and oppress palestinians

https://twitter.com/RepBetoORourke/status/1037785305393373184

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

docbeard posted:

Zell Miller challenged Chris Matthews to a duel on the air.

I just like to bring that up sometimes.

Nice. Chris Matthews is craven, confirmed.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's gonna be Beto and frankly I'm perfectly okay with that. Make Bernie Senate Majority Leader.

its funny how all the bad libs have avs pretending to be commies. fishmech, this dude

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ah gently caress you Beto, you made me regret voting for you instead of just writing in my dad or some poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's hard for me to hold AIPAC appearances against dems too much, bad as they are, because i really can't think of any prominent dem who doesn't kiss their ring at this point. even NYC's non-AOC progressive darling, Jumaane Williams, made a visit this year. it's catching up with dem voters at large but it's going to take a few years before that trickles up to the political class

anyway, my sister is all in on Ron Wyden because she thinks Bernie had his chance and he shouldn't run again after losing. Wyden's pretty drat good (he was the only senator to endorse Bernie), but he isn't going to make much of a dent in the field and i don't hold myself to arbitrary made-up rules

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's hard for me to hold AIPAC appearances against dems too much, bad as they are, because i really can't think of any prominent dem who doesn't kiss their ring at this point. even NYC's non-AOC progressive darling, Jumaane Williams, made a visit this year. it's catching up with dem voters at large but it's going to take a few years before that trickles up to the political class

anyway, my sister is all in on Ron Wyden because she thinks Bernie had his chance and he shouldn't run again after losing. Wyden's pretty drat good (he was the only senator to endorse Bernie), but he isn't going to make much of a dent in the field and i don't hold myself to arbitrary made-up rules

Going though the replies on that tweet apparently Beto is #4 on the list of congressmen and senators taking money from pro-Israel PACs, and he takes more than anyone else in the House of Representatives.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/recips.php?ind=Q05

e: Ted Cruz was the #1 Congressional Republican recipient of pro-Israel PAC money lol

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Nov 27, 2018

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

How far through the primary will the DNC make it before going bankrupt?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Going though the replies on that tweet apparently Beto is #4 on the list of congressmen and senators taking money from pro-Israel PACs, and he takes more than anyone else in the House of Representatives.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/recips.php?ind=Q05

e: Ted Cruz was the #1 Congressional Republican recipient of pro-Israel PAC money lol
really, everyone is going to suck rear end when it comes to israel, and it's just a matter of degree. that said, that's a pretty high degree, and i'd venture to say unacceptably so. he's trying to pivot left but he's gonna have to stop suckling off the kosher teat

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
We need to put in an effort to get people out of the Purity Test mindset when it comes to these candidates and get them to think pragmatically. There's an election to win.

Beto is alright. I appreciate his gradual shift to the center as of late.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Stonelegs posted:

We need to put in an effort to get people out of the Purity Test mindset when it comes to these candidates and get them to think pragmatically. There's an election to win.

im gargling and drowning in cum and blood

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

THS posted:

im gargling and drowning in cum and blood

put that on a hat and i'll fuckin buy it

hat has to be size 8 doe, cuz of my dis a bil a tee

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

the dnc can unilaterally decide that a candidate is sufficiently not democratic enough and not allow candidates like sanders to run in the presidential primaries. i doubt they would press that nuclear button for bernie but would do so for future bernie-like candidates

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

the dnc can unilaterally decide that a candidate is sufficiently not democratic enough and not allow candidates like sanders to run in the presidential primaries. i doubt they would press that nuclear button for bernie but would do so for future bernie-like candidates

on the other hand, watching the dems nuke themselves in a single night would be pretty fuckin lolz worthy

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

This would be about as politically viable as reinstating the draft or bombing Canada, so what I guess I'm saying is that there's only a decent chance of it happening.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Stonelegs posted:

I'm so sorry sir, you seemed to have wandered outside of your home. dnd is that way, right next to country club.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:bernget:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:bernget20:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its funny how all the bad libs have avs pretending to be commies. fishmech, this dude

Can we make CSPAM a kulak free zone

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
dekulakization in cspam NOW!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THS posted:

uk labour actually changed it's rules to make a corbyn takeover possible, because of massive hubris and an imagined outpouring of centrist support

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/fungumchum/status/1067281151016996865

oof

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
To my knowledge the Oklahoma Democratic Primary is mixed. Independents can vote Dem. I did in 2016 and it's the reason Bernie overcame a 12 point deficit to beat Hillary.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Either Bernie wins or someone more leftist wins (lol) or else it doesn’t really matter what the dnc does in 2022+

it owns (us)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what if the only person that can beat a billionaire politician... is a richer billionaire politician

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1067251692335493126

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Wow! President Bernie!