Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

Isn't there an energy thread?

There's a nuclear energy thread, where this came up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3916500&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post528366999

Also a physics thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781321&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

aniviron fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Even if literally real, it still doesn't work though, for the simple fact that going forward or backwards in time has no meaning, everything always moves towards entropy. True, you can flip the equations around, but this only works if you first assume everything now rolls backwards towards entropy. Which from our viewpoint would just be exactly the same as forward mode. Another point, we just found out anti-matter and matter are not exactly the same, which deflates this idea instantly.

You're right about this being unfalsifiable, but I'm afraid your wrong about it being unworkable. (it would not be unfalsifiable had it been shown false, would it?)

So in general there are three main kinds of "symmetry" at work here. Time symmetry is when your system works exactly the same forwards and backwards through time (has all the momentum reversed, basically), charge symmetry is when your system works exactly the same when all the charges are reversed, and parity symmetry is when everything works the same when the handedness is reversed. For anti-matter we used to think it required time symmetry to look identical to regular matter. We have since discovered that there is some subtle parity symmetry going on as well (and the recent discoveries feed into this which is why they were looking at this in the first place). Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPT_symmetry for more.

As far as we can tell, a full CPT reversed universe would be literally indistinguishable to a regular universe, and nothing we've yet discovered contradicts that.

So, with regards to the "mirror universe", there's a little confusion here between the perceptual arrow of time, and the nominal physical arrow of time. The general view is that the perceptual arrow of time (the fact that we remember the past and not the future), is due entirely to the past being low entropy and moving towards high entropy (some physicists dispute this their arguements are very weak).

So in the mirror universe, high entropy would be in the future and low in the past (according to our view of time). So any inhabitants of the mirror universe would have their entire perceptual arrow of time reversed according to our view. However, despite the perceptual arrow of time being reversed, the actual physical arrow of time hasn't been reversed, so the full CPT reversal is still intact.

So, what does all that mean for the mirror universe? Absolutely nothing. There's nothing making the mirror universe impossible, unless a competing theory that requires the universe to have an infinite past takes over (like eternal inflation). But we also don't need to assume the mirror universe exists either. It isn't needed for any of our current theories to work, and there's no way at present to prove it wrong. At present it's "not even wrong", just an amusing toy that might in the future be needed to balance an equation or else thrown out.

Sorry for the long post, I went on a CPT kick a few years back and wanted to get all that out.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 13, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Italian Elon Musk still have an account?

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Here's a neat video from PBS Space Time on the subject of the antimatter time-reversed universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2idut9tkeQ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kind of an interesting article about using AI to review radio telescope data for signs of other civilizations:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00258-z

It’s nothing terribly surprising, but this part is interesting:

quote:

Ma and his colleagues sifted through Breakthrough Listen observations of 820 stars, made using the 100-metre Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope. They built machine-learning software to analyse the data, which netted nearly three million signals of interest but discarded most as Earth-based interference. Ma then manually reviewed around 20,000 signals and narrowed them down to 8 intriguing candidates.

The search ultimately came up empty — all eight signals disappeared the second time the team listened. But the methods could be used on other data, such as a flood of observations from the MeerKAT array of 64 radio telescopes in South Africa, which Breakthrough Listen began using in December. The machine-learning algorithms could also be used on archived SETI data, says Ma, to seek signals that might previously have been overlooked.

The article seems vague on this point on purpose, so I’m guessing the answer is no, but would these 8 signals each potentially be something as interesting as the wow signal that was missed because nobody has looked at them until now, vs them being false positives from satellites or something? Them not repeating doesn’t mean they’re not candidate signals, just that they can’t be investigated further.

It reminds me of the end of Neuromancer, when the ai says it’s found evidence of another ai broadcasting in archived radio telescope data from the 70s.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I AM GRANDO posted:

The article seems vague on this point on purpose, so I’m guessing the answer is no, but would these 8 signals each potentially be something as interesting as the wow signal that was missed because nobody has looked at them until now, vs them being false positives from satellites or something?

betteridges law strikes again

lets talk about that lunar gateway tho, i'm honestly pretty impressed that artemis 1 got off the pad but nasa sticking a whole rear end space station in a weird rectilinear orbit within 21 months...? like, i guess????

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I AM GRANDO posted:

The article seems vague on this point on purpose, so I’m guessing the answer is no, but would these 8 signals each potentially be something as interesting as the wow signal that was missed because nobody has looked at them until now, vs them being false positives from satellites or something?

quote:

Regarding the nature of the rest of the events, most of them look like false positives associated with RFI signals. We have not exhaustively classified every single event and it is entirely possible that there are additional ETI-like signals that we have not picked up, including those that are too weak to be seen by human eyes. Other reasons as to why the false-positive rate is higher than in our validation process include overfitting of backgrounds. The diversity of the RFI environment and the brightness of the RFI signals mean that it is unavoidable that our model would sometimes focus more on the background than on the foreground signals. In addition, we do not have real ETI signals to train the model on, and instead have to rely on simulated signals that are injected to the sky backgrounds. Injection of signals might have altered the statistics of the snippets, introducing artefacts that were unintentionally learnt by the ML model.

"rest of the events" here means interesting signals that were not rejected for having likely unphysical frequency drift.

I'm afraid this is just Nature trying to drum up interest in a seemingly reasonable paper with incremental progress by plastering the press release with mentions of AI (a term the authors didn't use - they only said machine and deep learning, I presume in accordance with Nature Astronomy's style guide). The main advancement is using a more sophisticated neural neutwork architecture that reduced the false positive rate compared to whatever the state of the art was in previous papers, but they still had to manually classify over 20 thousand signals candidate signals despite having what I presume was a limited training set of potential ETI signals.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 31, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I realize I just resurrected this thread yesterday, but today youtube fed me this hour-long explanation of how insane Avi Loeb has become. It’s by a recent physics Ph.D. who has some nice stuff on her channel and is quite good (half of it is setup, and she gives a timecode for when the Loeb stuff starts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY985qzn7oI

I had thought that he was just a fraud doing bad-faith stuff to get famous and bilk rich morons, and there is some of that. But he’s also a genuinely unhinged crank who apparently churns out hundreds of garbage papers and shouts down Jill Tarter for not recognizing that he is the only person who has ever been serious about looking for aliens.

I only ever listened to his John Michael Godlier podcast appearances, where he seemed to behave himself, but he has had worse appearances, like with Joe Rogan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I realize I just resurrected this thread yesterday, but today youtube fed me this hour-long explanation of how insane Avi Loeb has become. It’s by a recent physics Ph.D. who has some nice stuff on her channel and is quite good (half of it is setup, and she gives a timecode for when the Loeb stuff starts):

I had thought that he was just a fraud doing bad-faith stuff to get famous and bilk rich morons, and there is some of that. But he’s also a genuinely unhinged crank who apparently churns out hundreds of garbage papers and shouts down Jill Tarter for not recognizing that he is the only person who has ever been serious about looking for aliens.

I only ever listened to his John Michael Godlier podcast appearances, where he seemed to behave himself, but he has had worse appearances, like with Joe Rogan.

Oof. I recognize him from the JMG videos, and he seemed eccentric, but mostly just enthusiastic about SETI and such, but boy, that kinda sucks, especially the appearance on Joe Rogan - ick.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i generally like john michael godier but it really irks me that he continues platforming loeb. even before this video (which i have not watched yet and will soon), loeb's ideas have sounded so fuckin crackpot to me and he really doesn't belong on a show like event horizon that usually features people who aren't off their fuckin rocker.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

You don't become a department chair at Harvard by being a crackpot

BUT

He does appear to have zoomed toward the weird end of the spectrum over the last several years since I was last in those circles. I also had hoped he was "just" a grifter, but I find myself wondering more and more.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's always sad when someone in his position turns what you think is a grifter but then you realize that's just what they are now, no grift.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mdemone posted:

You don't become a department chair at Harvard by being a crackpot

Fred Hoyle won nearly every award there is (and probably deserved a Nobel) and founded the Institute for Astronomy at Cambridge, which I gather was well after he had earned a reputation for being an incredible crank on a wide variety of topics.

Avi Loeb has certainly become a crank about aliens and SETI, and his Galileo Project sure looks grifty (as does NASA's vaunted UAP study team). That does not invalidate the work he did in other non-alien/SETI fields, and while he has a propensity for publishing a certain kind of highly speculative paper with napkin math, shotgunning improbable predictions to increase the odds of one of them may eventually prove to be correct, I don't think they're all or even mostly "garbage".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eXXon posted:

Fred Hoyle won nearly every award there is (and probably deserved a Nobel) and founded the Institute for Astronomy at Cambridge, which I gather was well after he had earned a reputation for being an incredible crank on a wide variety of topics.

Avi Loeb has certainly become a crank about aliens and SETI, and his Galileo Project sure looks grifty (as does NASA's vaunted UAP study team). That does not invalidate the work he did in other non-alien/SETI fields, and while he has a propensity for publishing a certain kind of highly speculative paper with napkin math, shotgunning improbable predictions to increase the odds of one of them may eventually prove to be correct, I don't think they're all or even mostly "garbage".

Can't disagree with any of that. I do think he probably got tenure/chair and thought "gently caress it, let's see what we can get funding for", to which the answer is: anything he and grad student army propose.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cat botherer posted:

Although a while back I read Golem XIV by Stanislaw Lem, where instead hyperintelligences draw inward and pretty much become catatonic.

https://rtraba.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golem-xiv.pdf

I took a while to stumble on this post but I wanted to sincerely thank you because that is one of the best goddamn things I ever read.

I printed it out and bound it, because apparently you can't buy it in English.

Read that poo poo. All of you, do it now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm doing a small game dev assignment for a university game dev course, it suggests for extra credit an accurately scaled solar system. My math or some assumptions of mine are off.

The default "sphere" object approximately fills a cube of 100 by 100 by 100 "cm". If the Sun is 110 times the size of the Earth, and the Earth is 11,600 Earths away from the sun, is the Earth "sphere" object 1,160,000 "cm" from the Sun "sphere"?

Is the 2D disc of the Sun's shape visible from the Earths orbit? Or just it's "brightness"? Because trying the above the sun object basically disappears and with a camera positioned next to the earth object the sun is now tiny. And I don't know if this means my scale is wrong or I'm not accounting for how bright the sun is in real life which is what makes it "visible"?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

The default "sphere" object approximately fills a cube of 100 by 100 by 100 "cm". If the Sun is 110 times the size of the Earth, and the Earth is 11,600 Earths away from the sun, is the Earth "sphere" object 1,160,000 "cm" from the Sun "sphere"?

Okay stop. Let's be more careful. When you say the Sun is 110 times the size of the Earth, you are referring to diameter. (It's actually closer to 109, but whatever.) Their difference in volume is larger by, you guessed it, 4/3PiR^3

Just put those suckers that 109x distance apart along the x-axis.

quote:

Is the 2D disc of the Sun's shape visible from the Earths orbit? Or just it's "brightness"? Because trying the above the sun object basically disappears and with a camera positioned next to the earth object the sun is now tiny. And I don't know if this means my scale is wrong or I'm not accounting for how bright the sun is in real life which is what makes it "visible"?

I'm not totally sure what you're asking here.

Yes, the sun subtends an angular diameter across the sky. Very close to the same as the Moon, by a spectacular coincidence.

Edit: oh I see. Yeah you're going to want to fix that

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Context pictures.

In the game engine our default sphere as I mentioned above has an approximate size of "100" units cubed. In this case Unreal by default uses cm.

With its default scale however being {1,1,1} along the XYZ axis's I scaled up the sun sphere like so:

You can kinda see the initial positions I put the Earth and its Moon to the left, which is pretty fun to see.

However when viewed from the Earth's perspective it's clearly wrong:

The sun is dangerously too close clearly? As is the moon.

With the realization that the Position in the scene is not in some normalized unit with respect to object space like in Unity3D (where the default Cube's 1,1,1 scale also corresponds to its size and thus moving 1 unit along the X axis moves it 1 cube's width away) but is in cm I multiplied the X-axis location by 100 from 11,600 to 1,160,000.

Does this seem correct?

This looked less reasonable on my laptop but I think this is still wrong? The sun seems kinda tiny when IIRC the sun should seem from our perspective about the same size as the moon with the naked eye from the Earth, but from "orbit" where the camera is sitting it seems too small?

e: I went and moved the moon to be what my math implies to be the correctly scaled distance away from the Earth and from this perspective its "size" seems to be similar to the sun, which seems reasonable from what I've googled, but I'm still not sure if this is "right", or if part of the problem is the sun isn't like realistically emitting which is why it still seems small?

ninja edit forgot link.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 3, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Read my post again. The radius of the Sun is 109x the radius of Earth.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mdemone posted:

I took a while to stumble on this post but I wanted to sincerely thank you because that is one of the best goddamn things I ever read.

I printed it out and bound it, because apparently you can't buy it in English.

Read that poo poo. All of you, do it now.

Lem has loads of amazing stuff that explored themes like this and other really far sighted stuff, highly recommend pretty much whatever seems interesting to you. Solaris (what finding alien life may actually look like) is my personal favorite, with Return From the Stars (basically The Forever War but without the war) a close second. Going through his stuff is funny because it's half fun romp and half really serious and somber Le Guin style philosophical exploration using scifi as a contradiction forcer

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mdemone posted:

Read my post again. The radius of the Sun is 109x the radius of Earth.

To be clear as I was typing my post up as you posted yours; the assignment I was given said "110" so that's what I put, putting it to 109 though doesn't seem to answer my question though, or seem to solve my problem. The sun's perceived size from the same camera position doesn't change which makes sense with these distances and scales involved; the problem is reconciling the effect/view I'm getting in my scene with pictures like these:

Which maybe imply to me that the Sun and Moon should be appearing much larger from our "camera"?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Lem has loads of amazing stuff that explored themes like this and other really far sighted stuff, highly recommend pretty much whatever seems interesting to you. Solaris (what finding alien life may actually look like) is my personal favorite, with Return From the Stars (basically The Forever War but without the war) a close second. Going through his stuff is funny because it's half fun romp and half really serious and somber Le Guin style philosophical exploration using scifi as a contradiction forcer

I had only read a handful of his fantastic works and found them amazing

However that Golem XIV is next level.

I have this to read soon:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

On the face of it, Lem's His Master's Voice is most about the topic of this thread (the Fermi paradox), but it's also most about humanity in the quintet of human-alien-contact. Fiasco is the most drawn-out, in-your-face scenario for why we just cannot make contact, although that one is still also very much rooted in the Cold War paradigm.

It's all great stuff, great stuff.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Whew I'm immediately re-reading Golem XIV and it is loving outstanding. Like way beyond the realm of what the futurists were thinking in 1981.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mdemone you've convinced me to move it to next in line in my queue, to be honest I was shocked I hadn't read it already, thanks for the reminder.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The first picture is clearly cropped to a narrower field of view than typical human vision (source: look at the moon) or whatever your game engine defaults to, whereas the second one is far too saturated to gauge where the edge of the sun's photosphere is.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Stanislaw Lem was so far ahead of his time that I think we need to consider the possibility that he *was* an alien.

… jk, but drat, his brain was on a different level. For example, one his books consists entirely of reviews of books that don’t exist (“A Perfect Vacuum”).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chicken Butt posted:

Stanislaw Lem was so far ahead of his time that I think we need to consider the possibility that he *was* an alien.

… jk, but drat, his brain was on a different level. For example, one his books consists entirely of reviews of books that don’t exist (“A Perfect Vacuum”).

quote:

Lem singled out only one[46] American science fiction writer for praise, Philip K. Dick, in a 1984 English-language anthology of his critical essays, Microworlds: Writings on Science Fiction and Fantasy. Lem had initially held a low opinion of Philip K. Dick (as he did for the bulk of American science fiction) and would later say that this was due to a limited familiarity with Dick's work, since Western literature was hard to come by in Communist Poland.

Dick alleged that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion, and wrote a letter to the FBI to that effect.[47].

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

To be fair, Stanislaw never had a satellite beaming thoughts into his mind, so mister Dick had a leg up on that regard.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rappaport posted:

To be fair, Stanislaw never had a satellite beaming thoughts into his mind, so mister Dick had a leg up on that regard.

Dick was also on all the drugs, whereas Lem's work always gave the impression that no he really just naturally was that weird.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Dick was also on all the drugs, whereas Lem's work always gave the impression that no he really just naturally was that weird.

He lived under the Nazis and the Soviets, give the man a break.

I guess he rarely wrote female characters? And when he did, it was unfortunate.

Mister Dick had no troubles writing ladies, but it's a bit hit and miss.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rappaport posted:

He lived under the Nazis and the Soviets, give the man a break.

I guess he rarely wrote female characters? And when he did, it was unfortunate.

Mister Dick had no troubles writing ladies, but it's a bit hit and miss.

I didn't mean it as a bad thing.

But yeah his infrequent women characters rarely worked out well.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I didn't mean it as a bad thing.

But yeah his infrequent women characters rarely worked out well.

I suppose that'd be a thread all its own, "list the weird sci-fi authors you read as a kid". Lem wouldn't really make the grade. We have Heinlein (whose weirdest works I admittedly had to read in English because whoo boy was no one touching that poo poo), Asimov who spent a lot of time ponderously writing about bathrooms, I guess Clarke by himself was okay but he paired up with Gentry Lee and that was a trainwreck.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The whole era is pretty grim in that regard, but Hari (Solaris) at least had a lot more going on compared to Asimov's non-Great Men, and don't even get started on the Heinleins. A lot I think weren't terribly interested in people compared to the messages or themes the story was exploring, which is part of the reason why Le Guin stands out so much even accounting for her GOAT status.

In fact I think Asimov got worse about them over time but that may be just be the truly dreadful Foundation and Earth influencing things.

PKD was a halo zone thing, where few drugs was boring (Man in the High Castle), too many drugs was just rambling (Valis), but the just right amount of drugs was some of the best stuff in the genre (Ubik, Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep)

I used to think I had a good handle of Clarke's whole deal, but then I read Childhood's End

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

All of the Elijah Baley novels had things about bathrooms. It was a thing. And also he and the Solarian lady had a thing, and then she had a thing with robots and ugh.

I forgot Larry Niven in my post, Ringworld has a bunch of problematic ideas. And then the sequels veer into the absolute awful with the protectors.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pohl's Gateway series also started bad in this regard, before getting quickly worse

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You know what? I only know that from the game series (yes, and gently caress off), and from what I gather it did not go quite into the deep end the books did.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the last non-anime scifi I felt like I could like without reservation was the Expanse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

part of the reason why Le Guin stands out so much even accounting for her GOAT status.

The funny thing to me about Le Guin as an author is that a lot of her best works are in a very significant way her taking another author's whole oeuvre and doing it better. Like, The Dispossessed came out shortly after The Moon is a Harsh Mistress; Lathe of Heaven feels like a response to Dick; Earthsea feels like a response to Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Culture novels sidestep I think by being deeply strange and just having human sexuality be a polyamorous free for all since everybody is genetically engineered to be a sex god.

The Expanse books were good as I recall at least, one of the most well developed and terrifying characters was an Indian grandma. You had her, Amos, Doomgal, and a bunch of whiners. Not sure if the show kept to that.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The funny thing to me about Le Guin as an author is that a lot of her best works are in a very significant way her taking another author's whole oeuvre and doing it better. Like, The Dispossessed came out shortly after The Moon is a Harsh Mistress; Lathe of Heaven feels like a response to Dick; Earthsea feels like a response to Tolkien.

I believe it, she was an anthropologist if not by training then by growing up with them as parents, and when she saw an improvement could be made I'd struggle to think of an instance where she wasn't proven right, usually because her whole thing was building amazing worlds and very real people to populate them. If you can do that you're set.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2023