Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Rollo returned! Old and worn down but trying to play both sides between Ivar and Bjorn!

Bjorn might be Rollo's son, not Ragnar's! Bjorn acknowledges it's possible and almost killed him in a rage for supporting Ivar.

Heahmund convinced Lagaertha, Bjorn, and Ubbe to flee to England, where he promised them protection.

The good History Channel show is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Was wondering if there was going to be a thread or anything for this. A lot of people bailed after Ragnar. The ~family drama~ stuff seemed to peel off what was left.

I'm staying with it to bitter end but yeah, they probs should have focused on Ivar and the Great Heathen Army in England and Bjorn in the Med. instead of making them background things.

It was a good start/pick-up though. Rollo's come so far. :cheers: And Harald some how keeps getting cooler as he goes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah nice, you made a thread. I debated making one yesterday, but the quality of the show dipped so much a few episodes before the midseason finale and the interest seemed very low last thread.
I think the show managed to keep it's steam after Ragnars death just great for a few episodes, but then some really very writing decisions started to put me off it. Chief among them being Ivars character being super inconsistent and the abortion of the Mediterranean plot. They spent so much time hyping that up and Bjørn was there for like 2 episodes lol.

Interesting that Bjørn might be Rollos, did we have any foreshadowing for that? I can't remember anymore.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 30, 2018

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I thought the premiere was...okay-ish? The Rollo is Bjorn's Ironborn father was a bit much, but I'll roll with it.

Having binged the 3rd season of Last Kingdom it feels a bit inferior, plus they keep, keep, keep doing stupid sideplots rather than focusing on a key player. And with Ragnar gone there's no one that really has the same presence, save Rollo or Bjorn.

Also, I hope Iceland Edge kills the unbelievers and Floki and creates the Althing to replace him.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm holding off on this until I see peoples' impressions of these first few episodes. I really ended up hating the last half of the first part of this season, so hopefully it turns around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aethered is going after the crown isn't he. He's going to ally with the church people.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Suddenly Lagerthas hair is white and Ivar can mostly walk with no real issues.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

well, it's definitely a thing I watched. just seems aimless now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This show can't have enough crazy blondes

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Dongattack posted:

Interesting that Bjørn might be Rollos, did we have any foreshadowing for that? I can't remember anymore.

I wanna say back in S1 they hinted at Rollo/Lagertha having had a relationship but it wasn't more than a scene or two. Or maybe Rollo justed wanted a relationship and was pining...can't really recall.

Also thought white hair Lagertha was some vision thing like they had been doing with the other characters but nope, she's just old now I guess.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I remember he was pining, but i think she categorically rebuffed him, a retcon i guess. (i havent actually watched the episode yet)

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 30, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's a retcon and I hate it. It really takes away from Lagertha's justified and righteous fury at Ragnar for cheating on her with Aslaug and continues the eroding away of her character this show began when she killed Aslaug.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Viridiant posted:

It's a retcon and I hate it. It really takes away from Lagertha's justified and righteous fury at Ragnar for cheating on her with Aslaug and continues the eroding away of her character this show began when she killed Aslaug.

agreed. i didn't care for it one bit and it erodes all of her character depth around the whole Ragnar/Aslaug mutli-season arc and just makes her a murderous hypocrite

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well also Lagertha’s taste in men, Ragnar included, has always been seriously lacking. Remember Kalf? And who was the lovely Jarl she was with before that? So at least that’s consistent. Granted she owned both those dudes in the end but still she chose them in the first place. I get that’s a part of her story, but when they shove in a resurrection of some abandoned thread of a story with her and Rollo being involved romantically and turn it into some Maury Povich baby daddy drama poo poo, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really couldn't care less about the whole Floki plotline, it just seems so pointless and unrelated to the main storyline. It sucks because Floki is such a great character and he's so wasted on some weird settlement drama that goes nowhere and has nothing to do with anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Floki will probably come back in the next episode and the whole thing will be forgotten like the adventure in Spain

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I try to keep watching this but its pretty bad now

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Viridiant posted:

This is how I feel too. It's super lame and not needed at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone still care about this show? I like the guy playing Alfred at least. He starred in a great movie called Sing Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Erghh posted:

A lot of people bailed after Ragnar.

Good move.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really couldn't care less about the whole Floki plotline, it just seems so pointless and unrelated to the main storyline. It sucks because Floki is such a great character and he's so wasted on some weird settlement drama that goes nowhere and has nothing to do with anything.

I think they are trying to show the settlement of Iceland a'la the sagas I guess, but they have too many irons in the fire. What would have been just killing Floki off looks like it turned into an "Oh poo poo, we just killed off the main character and lots of people like Floki so we better figure out how to keep him alive" kind of moment and now it's going nowhere because they are spending too much time showing too little time pass.

What I see overall, is a whole lot of nothing going on. Just a bunch of Norsemen sitting around talking about ambitions and the only plotline I really want to follow with any fervor is Lagertha and Bjorn and co. back in England because Alfred is involved. Admittedly I haven't read the sagas, but it seems like it's following what the sagas say, so everything going on is portrayed as what the Danes and Norse said happened. Which is fine in the end, but drat something needs to pop off. What could have, and should have happened, was the great heathen army running around wrecking England and installing Danelaw everywhere while Alfred is still young and adjusting to kingship, instead we have just a bunch of nothing at all happening back in Kattegat while Ivar beats his dick to the power teat, Floki does nothing on a volcanic island, and Lagertha and Bjorn do nothing while Heahmund ends up going Viking more than the actual Vikings.

Sigh. I want this to be good, and against my better judgment I'll keep watching in the probably vain hope that something will happen, but right now I'm super disappointed that I waited like a year for what isn't really even a new season, in which nothing happens.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

life is killing me posted:

Sigh. I want this to be good, and against my better judgment I'll keep watching in the probably vain hope that something will happen, but right now I'm super disappointed that I waited like a year for what isn't really even a new season, in which nothing happens.

Hey, we got confirmation the Seer still exists :yayclod:

But yeah, a couple of weeks into vikings and we're pretty much right where we were at the end of the premier.

The more I think about the Floki stuff the more it bothers me. There's just nothing there but looking and lamenting...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ivar, you’ve gone totally nuts, fella.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ivar is boring. Finehair is boring. None of them hold a candle to Ecbert or even Aethelwulf as antagonist. Just change the name of the show to The Last Kingdom.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ivar, could you BE any creepier

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So who's gonna be Ivar's sacrifice? My money is on the Seer

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Was this show always bad but the main cast was so good I didn't notice?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can't believe they brought back Magnus.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Always room for more plot twists and such man, always room for more.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This show is so lost in the woods now I don't know if it can be saved. But they should take a page from Game of Thrones and start kilkibg/removing characters. And stop adding new ones. Anytime they kill anyone off there is someone new I don't care about. Focus back on a few of the Vikings (Bjorn is probably the strongest character is the show now without Ragnar) and dump the other stories (Mercia court, Iceland).

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Yeah, part of vikings appeal was that a) you had a distinct crew and b) when they said they were going to do something they just went and did it.

"Hey guys we're going to raid England," boom next episode the gang's in England wrecking poo poo. Now it's just kinda crawled off all over. I get they wanna do a "Sons of Ragnar vs. Sons of Athelstan" thing but ehh...

If they had even just kept things on Bjorn you're still doing a saga of the family Lothbrok thing that would work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm still watching this. It's episode 15 of season 5 and I still don't know where the story is going. Nothing of consequence happened yet.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Pretend the volcano erupted and drop the Iceland scenes.
Get Rollo back in, probably by casting his son William the conquerer and doing that plot.
Actually use Bjorn for things.

Show fixed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still watching this. It's episode 15 of season 5 and I still don't know where the story is going. Nothing of consequence happened yet.

Well, Heahmund died.

But all he did was be a creepy bishop and kill a dude in a church and bam he’s back in Alfred’s inner circle

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bjorn did a sweet evade roll in that battle. I cared more about that than the entire battle. Also Judith is a terrible actor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Aethelred’s head sure did get smacked on that table. Goddamn.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

drat, Judith.

I guess no one is watching anymore?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There's really no point

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I'm still watching but...well, as I have started so shall I finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

John F Bennett posted:

drat, Judith.

I guess no one is watching anymore?

I am. The artsy battle last episode was sweet and Judith poisoning was wtf. I still hate her acting though.