Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

I do hope they end up putting out a non-"Scorpion" Coyote Tan grip. They've said the price will be around the TXG module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dema posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XDS1quSkI

Aluminum P320 XCompact lower. Need.

Stoked about this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stoked about this.

One's already existed for a while, but Sig's just looks better and sounds like it'll be cheaper: https://www.icarusprecision.com/custom-rifle-parts

I wonder if this is the reason the P320 Alpha still hasn't been released.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

What's the expected lifetime of the coating on phosphated barrels? My Mk25 is south of 3000rds and there's noticeable shine on the inside top of my slide near the ejection cut-out, and along the top and bottom of the barrel.

I know I can keep the gun in good shape with regular cleaning and CLP coating on the high-wear areas, but it's disappointing when the extra weather resistance was part of the ~25% premium over the base P226R and nearly 100% premium over the base P320.

Since those are probably two of the most serious parts on the gun and I'm in Canada, sending them for re-finishing isn't very practical.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Coating wear on the outside is entirely dependent on the parts fit. Some will get witness marks in a few hundred rounds, some will still look new after 10,000.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I thought I'd somehow scraped it off with a bronze brush. It's not like I'll be taking this gun out on the ocean, but the point of the premium price was that I could.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 12, 2020

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Shumagorath posted:

I thought I'd somehow scraped it off with a bronze brush. It's not like I'll be taking this gun out on the ocean, but the point of the premium price was that I could.

You can always hit up Sig and bitch about it politely. I know when the X5 Legion came out people were pissed because the loaded chamber indicator shot gas residue all over the slide mounted optic. They were willing to swap out barrels for free if you contacted them. Worth a shot.

That said, the tighter the lockup the more accurate the gun so it might not be a bad thing if parts for together super tight.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Has anyone tried to deal with them directly from Canada?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

the P stands for Pink

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Late review, but the Grayguns pre- and over-travel adjustable triggers for the P-series are excellent, and everyone else making adjustable triggers should be taking notes. (Looking at you, Beretta.) The adjustment screws/surfaces are robust and well thought out.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I have an X-Carry and bought a Xfive Legion. The 17rd mags from the X-Carry donít seem to fit into the XFive correctly. I saw the Taran Tactical base plates say they donít work with the carry models for some reason. Do I have any other options or do I have to buy the Legion base pads to get cross system functionality?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Boner Wad posted:

I have an X-Carry and bought a Xfive Legion. The 17rd mags from the X-Carry donít seem to fit into the XFive correctly. I saw the Taran Tactical base plates say they donít work with the carry models for some reason. Do I have any other options or do I have to buy the Legion base pads to get cross system functionality?

If I remember correctly, there are two different factory standard base plates. The ones that say "SIG Sauer" on them won't fit the Legion frames, but the ones that just have the SIG logo on them should.

Unless I'm conflating that with mags in a regular frame to an X-frame.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

infrared35 posted:

If I remember correctly, there are two different factory standard base plates. The ones that say "SIG Sauer" on them won't fit the Legion frames, but the ones that just have the SIG logo on them should.

Unless I'm conflating that with mags in a regular frame to an X-frame.

I do remember something about the "SIG Sauer" ones having compatibility issues with the X-frames.

My base plates are the new "SIG" ones. I just think it won't work. I emailed Sig so hopefully they will also have an answer. Kind of sucks not to be able to swap mags between guns though.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Boner Wad posted:

Kind of sucks not to be able to swap mags between guns though.

You can just swap baseplates and make them all compatible.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Boner Wad posted:

I do remember something about the "SIG Sauer" ones having compatibility issues with the X-frames.

My base plates are the new "SIG" ones. I just think it won't work. I emailed Sig so hopefully they will also have an answer. Kind of sucks not to be able to swap mags between guns though.

So the old base plates were the circular notch version on the bottom of the magazine. The new ones are square notch. The big difference is that there are more material on the side (see arrow) of the old style mags. They weren't designed to clear the mag well on the Legion. You can bubba the mag base with a dremel and they'll fit or so I've been told.

I just sold all the 17rd mags and got 21rd extended mags. Selling the last batch of 17 and 15rd mags here in a bit on the EE.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I heard back from Sig. Iím surprised they didnít try and sell me Legion base pads. They are a dollar less than the Henning ones.

quote:

Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer.

The 21 round magazines will work without issue with the magwell as the magwell was designed for use with the 21 round magazines, but the 17 round magazines will not work with the magwell because of the width of the basepads. A company called The Henning Group does make conversion baseplates for the 17 round magazines that will allow them to be used with the magwell.

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1291104&CAT=10068

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

By Sig's own exclusivity garbage they can't sell you any without the Legion tag on your account.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

You're better off selling the non-compatible ones and buying new mags at that price tbh

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Iím trying to figure out my best route for a full-size 9mm that I can shoot well. Iíve got a P226 that I bought around 2009 and it was my first center fire semi auto. Iíve always loved the gun, but Iíve never shot it great. And for a long time I didnít shoot much or ever develop an actual skill set.

Fast forward to moving out of California a couple years ago and Iíve been shooting much more (at least once a month now) including a 3 day defensive hand gun class with it (~1,000 rounds).

Since then Iíve really focused on grip and trigger pull. Lots of dry firing and my accuracy has increased, but not to where I wanted yet.

Then this summer I bought a CZ Custom PCR for a new CCW. Iím instantly running circles around my P226. For example on a 9x15Ē steel silhouette at 18 yards Iíll land 50-70% of my shots with the SIG and the PCR is near 100%.

Is it more likely that I naturally shoot CZs better or is it the custom work or both?

Basically Iím trying to decide if I should get an action job done on my P226 or sell it and get a CZ SP-01 tactical. I just want a full-size DA/SA that I can at least shoot as well as my compact. And it was honestly kind of jaw dropping how much better I instantly shot the custom CZ. Outside of an AR it was my first experiment with a really good trigger.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How much trigger time do you have (both real and dry fire) on each pistol? I'm always skeptical of "naturally" shooting better with one gun than another, but if you have put a lot more reps on the CZ that could explain it.

That said, if you like the CZ more stick with the CZ.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I was shooting the CZ better the first time I took it out. Itís just so easy to pull the trigger without sights moving with the action job (again, this is a CZ Customs gun). Iíve got much more trigger time on the SIG.

I also forgot to ask, and why I posted in the SIG thread: Does anyone have experience with an action job on one? Iím completely up for doing it if people have seen great improvement.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 9, 2020

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I was shooting the CZ better the first time I took it out. It’s just so easy to pull the trigger without sights moving with the action job (again, this is a CZ Customs gun). I’ve got much more trigger time on the SIG.

I also forgot to ask, and why I posted in the SIG thread: Does anyone have experience with an action job on one? I’m completely up for doing it if people have seen great improvement.

I don't have any experience with action jobs, but I was deeply invested in Glock and shot my buddy's Sig P320 X5 with a Gray Guns competition trigger - it was night and day different. I sold all my Glocks and bought a P320 Pro and got the trigger put in. Trigger pull is a light 3lbs~.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I'm a new-ish shooter with my own P226 and there absolutely will be guns that "just work" better for you even accounting for that blissfully ignorant first mag where you don't know the trigger's response curve. There are lots of things you can do with a P226 trigger before you start looking to dump it for another model but if it's night and day don't feel like you're stuck with it; resale should be decent.

Being in Canada I haven't done any custom work on the gun because I'd essentially need to do it myself.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Thanks guys. I think Iíll give the Grayguns ELS trigger and SRT kit a try before I decide to move on. And maybe a 17lb mainspring. I have a 19lb one in right now.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

I own both a P226 Legion and several CZ Shadows. A tuned CZ will always run circles around a tuned Sig.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Can't shoot a P226 to save my life. At least, I was terrible with the one I shot a few magazines through. Was weird.

Wonder how a tuned CZ 75 compares to a tuned Beretta 92. I've rented a few 75 Bs, loved them, and own a 92fs that's super easy for me to shoot.

Probably get a baller Langdon Tactical at some point.

Shop down the road had a pristine used Sig P210 Target that I was thinking about. Someone else grabbed it first though. Would love to try one of those.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

dema posted:

Can't shoot a P226 to save my life. At least, I was terrible with the one I shot a few magazines through. Was weird.

Wonder how a tuned CZ 75 compares to a tuned Beretta 92. I've rented a few 75 Bs, loved them, and own a 92fs that's super easy for me to shoot.

Probably get a baller Langdon Tactical at some point.

Shop down the road had a pristine used Sig P210 Target that I was thinking about. Someone else grabbed it first though. Would love to try one of those.
I'm not a high level shooter, but I have shot tuned versions of the CZ-85 (by CZ Custom) and the Beretta 92 (by Langdon Tactical).

IMO, the DA trigger on the -85 was smoother, and the over-travel adjustment on the CZ trigger is by default better than the absolute trash that is the Beretta drop-in adjustable trigger. The single action triggers are so close that it's hard to meaningfully compare them. I can't recall if one has better reset than the other. That said, they're both really good triggers, and if you're putting down cash for a tuned pistol I would not make it the deciding factor compared to the rest of the system, i.e. are you a safety or decocker person?

I personally settled on Beretta for a few reasons, which may not all be relevant to you:
-I'm a decocker person (although I prefer the Sig frame decocker.)
-Nostalgia: it was my service weapon and the first pistol I shot expert on.
-Better availability of Beretta models in California, especially railed models without a mag disconnect or LCI
-Reliability: The CZ-85 suffered from premature lock-back, where the bullets in the magazine would shift forward under recoil and trip the slide lock before the magazine was empty. On the other side of the coin, I've shot a lot of rounds through 92-series guns and the only stoppage I've ever had was one in a 40 cal gun with a Mec Gar aftermarket extended mag.
-The new Langdon red dot solution is incredibly slick.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Good info, thanks. I converted my 92fs to decocker. Happy with that manual of arms.

And yeah, Langdon's red dot setup is what has renewed my interest. Love the Roemo1Pro on my XCompact and Holosun 507k on my Mark IV.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I went and did a side-by-side comparison between my CZ-75 and my Beretta 92: the reset on the CZ is slightly more tactile, reset distance is about the same, didn't bother to measure. I've not tried Langdon's improved trigger bar, which allegedly shortens the 92's reset.

I haven't had any problems with short stroking the Beretta in single action. Although I don't try to ride the trigger just out to the reset point, I can run it as fast as I can get the sights back on target.

(I personally think my West German P226 with the SRT and Grayguns trigger is a little better than both in terms of reset. As much as I like the 92, I probably would have ended up with a railed 226 with an optics cut if such a beast were allowed in California.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Relatedly, does anyone know where to find a Surefire MR14 rail adapter or equivalent that isn't Recover railed grips?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Standalone AXG grip is in-stock, black and medium size only: https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-axg-carry-medium-grip-module.html

That's too rich for my blood for just a grip module, but some of you might not be as bothered.

Also, so much for "it'll be cheaper through distributors": https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-8900063.html

~10% discount.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 22, 2020

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.

I'm really going to miss my Sig Sauer MPX Gen 2 8" 9mm, I really enjoyed this weapon with a Sig Romeo 5 RDS and simple tac light. It was accurate, easy to shoot, and most of all just plain fun. Got it for $1500 all together and now that I'm moving to Amsterdam, I'm having to get rid of all my weapons, but this is the one I'll miss the most.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dumping some old posts from the old sig thread and the old sig rifle thread here for someone who was looking for these rifles:

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're really solid rifles that SIG cut one too many corners on. The handguards that come with the 556 are complete junk and add significantly to the weight of the rifle. It's really obvious that they made up for using some really brittle, garbage plastic (they crack easily) by making them overly thick. The SIG USA manufactured stocks are a cruel joke made of similar lovely plastic. If you get a 550-profiled stock the sights sit just high enough to be a little obnoxious. If you get one of the old 556 lowers the sights sit at the correct height, but then you're using AR accessories on a non-AR rifle with a fake buffer tube which has always seemed kind of silly to me.

The drum sights that ship with many models of the gun are very mediocre. They will get the job done, but feel like crap. There are some somewhat quick fixes to this, but they involve totally disassembling a somewhat fiddly design and replacing all the internal springs with springs that don't suck. It's a not inconsequential amount of work to fix something that shouldn't be so stupid in the first place.

The triggers are above average and semi-adjustable. Out of the box they can be pretty good, especially compared to a stock AR trigger. There is a company making replacement hammers and sears for them that supposedly makes them really nice, and they're reasonably priced ($150 or so?).

Personally I think they hosed up the ergos of the lower pretty badly when they redesigned it for a STANAG mag well. There is a lot more space between the pistol grip and the mag release than on an AR just due to how the receiver is shaped and how the bolt travels. If you have small hands for a guy this is going to mean you have to really reach, and maybe even let go of your grip on the gun, to release mags. On the 551a1 this isn't an issue because the paddle release is, much like on an AK, designed to be depressed by the off-hand that is swapping in the replacement mag. On the other hand you get proprietary and somewhat expensive (although not obscene) mags with the 551a1.

I have one and I absolutely love it. I went with the 551a1 and knew going in that I was going to be swapping parts around. The single biggest, positive change you can make is ditching those god awful handguards for swiss ones. That alone makes the front profile much more svelte and drops about a half pound off the front of the gun. It's the only modern carbine I own and the gun I put about 75% of my total shots fired through.

The usual caveats about lovely SIG QC and good SIG CS apply.

That said, if you are dead set on keeping it to factory specs forever or really want the ability to use cheap AR mags I'd probably go with some flavor of AR. For the same price as a SIG you can get a really damned nice AR that will last you forever and be higher quality out of the box.

tl;dr - great rifle hidden under a thick layer of SIG being a bunch of cheap fucks.

edit x2: just checked my firing log and I'm at 3200-ish rounds with 0 failures on it so far. I clean and maintain it, so it's not like those are torture test conditions. Longest run without cleaning was maybe three cases of ammo, so I guess ~1500 rounds?

It will eat anything I put in it. Tula works although extraction is really wimpy unless I use the "dirty" setting on the gas system, which I usually don't bother to because it's still reliable. Wolf chugs along nicely. Nicer ammo functions flawlessly, of course.

Accuracy is good. About what I'd expect out of a comparable AR.

Note that that was 7 years ago and if anything I'm a little less harsh on it now. It's been a good rifle and I can't believe I'm closing in on 10 years with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's a link to the old 556/551a1 thread and the post where I talked about the handguards. A few of the images in that post are broken but you still get the point. HIt me up if you don't have archives and I'll figure something out,.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425820&pagenumber=14#post411062799

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and whatever you do don't buy a 556xi. Those were trainwrecks of re-design and even more proprietary parts. They even have a different gas system to the 556 iirc so swapping to swiss parts is basically impossible.

People have successfully un-hosed even first gen 556's. Do never buy a 556xi.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Thanks!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

rifle picture dump, i love mine particularly now that it's got swiss irons installed

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Man, even in the 1980s people were making fun of 1911 shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

What optic should I put on a P320 XFive Legion? Going between a Sig Romeo1 Pro or a RMR type 2, RM09 1 MOA.

What about for a carry gun?