Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Should it fit a P226R holster?

At the minimum, Vedder does. https://www.vedderholsters.com/sig-sauer-p226-mk25-navy/

E: just realized the p226r is the curved Sig rail and not the squared one on the mk25.
Finally getting around to this, and it's such a drag that they make their full range for the P226R but not the Mk25... and the full range is available for the HK45C which I swear is bigger than either but has that essential "C" in the name. I picked the one IWB-cursed 9mm in SIG's whole line-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

What's necessary to build a P320 in .40 S&W? Is it just a change of barrel + recoil spring or does it require a different slide/frame? I'm considering getting one with my last permit but I also wanted to get something in .40 because it's always in stock at my LGS for cheaper than 9mm and I have a bunch of it for my PC carbine already. Has anyone here done this?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

Slide, barrel, and spring. Only thing that transfers seamlessly is the FCU. And the grip, of course.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I might be rewarding myself for getting through the past couple of years with a more expensive fun gun, and am looking at options. Iím thinking about uncommon guns that can be SBRed relatively easily, and have been eyeing an SG553P. For reference, a couple other thoughts Iíve had are things like the MPX, SL8 converted to G36 specs, USC converted to UMP specs, any maybe some others. I really just want a well-made, fun, relatively ambidextrous friendly SBR that would stand out more than an AR15.

Question for the thread: Iíve seen some .300 Blackout 553Ps for sale, but they have a long barrel. What are the chances that these can be cut down to 8.9Ē without any fuss?

Honestly, I think Iíd prefer one in 5.56, but for something like this I could go either way and Iíve seen more in .300 lately.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

"Hmm, these sights just aren't high enough. I should get suppressor-height night sights."

"Oh look, for an extra $500 on top of that hypothetical cost I can get an entire slide with a dot and non-night sights! What a deal!"

Haven't shot it yet, but the dot is exactly where I expected it with a quick aim and the shake-awake works perfectly. That'll do.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

RDS are a game changer. At least for me. I shoot them so much better, it's night and day. $500 well spent.

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

PathAsc posted:

I don't know about this kit in particular, but other ones I've bought from similar manufacturers had extras just in case, but it was also straight up called out in the documentation.

You might be best served by calling them about it to find out.

Thanks for the information. I'll attempt to find documentation on this kit.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

I might be rewarding myself for getting through the past couple of years with a more expensive fun gun, and am looking at options. Iím thinking about uncommon guns that can be SBRed relatively easily, and have been eyeing an SG553P. For reference, a couple other thoughts Iíve had are things like the MPX, SL8 converted to G36 specs, USC converted to UMP specs, any maybe some others. I really just want a well-made, fun, relatively ambidextrous friendly SBR that would stand out more than an AR15.

Question for the thread: Iíve seen some .300 Blackout 553Ps for sale, but they have a long barrel. What are the chances that these can be cut down to 8.9Ē without any fuss?

Honestly, I think Iíd prefer one in 5.56, but for something like this I could go either way and Iíve seen more in .300 lately.

Letís take this a step back. Is it possible to make a 553P 922r compliant while using the original magazines (not AR magazines)?

Honestly, starting to think about other options here.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

Letís take this a step back. Is it possible to make a 553P 922r compliant while using the original magazines (not AR magazines)?

Honestly, starting to think about other options here.

OK, an update for the crickets: I decided to go with a P556 rather than a 553. It is about 90% of the gun I want, and much cheaper. Iím starting to pull pieces together to make it what I want it to be (aluminum Swiss style lower (with folding stock pending stamp), MFI diopter sights, etc.).

Mine has fishgill style handguards, which is OK but not quite the look Iím going for long-term. Does anyone have a line on a set of the classic plastic non-fishgill handguards?

Iíll keep trolling Gunbroker and AR15 EE in the meantime.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You can find them, but they tend to be expensive. Here's one I found selling 551 handguards for a bit over $200.

I've never seen the SIG non-fishgill handguards for sale. They only ever came on the 551a1 and I think the 556 classic (maybe?), and either way they're even harder to find than the swiss ones. You really only saw them for sale when someone sold them because they got the swiss ones. Hell, I've only actually known one person other than myself to sell them.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've never seen the SIG non-fishgill handguards for sale. They only ever came on the 551a1 and I think the 556 classic (maybe?), and either way they're even harder to find than the swiss ones.

I think he's talking about the short P556 handguards, seen here. Those seem to be especially rare to find for sale because there weren't any nicer Swiss part for owners to upgrade to like they could with the full-size 556/551-A1. (The P556 was a 10" barrel instead of an 8.9" like the 552/553, so the piston and handguards are a different length to the Swiss counterparts and don't interchange.) Judging from that WTB thread that I linked, you're going to have a hard time finding any examples for sale unless you're willing to wait a while.

The other option that used to be popular way back was buying a set of 550 handguards and sending them to Double Diamond Law Enforcement Supply to have them cut down to fit the P556. This was about as accurate as you could get because actual SIG 552/553 handguard are cut-down from 550 handguards (they don't have the rear swell that 551 handguards have), so you'd get the same look as the real deal Swiss guns. That said, I have no idea if they still offer this service. They still offer SIG 55x stuff on their website, so...maybe? If you reach out to them and they do still offer the service, you can get 550 handguards cheap here and here, but be aware that you will be waiting for them.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I think he's talking about the short P556 handguards, seen here. Those seem to be especially rare to find for sale because there weren't any nicer Swiss part for owners to upgrade to like they could with the full-size 556/551-A1. (The P556 was a 10" barrel instead of an 8.9" like the 552/553, so the piston and handguards are a different length to the Swiss counterparts and don't interchange.) Judging from that WTB thread that I linked, you're going to have a hard time finding any examples for sale unless you're willing to wait a while.

The other option that used to be popular way back was buying a set of 550 handguards and sending them to Double Diamond Law Enforcement Supply to have them cut down to fit the P556. This was about as accurate as you could get because actual SIG 552/553 handguard are cut-down from 550 handguards (they don't have the rear swell that 551 handguards have), so you'd get the same look as the real deal Swiss guns. That said, I have no idea if they still offer this service. They still offer SIG 55x stuff on their website, so...maybe? If you reach out to them and they do still offer the service, you can get 550 handguards cheap here and here, but be aware that you will be waiting for them.

Nail on the head. Parts for these are sometimes difficult (at best) to get, the short handguards are drat near impossible to find.

The current set of fishgills I have I actually stumbled on while looking for my P556. The P556 I ended up with had a quad rail handguard on it with an integrated top rail, but I couldnít use it since I wanted to go with MFI sights. A guy that was selling a different gun mentioned that he still had his stock handguards that would be included in his sale, so I asked if I could take those off his hands for a fair price.

When I got them, I got a kick out of the fact that the short fishgills are just cut down full size ones with an end cap, ala SIG 552/3 handguards being cut down 550 handguards (though not nearly as nice of a design). I guess the short gas systems were kind of an afterthought all around.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Question: I finally got around to mounting my Romeo 1 Pro on my X-VTAC R2 (only mentioning this because it also tells what sights I'm using) tonight and the sight picture isn't ideal. I think it's due to my installing the steel shroud, as I'm only JUST able to pick up the front sight when *burying* the dot between the RMR's rear sight.

For others who are using/have used the R1P, did you install the protective shroud? And yes, I did install it using a torque wrench to the recommended 30lbs.

EDIT: Yes, the weapon was clear and unloaded when I took these, and no, I haven't zeroed it yet:

This one showcases how difficult it is to pick up the front sight:

And this one is what I mean when I say "I have to bury the dot":

I also want to emphasize that this is the first red dot sight I've bought for one of my own guns, so any advice would be appreciated.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 24, 2021

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Question: I finally got around to mounting my Romeo 1 Pro on my X-VTAC R2 (only mentioning this because it also tells what sights I'm using) tonight and the sight picture isn't ideal. I think it's due to my installing the steel shroud, as I'm only JUST able to pick up the front sight when *burying* the dot between the RMR's rear sight.

For others who are using/have used the R1P, did you install the protective shroud? And yes, I did install it using a torque wrench to the recommended 30lbs.

EDIT: Yes, the weapon was clear and unloaded when I took these, and no, I haven't zeroed it yet:

This one showcases how difficult it is to pick up the front sight:

And this one is what I mean when I say "I have to bury the dot":

I also want to emphasize that this is the first red dot sight I've bought for one of my own guns, so any advice would be appreciated.

You need to zero the red dot before you judge. I have a R1P with a steel shroud installed on a P320 Pro (4.7" barrel with iron sights on the slide) and mine doesn't cowitness at all. I can't even see the irons with the dot in-between. I plan on getting suppressor height sights once I swap over to an RMR. Pics in a sec..

You can see that the rear iron sights don't even clear the R1P body and even trying to use the R1P rear notch the POA would be no where near where the dot is zeroed.

You can see some sight pics with shroud removed and installed here:

http://cer0s.com/a/v1l

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 24, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thanks. I've never zeroed a red dot before, only prism and LPVO optics on my AR, and learning whatever I can now will help immensely when the 9mm Banshee 300 I just ordered tonight arrives sometime in February/March of next year, since I'm planning on putting a Holosun (or an Eotech, if I can get a good deal between now and then) on it.

I've watched a few videos in the past few hours and it sounds like I'm going to have to learn to 1) focus on the target, not the dot, and 2) as you said, the dot doesn't have to cowitness with the front sight at all.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Just get rid of the drat front sight and embrace it. If you're ever in a real world situation where your dot dies there's a 99% chance the target is within point-shooting range

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I say ditch the semi-auto and go to a revolver.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Just get rid of the drat front sight and embrace it. If you're ever in a real world situation where your dot dies there's a 99% chance the target is within point-shooting range

Exactly. Sights are just a distraction when you've got a quality red dot on your pistol.

BigFatSlowCat
May 29, 2021

Question!

New gun owner, picked up a P226 and hit the range twice. First time ran about 80 rounds through with no issues. Second time was a few days ago, towards the end of the first mag my shots started going comically to the side more and more and the sight felt weird.

Well I somehow couldn't fathom that the sight might be moving and another shot sent the front sight into orbit.

Anybody have an idea of what I could do? The rear sight is stamped at a #8 but I have no idea what the front sight stamp was. Seems it could be either #6 or #8. Not sure if there's a good place to try to get a set of sights, not sure if it makes sense to get a tritium replacement or try to get an original set, etc. etc.

Any recommendations for good quality sights?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dang. My personal favorite general use sights are Ameriglo CAPs. Theyíre usually about $70 on Amazon.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Exactly. Sights are just a distraction when you've got a quality red dot on your pistol.

Quality being very important. I wouldn't trust any of the Sig pistol optics unless they've improved dramatically. Even an RMR I have is not on a pistol since it flickered off from recoil enough under shooting that I couldn't trust it on one - it's a type one however and the newer type twos don't seem to have that issue. I've had good luck with Holosuns 507 and 508, and the Leupold Delta Point Pro (sold this one but it was fine on an M17 I had, not sure if I'd want to take a spill with it however), I'm sure the Holosun 509 and Aimpoint P series are fine but I haven't shot them.

BigFatSlowCat
May 29, 2021

Watched a couple videos on it, the orange and green looks pretty good, thanks for the referral.

I'll pick up a set and see if they ALSO launch themselves into orbit. Hopefully it was the original sight and not the slide.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I always use Trijicon Tough and Bright. I tried the HD version for my Glock 43 and the rear sight scratches up my skin and clothes.

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa

The rear sights on my M17 are loose and lifting off the slide, has anyone seen or dealt with anything similar before?

First pistol I've owned, got it new about 6 months ago and have only fired 300-400 rounds so far. So I'm a bit surprised to see issues so soon.

I tried calling Sig Sauer but they are closed today. :/

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

ColonelDimak posted:

The rear sights on my M17 are loose and lifting off the slide, has anyone seen or dealt with anything similar before?

First pistol I've owned, got it new about 6 months ago and have only fired 300-400 rounds so far. So I'm a bit surprised to see issues so soon.

I tried calling Sig Sauer but they are closed today. :/

Take the slide off the frame, remove the extractor plunger as you would to install a new extractor, and there should be two holes with screws holding it in place. Take out the screws, apply some loctite or similar, and screw them back in after reseating the sight plate. There is a loaded chamber indicator spring that's easy to lose under the sight plate - so make sure to be cautious when doing this so you do not lose it. Sounds like someone at the factory just was lazy on the screw install.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Quality being very important. I wouldn't trust any of the Sig pistol optics unless they've improved dramatically. Even an RMR I have is not on a pistol since it flickered off from recoil enough under shooting that I couldn't trust it on one - it's a type one however and the newer type twos don't seem to have that issue. I've had good luck with Holosuns 507 and 508, and the Leupold Delta Point Pro (sold this one but it was fine on an M17 I had, not sure if I'd want to take a spill with it however), I'm sure the Holosun 509 and Aimpoint P series are fine but I haven't shot them.

I wouldn't trust any of them. In a defensive situation, reliability is paramount and fixed sights will never fail you.

ColonelDimak posted:

dammit!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Right. Just rescued my old 1911 from my parent's house last week. Not a Sig. But anyway, was cleaning it and the rear sight fell out.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

That's my thinking too. I'm comfortable with the Sig Romeo1Pro on my XCompact.

edit; like, if you've practiced a bit with your RDS, you should be able to present your pistol and see the dot. Every time. If the dot isn't there, you should still be pointed right to hit a torso sized target at ~5 yards. Right?

dema fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 31, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

BigFatSlowCat posted:

Question!

New gun owner, picked up a P226 and hit the range twice. First time ran about 80 rounds through with no issues. Second time was a few days ago, towards the end of the first mag my shots started going comically to the side more and more and the sight felt weird.

Well I somehow couldn't fathom that the sight might be moving and another shot sent the front sight into orbit.

Anybody have an idea of what I could do? The rear sight is stamped at a #8 but I have no idea what the front sight stamp was. Seems it could be either #6 or #8. Not sure if there's a good place to try to get a set of sights, not sure if it makes sense to get a tritium replacement or try to get an original set, etc. etc.

Any recommendations for good quality sights?
Can you dry fire it with a coin sitting on the slide / sight and not falling off or sliding? People at the range thought I was some kind of natural when I started and used the loaner P226 with the line on the back, but not long after I bought my own Mk25 I had a bad string of pushing left. Don't take this wrong but it's a sturdy gun and probably not your sights unless there's a jiggle. You can also check this by using a ruler / string / laser level to check the alignment from front to back.

I pushed left because the Mk25 grips are the screw panels instead of the E2 that everything else gets now, so getting the E2 and working on my support hand really helped. What direction and how far are you drifting?

Also having the tritium on the Mk25 I can only say they're of questionable usefulness if you don't plan to use your gun at night (I'm Canadian so that's very unlikely). If you end up replacing them find the best contrast set that your eyes pick up or look into glow-in-the-dark, which on my HK45C are much easier on my eyes.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Put white out on either side of the sight dovetail and take it shooting again to see if it moves

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Shumagorath posted:

Can you dry fire it with a coin sitting on the slide / sight and not falling off or sliding? People at the range thought I was some kind of natural when I started and used the loaner P226 with the line on the back, but not long after I bought my own Mk25 I had a bad string of pushing left. Don't take this wrong but it's a sturdy gun and probably not your sights unless there's a jiggle. You can also check this by using a ruler / string / laser level to check the alignment from front to back.

Did you miss the part where he said he launched his front sight into orbit before talking about dry firing with a coin on slide lol.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

If my sight went flying on a new gun I would be asking Sig to replace it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Anyone have experience with MFI diopter sights? My rear sight is a bit loose, and Iím looking for tips on how to tighten it up before I try and tear it apart myself.

I seems loose in both directions (up/down and side/side).

smax fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 1, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How loose?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also I assume this is the mfi drum? Is the sight base loose or the drum?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Drum. Thereís probably about 1mm+ of wiggle in both directions, I can get a better idea later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Does it wiggle by itself or with finger pressure?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Very slight finger pressure. It probably bounces all over the place when firing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

smax posted:

Very slight finger pressure. It probably bounces all over the place when firing.

lemme go take a look at mine. I could swear I remember tightening up a few screws.

It's unfortunate, but the drums don't have that tight a retention. Annoying for something that costs what it does, but you can get it straightened out with a little tinkering.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok hereís a quick video of how mine wobbles.

https://youtube.com/shorts/tVP8CBLfNhI

Iíve never noticed that movement causing problems at the range. Itís not exactly a precision sight to begin with. I suspect you could shim it internally.

What does help a lot, though is throwing some green loctite on the elevation adjustment screw. Get it dialed in for one aperture and then lock it in. Otherwise that screw moves under recoil and then youíve got elevation going everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Ceros_X posted:

Did you miss the part where he said he launched his front sight into orbit before talking about dry firing with a coin on slide lol.

Yes, yes I did. Yeowch, sorry about that dude.