Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comedy webcomic from Japan, where comic publishing is so crazy common that independent (unpublished) webcomics are generally extremely unique creatures, to say the least. Its vibe matches this site's pretty dang well, so I believe it fits here. Since it contains SUPER in depth and long winded analysis of real life issues (such as, the best way to murder someone and become a famous criminal), it's certainly not lacking for topics of discussion either.

The original updates 1+ panel per day so like, this is fine too as far as I'm concerned. Translated/edited by me. I'll post whenever I feel like it. Once a day minimum is the goal. Also one "panel" is here defined by the horizontal panel gutters.

If you read Japanese, please enjoy the original webcomic. You can find it by searching とあるニート

READ RIGHT TO LEFT

Mod edit: please check out the original author's Patreon, as he has been made aware of this translation and is being kind enough to let it continue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im pretty neat (:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What the gently caress is a NEET?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

I. M. Gei posted:

A Japanese acronym for Not in Education, Employment, or Training.

EDIT: So it turns out it's actually from the UK or something? I've never heard it outside the context of Japan, but that's where the internet says it comes from. :shrug:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I read it left to right at first and it was actually kinda funny.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

pnumoman posted:

A Japanese acronym for Not in Education, Employment, or Training.

EDIT: So it turns out it's actually from the UK or something? I've never heard it outside the context of Japan, but that's where the internet says it comes from. :shrug:

in Japan, NEETs are called hikikomori

how could the acronym work in Japanese? think, McFly, think

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

snack eater posted:

in Japan, NEETs are called hikikomori

how could the acronym work in Japanese? think, McFly, think

Nah, Japan definitely uses NEET, and hikikomori are literal shut-ins. As in, never come out of their room. NEET is just someone without a job or not in school; you don't necessarily have to be both, but most hikikomori are NEETs if only because there are very few who make a living never going outside of their rooms. And there are definitely NEETs who go outside all the time.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've unfortunately read up to episode 6 (it ends at 7) of this crap and can assure you it's a waste of a time. It's a waste of time to read it in the first place, let alone translate the drat thing. Translating it can't be even remotely efficient considering it's all done MSPaint.

Goons don't need any additional insight into how NEETs live, just open any E/N thread with a basement-dwelling 30-something retail or call center goon describing themselves as "smart but lazy," then take away the job.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 30, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

evilmiera posted:

same

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zmcnulty posted:

I've unfortunately read up to episode 6 (it ends at 7)

To be honest, I'm not sure how you read it without realizing that there's hundreds of pages past the NEET part. You're right about the general quality of the first 6 parts. They essentially amount to a scathing critique of NEETs. Then depending on the path you choose, it becomes a completely different story (both paths have hundreds of parts to them and the site actually has 3 currently updating branches.)

Let me put it into perspective. The site contents list a total of 600 (extra length) pages worth of content. He is a NEET for 6 of them, 7 if you choose the joke choice which ends right there.

So.... shrug.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

so it's japanese homestuck?

post the other six panels op

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
B: Take a dump

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

For reference: 1 "page" is about 3x as much as what I've posted. They are super tall pages.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
how do these people survive without any sort of income?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a bone to pick posted:

how do these people survive without any sort of income?

We'll get to that, but... parents and welfare.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

onsetOutsider posted:

Then depending on the path you choose, it becomes a completely different story

"Continue being a NEET" ends at vol 7 as far as I can tell.
http://paintmanga.web.fc2.com/original_manga/001neet/n07-1.htm

Then there's "get a part-time job" and "become a criminal" either of which I suppose could be truly thrilling but I'm not sticking around to find out.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zmcnulty posted:

but I'm not sticking around to find out.

Thanks for letting me know...?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Bookmarked, don't let us down OP.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I’m a Neet

But I’m not neat

pram
Jun 10, 2001

onsetOutsider posted:

Comedy webcomic from Japan, where comic publishing is so crazy common that independent (unpublished) webcomics are generally extremely unique creatures, to say the least. Its vibe matches this site's pretty dang well, so I believe it fits here. Since it contains SUPER in depth and long winded analysis of real life issues (such as, the best way to murder someone and become a famous criminal), it's certainly not lacking for topics of discussion either.

The original updates 1+ panel per day so like, this is fine too as far as I'm concerned. Translated/edited by me. I'll post whenever I feel like it. Once a day minimum is the goal. Also one "panel" is here defined by the horizontal panel gutters.

If you read Japanese, please enjoy the original webcomic. You can find it by searching とあるニート

READ RIGHT TO LEFT

this isnt funny gas

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

so is this a comic about not knowing if it's day or night? I'd assume after three or four issues you'd have the subject pretty well covered

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3x5G9UmJOM

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

There is a japanese onomatopoeia for the sound it makes when you sit up?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Thanks for translating these OP, looks interesting.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
'zine 720°

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Stanky Bean posted:

R E A D S P O S T

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I. M. Gei posted:

its a body hair removal lotion

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pram posted:

this isnt funny gas

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I got lazy in the last panel... can you tell?

Stanky Bean posted:

There's a sound for EVERYTHING. Even if it's a fake thing like using telekinesis, there's a sound for it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

onsetOutsider posted:

The site contents list a total of 600 (extra length) pages worth of content.

onsetOutsider posted:

The original updates 1+ panel per day so like, this is fine too as far as I'm concerned. Translated/edited by me. I'll post whenever I feel like it. Once a day minimum is the goal.

:thunk: a 600+ page webcomic, updated at a rate of one panel per day... can't wait to spend the next few years reading this enthralling story

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

onsetOutsider posted:

I got lazy in the last panel... can you tell?

So did the artist in the first!

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
This is a great comic

FOR ME TO POOP ON

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

yeah a story about a character who does nothing and lives a life where nothing happens will be fun to read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVqxD8PNq8

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

I. M. Gei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCN7hJlq0jk

not long after posting this video, this dude murdered his whole family

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Everyone who doesn't think it's funny probably just identifies with the NEET too much. :smug:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ugh, this is actually somebody I know. Working at staples was a "life or death" situation for him because he had to get on a ladder to move a box. He lives in a townhouse bought by his dad with some roommates.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

onsetOutsider posted:

READ RIGHT TO LEFT

In this panel and some of the others im confused why they write out so many things. Like him opening his eyes, or shuffling. Isnt that the point of having the image?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

evilmiera posted:

I think I actually prefer left-to-right myself, certainly makes things more interesting beyond an unemployed guy waking up.

For instance:

Left-to-right has the guy watching a TV show about a guy whining about picking up a box of oranges. That's more funny to me than having a guy think back to that, because that is an odd thing to have as a TV show.

e: Also his realizing it's September and absolutely not giving a gently caress.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 30, 2018

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

pram posted:

this isnt funny gas

this is a really unfunny thing and I do not understand why OP posted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i cant eeven load the images.

neet.