Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tohru: I can't even

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
B u r n a b l e

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

*is frighted*
why is my heart rate elevated... love?!?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
God these whiplash back and forth cliffhangers. The author is a dick.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

simplefish posted:

*is frighted*
why is my heart rate elevated... love?!?
Yes, you have identified the fakeout correctly.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Flashback to Dark Helmet playing with his dolls.

Dark Helmet : Now Princess Vespa, at last we are alone.
[in Vespa voice]: Oh, oh, I hate you I hate you I hate you leave me alone! - yet, I find you strangely attractive.
Dark Helmet : Of course you do. Druish princesses are often attracted to money, and power, and I have BOTH, and YOU KNOW IT!
[in Vespa voice]: Oh, oh, leave me alone!
Dark Helmet : No, kiss me!
[cuts between their voices]: Oh, oh, no, yes, no, NO, yes, ah, ah, ah ahhhhh... oh, your helmet is so big...

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Is Tohru almost a 9?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

dirby posted:

Yes, you have identified the fakeout correctly.

is it a fakeout if she was actually scared?

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

She’s rating them on their likelihood to :neet:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

simplefish posted:

is it a fakeout if she was actually scared?

Yes? The author is playing on the trope of "my beating heart means..." to make the reader think for a second (a day?) she might be feeling love. That was a fakeout for the audience, because she was actually only scared/unnerved and never thought it was love in the first place.

dirby fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 7, 2020

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

dirby posted:

Yes? The author is playing on the trope of "my beating heart means..." to make the reader think for a second (a day?) she might be feeling love. That was a fakeout for the audience, because she was actually only scared/unnerved and never thought it was love in the first place.

I read it the other way.

We're shown she's sure she's scared
Then she questions why her heart might be pounding (which would be odd if mii was still sure it was only fear)
And then she's all "...no, I hate him, I am resolved" after her conflicted moment

I was poking fun that she'd even rethink her fear might be love, even if it was a passing doubt

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

simplefish posted:

I read it the other way.
And I'm saying your reading must be wrong. She didn't question why her heart was pounding - she just noticed it. There was "no doubt in [her] mind" about her beating heart. And that was followed up with an emphasis of her negative feelings about Tohru.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

There's an awful lot of "..." before statements implying hesitation (and thus internal conflict) for someone steadfast in their internal monologue

E: and the "no doubt" being a conclusion doesn't negate my reading. It's kind of what a good conclusion is, even if that follows back-and-forth consideration

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 7, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I mean it could be another fakeout. The next line could be "so why am I feeling this way?"

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Tohru an 8.5 on the creepiness scale.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

:laugh:

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Aw man..

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
What did he expect tbh. He followed her, even if it was for honest reasons even if he did say he would not go near her.

She didn't ask for his company nor want it. Poor NEET but respecting people involves giving space and letting them choose if they want to enter into your company

Hell I have run into an ex whom I don't talk with nor have for years and the first thought I had was "head down walk away, let have her space", even though I wanted to say hi.

Hollywood is bullshit, as more than likely "romantic situations" it portrays do not match how it really goes in real life. The trope of meeting an ex or having the romantic reconciliation from a random encounter is bull crap.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 7, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The shadow guy is a coin flip away from abducting Mii &/or Nii. The other side of the coin is another psych out. Once you're in for more than one panel there's something goin on

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

What did he expect tbh. He followed her, even if it was for honest reasons even if he did say he would not go near her.

She didn't ask for his company nor want it. Poor NEET but respecting people involves giving space and letting them choose if they want to enter into your company

Hell I have run into an ex whom I don't talk with nor have for years and the first thought I had was "head down walk away, let have her space", even though I wanted to say hi.

Hollywood is bullshit, as more than likely "romantic situations" it portrays do not match how it really goes in real life. The trope of meeting an ex or having the romantic reconciliation from a random encounter is bull crap.

If there's one thing we can count on in this comic, it's for the story to avoid obnoxious tropes like that and swing to a mundane anticlimactic direction instead.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The shadow guy is a coin flip away from abducting Mii &/or Nii. The other side of the coin is another psych out. Once you're in for more than one panel there's something goin on

Getting a vibe from how the narrator talks, I actually think this scene is supposed be what it is: a situation where someone decides that another person is creepy.

Neet doesn't have the social savy to get it, but he should have expected this from Mii.

He essentially asked her to be his girlfriend and then revealed he wasn't being open fully with her, that he potentially was a dangerous person.

This scene shows that in real life, people do not have to try understand you, they have feelings and emotions too, that misunderstandings happen and that they do not have to accept you or what your about or even forgive you.

Shadow0 posted:

If there's one thing we can count on in this comic, it's for the story to avoid obnoxious tropes like that and swing to a mundane anticlimactic direction instead.

Exactly, I think this is what the author is trying to establish here. That real life is not like tv/films/Anime, that tropes do not happen like they are portrayed or at all.

It's the type of mistake or misconception a real NEET like Nii might make, it's a sign of a lack of or depravation of healthy social contact, you used to see goons back in the day mocking people like this back in the GBS E/N days.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 7, 2020

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Foul Ole Ron posted:

This scene shows that in real life, people do not have to try understand you, they have feelings and emotions too, that misunderstandings happen and that they do not have to accept you or what your about or even forgive you.

drat, some real talk.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Also, loving the real talk and discussion

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Twenty years ago a NEET was sent to prison by a Japanese court for a crime he didn't commit. This NEET was eventually released from gay baby jail to the Tokyo underground. Today, unwanted by anyone, he survives as a menial labourer. If you have a minimum-wage job... if no one else will do it... and if you can find him... maybe you can hire... The NEET.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Can we go back to this for a sec? This just shook the foundations of my understanding of this comic. The narrator seems to know what's in this strangers head! Meaning....
[ panel later]
That the narrator is not Tohru's internal monologue at all!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I am guessing narrator is Amaterasu.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Xenocides posted:

I am guessing narrator is Amaterasu.

and she's permanently just disgusted with the state of things.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Of course the narrator is not Tohru's internal monologue. He keeps calling Tohru out on his stupid ideas and beliefs, which Tohru demonstrates he genuinely holds through his actions.

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Wait... Maybe I'm the bad guy?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Poor Tohru. I genuinely do feel bad for him, it's gotta be crushing knowing that even though you've changed, your history is so dark that you have slim odds of having a successful love life.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Nothing wrong with being an appalling garbage person, I do it all the time tbh

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tohru is a gross human.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tohru is a gross human.

But he's the most earnestly gross human I've ever seen.