Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Brother Make posted:

On closer inspection, her first name may indeed be Hime.

https://jisho.org/search/%E5%A7%AB%20%23names

I might update the panel later if it becomes more clear, but I think I just convinced myself that it's her actual name now that I know it can be a name.

Yeah, that's probably her first name. If they bothered to put furigana (or whatever you call furigana in parenthesis) for 姫, a fairly run-of-the-mill character, it's because it's for the reading of her name.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wish my name was hime thats a cool name to have plus you can flex on lowborn people like NEET

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That's fascinating, I hadn't heard of it as a name before!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

subpar anachronism posted:

That's fascinating, I hadn't heard of it as a name before!

My understanding of Japanese names is that they can be basically any combination of kanji read in whatever way the parents want. That's why there's furigana on her name, despite the kanji being not particularly unusual -- because her parents could have pulled the Japanese equivalent of naming her "Kayleigh" or "Braedyn."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I'm reading through the thread for the first time (this is the first time i've actually cared enough to read through an entire thread THIS long) and I just wanna post to say, holy poo poo this is soul crushing

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lodin posted:

Lol what a poo poo company. Still using tiny CRTs in 2004 or whenever this timeline takes place.

This is from a few months ago but fun fact: I worked a QA testing job in LA for a major AAA game company in 2010, and they still used CRTs for the vast majority of the testing stations. It even looked quite a lot like this:

Except each station also had a computer, and a VCR. PS3 and Wii consoles didn't have nicely built-in recording software like Xbox 360 did, so the cheapest way for the company to enable us to record footage was to literally record it on VHS then upload them to a computer.

e: Tohru's interview process is fairly accurate as well, at least compared to how things were done over here at the time. In-person talky interview, then they'd take you into a room with a lovely CRT connected to a console, they'd give you an old build of a recently-released game, and have you physically write bugs down about it.

e2: the inaccurate part so far is that the second job for the tiny shovelware company pays crap. Generally smaller game companies have only a handful of QA testers, and thus pays them fairly well since they need to be more skilled. It's the big corporations that have teams of several dozen testers that pay them like poo poo cus who cares, we're going to replace you the first time you break a plate anyways.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 31, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh gently caress now i'm caught up on the thread and don't know what to do anymore.

Uh, post more NEET!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh gently caress now i'm caught up on the thread and don't know what to do anymore.

Uh, post more NEET!

Lmao

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Uh, post more NEET!

We've all had this moment.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

... we're going to replace you the first time you break a plate anyways.

Uh oh.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Good news: the game they’re testing is Everybody’s Plates 7!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Aino Minako posted:

Good news: the game they’re testing is Everybody’s Plates 7!

As if they'd make another after the abject failure of Everybody's Plates 6.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was sad after the revelation that Everybody's Gorilla = Everybody's Golf, the translation didn't change to Hot Shot's Gorilla

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, that's probably her first name. If they bothered to put furigana (or whatever you call furigana in parenthesis) for 姫, a fairly run-of-the-mill character, it's because it's for the reading of her name.

Yeah NEET's reaction is that she has a "pretty" name but is astoundingly ugly, not that it's necessarily a weird name or that she called herself "princess" as in the title.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah NEET's reaction is that she has a "pretty" name but is astoundingly ugly, not that it's necessarily a weird name or that she called herself "princess" as in the title.

On the other hand, Hime doesn't read as a "pretty" name in English. I think Princess works - it comes off as just a weird name in general, but also ill-fitting due to her looks (in neet's opinion)

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it's a hentai visual novel called Lusty Life.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

I updated the previous panels with the name fix.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I'm reading through the thread for the first time (this is the first time i've actually cared enough to read through an entire thread THIS long) and I just wanna post to say, holy poo poo this is soul crushing

I'm sorry.

https://i.imgur.com/p55CGNn.mp4

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

.... I felt like I had to post in response to this but uh not sure what to add here

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
The NEET anime is becoming a reality

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The way that's worded makes it sound like NEET is joining a cyberpunk RPG party and needs to pick his class

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The stunning revelation that you can freeze vegetables

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Learning vegetables, and not just parents' jugulars, can be cut is a lot like stepping in dog poop. I agree, Old Neet. I agree.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

it's like zaurg learning he could make ice cubes himself

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

That was my first thought.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I see avatars!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
*invites into the office a bunch of turbo-nerds whose lives are obviously centered around gaming*

"Here, this is a video game. It may come a surprise to you all, but sometimes video games contain mistakes. These are called bugs, and people who play video games don't like them!"

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Queue next panel of NEET going deep into the smug thought pattern of "of course buggy games sell poorly but you're oversimplifying it. In this 4 panel TED talk I will go over the other way games fail. For first..."

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

nullEntityRNG posted:

Queue next panel of NEET going deep into the smug thought pattern of "of course buggy games sell poorly but you're oversimplifying it. In this 4 panel TED talk I will go over the other way games fail. For first..."

In Tohru's case it would be a TED Self Talk, but might well exceed 20 minutes.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

This is the first I'd heard of zaurg, so thank you for that.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty sure a Japanese company releasing a game as buggy as anything Bethesda has ever released would be considered a shamefurr dispray.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Lodin posted:

a shamefurr dispray.

:yikes:

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU