Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Tohru you just need a Snickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Fantastic Flyer posted:

(suddenly appears)

Is that like the Goku teleport sound, I love the weird Japanese onomatopoeia

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Lmao oh god

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Kazak posted:

Post your way through it op

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

K-kawaii~

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

what the hell is going on

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Oh my god are we reading Odas manga about Tohru

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

A

this poo poo goes so hard between banal and weird, I love it

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

This poo poo was released one panel at a time originally

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

NEET pls don't slip back into your angry ways

Oda-san wouldn't want it that way

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

loving lmao

Oda's face is perfect

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Not quite. If you're expecting other members of society to provide for you without offering anything in return (edit: important to note that in doing so they are sacrificing security in providing for themselves), you shouldn't be surprised when those people look down on you. That's not Japan, that's anywhere in the world. The only reason Tohru was able to live the life he had is because his parents were buying him food, presumably games, enabling the hedonism in the first place. There's nothing rebellious about it.

He's drawing the comparison in that it's a complete withdrawal/180 from the traditional Japanese social ideal (as far as the comparison to punk or other counterculture)

Being 'looked down upon' is validation in counterculture. I don't know if it tracks completely since I'm not Japanese but I can see it

Victis fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Goku is a terrible husband/father so I guess it tracks that you wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone like that? idk

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Those... are radically different

I don't know what to believe except that I need more NEET

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Aww Tohru looks younger when he smiles

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

He's not anymore tho

Still weird but he's nice to other people now

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Xenocides posted:

Isn’t there a Japanese thing where in fiction the ‘hero’ athletic team or competitor usually loses in the end? How is Oda being inventive?

They might lose halfway through so they can win as an underdog but I don't think losing in the END is that common

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Gonna be sad if she's really just using him for manga material

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Tohru goddamn it

I hope the next arc is him going to therapy

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Good. The author of the manga understands that Tohru is a vessel for a soul that is made of pure dogshit.

He's not a bad guy after 10+ years of forced self-reflection.

He's just a fuckin' NEET on the streets

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

lol Oda

We all have friends we don't deserve

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Oda better not be dead

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Grevling posted:

I see it now, sorry for butting in ignorantly. I'm an ESL speaker and never considered that child could have two syllables but makes sense to me now.

The poem still scans though.

It's not black and white, here's a good breakdown:

https://www.quora.com/Are-words-such-as-mile-smile-tire-child-etc-considered-one-syllable-or-two

Corona lockdown is melting some minds

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

gleebster posted:

The neet plotted to poison his parents. They were so horribly disappointed by him, though, that they committed suicide. He was, nonetheless, imprisoned for their deaths.

Don't forget his plan afterwards to throw the investigation into chaos (???) by confessing to the crime he didn't actually commit, which helped to get him convicted

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Did he even hurt her? More like "yeesh dude I'm not down for this at all man, basically nobody would be. Bummer."

Uh yeah? They spent time together, grew to like each other, he asked her to be a couple, she accepted, and then he was IMMEDIATELY like 'No, I will not allow it, because I'm bad and gross and no one is allowed to love me'

It's emotional whiplash, that's a sociopath move

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Oda is so ridiculous and specific

Author has got to be referencing someone they know IRL

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

simplefish posted:

how can your own sweat reflect into your own eyes?
and yet our boy neet is all "hmm, yes, makes sense"

Gonna guess it's just 'sweat' in context or the speaker's sweat specifically.

I would never suggest our NEET overlords made a translation error

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

wtf this comic

Also keep in mind this thing originally got posted one panel at a time

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

lol Tohru

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

lol Oda always looks so much younger than Tohru

Attitude is everything

Maybe not going to jail for 10 years helps

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

nnnnnnnooooooo Tohru why

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

She's going to text him later but he will spend the entire day at work contemplating it before Oda busts in later in with shenanigans and he forgets about it

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

NEET's going through a crash course in relationships

At least he's making progress at 40

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I'm the bottom-right panel

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

RuBisCO posted:

NEET having a bad time across all timelines

I was gonna say, things are going a little too well for QA NEET - we need some negative self-talk

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Android Blues posted:

I don't think "we are wired up like that" is true. Maybe some people are? But I think it's more likely that society teaches us that hitting stuff is an acceptable way for people (read: men, really, women are taught not to do this) to express their anger, so people go to that as an outlet.

Maybe it's therapeutic though, I dunno. I just think it's probably socially taught more than being totally intrinsic.

Our bodies release fight-or-flight chemicals when angry and bursts of stored energy upon physical exertion like any other animal so yes, we are wired up that way

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Post until the wheels fall off

All NEET all the time

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

N-NANI??

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

sticksy posted:

This is exhilarating, cannot wait for the next installment

Lunch break filler arc isn't bad