Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GrV8alTOk

I am both exciting and dreading this guy coming back, his fights are normally always so good, but hes getting old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Akiyama coming out to Con Te Partiro Cemented him as one of my favorite fringe mma characters of all time.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Brazilians.txt

Lmao. Thanks for sharing this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Seltzer posted:

When?

Also despite being less muscular the first guys body is 100 times more baffling

Synthol and photoshop are a hell of a mix.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no Iranian Hulk really does look like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKK__6xLK_U

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

coconono posted:

no Iranian Hulk really does look like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKK__6xLK_U

Surprisingly no video of him with his shirt off. Only stills. Will he take his shirt off for the fight and have a big old belly?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Extremely boring post ahead.

Was combing the OP and saw this quote which almost exactly describes my experience with UFC

quote:

Well, if you’re reading this you’re probably an MMA fan, and the odds are you probably have said something like “I used to follow MMA, but I don’t know who the fighters are anymore.” It’s true – the UFC has purged the fighters of their own identities underneath brand-centric promotion and uniforms and poo poo. There’s a lot of nostalgia for the days when we could watch a fat dude with tribal tattoos and shorts with CONDOM DEPOT on the rear end get his face broken open. That was the dream of the 00s

I went from watching basically every UFC card to 2-3 supercards a year about three years ago. My MMA viewing just fell off a cliff. Between the fighter sanitization via reebok and Dana's insane micromanaging of what level of personality is acceptable (vetoing walkout music destroying basically all theatrics except for a chosen few teachers pets). Every undercard fight seems to be a battle between a charismaless midwestern wrestler who can punch vs a charismaless Brazilian BJJ practitioner with suspect kickboxing. I'm sure a lot of what I'm experiencing is nostalgia, and that some lessening of fighters as characters in mma has come via pressure to be bland because of social media and the fact that MMA as a discipline and career path is now an actual avenue instead of a sport crazy people fell into, but I still think most of the blame is to be shouldered by the UFC. The other thing that killed UFC for me and plays into the first point is the complete oversaturation of cards. Back when they were running ~1 card every one to two months you would watch a UFC card off the strength of it being a UFC card. Nowadays you have way too much going on and the cards are completely watered down. Instead of five fights being interesting I found my self thinking "I want to see that Stun Gun Kim fight on the prelims and the main event for the belt" and that's not enough to devote a whole night watching a card for. Fighters are less spotlighted and cards are bloated with boring fighters and matchups. I called that happening as soon as the fox deal started ramping up the amount of cards. At the time I was told "how can you be mad about more stuff to see" but I was right (not trying to score points just remembering). Add into the fact that Ronda and then Conor brought in some of the worst fans on earth and the PSP threads started to nosedive in quality and I just kinda gave up entirely on watching MMA.

It's hosed, I've been enjoying boxing way more these past years despite the scoring being criminal and my favorite fighters getting screwed. I know I unleashed a boring rant but the quote in the OP hit home. Also when I read the rosters outside the UFC I was surprised by all the names I didn't realize were cut/ how I actually knew those names and was interested in a lot of them. Mousasi, Nelson, Rory, Josh Thomson, Cruickshank. Those are all fighters I would be excited to see on a card and have interesting personalities for better or worse. Bellator actually looks fun after reading that OP.

I kinda want to get back into watching MMA a little bit but probably stick to B-league. Is there a discord for watching these cards? I remember years ago the IRC channel was still really active and a lot of people would get on for funny B league cards but IRC is basically dead now.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 5, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're watching just post in the thread. In the literal worst-case scenario of shitloads of people posting and people geting pissed off, and the people posting can make a GDT. It's more likely that your posts will remind people that there's a card on, and then there's discussion. Problem we want to have imo, and far superior to silence.

FWIW the weird goddamn thing about UFC right now is that there are shitloads of amazing fighters, fights, and cards, but the blanket of anonymity that has fallen over all of them makes it more effort to watch now than in the days where poo poo was weird and obscure.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CommonShore posted:

If you're watching just post in the thread. In the literal worst-case scenario of shitloads of people posting and people geting pissed off, and the people posting can make a GDT. It's more likely that your posts will remind people that there's a card on, and then there's discussion. Problem we want to have imo, and far superior to silence.

FWIW the weird goddamn thing about UFC right now is that there are shitloads of amazing fighters, fights, and cards, but the blanket of anonymity that has fallen over all of them makes it more effort to watch now than in the days where poo poo was weird and obscure.

Yea, just seems like there should be a discord by now. I mean theres one for everything. Also when I used to watch the B - Leagues I thought this thread didn't really get much traction outside like real big Bellator events? Idk it kinda sucks in the kickboxing thread watching a big card and it's you and one person posting lol.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Seltzer posted:

Was combing the OP and saw this quote which almost exactly describes my experience with UFC

I went from watching basically every UFC card to 2-3 supercards a year about three years ago. My MMA viewing just fell off a cliff. Between the fighter sanitization via reebok and Dana's insane micromanaging of what level of personality is acceptable (vetoing walkout music destroying basically all theatrics except for a chosen few teachers pets). Every undercard fight seems to be a battle between a charismaless midwestern wrestler who can punch vs a charismaless Brazilian BJJ practitioner with suspect kickboxing. I'm sure a lot of what I'm experiencing is nostalgia, and that some lessening of fighters as characters in mma has come via pressure to be bland because of social media and the fact that MMA as a discipline and career path is now an actual avenue instead of a sport crazy people fell into, but I still think most of the blame is to be shouldered by the UFC. The other thing that killed UFC for me and plays into the first point is the complete oversaturation of cards. Back when they were running ~1 card every one to two months you would watch a UFC card off the strength of it being a UFC card. Nowadays you have way too much going on and the cards are completely watered down. Instead of five fights being interesting I found my self thinking "I want to see that Stun Gun Kim fight on the prelims and the main event for the belt" and that's not enough to devote a whole night watching a card for. Fighters are less spotlighted and cards are bloated with boring fighters and matchups. I called that happening as soon as the fox deal started ramping up the amount of cards. At the time I was told "how can you be mad about more stuff to see" but I was right (not trying to score points just remembering). Add into the fact that Ronda and then Conor brought in some of the worst fans on earth and the PSP threads started to nosedive in quality and I just kinda gave up entirely on watching MMA.

It's hosed, I've been enjoying boxing way more these past years despite the scoring being criminal and my favorite fighters getting screwed. I know I unleashed a boring rant but the quote in the OP hit home. Also when I read the rosters outside the UFC I was surprised by all the names I didn't realize were cut/ how I actually knew those names and was interested in a lot of them. Mousasi, Nelson, Rory, Josh Thomson, Cruickshank. Those are all fighters I would be excited to see on a card and have interesting personalities for better or worse. Bellator actually looks fun after reading that OP.

I kinda want to get back into watching MMA a little bit but probably stick to B-league. Is there a discord for watching these cards? I remember years ago the IRC channel was still really active and a lot of people would get on for funny B league cards but IRC is basically dead now.

#mma is still going but there were a core group of crazy people that would watch every single b league card and they're all either homeless, dead, or in prison now. it's still pretty good for every UFC and most bellator cards though

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GrV8alTOk

I am both exciting and dreading this guy coming back, his fights are normally always so good, but hes getting old now.

Making money off his toddler seems to not have been enough to pay the bills.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Seltzer posted:

This is me, also. The UFC’s average fighter skill level is probably the highest it’s ever been, but I could not care less about the sport. Maybe I’ll catch highlights on YouTube later, but sitting down to watch an entire card spread across 6 hours on 3 channels and a streaming service will never happen.

I would rather go to a local b league card, or watch former ufc dudes on bellator, than watch ufc.

I think the fox deal could have been good as a a feeder-style system to hype up new prospects and get casual viewers interested, but they decided to oversaturate with a card every weekend instead, occasionally two. Combined with the rebook deal it just watered down every event and killed all the personality that makes it fun to watch.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 6, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of former UFC dudes on Bellator!

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1070543653888774144

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Crop Crop, stop it. You're embarrassing your grand kids.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
He's on the longest winning streak of his career.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

TastyAvocado posted:

He's on the longest winning streak of his career.

Huh. You’re right. However, his last three wins were against a guy with no Wikipedia page, a guy who is almost fifty and has a 27-20 record, and a guy whose entire MMA resume is like seven C-league fights.

I guess as long as Cro Cop swims in shallow waters, it might not be so bad to have him around for a few more years.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Let's not forget that he first retired after getting KO'ed by Nelson seven years ago. While not completely shot like Chuck, I do worry about the permanent damage that a Big Country haymaker could do.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Ditch posted:

Let's not forget that he first retired after getting KO'ed by Nelson seven years ago. While not completely shot like Chuck, I do worry about the permanent damage that a Big Country haymaker could do.

I recall he just fatly laid on him dealing weak shots, it's probably going to be more of the same.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

My MMA viewership started with Tito/Ken 2 and also fell off a cliff, sometime around 2013 when Silva snapped his leg. I caught UFC 229 and it felt like a completely alien experience even before Khabib jumped into the crowd

I watched Fighting In The Age Of Loneliness and it does kind of make me want to seek out some new stuff, though. I've never seen a Bellator show and barely watched Pride when it existed.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

When’s the last time Roy hurt anyone with a punch?

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

I wonder if it's money or just not being able to not fight/train.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

am0kgonzo posted:

I wonder if it's money or just not being able to not fight/train.

i doubt its money. he has been really successful in rizin .. if you ask me, you might as well do something interesting with your time while you're still alive. lots of athletes compete past their peak, some even go into the amateur or masters ranks to do it purely as a hobby

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 6, 2018

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

FishBowlRobot posted:

When’s the last time Roy hurt anyone with a punch?

bigfoot?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

i doubt its money. he has been really successful in rizin .. if you ask me, you might as well do something interesting with your time while you're still alive. lots of athletes compete past their peak, some even go into the amateur or masters ranks to do it purely as a hobby

A Masters circuit would be cool. In reality, they send these aging lions in to be smashed by powerful young up-and-comers. I mean, not in the Roy Nelson case, but in general. It’d be good if we had a division just for fading legends, so they could continue competing without being used as resume padding for rising stars.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

A Masters circuit would be cool. In reality, they send these aging lions in to be smashed by powerful young up-and-comers. I mean, not in the Roy Nelson case, but in general. It’d be good if we had a division just for fading legends, so they could continue competing without being used as resume padding for rising stars.

i agree .. everyone made fun of vitor for suggesting it but most sports have masters brackets. i think people will watch it for one reason or another

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We just had a Master's circuit fight and I'm still scrubbing the shame off.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

that's like grand master's for chuck. i would pay to see vitor freed of drug testing and fighting tito and rampage and sonnen. i don't want to see any of those guys younger than 35

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1070868064286195713

Its going to be three 3 rounds of pure boxing!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

i agree .. everyone made fun of vitor for suggesting it but most sports have masters brackets. i think people will watch it for one reason or another

I’d watch it. I think the whole “the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak” thing is a problem in all sports, but even more so in combat sports. No matter how far over the hill you are in MMA, some promoter will put you in a cage, and let you add another concussion to your resume, in order to make you a stepping stone for their fighter, or their promotion. Let’s give these guys a slightly less dangerous way to compete and get paid.

Of course...

CommonShore posted:

This is also true.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Three rounds and no decision.... Thats so loving stupid. The only upside is that Tenshin can go all out looking for power punches if the fight is 9 minutes but this just screams scam.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Exhibition boxing bout :lol:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Exhibition boxing bout :lol:

Floyd continuing his rich tradition of leaving people feeling like they wasted their time and money watching him in a ring.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Somehow this is even lamer than I expected. I really appreciate Floyd not wanting to give the tiniest advantage in the rules to the guy he outweighs by 25 lbs.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHUUF3Ju8Qo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are there any legends of gentler fixing in Pride than straight up works? I'm watching a few Pride grappling fights right now and dudes are fighting as if they were told "don't throw too many strikes in this one."

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its a fine line between exhibition matches and match fixing .. in cycling there is the saitama criterium, a japanese road race with predetermined winners, usually the world champion and the years tour de france winner take the first two spots, and then a popular japanese rider finishes third. there's also the keirin which is gambled on but also heavily fixed. on the other hand in sumo match fixing is a huge scandal whenever it happens. so i guess the nuance is really the difference between bob sapp and illegal fraud

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

in cycling there is the saitama criterium, a japanese road race with predetermined winners, usually the world champion and the years tour de france winner take the first two spots, and then a popular japanese rider finishes third. there's also the keirin which is gambled on but also heavily fixed

This is so weird

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Seltzer posted:

This is so weird

well, wrestling has its own appeal too, right? though keirin results are fixed because of yakuza influence and i imagine most of the betting is essentially some form of money laundering. or maybe you might have two or more separate gambling rings trying to have their guy win .. very hard in bike racing because its much easier to take another rider out of the race with tactics than it is to actually win yourself. regardless though, it remains really popular cos the riders are very seriously skilled and uniquely strong

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

its a fine line between exhibition matches and match fixing .. in cycling there is the saitama criterium, a japanese road race with predetermined winners, usually the world champion and the years tour de france winner take the first two spots, and then a popular japanese rider finishes third. there's also the keirin which is gambled on but also heavily fixed. on the other hand in sumo match fixing is a huge scandal whenever it happens. so i guess the nuance is really the difference between bob sapp and illegal fraud

Sorry I don't mean exhibition matches - I mean matches that played out as grappling heavy. I hate to draw attention to it because Sakuraba owns and he's a saint and probably the coolest ever, but in his fights against Carlos Newton and Vernon White, his opponents throw conspicuously few strikes from really any position. There's one point where Newton is in the perfect position to start unloading for what could become fight-ending ground and pound and he just sorta sits there and looks out into the crowd. And then you have Bas going on like "uhhh... it's a code of honour thing" on the post-facto pbp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

#mma is still going but there were a core group of crazy people that would watch every single b league card and they're all either homeless, dead, or in prison now. it's still pretty good for every UFC and most bellator cards though

im dead

but last time I watched a live card at home #mma had the same guys as 2007 in it

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 7, 2018