Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is the reason why there are such few Asian fighters in the UFC due to them sticking to ONE and Rizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what was the deal with Bob Sapp? Did he really try when fighting or were his fights fixed?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CarlCX posted:

The thing with Sapp is sometimes it was neither and sometimes it was both.

Like, if you go back to his kickboxing days and watch the fights with Ernesto Hoost that made people take him seriously, on one hand he is definitely genuinely trying to fight the best kickboxer in the world despite being an amateur, but on the other the referee, who also happened to be a K-1 executive, is visibly in the tank for him and basically throws the second fight his way. If you look at his early MMA wins, he's really trying, and the fights aren't fixed, but they also don't have to be because he's at his biggest, roidiest prime and he's fighting people like Kiyoshi Tamura whom he outweighs by like 170 pounds, or Yoshihiro Takayama who, with all of the love in the world for the man, was a terrible fighter. Bob Sapp has 12 MMA wins, and of those 12, 7 had never won (or, in most cases, even fought) an MMA fight before and the remaining five were 100+ pounds underweight, professional jobbers with more losses than wins or, in one case, a TV comedian.

He was trying, but he was also given fights that could barely be called fights. It's only really when you get into this last decade of his career where he's done nothing but lose that you get into the fixed fights, and then they're fixed in the sense that 90% of the time Sapp extremely does not give a gently caress about the fights themselves and is just there for the paycheck and will gladly drop like a sack of potatoes if anyone touches him.

I see.

Because I saw one gif of him pummeling a kickboxing champion, yet he loses to this little "Giant Killer" Japanese dude.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. How trained was Bob Sapp exactly? Also when did he "stop trying"?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 28, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Minowa actually didn't beat Bob Sapp?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So do any of th se promotions have a snowballs chance in hell of rivaling the UFC?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CarlCX posted:

No, not even remotely. The last time there was potential competition was Pride in the mid-2000s and Strikeforce in the early 2010s, and both also failed so spectacularly to manage their own size that they got bought out by the UFC for surprisingly small amounts of money relative to what one might expect.

What you basically have now are a few promotions that are regionally successful--more people in Japan care about Rizin than the UFC, etc.--but none of them have substantive international reach. In America it isn't even remotely close. The most prominent non-UFC promotion in America is Bellator and they don't even have a fight card booked for 2021 yet and it's loving February.

Why did they all fail while UFC succeeded?

Foul Fowl posted:

no, or at least not for a very long time. they're either paper tigers or running on the last fumes of a bygone era.

I assume the latter refers to RIZIN?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why are so many MMA promotions tied to the criminal underworld?

TheKingslayer posted:

I also don't think it can be discounted that the pre-Zuffa rep that the UFC brand had helped. I mean to this day I hear people talk about, "training UFC"

I don't understand what "training UFC" means.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow thanks for the effort post CarlCX.

Was/is the UFC the "best" promotion to win out in the MMA wars? Like would things be better if say PRIDE or Strikeforce ended up dominating?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I feel sad for getting into MMA too late. Pride sounds awesome with it's soccer kicks, 10 minute rounds, and freakshow fights.

They sound like the Sega of MMA promotions to the Nintendo UFC.

I'm sorry.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mekchu posted:

You should be sorry for sullying Nintendos name. If anything UFC is the Xbox. Bloated, arrogant, and just bought itself talent rather than cultivated it.

But the Xbox kills all of their acquired talent though.

Foul Fowl posted:

nah mma is better than ever now, a mid tier guy of today would be one of the best fighters of the mid 00's. i'm with you on the 10 minute round though, would flush everyone with bad cardio right out of the ufc.

My impression of pre-2010s UFC was that most of the professional fighters would essentially fit right into your local smoker today. Basically anyone who seriously trained with average or above-average genetics could be a professional fighter.

CM Punk may have been a UFC/PRIDE fighter in the 90s and 2000s fighting in 2010s.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but it was way more fun to watch. Mismatches, fighters with glaring weaknesses & strengths than just an all over MMA background, it lead to finishes. MMA is undisputably at a higher level than ever but I'm far more likely to go back and watch a '90s UFC show than I am whatever the next UFC event is. The ruleset helps but honestly it just used to be chaos in the most wonderful way.

Old UFC seems like Street Fighter come to life.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I thought Yoel was signed with the UFC?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1364233763207667716

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Enson Inoue? That dude’s a dumbass. I recall him in an interview with Joe Rogan saying something along the lines of “You know when people think of the yakuza they only think of the bad stuff they do like human trafficking. But they have HONOR.” I have to assume his excuse for Sudario is something like “Well it’s an ancient sumo tradition to assault people of lower rank than you.”

I was about to link the video in question to you for greater context but I realized that I already did so and that's how you know about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010