Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting the Christmas tree today. I find it all a huge faff and would rather just not have one, but the kiddo will love it :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

My gut instinct is to be repulsed at this and I'm not sure why, so now I'm intrigued.

Fruit infused IPAs are the big thing at the moment. People are putting mango puree in beers and poo poo. Some of them are actually really nice. At the moment some big Tescos have Vocation's blueberry waffle stout - give one a go if you see 'em, they're amazing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

Yeah, the vocation Collab waffle stout is decent, very light for a stout.

It's really, really drinkable, and I'm not usually a stout person at all. I'm not quite sure how Vocation can turn out the beers they do at the prices they charge, but I'm definitely not complaining. Their Yakima Pilsner is lovely too.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hi, dumb amerigoon here with a probably dumb question. I keep seeing people say lately: "It's time to stop Brexit" or calling for another referendum or some such. Is that a thing you can actually do at this point? I feel like I remember hearing months ago that the UK had officially enacted some EU charter to begin the divorce proceedings, and that there's no legal mechanism to go back once that's been done. Is that mistaken? Are we assuming that the UK/EU would rather go 'well just kidding' wrt to that charter if it's the only way to stave off disaster? Are people just being stupid?

Thanks.

I think some EU court or another is currently deliberating on whether or not we can reverse course and rescind Article 50 (the mechanism by which we notified the EU we were leaving). Consensus seems to be that they'll probably say we can if we choose to.

Trouble is, if someone does do that without another vote, we'll end up with riots and civil unrest probably, because the country is split down the middle almost exactly on people's opinion on this. So that's why lots of people now are calling for a second referendum on exactly what we should do, once May's current deal inevitably can't get through Parliament. However, the form that referendum might take, or the result of it, is hard to say. We'll likely end up with another very close vote that will at best make half the population happy, and at worst just gently caress us all if there's an actual mandate for No Deal.

So, short answer is: nobody has even the slightest clue what's going to happen.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only time I ever drank Strongbow was the occasional snakebite at my uni club and bars. One time I bought one in the nightclub, turned around, and spilt it all over a girl all dressed up in a skimpy light coloured dress. She was extremely pissed off and I just ducked away into the crowd. That blackcurrant cordial stains like you wouldn't believe.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone else getting that blue banner in their upper left corner? Is it a Christmas thing?

It's extremely annoying and I want it to go away.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you're using ublock origin, add a new line to "My filters":
forums.somethingawful.com##.ribbon-content

Thanks friend, it's gone!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has ronya bought themselves an avatar as a final message and peaced out from the thread, or? I'm pretty sure that's a new one.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Poison Jam posted:

Yes and I will stop

Wait, so are you terminally ill, or are you worried No Deal will cause you to not be able to get medicine for a manageable preexisting condition?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ash Crimson posted:

Ah yes that is analogous to a country in a union loving over the others so they can live their dream of being an independent empire again

are britane

edit: you're more angry over me posting an insane hypothetical scenario (which would never happen) in which england would burn in hellfire then you are about england drowning the rest of us in it's own poo poo and piss, which is an on going process which has ramificaitons that could last for decades

Who are you even posting at? Do we in this thread represent the entirety of England to you? There are tens of millions of people in England, with different opinions and desires and beliefs. Spouting off itt about how terrible England is, like it's one monolithic entity, is silly. It's also pointless. What are you looking for? Would you like us to agree with you that England Bad?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is the thread always this spicy on a Sunday night?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Starting to think that Ash Crimson actually believes England is just one giant person

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

i love your stupid botched political system

I think bodged is a better word. Bodged together over centuries.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
hahaah what bullshit how can he say this with a straight face

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
surely what he's saying now is enough for the DUP to never, ever support this agreement

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is Bercow still off in his office deciding what to do? The Guardian's live blog has stopped so they obviously don't forsee any further happenings tonight. I was all ready for some hot hot hot late night parliament action

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1069704354926608386

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So what does this actually mean? There's a motion of contempt tomorrow - presumably there'll be a vote on that? What would the consequences of the vote be? Not just in terms of what it might imply for the government, but the actual consequences of this individual vote. Who's in contempt? The entire government, or just the Attorney General for refusing to release the documents? This is all confusing as gently caress

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is that it for the day? Thought this was going on until 11?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rakosi posted:

I want a rees-mogg audiobook of 50 shades of grey

mate im trying to eat my lunch

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do we like Bercow? I know he used to be a Tory before he became speaker, and there was that bullying stuff recently, but I can't help but grin at his turn of phrase a lot of the time.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got an interview with Royal Mail on Monday for a postman job. Do I wear a suit (luckily I do own one, but only 'cos my Nan died a few months back and I couldn't get away with not wearing one to the funeral) or just smart casual? I'm nervous as gently caress, been self employed for almost 6 years now.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll wear the suit. It's not like they're gonna take it as a negative, even if I will look (and feel) like a bit of a wanker if nobody else is. And yeah, the reason I only bought a suit when forced to for a funeral is because I loving hate wearing them and don't want a job where I'd have to. But right now, this job fits perfectly around my hours with regards to kid and school etc, gets me out and walking and exercising and interacting with people, the money's decent, and it leaves me time in the evening to carry on doing the freelance writing that will still be making up the majority of my income. If wearing a suit for a morning increases my chances of getting it, I'll do it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The thing is, if I don't wear the suit, all I have are jeans and t-shirts really. Maybe just the trousers and the shirt. I feel like I'm overthinking this.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait, what? Are they still at it in Parliament?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just hold the vote today and save 4 days. There is no way whatsoever it is passing now. 0%. It's dead. Use those 4 days to try and figure out what the gently caress to do next. What a farce.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just a little tidbit that I found pretty enlightening. The MP's income declarations were linked earlier in the Guardian live blog.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/181203/181203.pdf

Corbyn's trip to New York:

Economy flights, cheap hotel as a delegate for an important and worthy cause.

Boris' trip to New York:

First class flights for him and a friend, ridiculously expensive hotel to collect an award wanking him off.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know why I'm getting ads on Facebook despite having uBlock Origin installed, but lol

It's a video of a man who says that it's really important for his business that we don't let any more forrins in

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1070698507034611714

:yeshaha:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1070708015261732866

They're expecting to lose the vote by 200

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1070727441776328706

For some reason the Chief Whip allowed ITN to film him getting made to look utterly useless by Philip Davies, Bellend. Christ they must be desperate.

hahaha how did they think this would make them look good? is that really all they do?

"oh pretty please vote with us, we reaaaaally need you to"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/06/no-deal-brexit-could-cause-chaos-across-kent-warns-council

Can't wait for the corpses and rubbish to pile up in the street here in Kent if we get No Deal.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Can't wait for a pointless delay to stretch this poo poo out until the new year

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How in the gently caress are the Tory numbers still so high? What the gently caress.

Also :lol: at Tommy Robinson leading to a bunch of UKIP people resigning but their numbers going up.

I wonder what that might mean about UKIP voters :thunk:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Undead Hippo posted:

But surely house building is self funding as long as it isn't being given away for free?

If the state builds houses, then rents them out or sells them, it gets more back than it costs to build them. That can be plowed back into building more houses- in the same manner as a building society. The state can afford to go substantially below the current market rates and still pay for costs- but even just building and selling at rate is going to long term address the housing shortage. As long as there is still a demand for housing at a cost higher than it takes to build new housing, this can continue indefinitely. If there's no longer a demand for housing, then stop building. Job done- housing shortage ended.

But then housing prices would go down!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ffs just get it over with, I was really looking forward to Tuesday

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1071529129084903424

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1071533287171084288

:thunk:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never knew liking Bounties was a controversial thing. Bounties are great.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Esther McVey saying she'd run for leader. BoJo of course refusing to rule it out. They quite obviously expect May to be gone this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
gonna have nightmares about that Andy Serkis impression tonight, jesus