Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haveblue posted:

My gaming resolution is 1080p :xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd:

bet u gave yourself a high five after posting this

i mean i would've

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fuckers can't even make jokes in 4k, get outta here with this poo poo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
All my jokes come in at a rock solid 30fps

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axelblaze posted:

Looking back this was probably my favorite tweet of the whole year and no I don't know what the gently caress is going on here other than a weird account pushing his gimmick to new uncharted places
https://twitter.com/SegaCDgames/status/1027324819635924994

I picture this being an FMV game just slightly below in quality from other FMV games released at the time, which is saying something because all FMV games were terrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My last game played of 2018 is probably going to either be Gran Turismo Sport, or Tree of Savior.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Steamworld Heist is pretty fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Steamworld Heist is pretty fun

It's very good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My gaming resolution will be 1440p, but time and money willing, native 4k.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On PC I am still 1080p, I will need a whole new PC in order to go any higher, plus new monitor. But console gaming its 4K but usually fluctuates because that is all of the rage now in console games to keep frame rate consistent.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I got a new monitor for xmas and I jumped from 1080p 60fps right into big boy 1440p 144hz freesync territory. Its actually pretty impressive, like more so than I was expecting. Games look like they're running better even though I'm actually getting less fps than before.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd rather not even get a 4k display since I prefer framerate over resolution and I definitely don't want to spend money on a GPU capable of 4k at 60fps

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

I'd rather not even get a 4k display since I prefer framerate over resolution and I definitely don't want to spend money on a GPU capable of 4k at 60fps

4K/60fps does look pretty amazing though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

Yeah child soldiers didn't exist before 2002

I mean, I hadn't heard of a nation recruiting child soldiers en masse as mercenary units to fight a proxy war in another country until MGS2, yes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My 2019 excited-about list is something like Atelier Lulua, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Six Ages now on a real system

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it feels almost unfair that Sekiro and DMC5 come out the same month

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love the intro cutscene, and soundtrack to Metal Gear Solid 2 and watch that intro on Youtube pretty often cause i'm weird.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

which is saying something because all FMV games were terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUDW1vv02hY

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my gamer resolution is 640x480 because I'm going to try to play more oldschool dos games and see what I missed out on

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my gamer resolution changes on every camera change and makes me impossible to play on a scaler

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Incredibly bad UI's if I remember correctly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hE8Fh15FNE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2019 is going to be the year that light gun games make a come back, but in the Battle Royale space.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

my gamer resolution is 640x480 because I'm going to try to play more oldschool dos games and see what I missed out on

If you never played it give Riven a shot. I think it's windows 95 instead of dos but whatever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I love Supper Mario Broth
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1079805430400978944

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What about the star spirits in paper Mario

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m going to stop buying open world games at full price in 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That’s actually the worst Broth yet. So many holes you can poke in it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mario will not end until he has collecting as many stars as exist in the entire universe

Super Mario: Entropy Road

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
This year I resolved to beat FF7, and I did, with under two days to go.

I should do some other white whale this year too. Something obvious and old that I’ve played before, but never beaten. And I can’t think of a drat thing. :negative:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I should do some other white whale this year too. Something obvious and old that I’ve played before, but never beaten. And I can’t think of a drat thing. :negative:

Its final time to beat Pac-Man

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just picked up Okami HD on Switch. First off, just want to say I think the coin system on Switch is awesome. I got about $10 off and ended up only having to pay about $4.

That said, holy poo poo I had forgotten how bad the tutorializing is in this game. It feels like you're constantly clicking through Issun dialogue as he explains something totally obvious. Still, very pretty game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Andrast posted:

IMHO 1440p is the current sweet spot for performance versus high resolution on decent gaming PC hardware. Free/G-Sync makes a huge, huge difference.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Dewgy posted:

Just use my resolution from last year and continue the trend: Complete every main line Final Fantasy game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dewgy posted:

Dragon Quest 7

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Just use my resolution from last year and continue the trend: Complete every main line Final Fantasy game.

Remember that FFX-2 and Lightning Returns, the two best Final Fantasy games, are canonically mainline.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ace combat 7, re2r, dmc5, seikiro... 3 months of epic gamin starts in just a few weeks

This takes more than 1 year's resolution

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just discovered PSVR so 2x960x1080 is my New Years resolution

Just watched Bird Box

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dating sim tech is finally coming along

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Barudak posted:

Its final time to beat Pac-Man

Oh god. Maybe I'll try to find out how to get a kill screen in Baby Pac-Man for ReplayFX this year though...

CubeTheory posted:

I'm about 1/3 of the way there now so maybe? Beaten 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, and Mystic Quest so far. And... maybe 8 a long time ago, I don't remember.

What hurtling said. :gonk: I'm also filing "Finish Persona 3 and 4" in this same bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
free hyper light drifter.