Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Well I binged through season 2 and 3 over the weekend.
What a great show! I love it. Normally when I watch shows I don’t really care that much and actually give up on them before they’re done but this one kept me glued to my seat.

I got so immersed into it I actually had to do a reality check at the end of the show. Had to remind myself a love like David and Marcy is just something that happens in movies and is unrealistic to expect in real life, especially with today’s app enabled hookup culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I got my coworker watching and he just sent me a message about how much he loves David and Marci. I'm pretty sure he's going to call out of work the day after he finishes S3.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mr. Powers posted:

I got my coworker watching and he just sent me a message about how much he loves David and Marci. I'm pretty sure he's going to call out of work the day after he finishes S3.

They are the best.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Kraftwerk posted:

They are the best.

Second only to 0027.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kraftwerk posted:

They are the best.

They're the best humanity has to offer. That's literally what they represent.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
All y'all need to realize you can't apply laws of causality to a time travel show.

I'm not actually sure if the time travel aspect would work on the basis of "the point where someone enters the past, the entire future gets rewritten, including the reason they got sent to the past". Time travel just basically reverts the universe to a point, inserts the time traveler and then resumes. Does the show have anything that would require multiple realities or outside-of-time existence?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Protocol Omega" seems to create a new alternate reality, and the existing timeline plugs along but can't be traveled to.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think I've said it before, but just toss around the work quantum and it makes sense. Decisions changing the timeline? Quantum parallel universe are all there. The director can see them all due to the quantum main frame it runs on. Protocol Omega is the natural conclusion of most of the parallel universes where success was not found and the director diverts resources away.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

I think I've said it before, but just toss around the work quantum and it makes sense. Decisions changing the timeline? Quantum parallel universe are all there. The director can see them all due to the quantum main frame it runs on. Protocol Omega is the natural conclusion of most of the parallel universes where success was not found and the director diverts resources away.

That did kind of bug me at the end how they said it was the one protocol they never expected to deal with. Since there must be a gazillion timelines wouldn't it be probable that the director would go "gently caress it I'm out" on most of them?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but surely the Director wouldn't send us on that one! :downs:

It's the anthropic principle in reverse, nobody expects to be in the dead end timeline

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

All y'all need to realize you can't apply laws of causality to a time travel show.

I'm not actually sure if the time travel aspect would work on the basis of "the point where someone enters the past, the entire future gets rewritten, including the reason they got sent to the past". Time travel just basically reverts the universe to a point, inserts the time traveler and then resumes. Does the show have anything that would require multiple realities or outside-of-time existence?
That’s what I’d thought the “no Travelers before the latest Traveler” rule was supposed to suggest, with the caveat of “except messengers, messengers are different because children.”

My reading of Protocol Omega was that from the Director POV, every time the Director sent in a Traveler to a particular point in time it would then, as a courtesy, send a Protocol Omega messenger to to a later point in the timeline to tell everyone how hosed they were. Then, later, it would slip new Travelers into the gap between the latest Traveler and the Protocol Omega messenger, overwriting the Omega’d timeline.

The Director sends the Omega messenger every time because it’s eventually going to stop sending Travelers either because a. the Grand Plan is now complete or b. the future is entirely without hope (or, secret option c. the Director is decommissioned through other means) but no-one ever actually lives in an Omega’d timeline until the very end of everything, which is what we saw in the finale.

...I guess???

I dunno, it’s time travel. poo poo’s weird.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Some Strange Flea posted:

That’s what I’d thought the “no Travelers before the latest Traveler” rule was supposed to suggest, with the caveat of “except messengers, messengers are different because children.”

My favourite bit is when they're discussing this in season 2 "wait is that how it works?" "nah, it's still information being sent" "ohhhhh yeah"

I really don't like Protocol Omega and the loophole they use at the end. They both feel very clumsily stapled onto the existing rules, which existed to stop the show being about that exact kind of time fuckery.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite bit is when they're discussing this in season 2 "wait is that how it works?" "nah, it's still information being sent" "ohhhhh yeah"

I really don't like Protocol Omega and the loophole they use at the end. They both feel very clumsily stapled onto the existing rules, which existed to stop the show being about that exact kind of time fuckery.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. I'm ok w/ Omega, in retrospect it seems obvious something like that exists but I do kinda wish they'd ironed out their time travel rules with the framework of the show. In the first season it was just the single timeline, the director emailing consciousness back in time based on its super intelligent calculations or whatever. Now with multiple timelines, Phillip being able to see some of them, the director manipulating all of them but probably not giving a gently caress about most of them, so which version of humanity is the director supposed to be saving?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Children are used because using them as a messenger doesn't kill them. If someone is about to die, the director sometimes uses them as a messenger and then they die.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

They didn't make that exception. It was part of the rule that a new message had to be after the most recent traveler and vice versa.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Well, gently caress.

So the whole thing’s just a big quantum rigamarole of stuff, with a bunch of defunct timelines spinning off into oblivion?

That sucks, the Director sucks! I’m with 001, let’s just live in the internet forever and then blow the whole thing up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Well, gently caress.

So the whole thing’s just a big quantum rigamarole of stuff, with a bunch of defunct timelines spinning off into oblivion?

That sucks, the Director sucks! I’m with 001, let’s just live in the internet forever and then blow the whole thing up.

Honestly the plot never states multiple timelines can simultaneously exist. Protocol Omega may just be a "we have failed" announcement.

It also fucks with the show's premise if you assume multiple timelines exist and the Director is aware of them. The Director being aware of what has changed, maybe with a data packet transferred with the Traveler, sure, but being able to timeline-surf like that would make the entire purpose of the Director more or less nonsense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly the plot never states multiple timelines can simultaneously exist. Protocol Omega may just be a "we have failed" announcement.

Not explicitly, but the characters acted like they were just going to live on while the mission to save the world goes on "elsewhere".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lycus posted:

Not explicitly, but the characters acted like they were just going to live on while the mission to save the world goes on "elsewhere".

It's a Canadian science fiction show. I'll give 50% odds each to "we just forgot about how it was supposed to work", "we hastily edited the nonsense bits out of the show", "we changed the rules on the fly" and "the MST3K rule".

EDIT: The "elsewhere" could mean "the future" from the characters' perspective.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Cojawfee posted:

Children are used because using them as a messenger doesn't kill them. If someone is about to die, the director sometimes uses them as a messenger and then they die.

They showed this so well when the Director has a conversation with Grace/0027 through a dozen or so dying hospital patients.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Flesh Forge posted:

They showed this so well when the Director has a conversation with Grace/0027 through a dozen or so dying hospital patients.

Yeah, this show has a great sense of style even if some of the plot falls apart if you look too closely.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

...and it's gone.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/travelers-canceled-netflix-1203126314/

E: protocol Omega.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Now one of us has to go back in time to tell Erick McCormack that Travelers is a failure and he shouldn't make the show.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cojawfee posted:

Now one of us has to go back in time to tell Erick McCormack that Travelers is a failure and he shouldn't make the show.

No, he just needs to make a different show called Protocol Omega.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Oh poo poo. This makes me sad, but maybe it's better this way considering the potential of really really bad storylines with a Season 4.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The episode shouted "series finale" to me, anyway.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lycus posted:

They should have done the "Traveller program #516,822 failed. Starting traveller program #516,823..." thing that someone suggested earlier. That would have made it a proper finale.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

Honestly, I'd like to see some series that were told on creation that they'd only run for 3 seasons and to write appropriately. I think it would make for a lot better series and writing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I feel like it was a series finale because they thought they weren't going to get more. The end of the season got really intense and there was plenty of story they could tell. Since they did wrap it up, this is fine, but I image the decision would go differently if it weren't wrapped up with a bow.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

gently caress

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm surprised it's been cancelled. Didn't look too expensive to produce. I've heard from multiple friends, who otherwise don't really watch sci-fi, that they've watched it. So it's kinda puzzling.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

lol gently caress.

I just binged all three seasons a week ago after it sat on my Netflix watchlist forever.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's a good place to end the series.

If they continued, I think there's going to be a lot of retread in storylines. Without 001, there's not really any antagonist for The Director.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I'm happy it ended where it did because David and Marcys epilogue was just perfect.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that wasn't really "our" Marcy, but a minor character that was just in a few flashbacks.

That's really a good reason for why the Director hosed up. Host-Marcy does have a legitimate normal background, the Director just didn't know about the brief time after 001 brain-damaged her.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 2, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Really seems weird Marcy was never connected to her old life at any point. Would have been cool if one of her family members who wondered what happened to her after she disappeared ran into her after being replaced with a traveler and going back to normal.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that I didn't find the personal lives of the travelers all that interesting, and I wish we would have seen more from the future and time travel aspect. But it was good while it lasted.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Binged the entire show in the past several weeks, great show. Random thoughts:

- My first impressions were "wait these are time travellers, why are they so unprofessional" but then it dawned on me that that's the point, they're humans and can make bad calls. And I loved the idea of a show about flawed time travellers.

- Didn't like the Marcy reset as i thought it just un-did a whole bunch of character development, but they wrote their way out of that by letting her retrieve all that development from repressed memories. Clever, i like it

- I'm not sure I really ever liked the kidnapping/torture angle. And even now I don't really get where that came from. At first it feels like they introduced it for shock value without a plan, and then worked in the 001 angle, but I don't get it - why was he kidnapping them? Why was he asking when they were from (surely he knew this?)? Why not just kill them if he thinks them a threat to his anonymity? That whole arc makes no sense to me. To be honest i kinda got lost with the whole Simon/001 relationship too.

- I love time travel poo poo but I'm super picky about how time travel is depicted (for instance Looper is ridiculous with the "disappearing fingers" scene). I thought this show did a reasonably good (if not flawless) job but I'm not sure i liked the "multiple timelines" stuff at the end. They really should have stuck to one timeline, it wouldn't have taken anything away from the show.

- 17 Minutes was awesome

- That episode with the boy, also awesome

- I'm glad to see the show was cancelled because, frankly, the ending ("the end. or is it?" as another poster put it) was perfect and wrapped the series up and if they tried to eek out a s4 I reckon it would sour the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
001 did that to get information. He was the first person to come back, he doesn't know anything aside from that. In order to know what the director is up to, he has to get the information from other travelers. He can't just walk up to them, because the director will find him and kill him. If he instead mysteriously captures them and tortures them, it looks like a government agency is doing it and no one will suspect that it's actually the first traveler who actually didn't die in the world trade center.