Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm furious about our immigration policy. It's racist, horrifying, and we were literally putting children in internment camps. I'm sure we still are. This poo poo has killed people and should be condemned from the rooftops by the whole loving world. It's a crime against human decency and we should be welcoming immigrants with open arms by the boatload because they work harder, commit fewer crimes, and make this country the economic and scientific juggernaut - and because it's right! What we're doing is not okay, and yes, the fact that this is what we're doing makes me angry because it goes against everything our nation should be - against everything ever nation should be.

There's enough to criticize without implying that we're tattooing people's arms. That's it.

Taking "the high road" in splitting hairs on precisely how dedicated ICE and CBP are to their holocaust cosplay is a terrible decision. Those policies led directly to those images and it doesn't matter who exactly was holding the marker. If they weren't being loving nazis then poo poo that draws extremely blunt comparisons to the holocaust wouldn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Huh I understood way more of that than I figured. Like 10%.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Syrian Lannister posted:

In good news, that Dallas cop who shot the guy in his own apartment is being charged with murder, and not manslaughter

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/dallas-police-officer-botham-jean/index.html

They're gonna let her walk

They're gonna say "murder as a charge was prosecutorial overreach" and she's gonna get away with killing an innocent man because all cops are shitters and the "justice" system in Dallas isn't gonna lock up a cop

The last time a Dallas cop was convicted of murder they literally played "Russian Roulette but *I* pull the trigger" with a goddamned child handcuffed in their cruiser, and for the heinous act of literally pressing their duty revolver to the kid's head and blowing his brains out that cop served two and a half years

Make of this what you will

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's also the fact that the reason they're getting numbers in the first place is because we're blocking a lawful point of entry in direct violation of ~international norms~ and actual laws. You don't block that poo poo, that's the entire point of claiming asylum.

It's like showing up to an emergency room with profound bleeding but you're refused timely service because there's too much blood on the floor now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah keep in mind every single "crisis" at the border for the entirety of Trump's tenure in office has, is and will be absolutely intentional and purposely manufactured specifically for the inevitable legislative response that will follow. Don't for a single loving nanosecond fall for the Fox propaganda that our borders are becoming lovely places because of any actions other than those specifically and directly taken by American policy makers and the racist cumstains enforcing them. Nothing that happens on the southern border is an accident, fully including the purposeful human suffering, deaths and social instability.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You know how people say “I don’t mind immigrants, but they should do the legal process”?

ICE is physically preventing them from doing that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm furious about our immigration policy. It's racist, horrifying, and we were literally putting children in internment camps. I'm sure we still are. This poo poo has killed people and should be condemned from the rooftops by the whole loving world. It's a crime against human decency and we should be welcoming immigrants with open arms by the boatload because they work harder, commit fewer crimes, and make this country the economic and scientific juggernaut - and because it's right! What we're doing is not okay, and yes, the fact that this is what we're doing makes me angry because it goes against everything our nation should be - against everything ever nation should be.

There's enough to criticize without implying that we're tattooing people's arms. That's it.

Glad people like you are here to actively distinguish between USA in 2018 and Nazi Germany.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Syrian Lannister posted:

In good news, that Dallas cop who shot the guy in his own apartment is being charged with murder, and not manslaughter

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/dallas-police-officer-botham-jean/index.html

This isn’t necessarily good news. They might be able to convict a cop of manslaughter because it’s way easier to prove than Murder in this case. Juries are (thought to be at least) hesitant to convict cops of the most serious crimes. Charging her with murder probably made it easier to beat the rap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's 💯 to help her beat the rain and I hope for the worst to be done against her.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Then there's the people that say getting citizenship is too easy or that we're just handing out money and benefits to illegals.

Like goddamn people, we don't hand out benefits to our own natural born citizens half the time.

It took my ex-fiance 13 years to get citizenship. She came here as a bona fide refugee fleeing an internationally recognized civil war. If anybody in her family had a criminal record while waiting then that person would probably not have gotten citizenship. Nowadays the Trump administration would have probably just said 'nah' and just denied it anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vasudus posted:

Then there's the people that say getting citizenship is too easy or that we're just handing out money and benefits to illegals.

Like goddamn people, we don't hand out benefits to our own natural born citizens half the time.

It took my ex-fiance 13 years to get citizenship. She came here as a bona fide refugee fleeing an internationally recognized civil war. If anybody in her family had a criminal record while waiting then that person would probably not have gotten citizenship. Nowadays the Trump administration would have probably just said 'nah' and just denied it anyway.

And take note of the date, 2008. It's gotten a WHOLE FUCKLOAD worse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah if you're from India right now the waitlist is 75 years

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Even Fox gave away the story yesterday when they admitted (let slip?) that the same sort of caravans have been happening forever and no one cared before, which I assume was "look now we're doing something about it" but also giving away that it's political theater.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird food bathtub posted:

And take note of the date, 2008. It's gotten a WHOLE FUCKLOAD worse.

This exact graphic is what changed me from "we need to fix our immigration laws but people shouldn't illegally immigrate anyway" to "open borders yesterday".

Also note this is from, of all places, the notorious Libertarian rag Reason Magazine.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Listen we're not literally wearing swastika armbands so comparing us to nazi germany is extremely misleading

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mods changed my name posted:

Listen we're not literally wearing swastika armbands so comparing us to nazi germany is extremely misleading

The arms on our swastikas go the other way

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I know it's not a rational thought, so I don't plan on really commenting on it in the course of a discussion, but even the image of putting numbers on immigrants' forearms conjures up something so visceral in me I'm loving beyond myself

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Since there’s too many to handle we ought to put them into certain areas, so that we can concentrate them in one spot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woof Blitzer posted:

Since there’s too many to handle we ought to put them into certain areas, so that we can concentrate them in one spot.

I thought they had that with the detention camps that were run by contractors

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

orange juche posted:

I thought they had that with the detention camps that were run by contractors

But there needs to be a better, less temporary solution. Something more final.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woof Blitzer posted:

But there needs to be a better, less temporary solution. Something more final.

While im sure a shower would be nice after crossing a hot desert, where are you going to get water to wash them off in a desert?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/26/rep-matt-shea-takes-credit-criticism-for-document-/

quote:

Washington state Rep. Matt Shea acknowledged Wednesday he had distributed a four-page manifesto titled “Biblical Basis for War,” which describes the Christian God as a “warrior,” details the composition and strategies of a “Holy Army” and condemns abortion and same-sex marriage.

The document is organized in 14 sections with multiple tiers of bullet points and a smattering of biblical citations. Under one heading, “Rules of War,” it makes a chilling prescription for enemies who flout “biblical law.” It states, “If they do not yield – kill all males.”

After the document was leaked online Tuesday, the Spokane Valley Republican insisted he was not promoting violence and that the message had been taken out of context.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
I'm not seeing the context in which using that sentence would be cool Matt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

While im sure a shower would be nice after crossing a hot desert, where are you going to get water to wash them off in a desert?

Don't forget they'll also need large industrial ovens to do some bread baking.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How in the gently caress do you take that out of context

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

How in the gently caress do you take that out of context

It's supposed to be a figure of speech guys! Kill them all and let the (republican) christian god sort them out, it's kind of a metaphore duh.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Because of this:

Sorry, but you guys are the baddies 100% now.

We are absolutely the baddies, but there's nothing in that article about the US pushing for people to have numbers drawn on their skin. The part you quoted was to get people off a literal bridge, which is not a good place to hang out.

Vasudus posted:

That's fair, at least we're only violating international asylum laws by blocking free movement to established ports of entry.

This is where the focus should be. Because this is the part that we're doing, intentionally, knowing that it's loving wrong.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2018

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1068610167862751232

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man, maybe a bit apathetic but it seems like every time there’s a big reveal that will surely get Trump this time! It all blows over and everything just carries on per usual with his hateful rhetoric and thinly veiled meddling with his plutocratic cronies

Trust me, I’d celebrate the day he actually got pinned for something, and subsequently punished, but idk

Just rambling here

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If anything it's showing just how dangerous it is to have the bulk of our so-called ethics as "regulations" or "bylaws" instead of actual, honest-to-god loving laws. Because they're all made by the rich and powerful to protect the rich and powerful, with ethics stuff mostly there to prevent something incredibly egregious that will rile up the common masses. But I don't really see a lot of that changing, even if the senate were flipped. Because Democrats abuse the system too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean every page of CE since forever has something on Trump that would absolutely gently caress the common citizen but nothing ever loving happens. I’m just disheartened about it all

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's the problem at the heart of it though. Not only are the senior admin people not common citizens, they don't give a poo poo about anything short of actual laws (for anybody that isn't Trump) and even actual laws can't stop Trump. We literally have no mechanism in place that can reign in a president (or cabinet member, sometimes) that just doesn't give a poo poo. Because it's never been a *real* problem before - you get the news to talk about it, a few soundbites from congress, and then they fall on their sword and gently caress off to K street. Not this time though.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This isn’t necessarily good news. They might be able to convict a cop of manslaughter because it’s way easier to prove than Murder in this case. Juries are (thought to be at least) hesitant to convict cops of the most serious crimes. Charging her with murder probably made it easier to beat the rap.

Wasabi the J posted:

It's 💯 to help her beat the rain and I hope for the worst to be done against her.

Uhhh the grand jury made the decision?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/msgtoobserver/status/1068714133825048577?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They are just pissed at having their asses handed to them by a bunch of ER doctors.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We support gun rights. Also gently caress you doctors and gently caress you athletes and please torture prisoners. Check out this cool guy we pay who is a known pedophile.

NRA members: we literally can’t do better than this! :shrug:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Uhhh the grand jury made the decision?

The DA files the charges, and decides what the charge is. Not the Grand Jury. And a Grand Jury win doesn’t mean poo poo really since they only see and hear what the DA has to say and show. They have a 95%+ win rate at the Grand Jury in a lot of jurisdictions. Also in some jurisdictions the accused has the right to appear before the Grand Jury.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It sucks that it's hard to find a non-NRA range but it's probably getting easier/will be easier if more companies refuse to underwrite or reinsure their asses.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAUXTON posted:

It sucks that it's hard to find a non-NRA range but it's probably getting easier/will be easier if more companies refuse to underwrite or reinsure their asses.

Maybe we need to form a alternative gun group, the American Firearm Association or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

American Firearm Association of America