Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fallom posted:

Dude have you not seen how he acts on twitter

Smart guy gets smarmy when dealing with morons sometimes, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm not a historian with a PhD or anything but from my understanding of history France would be fighting pretty hard for the bottom of the list of places that the wealthy elite should be pushing a hardline austerity agenda.

Just sayin'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm not a historian with a PhD or anything but from my understanding of history France would be fighting pretty hard for the bottom of the list of places that the wealthy elite should be pushing a hardline austerity agenda.

Just sayin'.

It's kind of surprising they can organize like that against cops but not to seize le pen and hurl her off the eiffel tower.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fister Roboto posted:

:cripes:

All he had to do was say "I apologize for my behavior and would like to make amends." But of course he had to go in with his typical "well actually" bullshit.

How can someone so smart be this loving stupid?

quote:

. As a scientist, I found this odd. Meanwhile, according to her blog posts, the drug and rape allegation comes from an assumption of what happened to her during a night that she cannot remember. It is as though a false memory had been implanted, which, because it never actually happened, had to be remembered as an evening she doesn’t remember. Nor does she remember waking up the next morning and going to the office. I kept a record of everything she posted, in case her stories morphed over time. So this is sad, which, for me, defies explanation

I too keep logs of my rape victims changing their feelings over time because this is sad, which for me, a smartman scientist and normal human being, defies explanation

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I don't get that part of it. I read the whole poo poo and was like "hmm maybe dude isn't milkshake duck" and then you reminded me of that bit I glossed over.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean even in the most charitable light of "just keeping record of the accusations", it's still "I printed out all of the blog posts accusing me of drugging and raping her" which is extremely creepy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At best he just outed himself as a sex pest

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1069021495131656192

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

watch this special handshake turn out to be a slap on the rear end and grabbing both breasts accompanied by clownlike honking noises

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually I think he's just on the spectrum really... which leads to a lot of sex pest behaviour

quote:

She is a talented, warm and friendly person — excellent traits for morale on a high pressure production. Practically everyone she knows on set gets a daily welcome-hug from her. I expressly rejected each hug offered frequently during the Production. But in its place I offered a handshake, and on a few occasions, clumsily declared, “If I hug you I might just want more.” My intent was to express restrained but genuine affection.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This is coming off as bullshit compared to even Al Frankens' misadventures in comedic photography.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Yeah seriously this is a huge loving nothingburger.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well yeah, Macron's the guy running the government? He's the guy that hosed with their benefits and increased the fuel tax.

Let them drive Teslas.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
At this point, the famous males that would surprise me if it turned out they were sexually harassing people has fallen to like... Mr. Rogers and that might be it? Maybe Paul F Tompkins only because he has worked with women a ton more than most comedians do, has never been accused of poo poo, and openly trash-talks people like CK, etc, and also he has no real clout to stomp out someone's career, so he doesn't really have the ability to silence someone through professional intimidation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I work in academia, and have worked for a for real terrible sexpest and worked for and with a lot of normal but definitely more socially awkward individuals, some on the spectrum, some just compulsive. The field attracts that sort.

Based just on what's available I'm not getting a true creep vibe from it. Dude might be awkward and made some others feel uncomfortable which is the kind of thing he needs to be called out on, but not seeing a lot just from this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why is it so hard for famous people to just say “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it / I’ve since learned from my mistakes, it won’t happen again, and I apologize for all the harm and anguish I’ve caused.”?

Instead of going “here’s what really happened.”?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
If Idris Elba turns out to be a creepy sex offender that abused his position, I might lock myself into my room and throw a temper tantrum. Like, 13 year-old learning the Backstreet Boys dissolved temper tantrum.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

"Well, actually," is a hell of a drug

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FrozenVent posted:

Why is it so hard for famous people to just say “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it / I’ve since learned from my mistakes, it won’t happen again, and I apologize for all the harm and anguish I’ve caused.”?

Very true.

As a scientist who is also married to a scientist, we're especially bad about this. We want to nitpick, analyze and explain everything and it's hard to shut it off. My wife and I both have had to realize we need to just not always perfectly understand why everything that might have happened did and just stop and say "ok that was hosed up and my fault and I'm sorry" etc.

Edit: also just like I am doing right now we like to Devils Advocate literally anything and everything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1068915229415723008

That Works posted:

Edit: also just like I am doing right now we like to Devils Advocate literally anything and everything.

please not proud boys, please not proud boys, please not proud boys

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1068915229415723008

please not proud boys, please not proud boys, please not proud boys

Hahah I'm not that bad. Just, I can kinda see it why Neil as an academic might respond that way if he thinks like a lot of us seem to, but also as a celebrity would, and it's bad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The plot thickens: 5'th fleet CO Adm. Stearney's death apparent suicide.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/scott-stearney-us-navy-admiral-found-dead-apparent-suicide-2018-12-01/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That would make him potentially the highest ranking active (i.e. not retired) officer to commit suicide I can think of. MG Rossi was a day away from his third star when he took his own life.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So even if he beats the sexual harassment rap, he stands likely of being convicted of cultural appropriation by the Internet Court.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
gently caress that, mock him for bringing up a "person's vital spirit energy" while tweeting non loving stop about how star wars or other sci-fi/fantasy aren't scientifically accurate.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
He was just on an amazing Colbert episode, too. Stephen appeared as a guest to be interviewed by a bunch of former guests and Jon Stewart. I'm pretty sure that must have been after the first allegations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

gently caress that, mock him for bringing up a "person's vital spirit energy" while tweeting non loving stop about how star wars or other sci-fi/fantasy aren't scientifically accurate.

100% this

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If Idris Elba turns out to be a creepy sex offender that abused his position, I might lock myself into my room and throw a temper tantrum. Like, 13 year-old learning the Backstreet Boys dissolved temper tantrum.

I occasionally go into my bedroom and scream into a pillow. It made 2018 bearable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't have any particularly strong opinions on NDT one way or the other. Science educators are important these days (it says a lot that we need celebrity evangelists to convince the basic population that science is good) and I don't really follow him beyond watching like an interview or documentary here or there that happens to have him.

I'm sure as poo poo not surprised that a guy that became famous abused that position of status though. I don't think he'll be able to wiggle his way out of this, because there's never just one. Or two. There's more.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

EBB posted:

I occasionally go into my bedroom and scream into a pillow. It made 2018 bearable.

I started just making doubles as my default drinks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tyson and Bill Nye are terrible science ambassadors.

Beekman, AvE, and those Ukranian kids that keep cooking their own ballsacks with disassembled microwave ovens while the russians shell their neighborhood are good science ambassadors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU8WZR9DNA

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 2, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Who's Beekman?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Beekman was the saturday morning competition of Bill Nye. He ran on Fox while Nye was on CBS.

At least Tyson's not the ancient aliens level of crazy that Michio Kaku has exposed himself to be.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

Who's Beekman?

Imagine Mr Wizard, Andrew Dice Clay, and the distilled essence of 90s graphic design all had a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBmuQzlLr-g

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wish Carl Sagan was still alive :(

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
actually the only good science ambassadors are Dr. Bunson Honeydew and his assistant Beaker

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

We'll always have The Meat Planet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

We'll always have The Meat Planet.

Sounds an awful lot like FlavorTown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Steve Irwin, too. Though his son is a spitting image of him, he’s also only 14 (but still publishing gorgeous photos left and right).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sometimes nerds just need to get shoved into a locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
wow, i had totally forgotten Beakmans World existed