Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Went to visit parents, came home with an oldish laptop (2010?).

Still, free laptop is best laptop. Slapped a spare SSD in, trying to get a Win10 upgrade on it (I know most legit paths are shut down, trying one I suspect still works) - if I can't, I'm either stuck with Win7 or going to toss Linux on it. It's a Pentium T4400 w/4GB RAM, not exactly a powerhouse, and the battery is toasted (meh, :20bux: for a knockoff on Amazon), but it'll be nice to have a laptop again.

The kicker: it only has one RAM slot. Did they ever make 8GB DDR2 sticks, or did they max out at 4GB? It'd be nice to slap 8GB in, but I'm not having any luck with the googles.

Oh yeah. GF's doctor closed for the holidays, she ran out of her ADD meds, and her doctor has no emergency contact number. :argh: (it's also a schedule 2 drug, so none of this "hey pharmacist, I can't get ahold of my doctor, can you spot me a few?" stuff that works on non-controlled substances). I know amphetamine withdrawal isn't the end of the world, but hoooooooly poo poo she's bitchy. I guess the upside is she's sleeping a lot.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Still, free laptop is best laptop. Slapped a spare SSD in, trying to get a Win10 upgrade on it (I know most legit paths are shut down, trying one I suspect still works) - if I can't, I'm either stuck with Win7 or going to toss Linux on it. It's a Pentium T4400 w/4GB RAM, not exactly a powerhouse, and the battery is toasted (meh, :20bux: for a knockoff on Amazon), but it'll be nice to have a laptop again.

The kicker: it only has one RAM slot. Did they ever make 8GB DDR2 sticks, or did they max out at 4GB? It'd be nice to slap 8GB in, but I'm not having any luck with the googles.

Someone sells Windows 10 keys for $25 in SA Mart. If you go the Linux route, I'm a big fan of Ubuntu MATE.

Are you sure it's ddr2? It seems late to be running ddr2.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Pentium T4400 is prob ddr2

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah it's DDR2. It was a low end laptop for its day. I'm annoyed as hell that it only has 1 RAM slot, but meh.

And the Win10 upgrade path worked; it shows "Windows is activated with a digital license". It's still sluggish, but I suspect it's doing a lot of poo poo in the background (using it now, keeps up w/typing fine, but every now and then I hear the device connected/disconnected sound and see a brief driver install popup). Plus, well, it's a T4400. Not exactly a high end CPU in its day.

I need to find a PCI-x NIC that supports 5 GHz now; 2.4 is so loving saturated where I'm at. At least it's a standard PCI-x module.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

my tablet has a lovely atom processor and windows update constantly running poo poo in the background absolutely murders anything else you try to do with it sometimes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Newegg has an 8GB SODIMM of DDR for $28.

edit: Never mind it is 4x2GB, but was labeled weird.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

my tablet has a lovely atom processor and windows update constantly running poo poo in the background absolutely murders anything else you try to do with it sometimes.

Thank gently caress it's not quite THAT lovely. I had one of those tablets, and it was.... painful. This isn't terrible, it's just mildly annoying when you're used to an i7. All I plan to use it for is web stuff, so it'll meet that need fine. 10 runs a little better than 7 did on it, FWIW.

Just found that the windows compatibility something or other was murdering the CPU and hammering the SSD. Found some forums posts on that issue and how to disable it (it's a phone home app that sends MS data about performance and compatibility issues, go figure). Seems to have made a decent difference, but it's definitely hammering away at something in the background. Brand new install, so I'm guessing it's just doing typical post-install stuff and checking for updates. :ohdear:

e: huh, battery isn't completely toast. just unplugged it, it's still showing 100% after several minutes. I suspect I'll get about 15-20 minutes out of it at best, though (and not the 3h:02m Windows is predicting).
e2: 100% with 2:36 now :laffo: I give it another 10 minutes before it croaks. It's a nearly 9 year old li-ion battery from a laptop that wasn't unplugged for over 5 years...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 31, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeh win10 will thrash the system for a long time post install. Its best if you make a new USB stick to install on a fresh system, minimizes the amount of updates

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's exactly what I did, via the official MS media creation tool. It wasn't prompting to install any updates, just seemed to be digging for drivers in the background (i.e. 5 minutes into the first actual desktop session, it went from VGA to 1366xwhatever with no warning).

So battery results: it lasted a little under 30 minutes, without much active use (screen kept on, but only occasional web browsing with Chrome, nothing else has been installed yet), before it tried to hibernate (which was apparently too much of a draw for the battery, it powered off in the middle of hibernating). That's with the SSD in there (an old Samsung EVO 840) instead of the HDD it came with. A no-name battery is less than :20bux:, and that's about the max amount of money I want to throw at a 9 year old Asus. I might try tossing elementalOS on it instead; it's only going to be used for music and web stuff, mayyyyyyyybe some Word (or OpenOffice if I go Linux).

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
e: nm, missed the play-by-play and see you got it activated.

ee: Don't use OO, use Google Docs, otherwise just splurg some of that "I make $100k/y with the gig economy" dosh and get an Office 365 sub.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 31, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah there's Office 2019, seller on samart has it for $65. Better than a subscription.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fermented Tinal posted:

otherwise just splurg some of that "I make $100k/y with the gig economy" dosh and get an Office 365 sub.

Lol, less than half that, but I do have an Office 365 sub, courtesy of the university I attended for 2 semesters.

For whatever reason, they never deactivated my access to Office; I have to login through the university's email system (which is just hosted by OWS anyway), then go through a few drop downs, but I have access to Office 365 (5 PC license) through that. It's been 6 years since I attended. :iiam:

It seems to be tied to my Microsoft account, which is... through the university. So if they ever kill that account, uh, guess I'm gonna have to do a reinstall of Windows. Maybe I should make a local-only admin account someday... :v: They normally keep their .edu email accounts active for all alumni, but I didn't graduate, so I don't qualify as alumni. Not complaining.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

Is there a New Years resolution thread? I forgot mine from last year.

Not sure if we've had one for a while. Probably not since IOC was mod king. It was a good idea and fun to read a year later.

Mine would be too boring to post since I'm really in maintenance mode of "just keep the DDs running" and have no time (or :effort:) for project cars. Semi-transportation related would be to keep riding my bike and not get hurt this year. :unsmith:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
New Years resolution is simple this year, build a house. Don’t die or go bankrupt as side bets.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mariooncrack posted:

Someone sells Windows 10 keys for $25 in SA Mart. If you go the Linux route, I'm a big fan of Ubuntu MATE.

Thanks for the heads up on the Windows 10 licenses. I've been needing one for the past few months now.

STR posted:

Lol, less than half that, but I do have an Office 365 sub, courtesy of the university I attended for 2 semesters.

For whatever reason, they never deactivated my access to Office; I have to login through the university's email system (which is just hosted by OWS anyway), then go through a few drop downs, but I have access to Office 365 (5 PC license) through that. It's been 6 years since I attended. :iiam:

It seems to be tied to my Microsoft account, which is... through the university. So if they ever kill that account, uh, guess I'm gonna have to do a reinstall of Windows. Maybe I should make a local-only admin account someday... :v: They normally keep their .edu email accounts active for all alumni, but I didn't graduate, so I don't qualify as alumni. Not complaining.

They never canceled mine either and if they do I'm going to call and complain. I should have office for life for the amount I paid to get my degree.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the Windows 10 licenses. I've been needing one for the past few months now.

If you have a working Win7/8/8.1 install (as in activated), you can download the Windows 10 installation media creator and click "upgrade this computer". It still works, for some reason.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hank56n3GuQ

Goodbye 2018, hello 2019!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

If you have a working Win7/8/8.1 install (as in activated), you can download the Windows 10 installation media creator and click "upgrade this computer". It still works, for some reason.

Oh awesome. Yeah I've been using the same copy of 7 ultimate for the past 6 years.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

:stare: :stonk:

quote:

Before long, I should probably get one of those mold-your-own kits. Don't want to miss the opportunity for a deeply ironic strap-on

OMG, I had to laugh. I have a friend in transition that I am absolutely, totally, suggest this, just to watch her face.

Humphreys posted:

I like Dicken's Cider.

Have you tried it warmed up? My wife loves a hot Dicken's Cider.

STR posted:

Yeah it's DDR2. It was a low end laptop for its day. I'm annoyed as hell that it only has 1 RAM slot, but meh.

And the Win10 upgrade path worked; it shows "Windows is activated with a digital license". It's still sluggish, but I suspect it's doing a lot of poo poo in the background (using it now, keeps up w/typing fine, but every now and then I hear the device connected/disconnected sound and see a brief driver install popup). Plus, well, it's a T4400. Not exactly a high end CPU in its day.

I need to find a PCI-x NIC that supports 5 GHz now; 2.4 is so loving saturated where I'm at. At least it's a standard PCI-x module.

In my experience, Win10 will activate with a Win7 or 8 COA. I don't know how you did it, but this has worked for me in the past. You just need to use the MS Media Creation Tool to DL the ISO or installer. MS seems to really want to get everyone off of 7/8.

STR posted:

Yeah, that.
Even if it's not working, you should be able to use the COA sticker.

New Year's resolution: definitely need to lose some fatass. About 65 pounds or so should do it.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
PRO

JECT

BIN

KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pNV_FPH10

mewse
May 2, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

PRO

JECT

BIN

KY

I wonder how many people-hours are in that thing

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Y’all are posting in the last year thread. Get in on that sweet 2019 chatski.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Oh yeah. GF's doctor closed for the holidays, she ran out of her ADD meds, and her doctor has no emergency contact number. :argh: (it's also a schedule 2 drug, so none of this "hey pharmacist, I can't get ahold of my doctor, can you spot me a few?" stuff that works on non-controlled substances). I know amphetamine withdrawal isn't the end of the world, but hoooooooly poo poo she's bitchy. I guess the upside is she's sleeping a lot.

I have never seen 8gb ddr2 and I have had a computer shop for almost 7 years. Sometimes there is another slot under keyboard on those older laptops what model?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

everdave posted:

I have never seen 8gb ddr2 and I have had a computer shop for almost 7 years. Sometimes there is another slot under keyboard on those older laptops what model?

Well, it exists in FBDIMM (:spergin:), but I haven't seen it in a SODIMM either. I think that started with DDR3. Which a computer from 2010 should be using, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
HAPPY NEW YEAR!