Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i really really liked the doc. the last part in particular hit on a bunch of the reasons why I don't find the UFC as interesting as I did 10 years or so ago when i originally got into it. it was very bizarre and weird and had a particular brand and point of view, even if that was metal mulisha, josh koscheck threatening to motorboat GSP's rear end, condom depot shorts, face the pain, etc.

now it's just way more bland even if it's more 'polished', and the fighters personalities are way less interesting even if the skill level has gone up, and the experience of being a fan was better when there were fewer cards and you got to know more fighters and see more important fights on fewer cards.

i think part of sage's appeal here besides his Lean Body is that he's a throwback to the years ago when fighters were more easily seen weirdos, were on more blatant roids, and his career has been fairly easy to follow even as a guy on the bottom rung.

i understand why they're doing it, and it's probably good business to do it with the value of live sports as an investment for the PE fucks and for streaming rights. but i don't personally like it as much anymore, and it could be a bad strategy in the longterm. nascar was like 5-10 years ahead of the UFC in getting more corporatized and bland and changing sponsors and removing the danger and weirdness and the bizarre drivers. they've lost like half their attendance and most of their ratings in the last 10 years, but they've got a huge TV deal still.

Question for you all: Do you think the homogenization of fighters is more due to the increase in the number of fighters (because they can't all be Diego Sanchez) or the uniforms and peripheral things? Or maybe it's more due to marketing, but I can understand how challenging it would be to find interesting and unique things to talk about with every single fighter.

My assumption is it's the former and there are still about the same number of weirdos in the sport more or less, but there are just a lot more non-weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Neurosis posted:

Agreed but even if someone is fine with PEDs in general there's another aggravating factor in combat sports in that PED taking directly leads to people being brutally beaten probably worse than they would have been otherwise

vitor.gif

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Veskit posted:

Also I really don't believe the PED thing was a contributing factor so maybe that's why i'm wildly baffled by all this unless everyone thinks Jones has always been roided? Like forever?

lol

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

kensei posted:

God drat JBJ is a loving moron

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

yo someone make a god drat GDT

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

JaySB posted:

Yo, the fights aren't until tomorrow. So it's not GD. Chill.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878259 let's do this everyone

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You wanted the GDT posted a day early that badly?

JaySB posted:

I was hoping for a Bluedeanie effort GDT since it's the last of the year, but here we are.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't care when or where people post poo poo I was just commenting on the fact that he was super concerned there was no thread then posted one immediately after even though someone else was probably working on one but if you wanna slap fight about it I'm gonna want to pray first

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Which subforum? I don't like being linked to WWE.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Morphix posted:

is it true that once you've done steroids you can't go off them?

or is that like only a thing for TRT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Some people are impatient I guess :shrug:

nothing is sacred. nothing is even good. much respect but mine is more appropriate at this time.